PDA

View Full Version : Why do you want a season this year? a possible 2012 Draft scenario

RekeHavoc
10-14-2011, 11:50 AM
I believe that if there is no season this year, for there to be the same draft order of the 2011 draft, it would be unfair to everyone. so this is what i think will happen and it probably will if there is no season:

everyone gets the same percentage chance at all the picks, the entire 1st and 2nd rounds would be by lottery form, it would be great, imagine your favorite team:Bulls, heat, lakers, celtics, magic, knicks etc. being able to add that 1 missing piece to ur roster and be able to put you "over the top"

the heat could get a center, the bulls could get a shooting guard, the lakers could get a pg, the knicks could get(well they need alot of ****)

what do you think of having everyone have the same percentage chance, fair or unfair?

sep11ie
10-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Cool story.

Jamiecballer
10-14-2011, 12:03 PM
it think it would absolutely have to be a lottery with everyone having equal odds. i agree.

juno10
10-14-2011, 12:07 PM
i think they'll just do what the nhl did,draft is there to help weak teams not make strong ones stronger.

fadedmario
10-14-2011, 12:10 PM
It will be the same lottery teams guaranteed. Or they just won't have a draft at all.

Hellcrooner
10-14-2011, 12:11 PM
mmmmmm why the **** woudl lakers need a PF?

Pierzynski4Prez
10-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Not gonna happen. If it did, and a top team got the #1 pick, people would be irate. Depending on the team, the conspiracy accusations would be out in full force.

Pierzynski4Prez
10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
On top of that, some of the top teams don't even need to add the rookie, but could use say a top 10 pick they get as trade bait to make themselves even better than drafting a rookie.

juno10
10-14-2011, 12:21 PM
imagine andre drummond going to miami? thats when i swear off the nba

MR.TRIPDUB
10-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Give all the teams balls with the worst team from last season with more and the best with the least, possibly just one ball. If the good teams still manage to win it then lucky them.

Pierzynski4Prez
10-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Give all the teams balls with the worst team from last season with more and the best with the least, possibly just one ball. If the good teams still manage to win it then lucky them.

I wouldn't even do that. Bulls, Spurs, Heat, Mavs, Lakers, Thunder, C's, Knicks, Magic. If anyone of those teams "magically" got the #1 pick, or even top 3 pick, there would be a mass outrage.

LakersIn5
10-14-2011, 12:32 PM
it would be unfair for dan gilberts cavs to be awarded back to back no.1 picks for sucking so much

Hellcrooner
10-14-2011, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't even do that. Bulls, Spurs, Heat, Mavs, Lakers, Thunder, C's, Knicks, Magic. If anyone of those teams "magically" got the #1 pick, or even top 3 pick, there would be a mass outrage.

lakers = magic Johnson AND Worhty.
Magic = Shaq AND webber ( traded for hardaway)
SPurs= TIm Duncan.
Bulls = Derick Rose.

its nothing so new that a good team gets the top pick out of a previous trade or because of an injury riddled season.

So why should anybody be irate?

juno10
10-14-2011, 12:36 PM
it would be unfair for dan gilberts cavs to be awarded back to back no.1 picks for sucking so much

yah thats why you just give it to the raptors problem solved.

Pierzynski4Prez
10-14-2011, 12:41 PM
lakers = magic Johnson AND Worhty.
Magic = Shaq AND webber ( traded for hardaway)
SPurs= TIm Duncan.
Bulls = Derick Rose.

its nothing so new that a good team gets the top pick out of a previous trade or because of an injury riddled season.

So why should anybody be irate?

I think a big part of this CBA is aimed towards equality across the league and improving that. So if they did this, and somehow the rich get richer, you'd have a lot of pissed off people in places like Toronto, cleveland, Minnesota, Washing, Sac. There are no injury riddled teams for this draft. They can't stop teams owning other teams picks however. Its the league handing the top teams a chance at getting a top 3, top 5, top 10 pick.

