PDA

View Full Version : Practice Notes 10/12/11 - Stepan on top line

jetsfan89
10-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Brandon Dubinsky played the left wing alongside Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik in both of the Rangersí games in Europe, then remained there for Mondayís practice in Greenburgh.

But on Wednesday, second-year forward Derek Stepan slid up to take Dubinskyís place on the top line.

The team tried Wojtek Wolski there in the preseason, Dubinsky in Sweden and now appear at least to be considering Stepan.

The presence of Stepan (21 goals, 24 assists last season) on that line to open Wednesdayís practice does not mean he will start there on Saturday. John Tortorella may shed more light on that subject - or may not - when he speaks to the press afterwards.

Tortorella on Monday never committed to Dubinsky as his guy on that trio for the long term, but he also indicated he didnít want to switch anything up right away based on the results of two games at the end of a hectic European tour.

ďItís really tough in those two games and what we did the prior week, week and a half, to really evaluate our team or players together,Ē Tortorella said Monday. ďGoing through practice, and as we start playing our games out west, thatís where weíre going to really find out about what our conceptís like, what our matches are as far as forward lines.Ē

Asked Monday whether Dubinsky would remain on the Richards line at least in the short term, Tortorella said: ďItíll probably be the next game. I donít know how itís all going to work out. Iím going to let it play out. But I - I canít - I just canít forecast. Iím going to let it play out and see where we go with it.Ē

In other words, someone else could be up there with Richards and Gaborik at Fridayís practice. Itís all part of the coach feeling out his team before they hit the road again.

Source (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/rangers/2011/10/john-tortorella-tries-derek-stepan-on-ny-rangers-top-line-with-brad-richards-marian-)

I'm still not opposed to trying Wolski on the top line, but I guess that's not gonna happen.

fingerbang
10-12-2011, 01:32 PM
I want Stepan on the first. He's too good to be buried in the bottom six. Step is a really smart player and he'd fit right in.

nyanks79
10-12-2011, 02:18 PM
I think Wolski is still hurt and he didnt practice. I wouldnt rule him out at all. It seems like this move is to more to get Dubinsky back with Anisimov and Cally and then Feds back with Boyle and Prust. I think when Wolski gets back he will get a good long on the top spot.

YankeeFanAlways
10-12-2011, 03:46 PM
I think Wolski is still hurt and he didnt practice. I wouldnt rule him out at all. It seems like this move is to more to get Dubinsky back with Anisimov and Cally and then Feds back with Boyle and Prust. I think when Wolski gets back he will get a good long on the top spot.

^^^this

bsi
10-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I totally agree with this, I have forever said it was stupid to have one of our most skilled guys in the bottom six, and Fedotenko in the top 6...baffles me.

bsi
10-12-2011, 05:29 PM
I know this is off topic, but I didn't wanna start a new thread because it's just a thought of my own, but what do you think about getting Kyle Turris, maybe sending Wolski, Christensen and a 3rd or something to Phoenix? Phoenix gets two useable players for one they can't use and a 3rd pick, we get someone who would be an upgrade to Wolski or Christensen. Just a thought, is that too much or too little?

jetsfan89
10-12-2011, 08:25 PM
You think Phoenix wants Wolski again? haha i'm pretty sure they'd say no to that. Turris won't go anywhere for at least another year until they're sure he's a bust.

gabby10
10-12-2011, 10:51 PM
1. trade wolski for draft picks
2. bring sean avery back
3. ????
4. profit

bsi
10-13-2011, 06:35 AM
You think Phoenix wants Wolski again? haha i'm pretty sure they'd say no to that. Turris won't go anywhere for at least another year until they're sure he's a bust.

I actually remembered thats where he came from after I got away from the computer..lol. Turris has come out and said he's not playing there from what I heard anyway.

bsi
10-13-2011, 06:36 AM
2. bring sean avery back
3. ????
4. profit

Sean Avery will never be back on this team unless we're decimated by injuries in the playoffs. Putting him on re-entry waivers only causes a potential screw up in our cap, there's no way, no how he's coming back.

dashripdot
10-13-2011, 07:45 AM
I actually remembered thats where he came from after I got away from the computer..lol. Turris has come out and said he's not playing there from what I heard anyway.

