PDA

View Full Version : Amare Stoudemire says players may start own league

jkiddvc20
10-11-2011, 10:10 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7088249/amare-stoudemire-says-players-start-league-locked-out?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I highly doubt this and think he is just talking out of his ***

thenetslegend
10-11-2011, 10:13 PM
yea, that wouldnt work

roshan3ai
10-11-2011, 10:14 PM
:laugh: Classic Amar'e

xbrackattackx
10-11-2011, 10:14 PM
What next?

Baller1
10-11-2011, 10:18 PM
They already asked me to play, this news is for real.

WeaponXXX
10-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Not sure why this wasn't option 1. They should start there own league...

Phase 1
1) Have all players chip in to build 6 giant gyms
2) Have a TV deal in place
3) Have sponsors
4) All revenue

2 years to gauge the success

Phase 2
1) Have a sponsor fund for an entire arena to host some marquee games

With so many people with college education in the league, it should be easy for them to put a blueprints together. Hire a couple of accountants for 60k a year to do taxes and you are all set.

I just want to watch some good basketball -

blahblahyoutoo
10-11-2011, 10:58 PM
LMAO, just listening to Amare speak tells the full story.
stick to basketball big fella.

naps
10-11-2011, 11:11 PM

Phase 1
3) Have sponsors
4) All revenue

Phase 2

With so many people with college education in the league, it should be easy for them to put a blueprints together. Hire a couple of accountants for 60k a year to do taxes and you are all set.

It's not all that simple. Organizing something is more complicated than most of us think. I heard in an interview some analyst said South Florida all star classic proved players can't really form their own league because it requires so much.

Pierzynski4Prez
10-11-2011, 11:15 PM
They should get Vince McMahon to run it and call it the XBA.

RevisIsland
10-11-2011, 11:20 PM
It'd be pretty cool though.

itsripcity32
10-11-2011, 11:24 PM
i think he's serious.

sixer04fan
10-11-2011, 11:34 PM
And what stadiums are they going to play in? How will they be able to afford lease agreements for these stadiums? Who's going to pay their salaries? Insurance? Traveling? Television deals? Staff? Amare, please think before you speak...

It would literally take billions upon billions of dollars, and many years to set up the league, the financing, and to get through all of the legal trouble I'm sure the NBA would bring to court.

PinnacleFlash
10-11-2011, 11:38 PM
LeBron still wouldn't win in a championship there.

Oh and he would want the league to have no traveling .

xbrackattackx
10-11-2011, 11:45 PM
lebron still wouldn't win in a championship there.

t
r
o
l
l
i
n

mekedubs
10-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Isiah Thomas and Magic Johnson tried something like this back in the day... They were trying to start their own league as well and it got shot down by the NBA. Same senario, different player but will produce same results...

Rego247
10-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Good luck with that Amare.

tredigs
10-11-2011, 11:56 PM

Phase 1
3) Have sponsors
4) All revenue

Phase 2

HAHAHAHA

You're good. I admit it - You. Are. Good.

ink
10-11-2011, 11:57 PM
If it takes off it would be interesting to see them negotiate a CBA with themselves. lol. Good luck bud.

blahblahyoutoo
10-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Isiah Thomas and Magic Johnson tried something like this back in the day... They were trying to start their own league as well and it got shot down by the NBA. Same senario, different player but will produce same results...

how did the NBA shoot it down?
unless there was a clause preventing someone from doing so, that's none of the NBA's business.

xbrackattackx
10-12-2011, 12:05 AM
If it takes off it would be interesting to see them negotiate a CBA with themselves. lol. Good luck bud.

I was thinking the same thing. Haha greed.

oak2455
10-12-2011, 12:21 AM

Very funny....:clap:

LA_Raiders
10-12-2011, 01:27 AM

lol...

It will be a league out of control, hangover players, players stoned on the bench, players with guns in the lockers...

Well, its really not different from the NBA. lol

giventofly
10-12-2011, 01:38 AM
:laugh2:

Just listening to these morons talk makes me understand why there will be no basketball for a while.

DodgerBulls
10-12-2011, 01:57 AM

Phase 1
3) Have sponsors
4) All revenue

Phase 2

I lol'd. I work at a small accounting office and one of the 2-3 day audit cost about 15k for a small company. :laugh: And that's only for one audit. Who will do the payroll twice a month for everybody then? That will cost a lot, then many many many many many more.

Also yes some has a degree in Business, but you actually have to apply and update it constantly so you can do your job. You are forgetting all about the finer details. It's easy to make a plan, but to actually execute it properly... not that easy.

And who will pay the players? Do you you can survive just from sponsorship?

gotoHcarolina52
10-12-2011, 02:02 AM

They wouldn't have to negotiate a CBA; they could simply form a partnership and split the equity among themselves. But, yeah, it would be interesting to see them negotiate a partnership agreement between themselves.

beliges
10-12-2011, 02:08 AM
The players are F'ing up. 50/50 is fair.

