PDA

View Full Version : The NBA's Phony Deadline

beasted86
10-10-2011, 06:56 PM
It's just the latest phony deadline in the absurd story of a nonsense lockout.We're on the brink! The whole apparatus is at risk! Save us!

Idiots.

Sorry. I had a whole polite thing worked up. Lots of statistics. Reasonable. All points of view represented. But this is just deeply, impossibly stupid. In fact, the more I think about it, the angrier I get, and the more I realize that any owner who can't break even on professional sports in this country is a moron. Or a liar. Honestly. If you can't manage a pro team at a modest profit in the United States of America in the early years of the 21st century, you shouldn't be allowed to vote or operate a motor vehicle. You shouldn't be allowed near the stove.

At a time when the production and consumption of distraction are the only healthy sectors of the American economy, and when city, county, state and federal tax dollars pay for the arenas and the stadiums, to lose money on the operation of a pro sports franchise has to be grounds for involuntary psychiatric commitment. Or prosecution.

And if any of this sounds familiar, consider where we've heard it before.

The NBA, too big to fail!
What Now?

Deadlines sometimes force action. But if nothing happens today, don't worry. The sides have more to lose by cancelling games than by reaching a deal.

Because between the lines of all this basketball madness is just another example of the nitwit superrich expecting their employees and/or the government and/or the general public to bail them out.

Save us from ourselves! they cry. Save us from our cartoon greed and our lurid excesses!

These credit derivatives are a win-win-win right down the line!

These credit default swaps are in no way a ticking time bomb!

This Eddy Curry contract will never blow up in my face!

Never!

So here we are.
http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/7083903/nba-phony-deadline-absurd-nonsense

Read the rest in the link. Funny column that represents my exact sentiments.

Cosmic_Canon
10-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Interesting.
What fascinates me, is owners smart enough to become self-made billionaires/multi-hundred millionaires, are losing money off NBA teams. I think ultimately, this falls on owners buying teams for way more than their worth, and disappointed in it's lack of revenue.

Should the players take the blame? No
But like any major businesses in a financial crisis, the employees always suffer.
The proposed 51.5/49.5 should and will settle it, but it wouldn't shock me if we see another lockout in the next 8+ years.

gwrighter
10-11-2011, 01:38 AM
Interesting.
What fascinates me, is owners smart enough to become self-made billionaires/multi-hundred millionaires, are losing money off NBA teams. I think ultimately, this falls on owners buying teams for way more than their worth, and disappointed in it's lack of revenue.

But like any major businesses in a financial crisis, the employees always suffer.
The proposed 51.5/49.5 should and will settle it, but it wouldn't shock me if we see another lockout in the next 8+ years.

the tricky thing about sports teams is that there is making money & then there is winning. those two things are independent for the majority of NBA teams. Winning takes such a heavy investment & if you look at the history of the NBA there are an exclusive # of teams that have actually done it. So your return on investment is VERY small. So, the owners are saying "save us from the 4 irrational owners that will dish out max contracts to Rudy Gay & Joe Johnson therefore forcing us rational owners to give them max deals." The players say "hell no we want to get paid". & thus there is conflict of interest not only between players & owners, but owners & owners as well. a big cluster ****.

Wade>You
10-11-2011, 02:03 AM
The owners sign these terrible contracts, build crappy teams, focus on turning a profit, and when they screw up, they want everyone but themselves to foot the bill. Gotta love it. Great article.

iggypop123
10-11-2011, 02:30 AM
there is also the question if the nba is such bad buisness why have so many new owners rushed to get into the league. and why are a majority of the owners some of the richest in the us.

RevisIsland
10-11-2011, 03:09 AM
Interesting.

This is very interesting. You'd think that these guys are some of the brightest business minds in the world, they should be able to make a very popular league work.