PDA

View Full Version : Ben Gordon doesnt expect a NBA season for 1-2 years following meetings

Fresno
10-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Gordon was in New York for previous negotiating sessions and said until the past few days, he could tell the owners weren't serious about making a deal and were looking forward to the eventual outcome.

"It just seemed scripted, and they were going through the motions," said Gordon, calling it a valuable learning experience. "Sitting there in front of them you could tell they weren't focused on getting a deal. I still don't know the purpose of those meetings."

He sat in on labor negotiations late last month that Gordon on Tuesday described as a "waste of time."

And the Pistons' shooting guard thinks it's only a matter of time before more games are canceled.

"I think there will be more games missed," Gordon said when reached by phone as he was driving to Chicago. "I expect it might be a year or two. I realized that when I was listening to both sides during the negotiations. I think there will be a lot of games missed and more money is going to go down the drain.

http://www.freep.com/article/20111012/SPORTS03/110120436/1051/sports03

Maybe an over-reaction or finally someone involved in meetings is being honest about how bad this situation is.

thenetslegend
10-12-2011, 03:07 PM
well he hasnt played a nba season in the last 4

85BearsDefense
10-12-2011, 03:15 PM
well he hasnt played a nba season in the last 4

yeah averaging 20 points isnt playing, carrying your team in the playoffs isnt either...

thenetslegend
10-12-2011, 03:18 PM
yeah averaging 20 points isnt playing, carrying your team in the playoffs isnt either...

ok since he joined the pistons then

Dade County
10-12-2011, 03:23 PM
He would know better then any of us :(

gwrighter
10-12-2011, 03:24 PM
lol that would be dumb. no way the players are gonna risk losing close to 4 billion over 2 seasons. they will be making that figure up over the next 4 CBA's. not even worth it.

Fresno
10-12-2011, 03:37 PM
lol that would be dumb. no way the players are gonna risk losing close to 4 billion over 2 seasons. they will be making that figure up over the next 4 CBA's. not even worth it.

If we end up missing an entire season over this, there is little chance that they'll end up caving.

Them caving would be to get 1/2 a season done, but if they let the whole season go then I really doubt that they are going to back down.

Either way it would be reckless on both sides.

nycericanguy
10-12-2011, 03:41 PM
If they didn't play for 2 years they would be destroying the NBA and the players their livelihood. Hell even 1 year will have huge ramifications. Look at what happened to baseball, took them about a decade to recover.

Hawkeye15
10-12-2011, 03:44 PM
no way it goes over 1 season. None. But hypothetically, if they did, they would lose every non-hardore fan, which is a TON of fans

JWO35
10-12-2011, 03:51 PM
If they miss 2 NBA Seasons...the NBA might as well be defunct, there's no coming back from that.

gwrighter
10-12-2011, 03:52 PM
If we end up missing an entire season over this, there is little chance that they'll end up caving.

Them caving would be to get 1/2 a season done, but if they let the whole season go then I really doubt that they are going to back down.

Either way it would be reckless on both sides.

there is no way this is going to happen. They aren't that far apart on paper, just within their minds. They need to adjust their expectations & deal with a lower pay. NBA players will still be the worlds highest paid professional athletes on average at the end of the day so what is there to complain about?

hard_candy
10-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Both sides seem prepared to lose a full season.

Fresno
10-12-2011, 03:56 PM
no way it goes over 1 season. None. But hypothetically, if they did, they would lose every non-hardore fan, which is a TON of fans

I even think some hardcore fans would let it go.

2 seasons? Nah I'd probably become a bigger soccer fan by the time the NBA came back.

I doubt it would hurt the star players pockets too much. That would mean they could sign for a full season in Europe/China without the escape clauses, which would be substantially more money than a 2-3 month loan basically. All the other guys who had gone broke without their NBA paycheck would already be in Europe.

European teams had already filled their rosters out before the European option became a viable one. The first guy I remember leaving was Nenad Kristic who signed immediately in Russia because he knew that spots were limited by then.

ink
10-12-2011, 03:58 PM
there is no way this is going to happen. They aren't that far apart on paper, just within their minds. They need to adjust their expectations & deal with a lower pay. NBA players will still be the worlds highest paid professional athletes on average at the end of the day so what is there to complain about?

This.

DwayneMVPwade
10-12-2011, 04:05 PM
that would suck if no NBA season for 2 years

Bravo95
10-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Doubt it, but that could be a positive for college bball.

Wade>You
10-12-2011, 04:47 PM
I agree with Ben Gordon and I truly believe dissolving the NBA and starting a new league is an option worth looking at.

The owners want to do away with Free Agency. That's kind of a big deal and that is why the player's refuse to accept their horrid proposal.

gwrighter
10-12-2011, 05:16 PM
I agree with Ben Gordon and I truly believe dissolving the NBA and starting a new league is an option worth looking at.

The owners want to do away with Free Agency. That's kind of a big deal and that is why the player's refuse to accept their horrid proposal.

i don't agree with getting rid of free agency. do you have a link to back up that position taken by the owners, where did you get this info?

Hawkeye15
10-12-2011, 05:52 PM
I even think some hardcore fans would let it go.

2 seasons? Nah I'd probably become a bigger soccer fan by the time the NBA came back.