Law25
10-12-2011, 03:22 AM
If I'm not mistaken there is still an ABA. http://abalive.com/

From 1967 to 1976 the ABA fought a bitter war with the established National Basketball Association (the NBA) for players, fans, and media attention.

I'm with the players on this. Let the war began again. They wont get paid the same in the ABA off the back, but with how quick the leagues popularity would grow owners will have flashbacks and **** their pants.

In case your thinking players will never go I pulled this from there site.

San Antonio, TX. The ABA Texas Fuel today announced that George Hill, the former San Antonio Spurs guard recently traded to the Indiana Pacers, is scheduled to play for the Texas Fuel pending the NBA lockout.

Just saying.....

GIANTKNICK
10-12-2011, 08:19 AM
Dam u guys are killing the idea. why? The NBA wasn't always the only league the was the ABA.
I hate too tell some of you guys but owners didn't pay for these teams out of there pockets. Loans are given. What do you care about, the nba or the play is the play in it.

pebloemer
10-12-2011, 08:36 AM

Phase 1
3) Have sponsors
4) All revenue

Phase 2

I don't think the players would know the first thing about how to start their own league. NBA players don't strike me as the most intelligent businessmen or organizers.... Running their own league? They would need a LOT of help.

Another party of people that actually have a clue what they are doing is the only way a new league is started.

gwrighter
10-12-2011, 08:37 AM
too many players, overhead costs are too high. new MGMT will ask for 50%. where will their new revenue stream come from? TV companies would rip them off, What happens if they get injured? How do you form teams? how do you get Refs? who pays for travel costs? Where is the branding?

If the players truly want to get back at the NBA they just have to all try & sign in different countries & be content with the low salaries. They already have the infrastructure in place. That won't happen, players know how much money there is to lose.

naps
10-12-2011, 08:39 AM

Pathetic troll.

ttam68
10-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Its a bluff but its far from impossible. You guys really don't think they could lock up a tv contract for a 10 team league of all well-known names? They could hire a consultant to manage all the business aspects for the launch and most NBA arenas don't have exclusive contracts with NBA teams. They could charge half the price of admission and fans would flock away from the whining billionaires to see some raw, startup basketball. In the short term it may not be exceptionally profitable, but long term they could generate their own equity, rather then pass it to billionaires, and take 75% of BRI if they wanted. Amares not the first to say this google it.

Lindystud36
10-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Realistically it would not be hard to start a league of their own
Basic Structure would have to be as simple as possible
8 teams, Playing in hockey areans that do not host current NBA Teams
Basically rent out the arena for the night, much like a concert would
Then the ref's would get a precent of the ticket revenue
And the players would split the rest of the revenue

Make it a captians league, and the team can just divy up revenue after taxes, and take out their own insurance for the season.

As far as travel, they could fly coach, and use money from ticket sales -- Or They could rent private Jets, or have corporate sponsors pay for travel

Merchandising would be split from Nike, Air Jordan, Addidas, and Underarmour
Basically just have them issue uniforms, and gear to the teams for free, and all the money they get from selling the items at the stores, they keep 90% of profit and rest goes to the players

To obtain sponsorships, the players could put the companies logo's on their jerseys much like soccer does

As far as TV rights, start off by streaming all the games on the internet - cheap and effective until a cable network wants to pick them up and let the network pay the stadium to shoot the games, and just give a small kickback to the teams

8 teams, 12 players on a team - teams would play 3 game series, with a total of 48 gamesi n the regular season

All 8 teams make the playoffs and are seeded by record

Playoffs are 3 game series until the finals which are 5 games

Mandatory that all teams put ten percent of ticket sales into a league bank account to save for the future, if the league continues to expand, this money will be used, else when the league disbands, the money is divided evenly amongst the teams

I do not understand why there would have to be a hieracy of management, one trainer on the court, and let them play. Keep the structure as simple as possible

And yes I get all of the interstate taxes that would have to be paid, but Anyone can get incorporated, and America is condusive to new companies being started.

I work for the banks, and this is not as hard as it sounds.

ttam68
10-12-2011, 09:16 AM
For anyone who actually wants to be educated on the subject before giving their opinion:

via Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartanderson/2011/08/27/tall-people-who-can-dunk-unite-start-your-own-league/

The NBA lockout is months old and there is no end in sight. One reason is that NBA players have not shown the owners that the players possess a viable alternative to playing in the NBA. To date few players have announced they would play in Europe. NBA owners likely interpret that to mean there is nothing to worry about and if the players want to eat, then they’ll make a deal favorable to the owners. After all, the owners assume, these guys can either play basketball or star in a reality TV series – and there are only so many Kardashian sisters available to marry.