If the 'yotes gave up Wolski for Rozsival straight up, they don't want him back.

Redfish
10-13-2011, 09:10 AM
If the 'yotes gave up Wolski for Rozsival straight up, they don't want him back.

It is too early to give up on Wolski. All reports indicated he had a strong off-season and was focused on a break-out year with the Rangers. He looked good, initially, during training camp, and then developed a groin issue which he played with at first until it was obvious he needed some time off the ice.

I am comfortable waiting for a healthy Wolski to play a dozen games before concluding his future with this club is no longer.

I recognize this may ultimately be the case, but I'd like to see what a healthy Wolski playing with our top two forwards, in a critical year for him personally, can do.

dashripdot
10-13-2011, 01:30 PM
If Wolski fails (once he regains his health), the Rangers won't be able to deal him until the deadline, when his oversized cap hit no longer matters much. Sather might get something for him then because of his RFA status, but probably not, because the qualifying offer for him will have to be pretty high. On the other hand, if he plays well whenever he gets healthy, the Rangers might be able to afford to qualify him, but won't have the space to sign him for what he'll want to be paid. "That's some catch, that Catch-22."

saintant182
10-13-2011, 01:48 PM
2. bring sean avery back
3. ????
4. profit

gota give you credit for the great southpark reference here... though im not sure i agree with this, im definitly over the avery thing

Redfish
10-13-2011, 02:52 PM
If Wolski fails (once he regains his health), the Rangers won't be able to deal him until the deadline, when his oversized cap hit no longer matters much. Sather might get something for him then because of his RFA status, but probably not, because the qualifying offer for him will have to be pretty high. On the other hand, if he plays well whenever he gets healthy, the Rangers might be able to afford to qualify him, but won't have the space to sign him for what he'll want to be paid. "That's some catch, that Catch-22."

In this scenario, you are overlooking the fact the Rangers can avoid the "Catch-22" and trade him before the deadline and likely get a nice asset(s) in return. In other words, if Wolski performs well going into the trade deadline, there will be a number of playoff teams that would take on his remaining cap hit at that time in exchange for the primary/secondary scoring he will be providing.

The primary risk the Rangers is incurring the cap hit between now and the trade deadline. That is not immaterial, yet, I probably would have retained this option in order to see if he ramps up his performance playing alongside Richards and Gaborik.

In retrospect, you do have to wonder if the Rangers regret trading Roszival for Wolski at this stage.

Garden Faithful
10-13-2011, 07:26 PM
In this scenario, you are overlooking the fact the Rangers can avoid the "Catch-22" and trade him before the deadline and likely get a nice asset(s) in return. In other words, if Wolski performs well going into the trade deadline, there will be a number of playoff teams that would take on his remaining cap hit at that time in exchange for the primary/secondary scoring he will be providing.

The primary risk the Rangers is incurring the cap hit between now and the trade deadline. That is not immaterial, yet, I probably would have retained this option in order to see if he ramps up his performance playing alongside Richards and Gaborik.

In retrospect, you do have to wonder if the Rangers regret trading Roszival for Wolski at this stage.

The answer is an emphatic no, you got a young player with potential and one year left on a deal and got to get rid of a contract worth more money and a ******** player regardless of our worries on defense now. It was a good deal, period.

dashripdot
10-14-2011, 07:44 AM

If he's playing well, presumably the Rangers are in the hunt, so they won't trade him. That's the "catch" (well, that and his ridiculous cap hit versus what his cap hit would have been had the Rangers bought him out, around $675k).

As for Rozsival, at no time since he re-signed with the Rangers would they have regretted trading him. It was one of those deals where you have to say "Great trade ... who did we get?" It came not a moment too soon.

shtimp7
10-15-2011, 02:16 PM
why is there no game thread? lets get some life in this forum. i'm gonna call goals by cally, anisimov, and boyle

bsi
10-15-2011, 02:36 PM
why is there no game thread? lets get some life in this forum. i'm gonna call goals by cally, anisimov, and boyle

Gaborik, Stepan and Cally for me.