Plus you already have a lot of skeptical fans in the NBA, they risk increasing that amount by giving teams like LA, CHI, NY, MIA a shot at the #1 pick, no matter how low of a chance it is.

Bravo95
10-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Alphabetical order, by location. :cool:

MR.TRIPDUB
10-14-2011, 12:52 PM

I know but dont you think its also unfair for the bad teams to get another lottery pick without even playing? What if it turned out that kyrie irving is such a phenom that could have carried the cavs to the playoffs.

THE GIPPER
10-14-2011, 12:54 PM
They should combine the regular season records for the last 5 seasons for all the teams and the team with the worst record gets #1. This would suck for cleveland but other than that its not too bad.

MR.TRIPDUB
10-14-2011, 12:58 PM
They should combine the regular season records for the last 5 seasons for all the teams and the team with the worst record gets #1. This would suck for cleveland but other than that its not too bad.

I like this one too but at least still have the lottery for maybe 1-10.

daleja424
10-14-2011, 01:00 PM

Yup something like this would work. Maybe weight each season different though. And only 3 years

2010-2011 wins are worth 3 points
2009-2010 wins are worth 2 points
2008-2009 wins are worth 1 points

Then do a lottery based on that for the top three spots (everyone else just lines up)

THE GIPPER
10-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Does anyone know who would get #1 overall if this were to happen?

PhillyFaninLA
10-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Why not have the lottery order reversed and keep all other picks the same. Seems to be a fair alternative to a bunch of different strategies proposed.

THE GIPPER
10-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Why not have the lottery order reversed and keep all other picks the same. Seems to be a fair alternative to a bunch of different strategies proposed.

So you want dallas and miami to have the top 2 picks?

Edit: nvm read your post wrong

Kevj77
10-14-2011, 01:25 PM
The should do what the NHL did. I can't remember it exactly, but it went something like this a lottery based off, regular season record, playoff appearances, how far they advanced in the playoffs over a 5 year span.

Having the same draft order isn't fair either there are always teams that improve and get worse. It would however mostly likely eliminate the best teams.

beasted86
10-14-2011, 01:27 PM
i think they'll just do what the nhl did,draft is there to help weak teams not make strong ones stronger.

NHL did record over last 3 years. Pretty sure Dan Gilbert would be screaming bloody murder if they did that, as well as a few others.

spreadeagle
10-14-2011, 01:44 PM
you will add up the teams win lose records over the past 3 seasons..so teams who really need help will get it...I second what someone else said,if Andre Drummond goes to the Heat somehow im doneski with NBA lol

spreadeagle
10-14-2011, 01:46 PM
it just ****ing figures the year the raptors have a great shot at the #1 pick in an amazing draft and of course its gunna be some screwy draft where we end up getting 12th or something...effin pro sports makes me lose my mind sometimes haha

rapsjaysfan88
10-14-2011, 01:58 PM
well the teams that sucked last will suck this year so you mind as well keep the same lottery chances.

beasted86
10-14-2011, 01:58 PM
it just ****ing figures the year the raptors have a great shot at the #1 pick in an amazing draft and of course its gunna be some screwy draft where we end up getting 12th or something...effin pro sports makes me lose my mind sometimes haha

What are you talking about? The Raptors would have a weaker shot at the #1 than they did last year based on prior 3 season's records.

todu82
10-14-2011, 02:07 PM
As I've said before, have the same type of draft lottery the NHL did when they lost a season. Base it upon the results of the past 3 seasons so that each team gets a chance to get the #1 pick but the non-playoff teams have more chances.

fadedmario
10-14-2011, 02:17 PM
They should cancel the draft. Can you imagine how loaded the 2013 draft would be? Every team would get a star caliber player in the 1st round. Seems fair to me. Cancel the whole ****ing thing in 2012.