But imagine if NBA players decided to start their own league. That would change the dynamics of the negotiations. And it wouldn’t be that difficult. The players could start a new league, for example, by creating a large cooperative to which all players share in the revenues. None of the teams need an owner; each team just needs a general manager, who can be paid out of revenues. The players – or the cooperative to which the players belong – will be the owner(s).

The idea of players starting their own league originated on the website Wages of Wins Journal.

The primary cause of the NBA lockout is that the owners want the players to swallow much lower salaries, something that has received little attention in the media. “The 30 owners of the National Basketball Association have told the players to take a substantial pay cut,” writes David Berri, co-author of Wages of Wins and Stumbling on Wins and a professor of Economics at Southern Utah University. “And if the players don’t agree, these players are not going to be playing in the NBA for a long time.” You can find a description of Berri’s proposal for a new league here.

Under the most recent NBA collective bargaining agreement, the players receive a fixed 57 percent of revenue. That means the league could attract far less revenue and the players would still come out ahead. (Arturo Galletti explains some of the numbers at the heart of the labor dispute here.)

After teams are established in major cities and venues secured, there is no question a television contract would follow. And then the teams would be selected. Imagine the excitement created by a draft that involves not only recent college players but also all NBA players. The order of the draft would be chosen by lottery. Then the order in the first round could be reversed in later rounds.

Imagine the excitement of a draft where teams get to choose first, second, third, etc. among a group that includes Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Paul and every other NBA star. It would be a real-life fantasy league draft. Perhaps there could be a new draft every year, so every city gets a new chance at securing a star each season.

General managers would be given a pool of money to sign their picks to contracts. Provisions could be made to give players sufficient leverage in these negotiations, while also allowing general managers to stay within a budget.

The beauty of the proposal is that it likely would never get that far. As soon as NBA players presented a credible plan for a new league, the owners would come running. “If the players get serious about this new league, this current lockout will end very quickly,” notes economist David Berri. “The NBA owners appear to think that players are going to be forced give in. After all, there is only one NBA. But the scarce resource in this conflict is not the 30 owners. It really is the players.”

And the owners have a great deal to lose. There is little value in an NBA franchise that does not actually play basketball games in the NBA. So far, the owners have been fortunate that the players have thought like employees, not like entrepreneurs. Underestimating your opponent is never a good idea.

via David Berri (sports economist/stat guy): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-berri/nba-lockout-2011_b_894196.html

The 30 owners of the National Basketball Association have told the players to take a substantial pay cut. And if the players don't agree, these players are not going to be playing in the NBA for a long time. Which means fans of the NBA are not going to see basketball played at the highest level for a long time.

Such extortion is not uncommon for NBA owners. Just ask the people of Sacramento. Earlier in the year it looked like the Kings were on their way to Anaheim. This move was motivated by the apparent unwillingness of the people of Sacramento to build a new arena for the Kings. When Kevin Johnson -- former NBA player and current mayor of Sacramento -- indicated he would find a way to publicly finance the Kings' place of business, the owners of the Kings indicated they would postpone the move to Anaheim.

Unfortunately for cities that host an NBA team, this behavior is often the norm. Robert Baade and Victor Matheson have noted that since 2000, eight NBA teams have begun playing in new (or renovated) stadiums. As the following table indicates, the cost of these stadiums has exceeded $2 billion. Of this cost, $1.75 billion - or 84.1 percent -- came from public funds.

Such public investment in private companies is hardly common in capitalism. Capitalism normally functions as follows:

•Owners provide capital (i.e. buildings, machinery, etc...).

•Workers provide labor.

•Capital and labor are combined to produce output. The revenue generated by this output is used to compensate owners for their contribution of capital and workers for their labor.

In North American sports, though, taxpayer funds are often providing a significant portion of the capital. But the returns to capital are given to the 30 men who own the NBA teams (again, who often are not providing a significant portion of the capital). And now, these 30 owners want to reduce the returns to labor.

In response, players like Deron Williams have indicated that they plan on taking their talents to Europe. There is another simple solution, though, that would actually allow people of North America to continue watching professional basketball at its highest level.

Once again, two groups are being extorted by the 30 NBA owners: cities and players. A simple solution is for these two groups to come together and form a new basketball league, which I am gong to refer to as the Basketball Players Association League (or BPAL). In the BPAL, the cities would act as owners. Already -- as noted -- the cities are providing much of the capital. In the BPAL that practice would continue. But instead of just giving the capital to the 30 men who happen to own the teams, the cities would keep the capital and earn the economic returns this capital generates. Meanwhile, the players would continue to provide the labor (and earn the returns generated by their labor).