I doubt it would hurt the star players pockets too much. That would mean they could sign for a full season in Europe/China without the escape clauses, which would be substantially more money than a 2-3 month loan basically. All the other guys who had gone broke without their NBA paycheck would already be in Europe.

European teams had already filled their rosters out before the European option became a viable one. The first guy I remember leaving was Nenad Kristic who signed immediately in Russia because he knew that spots were limited by then.

I am as hardcore as they come, and I agree with you. I think younger fans would pick it up quicker, but I am already getting used to the idea of not having a portion of, or an entire lost season, and you know what? I am caring less and less. If the NBA goes away for 2 years, I just become a bigger NFL and college football fan, and will get into something else. College basketball as well.

naps
10-12-2011, 06:21 PM
If this happens then NBA will be in loss for at least couple of years when it comes back eventually. It will lose tons of fans, therefore, billions of dollars. So no, it's not happening.

hard_candy
10-12-2011, 06:28 PM
If this happens then NBA will be in loss for at least couple of years when it comes back eventually. It will lose tons of fans, therefore, billions of dollars. So no, it's not happening.

Please stop talking out of your ***.

VillaMaravilla
10-12-2011, 06:32 PM
who cares , screw the spoiled owners who own these teams like a hobby and screw these players who make millions to play a childs game and still want more aside from the millions upon millions they make on top of all the perks that comes with playing in the NBA and its still not enough, if theres no season oh well, think about we as fans lose nothing at all, no money out of our pockets

Jay
10-12-2011, 06:35 PM
I don't think that I'll see a two-year labor strife in pro sports in my lifetime.

dtmagnet
10-12-2011, 06:55 PM
If this was coming from Derek Fisher's mouth I might care, but Ben Gordon is a nobody in the union as far as I know. And if the NBA were to actually lose 2 seasons in a row that might be the end of it.

LakersMaster24
10-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Doubt it, but that could be a positive for college bball.

Not at all, where do you think all those great college players will be heading to? A lot of these athletes in colleges are given scholarships because they have what it takes to make it to the big leagues.

hard_candy
10-12-2011, 07:09 PM
where do you think all those great college players will be heading to?

They'll become pros, just not in basketball.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but very few college athletes become professional athletes and yet most all of them still enjoy playing college sports, and college students still root them on.

A very small percentage of college athletes who receive scholarships ever become professional athletes.

jetsfan28
10-12-2011, 07:10 PM
I say 50 game season NEXT year

Bulls_fan90
10-12-2011, 07:12 PM
This is pathetic. NBA is a joke.

iliketurtles24
10-12-2011, 07:34 PM
really, sucks for old teams, lakers and celtics and spurs etc

Oldmantrash
10-12-2011, 07:58 PM
who cares , screw the spoiled owners who own these teams like a hobby and screw these players who make millions to play a childs game and still want more aside from the millions upon millions they make on top of all the perks that comes with playing in the NBA and its still not enough, if theres no season oh well, think about we as fans lose nothing at all, no money out of our pockets

Says you, I spend my winter watching the NBA.

It's been a part of my life for 30 years.

Now I'll spend the winter playing modern warfare 3, getting killed and trash talked by 11 year olds.

I'll miss the NBA a lot

Toxeryll
10-12-2011, 08:11 PM
i would be okay for 1 year, but 2 ****ing years?!!? **** u stern

Stack_NJNets
10-12-2011, 08:23 PM
If they miss 2 NBA Seasons...the NBA might as well be defunct, there's no coming back from that.

Nice sig

mttwlsn16
10-12-2011, 09:16 PM
this sucks
i want my league pass

Hangtime
10-12-2011, 09:31 PM
BS and more BS. These guys are talking a lot of nonsense. That's how you play the game. Make up the worst case scenarios and throw them out as possibilities. One season is the extent this thing could go. Talks will get a lot more serious in a few months if nothing is resolved by then. They will reach a deal.

SportsAndrew25
10-12-2011, 10:28 PM
The NBA would be committing suicide if the lost one season, let alone two. This lockout will end much sooner than that. This is an overreaction.

todu82
10-13-2011, 09:33 AM
I still expect the lockout to end in January as it did in 1999, even if it doesn't end in January as I'm predicting I still think they'd have it solved in plenty of time to save the 2012-2013 season.

gwrighter
10-13-2011, 10:28 AM
This is pathetic. NBA player analysis is a joke.

fixed.

GiantsSwaGG
10-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Like I said, as long as David Stern president of the NBA, there won't be an NBA season!

rkelly7
10-13-2011, 11:14 AM
I would be ok with missing two year. Heck, just get rid of the NBA alltogether :P Now we just have to get the lockout ball rolling on the NHL and then curling can replace those two as a national sport :P

Shkelqim
10-13-2011, 11:24 AM
No way, this would ruin way to many careers. Players will take anything if it came to that haahahha

hard_candy
10-13-2011, 04:04 PM
The NBA would be committing suicide if the lost one season, let alone two. This lockout will end much sooner than that. This is an overreaction.

I don't think Paul Allen or Mark Cuban will worry much about losing a few million dollars over a couple of years. They make that much money while brushing their teeth.

In the meantime, the majority of clubs which are losing money, are saving money during the lockout.

The fans will come back on board instantaneously; they are already starving for product.

Oh, and perhaps the knucklehead players don't realize this now, but they'll realize it soon enough: 47% of $4 billion is a heck of a lot better than slavin' at home depot.