OGMarkWahlberg
10-14-2011, 02:17 PM
imagine andre drummond going to miami? thats when i swear off the nba

this is exactly what i was thinking .. you know stern will rig the draft so miami can get a big man

juno10
10-14-2011, 02:24 PM
NHL did record over last 3 years. Pretty sure Dan Gilbert would be screaming bloody murder if they did that, as well as a few others.

who cares about dan gilbert i thought everyone started ignoring him ever since the "letter"

Chill_Will_24
10-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Thats crazy cuz either way they do it Minnesota will prolly end up with a top pick and that pick belongs to LAC :speechless: Drummond and Griffin in the same team? LAC has been stocking up young talent like crazy

juno10
10-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Thats crazy cuz either way they do it Minnesota will prolly end up with a top pick and that pick belongs to LAC :speechless: Drummond and Griffin in the same team? LAC has been stocking up young talent like crazy

clippers will find some way to screw it up

spreadeagle
10-14-2011, 03:50 PM
What are you talking about? The Raptors would have a weaker shot at the #1 than they did last year based on prior 3 season's records.

ya I know thats what im saying...its gunna be some oddball draft and because we were a average team with Bosh we will fall in the draft if it is like the nhl lockout style draft...cause I know if there is a season this yr we aint winning hardly any games especially since our #5 pick dont come over till next yr

beasted86
10-14-2011, 03:55 PM
ya I know thats what im saying...its gunna be some oddball draft and because we were a average team with Bosh we will fall in the draft if it is like the nhl lockout style draft...cause I know if there is a season this yr we aint winning hardly any games especially since our #5 pick dont come over till next yr

Yeah, so we should all just hope for an NBA season so that the draft chances are correct.

spreadeagle
10-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Yeah, so we should all just hope for an NBA season so that the draft chances are correct.

Im gunna be so hooked on NCAA ball this yr with all these good prospects,im gunna have to supersize my cable package

naps
10-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Not gonna happen. Can you Imagine the conspiracy theories if the Heat landed one of the top picks? I have no idea how they are gonna do that. May be do a lottery with last years bottom 15 teams. One way or other it's gonna be criticized. I would rather not have a draft and let them mature for one more year. Then 2013 draft class will be one of the most loaded classes of all time, if not the most.

spreadeagle
10-14-2011, 04:13 PM
isnt the most simple answer to re do the lottery with the teams from last year ..that way the cavs dont get super stacked and have back to back #1 picks unless they get lucky and win the lottery again

Tmath
10-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Troll thread

KingPosey
10-14-2011, 05:02 PM
I believe that if there is no season this year, for there to be the same draft order of the 2011 draft, it would be unfair to everyone. so this is what i think will happen and it probably will if there is no season:

everyone gets the same percentage chance at all the picks, the entire 1st and 2nd rounds would be by lottery form, it would be great, imagine your favorite team:Bulls, heat, lakers, celtics, magic, knicks etc. being able to add that 1 missing piece to ur roster and be able to put you "over the top"

the heat could get a center, the bulls could get a shooting guard, the lakers could get a PG, the knicks could get(well they need alot of ****)

what do you think of having everyone have the same percentage chance, fair or unfair?
fixed.

imagesrdecievin
10-14-2011, 05:44 PM
If they go the NHL route - they should cap how many slots a team can move up from last years position. Maybe like 10 slots is the max a team can advance?

Jamiecballer
10-14-2011, 05:58 PM
i really hope they go even odds - i think it would be total ******** to presume the results of a season that never happens. let's face it, most if not all the teams in the league are one catastrophic season ending injury away from a disastrous season. fair in the truest sense would be to give everyone an equal shot because you have to acknowledge crazy **** does happen from season to season.

thenetslegend
10-14-2011, 06:07 PM
stern is gonna rig it so nets get the top pick anyway :)

Dade County
10-15-2011, 12:41 AM
You guys still hate the HEAT? Just F'in around...

The best Idea I saw was to cancel the 2012 draft.