If we look at population data from the Census Bureau, we already see a number of cities that could host a professional basketball team. For example, Salt Lake City -- with a metropolitan population of 1.1 million -- currently hosts the Jazz. The following metropolitan areas are a) at least as large as Salt Lake City, b) do not have an NBA team, and c) have hosted a team in professional baseball, professional football, and/or professional hockey: Seattle (3.4 million people), San Diego (3.1 million), St. Louis (2.8 million), Tampa Bay (2.7 million), Baltimore (2.7 million), Pittsburgh (2.4 million), Cincinnati (2.2 million), Kansas City (2.1 million), San Jose (1.8 million), Columbus (1.8 million), Nashville (1.6 million), Jacksonville (1.3 million), and Buffalo (1.1 million). In addition, Canadian cities like Montreal (3.6 million), Vancouver (2.1 million), and Calgary (1.1 million) could also be asked to join. And this list leaves out such places as Las Vegas or even Mexico City.

Of course, these are just the 18 places that don't have a current NBA team. Once this league is established, one suspects many current NBA cities might decide to end their often one-sided relationship with the NBA.

In sum, there are many places the BPAL could operate. But would this new league be profitable? The NBA currently claims that owning a basketball team is bad business. Although such claims are widely reported in the media, examinations from Arturo Galletti (of the Wages of Wins Journal -- see Here and Here) and Nate Silver (of the New York Times) casts serious doubt on the NBA's claims. Furthermore, Joe Lacob -- the newest owner of the Golden State Warriors -- had this to say about the ability to make money on an NBA franchise:

This is an incredible business opportunity. Turning this into a winner No. 1 and running this business better in certain ways... Look, sports franchises appreciate 10% a year on average over three decades, the last three decades. There's no reason to think this won't appreciate in value. So that is the least of my worries. We will make money on this team in appreciation of value.
In reading this quote, remember Lacob is talking about the Warriors, a team that has missed the playoffs in 16 of the last 17 seasons (in a league where over half the teams get in every year). Given Lacob's quote -- and the analysis of Galletti and Silver -- one suspects that the NBA is simply crying poverty in an effort to extract more money from their players.

With the BPAL, though, this behavior can end. The cities and players can come together and form a partnership that ends the practice of 30 men simultaneously extracting money from both workers and taxpayers. And fans can once again go back to watching athletes playing basketball (as opposed to watching basketball players in suits).

Let me close by noting that if the players get serious about this new league, this current lockout will end very quickly. The NBA owners appear to think that players are going to be forced give in. After all, there is only one NBA. But the scarce resource in this conflict is not the 30 owners. It really is the players.

Lacob reportedly paid $450 million for the Warriors. That franchise price only makes sense if LeBron James, Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant, etc... come play his Warriors. If these players are all in a new league, Lacob will stand to lose much of his investment in the Warriors. And the same story will be repeated for the other 29 owners. Faced with potential loss of the one thing fans are willing to pay to see (i.e. elite basketball talent), one suspects the stand the owners are currently taking will crumble.

And when that happens... well, I still think the players and cities should form their own league. Either way, though, fans will once again get to see basketball played at the highest level in the world.

Essentially its a bluff, but not an impossible one. And anything that can create leverage for the players could be a good thing.

Kleonidas
10-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Nba would have no cause for a suit. They locked out the players, I believe. The players could form 8 overseas teams and kill the NBA forever. They of course would lose millions and be black sheep forever. That being said that looks to be exactly what the owners are forcing! The players just tossed down their best card!!!! This is a BAD sign! Don't expect NBA games anytime soon.

gwrighter
10-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Essentially its a bluff, but not an impossible one. And anything that can create leverage for the players could be a good thing.

no question it's a bluff, a pretty bad one at that. These players might as well sign the deal if they are having to use this kind of misdirection. The owners know they have them cornered. I guess they are just waiting for the players to give in.

Kleonidas
10-12-2011, 09:30 AM
To those who think the owners are bigger then the game ,because they have the arenas and money. I would call Magic, Phil Knight, and Murdoch. Fox could stick it to NBC. Magic gives it creditably. Knight and Fox could back any deals to rent a few arenas overseas for a few months. The TV viewers Fox would own from all over the world would more then pay the players and costs.

VillaMaravilla
10-12-2011, 09:44 AM
just another sign that there might be no basketball this year

SportsAndrew25
10-12-2011, 10:30 AM
They should get Vince McMahon to run it and call it the XBA.Watch everyone call this scripted if this happens.

nystandup
10-12-2011, 10:48 AM

You do know Lebron is the most notorious for traveling right?

rwynyc
10-12-2011, 11:13 AM

Phase 1
3) Have sponsors
4) All revenue

Phase 2

Try more like 60k a month for a accountants

sixer04fan
10-12-2011, 11:32 AM
It takes these players a month+ to organize a pickup game in a high school gym somewhere. I would love to see them try to organize a professional sports league themselves.

ink
10-12-2011, 12:09 PM
I don't think the players would know the first thing about how to start their own league. NBA players don't strike me as the most intelligent businessmen or organizers.... Running their own league? They would need a LOT of help.

Another party of people that actually have a clue what they are doing is the only way a new league is started.

Exactly, and that party of people is called "owners". A renegade league would soon understand that playing talent isn't the only talent needed to run as huge an operation as a pro sports league is.

LAKERMANIA
10-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Do they even know how much money you have to put in to creating a new basketball league? I'm sure when they find out they will abandon this idea

Punk
10-12-2011, 12:37 PM
I love how people say "no way lulz" when these same players are putting together these charity games and lockout leagues. Great logic.

Yes, It's possible. Not a legit league like the NFL, NBA, etc but a nice televised league with different teams in different areas is possible like the D-League.

Shmontaine
10-12-2011, 12:42 PM
the fact that these players would NEED other people to pull this off, will IMO lead them right back to where they are now... people will take advantage where they can, and if anyone 'helping' the players form a new league would know the players are dead in the water without them, and exploit them just as the owners are doing now...

sixer04fan
10-12-2011, 12:43 PM
It would be cheaper, quicker, easier, and better for them to just accept the owner's deal than it would to create a whole new league. Think, players. Think!

Shmontaine
10-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I love how people say "no way lulz" when these same players are putting together these charity games and lockout leagues. Great logic.

Yes, It's possible. Not a legit league like the NFL, NBA, etc but a nice televised league with different teams in different areas is possible like the D-League.

how much money do you think this new league will generate??? no matter what, the players make the most money in the NBA.. period... i don't care about BRI in their new league... 80% of 500 million still isn't worth it...

the fact that you compared it to d-league is funny, because the nba pays for the d-league... it wasn't some sole entity that formed its own league.. it was funded and still is funded by the nba..

sixer04fan
10-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Anyone that thinks this is a possibility is completely delusional. I'm sorry.

gwrighter
10-12-2011, 12:52 PM

The bottom line is that whatever amount of money they would make creating a new league(if any) will not amount up to the 2 Billion(guaranteed) they stand to gain by signing the deal that is currently on the table.

NYman15
10-12-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't really see them creating a league, but if the lockout continues, I just see some of the players continuing to travel around the country and play in some of these charity games.

MrfadeawayJB
10-12-2011, 01:07 PM
I hope he is not serious :facepalm:

CavsYanksDuke
10-12-2011, 01:17 PM
It'd be pretty cool though.

Yah.

ink
10-12-2011, 01:34 PM
For anyone who actually wants to be educated on the subject before giving their opinion:

via Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartanderson/2011/08/27/tall-people-who-can-dunk-unite-start-your-own-league/

via David Berri (sports economist/stat guy): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-berri/nba-lockout-2011_b_894196.html

There is historical precedent for creating a breakaway league, but not by players and not as a response to a lockout. The WHA was created in the 1970s and seriously shook up the NHL for a decade. NHL management was at an all-time reactionary low at that time and the league actually benefitted from the challenge. The WHA ended up dissolving back into the NHL a decade later. I'm not pointing this out to draw a parallel to the current NBA but to make a strong contrast. Like it or not, the current NBA is very well run and has very strong leadership, which is why the players are so boxed in. There is no real reason to create a new league because the current league actually benefits the players to a huge degree. Does anyone really think Kobe Bryant or Dwight Howard or Kevin Durant are going to want to be drafted by the Las Vegas Snake Eyes of the new player's league? Hardly. It might be a blast for a half a season but I don't think these guys are really that reckless. They have it good and even with a substantial pay cut they are overpaid, all of them, down to the guy at the very end of the bench. The harsh reality for them is there is no economic/financial argument to use to say that they are underpaid or that a pay cut would be such a hardship. They simply don't deserve as much as they're currently making, and if they want more profit, they have to assume the risk and responsibility of running a franchise, something they don't have the requisite skills to do.

Fresno
10-12-2011, 02:32 PM
There is historical precedent for creating a breakaway league, but not by players and not as a response to a lockout. The WHA was created in the 1970s and seriously shook up the NHL for a decade. NHL management was at an all-time reactionary low at that time and the league actually benefitted from the challenge. The WHA ended up dissolving back into the NHL a decade later. I'm not pointing this out to draw a parallel to the current NBA but to make a strong contrast. Like it or not, the current NBA is very well run and has very strong leadership, which is why the players are so boxed in. There is no real reason to create a new league because the current league actually benefits the players to a huge degree. Does anyone really think Kobe Bryant or Dwight Howard or Kevin Durant are going to want to be drafted by the Las Vegas Snake Eyes of the new player's league? Hardly. It might be a blast for a half a season but I don't think these guys are really that reckless. They have it good and even with a substantial pay cut they are overpaid, all of them, down to the guy at the very end of the bench. The harsh reality for them is there is no economic/financial argument to use to say that they are underpaid or that a pay cut would be such a hardship. They simply don't deserve as much as they're currently making, and if they want more profit, they have to assume the risk and responsibility of running a franchise, something they don't have the requisite skills to do.