But the one I like is, everyone has a chance at that number one pick, every fan would tune in just to build up their hate over that weekend, and all of you guys have a strong feeling that the HEAT would get that # 1 pick; I wonder why.

But in all honesty cancel the draft, no good can come from it... Too much hate will come from it. No one will be happy, only the fans of the top 2 picks.

Corey
10-15-2011, 01:08 AM
The point of the draft is to help attempt to balance the power in the NBA and give poor teams a cost effective way at improving their team by adding talent.

It makes absolutely no sense to have the entire NBA to have a shot at the #1 pick. None.

GodsSon
10-15-2011, 01:38 AM
The point of the draft is to help attempt to balance the power in the NBA and give poor teams a cost effective way at improving their team by adding talent.

It makes absolutely no sense to have the entire NBA to have a shot at the #1 pick. None.

This.

mttwlsn16
10-15-2011, 02:15 AM
It will be the same lottery teams guaranteed. Or they just won't have a draft at all.

sweet so the clipps get the #1 pick, and the #2 pick (twolves)
:clap:

gilly
10-15-2011, 03:57 AM
There should be three lotteries:

The first should be the teams who were 1-10 in the lottery in 2011, all with equal odds to get the #1 pick. LA, Minnesota, New Jersey, Cleveland, Toronto, Washington, Sacramento, Detroit and Charlotte.

The second should be the teams who were 11-20 in the 2011 draft, all with equal odds to get the #11 pick. Golden State, Utah, Phoenix, Houston, Indiana, Philadelphia, New York, Atlanta, New Orleans and Memphis.

The second should be the teams who were 21-30 in the 2011 draft, all with equal odds to get the #21 pick. Portland, Denver, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Boston, Dallas, Lakers, Miami, Dallas and Chicago.

This way you wouldn't get a stacked team getting a great pick, it's likely most of the top 10 teams would be in the lottery again anyway.

imagesrdecievin
10-15-2011, 12:03 PM
There should be three lotteries:

The first should be the teams who were 1-10 in the lottery in 2011, all with equal odds to get the #1 pick. LA, Minnesota, New Jersey, Cleveland, Toronto, Washington, Sacramento, Detroit and Charlotte.

The second should be the teams who were 11-20 in the 2011 draft, all with equal odds to get the #11 pick. Golden State, Utah, Phoenix, Houston, Indiana, Philadelphia, New York, Atlanta, New Orleans and Memphis.

The second should be the teams who were 21-30 in the 2011 draft, all with equal odds to get the #21 pick. Portland, Denver, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Boston, Dallas, Lakers, Miami, Dallas and Chicago.

This way you wouldn't get a stacked team getting a great pick, it's likely most of the top 10 teams would be in the lottery again anyway.

works for me.

dee279
10-15-2011, 04:15 PM
i believe the Heat and Knicks traded off their picks so i dont see them getting anything

Tony_Starks
10-15-2011, 04:27 PM

the heat could get a center, the bulls could get a shooting guard, the lakers could get a pf, the knicks could get(well they need alot of ****)

If they did that and somebody like the Lakers or Miami got the first pick they're would be people literally crying over it and talking about how the league is rigged and blah blah blah....

Would be nice but the uproar would be too much.

HouRealCoach
10-16-2011, 12:48 AM
I think that the Lakers would magically get the number one pick

RekeHavoc
10-18-2011, 08:57 AM
mmmmmm why the **** woudl lakers need a PF?

sorry, i meant PG, the G is next to the F so it was an accident

gwrighter
10-18-2011, 01:15 PM

exactly.

Take the lottery teams of last season. Don't account for traded picks, EG: the cavs don't get two picks. & weight the results of the last few seasons in terms of figuring out the odds.

& for the rest of the league do a similar weighting reference for relative standing but with exclusion from a lottery selection.

heyman321
10-18-2011, 07:50 PM
They'll do what the NHL did. Give higher odds to the crappy teams and make a gradient towards lower odds for better teams. Makes sense.