What is the reasoning for this?

They are signed to the same contracts you consider to be "overpaid" by the people who have the "requisite skills" to run a Franchise.

This isnt a problem that is their fault.

ink
10-12-2011, 02:38 PM
What is the reasoning for this?

They are signed to the same contracts you consider to be "overpaid" by the people who have the "requisite skills" to run a Franchise.

This isnt a problem that is their fault.

Can't really understand your final sentence, but they share the "fault" if there is any. These are just business negotiations where one side owns the business and wants to fix what they consider a broken system, while the other side wants the status quo because they and their agents have worked hard to exploit gaps in the previous CBA. It's just business. CBA's aren't bullet proof and that's why the owners finally wanted a hard cap: to try to make the next one as bullet proof as possible. They're not going to get a hard cap but they're prepared to wait until they can substantially improve the cap situation for all 30 franchises. Sounds pretty reasonable. I'm sure that any one of us would do the same things to protect our businesses as they are doing if we were in their position. And I'm sure every one of us would try for as much money as possible if we were NBA players. The point? It's a fight between the wealthy, the kind of thing that makes us foolish for taking a side. It doesn't affect our lives. It's their fight. Let them sweat out THEIR problems. There are other things to do for a few months or a year. Seriously.

C_Mund
10-12-2011, 02:59 PM
....this is coming from one of the players that went straight from high school to the nba. Good luck with the business side of that.
If they're willing to go through all the trouble to make new teams, pay for courts and refs and all this....why can't they just accept a smaller percentage of the bri? I'll never go watch a ragtag league of players that make their own teams and probably never ever play defense.

C_Mund
10-12-2011, 03:02 PM
.......and good luck with the players debating over the cba with....themselves. The agents will be debating with Amar'e the owner over how much Amar'e the player deserves to be paid by Amar'e the owner.

Hellcrooner
10-12-2011, 03:08 PM
they should ALL sign abroad.
If ALL the biggest names sign for european teams they will CREATE the market for tv rights, and higer attendances and sponsor, thus SOON ( 2 or 3 seasons) with the market created the will be able to win AS MUCH money here than there.

C_Mund
10-12-2011, 03:11 PM
If ALL the biggest names sign for european teams they will CREATE the market for tv rights, and higer attendances and sponsor, thus SOON ( 2 or 3 seasons) with the market created the will be able to win AS MUCH money here than there.

Agreed.....or just sign on with the new Canadian basketball league. Not much of a draw there but it's an option

Shmontaine
10-12-2011, 03:17 PM

no way... so the players will move to europe, sacrifice their contracts in the nba all for 'possibility' of creating a market in 2-3 years? the 2-3 years you claim it would take is $4 - $6billion away from the players in the nba... how long will it take to recover those losses...?? how many of the best players now will be on the decline or gone in 2-3 years??

Hellcrooner
10-12-2011, 03:22 PM
no way... so the players will move to europe, sacrifice their contracts in the nba all for 'possibility' of creating a market in 2-3 years? the 2-3 years you claim it would take is $4 - $6billion away from the players in the nba... how long will it take to recover those losses...?? how many of the best players now will be on the decline or gone in 2-3 years??

oh, you can be SURE that the top of the crop will get payed 90% of what they are now, considering TEAM pays their taxes here, and there will be a ton of sponsors ready to pay them big bucks to play here to make up the difference.

The bottom players will also be able to sign contracts that pays them even TWICE here than there.

The big problem is paying the middle class.... those players that earn near an Mle in the nba because they are not starry enough to be payed as much here, nor will they settle for a much smaller contract in here.

da ThRONe
10-12-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't think it's as far fetched as some seem to think. I think what will kill this is the time it would take to put something like this together. I would think they would have had to look into this 2 or 3 years ago when they advised the players to save their money.

Why I think this is possible is because the fans want to see the players. I'm sure there's enough billioniares who would be willing to invest in this. Not as owners but shareholders. I'm sure there are sponsors and networks who realize the earning potential of essentially the NBA 1b.

tr3ymill3r
10-12-2011, 03:53 PM
All it's going to take is Donald Trump and a Red, White and Blue ball.

gwrighter
10-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Why I think this is possible is because the fans want to see the players. I'm sure there's enough billioniares who would be willing to invest in this. Not as owners but shareholders. I'm sure there are sponsors and networks who realize the earning potential of essentially the NBA 1b.

Nope, its unproven. No TV company is going to invest prime-time into a new league. That's like TNT hosting slam ball, never going to happen. UFC took SOO LONG to get on tv & they have been selling out 20000 ppl arenas within hours for the past couple years. TV networks want proven cash in their hands, they have 100000000 other shows that have "profit potential" so what makes this any different from those other potentialities?

There is also the branding aspect. These teams have decades of marketing & value creation behind them. this new league has about 15 seconds of thought behind it by a player with a High School degree. This is a no brainer/slam dunk there is no way this is happening.

Shmontaine
10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
I don't think it's as far fetched as some seem to think. I think what will kill this is the time it would take to put something like this together. I would think they would have had to look into this 2 or 3 years ago when they advised the players to save their money.

lol... how is that different than what we have now??? it's not...

the players don't have the resources to pull this move off...

da ThRONe
10-12-2011, 04:39 PM
The XFL manage to start up and get a tv deal. These were -C and D players in a league with strange rules, yet still managed to make it to my tv. What do you think networks would do with the opportunity to air LeBron, Kobe, Dwight Howard, Carmelo and so on.

Think how much companies would pay to have their company logo on the front of these guys jersey, and/or even in the team name like NASCAR. Name recognition sells and you have some of the biggest names in the world to invest in trust plenty of corporations would cut huge checks to be apart of this. Look at the money businesses spend to put a name on buildings.

ink
10-12-2011, 04:42 PM
The XFL manage to start up and get a tv deal. These were -C and D players in a league with strange rules, yet still managed to make it to my tv. What do you think networks would do with the opportunity to air LeBron, Kobe, Dwight Howard, Carmelo and so on.

Think how much companies would pay to have their company logo on the front of these guys jersey, and/or even in the team name like NASCAR. Name recognition sells and you have some of the biggest names in the world to invest in trust plenty of corporations would cut huge checks to be apart of this. Look at the money businesses spend to put a name on buildings.

The XFL didn't start because of a lockout for starters. The players don't appear to have prepared a new league before the lockout and it's a little late to start now. btw the XFL lasted for one season. Bust.

The goods
10-12-2011, 05:24 PM

Ouch lol I wouldn't b surprised if this lockout continues somethin like this might become reality

da ThRONe
10-12-2011, 05:33 PM
The XFL didn't start because of a lockout for starters. The players don't appear to have prepared a new league before the lockout and it's a little late to start now. btw the XFL lasted for one season. Bust.

I already said that the players would have had to already made plans for something like this to be a viablefor option.

As far as the XFL failures it was a league built on gimmicks. It was built around a group of players that couldn't make it in the NFL for whatever reason. This would be the exact opposite this would be the cream of the crop world wide.

ink
10-12-2011, 06:23 PM
I already said that the players would have had to already made plans for something like this to be a viablefor option.

As far as the XFL failures it was a league built on gimmicks. It was built around a group of players that couldn't make it in the NFL for whatever reason. This would be the exact opposite this would be the cream of the crop world wide.

Except few stars would want to play for the KC Bumblebees or the San Diego Velcros. Do you think Kobe is going to leave the Lakers for some bush league team for long if at all? The only reason he's heading to Italy is because he has personal ties there. No superstar is going to want to give up their place with the Heat, Celtics, Mavericks, Lakers, etc. for some no name co-op team right?

da ThRONe
10-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Except few stars would want to play for the KC Bumblebees or the San Diego Velcros. Do you think Kobe is going to leave the Lakers for some bush league team for long if at all? The only reason he's heading to Italy is because he has personal ties there. No superstar is going to want to give up their place with the Heat, Celtics, Mavericks, Lakers, etc. for some no name co-op team right?

I think you answered your own question. I'm sure Kobe rather play in SD than Italy.

ink
10-12-2011, 06:34 PM
I think you answered your own question. I'm sure Kobe rather play in SD than Italy.

I highly doubt that.

unwantedplayer
10-12-2011, 06:47 PM
I highly doubt that.

How would you know?

Not just to you, but the person that asked that question too. Only kobe would know...

da ThRONe
10-12-2011, 06:54 PM
How would you know?

Not just to you, but the person that asked that question too. Only kobe would know...

I think we both understand we're speculating.

And because Kobe plays in a large market he most likely wouldn't have to relocate.

Lloyd Christmas
10-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Can you imagine the TV ratings for an all player draft? That alone would make the league a TON of cash.

da ThRONe
10-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Can you imagine the TV ratings for an all player draft? That alone would make the league a TON of cash.

Thank you. We're talking about guys who are known world wide. LeBron had higher ratings when he announced where he was taking his talents then some playoff Hockey and Baseball contest.

Evolution23
10-12-2011, 07:14 PM
It's a long shot but look at the way people flocked to these summer games. They have been very entertaining to say the least. But at the end of the day its still gonna take time to get this other league in place.