Sinestro
10-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Yup something like this would work. Maybe weight each season different though. And only 3 years

2010-2011 wins are worth 3 points
2009-2010 wins are worth 2 points
2008-2009 wins are worth 1 points

Then do a lottery based on that for the top three spots (everyone else just lines up)

Using this system the order would be..
30.Lakers
29Spurs
28.Magic
27.Mavericks
26.Celtics
25.Heat
24.Nuggets
23.Bulls
22.Trailblazers
21.Thunder
20.Hawks
19.Suns
18.Jazz
17.Rockets
16.Hornets
15.Cavaliers
14.Grizzlies
13.Bucks
12.Bobcats
11.76ers
10.Knicks
9.Pacers
8.Warriors
7.Pistons
6.Raptors
5.Clippers
4.Wizards
3.Kings
2.Nets
1.Timberwolves

RekeHavoc
10-20-2011, 07:27 AM
You guys still hate the HEAT? Just F'in around...

The best Idea I saw was to cancel the 2012 draft.

But the one I like is, everyone has a chance at that number one pick, every fan would tune in just to build up their hate over that weekend, and all of you guys have a strong feeling that the HEAT would get that # 1 pick; I wonder why.

But in all honesty cancel the draft, no good can come from it... Too much hate will come from it. No one will be happy, only the fans of the top 2 picks.

cancel the draft and then the next year, everyone gets a good player??? um, i really doubt that they would cancel it, but it depends on whether there will be basketball nxt year

RekeHavoc
10-20-2011, 07:29 AM
They'll do what the NHL did. Give higher odds to the crappy teams and make a gradient towards lower odds for better teams. Makes sense.

i think thats unfair, caus what if a new team is going to suck this year? they iwll miss out on a top pick

if there is no season, give everyone the same odds, caus u never know which team will suck, i mean what if the pacers win only 30 games this season or something

abe_froman
10-20-2011, 07:50 AM
i think thats unfair, caus what if a new team is going to suck this year? they iwll miss out on a top pick

if there is no season, give everyone the same odds, caus u never know which team will suck, i mean what if the pacers win only 30 games this season or something

yeah you can(with 100% certainty ,no)but still.honestly do you believe say the mavs,heat,bulls,ect. are in danger of hitting the basement? or the cavs of becoming the top team?

no one would be in favor of equal odds(except you) and he's right the nhl model would be used as its the closest thing to fair as you'll get

sf-fanatic
10-20-2011, 02:20 PM
all i know is if the warriors get the #1 pick we better be taking andrew luck

hgtiger32
10-20-2011, 02:35 PM
F that. I want to watch some games

Ezio
10-20-2011, 02:41 PM
So in this situation the Bulls might have a chance of getting Rivers :jumpy:

RekeHavoc
10-24-2011, 07:47 AM
yeah you can(with 100% certainty ,no)but still.honestly do you believe say the mavs,heat,bulls,ect. are in danger of hitting the basement? or the cavs of becoming the top team?

no one would be in favor of equal odds(except you) and he's right the nhl model would be used as its the closest thing to fair as you'll get

how bout teams like the sixers, pacers, celtics, and some other teams that can possibly decline?

RevisIsland
10-24-2011, 07:50 AM
Totally unfair, and totally lose-lose situation for the league, either a big time team wins and everyone claims conspiracy, or a small team wins and the big teams ***** that they never really had a chance and it was rigged against them because the league didn't want to deal with conspiracy theories.

RekeHavoc
10-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Totally unfair, and totally lose-lose situation for the league, either a big time team wins and everyone claims conspiracy, or a small team wins and the big teams ***** that they never really had a chance and it was rigged against them because the league didn't want to deal with conspiracy theories.

if they publicly show the balls being selected, this wont be a problem, its already a conspiracy caus they dont show it so...

RekeHavoc
10-24-2011, 08:15 AM
all i know is if the warriors get the #1 pick we better be taking andrew luck

lol