Randy West
10-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Since most of these players are flat broke 5-10 years after they leave the league I highly doubt they have the ability to create a league, figure out names, where to play and all the other stuff that would need to go into it

ink
10-12-2011, 07:46 PM
I think we both understand we're speculating.

And because Kobe plays in a large market he most likely wouldn't have to relocate.

The allure of playing in a player's league would wear off at the first airport **** up. Sports franchises are huge operations; players aren't going to be able to manage and I highly doubt any superstar that is used to being coddled to the max is going to want to play under those bush league conditions.

FlakeyFool
10-12-2011, 07:49 PM
This is why the NBA doesn't want players straight out of HS

mavwar53
10-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Maybe he should have taken at least 1 college level course, this screams that he has no higher education.

NYKNYGNYY
10-12-2011, 10:16 PM
doubtful but maybe if they cant come to an agreement all year n next year? thatd be ****in awsome though

JLynn943
10-12-2011, 10:21 PM
I wish, but no chance.

effen5
10-13-2011, 01:40 AM
lol amare, you are so silly.

3ballbomber
10-13-2011, 08:55 AM
anything is possible. it would be a great FU to stern.

JonnyBrav000
10-13-2011, 09:52 AM

Phase 1
3) Have sponsors
4) All revenue

Phase 2

This should be option #1. Anyone who has anything negative to say about this is a hater. I doubt this happens, but I don't understand why it won't. People would be willing to watch and I bet many fans would be willing to support this league just off the strength that players are the one's in charge. I am 100% sure they can get a TV deal, it will not be as glamorous as the NBA but given some time they can build this league into something really special, however the giant hurdle would be coming to an agreement on how much everyone contributes and who makes what when it comes to money, this would take some time, but the players should not settle for a dime less than they are asking the owners for and in the meantime work on plans to start their own league... WHY NOT???

Dundlenut
10-13-2011, 09:58 AM
There isn't a basketball player smart enough to start a league. Amare is an idiot so I expect this to come out of his mouth:facepalm:

gwrighter
10-13-2011, 10:08 AM
How would you know?

Kobe would be getting paid more in Italy than in this new league. There is no way this league could come up with enough cash flow in its first year to pay Kobe a competitive salary relative to other well known leagues.

gwrighter
10-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Thank you. We're talking about guys who are known world wide. LeBron had higher ratings when he announced where he was taking his talents then some playoff Hockey and Baseball contest.

yeah but the average person would rather watch a re-run of friends than watch an all player draft by some new bs league the players have started.

those who are thinking this is a viable option are forgetting that everything in the marketplace is competitive.

TV deals, sponsorship money, gym time, accountants, managers, refs, insurance everything. There are other firms with more disposable income & profit potential looking to get exactly what this new league would be looking for.

Like ink said, nobody is going to buy a Kobe "San Diego Snake Eyes" Jersey when 2 years removed he was the Finals MVP of the Lakers. Compare those two.

No billionaire is going to invest money into this league, there are WAY better investments out there than a new league. there is absolutely no infrastructure in place to support this league, and no way to gauge the potential profit to be made from this opportunity as well.

A lot of these owners own the Arenas as well & will annex this new league from using their facilities. limiting the prime location & the amount of people that can be attracted to venues.

All in all if a drop of 7% in an already overpriced salary structure is worth creating a new league then that alone should show everybody how irrational Amare is. the new league will be lucky to generate even 1% of that 4 billion pie after the first fiscal year. It just doesn't make any sense, they stand to make exceptionally more by signing the deal that is on the table now than this alternative.

enserio
10-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Tell you what:

We'll get them all to piece up and build massive stands at large neighborhood gyms. Then two superstars act as captains and pick their teams, like we did in gym class. We'll have ushers that go around taking collections at the beginning of each quarter, something like church. City to city using carnies for all the grunt work.

GARBAGE IDEAS RUN RAMPANT IN THIS THREAD.

These cockamamy ideas take no consideration for the role players/bench players that would not be a part of any of these ideas. They don't take into account the huge body of players that make up the Player's Assoc. This would be like scab workers going in during a massive strike, and I would rather watch CSPAN than any of that BS. /rant

OH YEAH. vv Classic line:

I work for the banks, and this is not as hard as it sounds.

GTFockOOHHHHHHH!

tonyd3b54
10-13-2011, 11:10 AM
hahaha basketball players are by far the dumbest athletes in sports. (professional not in general)

BKLYNpigeon
10-13-2011, 11:28 AM
yeah that wouldnt work players would fight over the money. how would you split up how much amare makes compared to luke walton or to demarcus cousins? to start a new league it will take years to plan and a million pages of contracts and paper work. they are better off doing something small like, a better version of and1 mix tape.