PDA

View Full Version : Report: NBA and players to meet for Hail Mary attempt at a season Sunday.

Pages : [1] 2

Stack_NJNets
10-09-2011, 01:59 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/09/report-nba-and-players-to-meet-for-hail-mary-attempt-at-a-season-sunday/

:pray:

$KnicksAndKobe$
10-09-2011, 02:03 PM
50/50 damnit!!!

Stack_NJNets
10-09-2011, 02:05 PM
I know right wtf!

six
10-09-2011, 02:14 PM
So the owners want 50% and players want 53%. I think they should settle at 52% and end this burden called the lockout.

llemon
10-09-2011, 02:14 PM
REALLY? Can all these people believe it is as simple as 50/50?

Why wasn't 50/50 in the last set of negotiations that led to the CBA that was in effect last year? Too simple?

DoMeFavors
10-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Deal gets done tonight who agrees?

Ezio
10-09-2011, 02:20 PM
All nighter baby.

Cal827
10-09-2011, 02:23 PM
They better have Doug Flutie Available, cause they need a Miracle.

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 02:30 PM
a deal better get done!!!!

And based on reading Ken Bergers latest tweets on the calculations...51.5% for the players and 48.5% for the owners makes too much sense

jetsfan28
10-09-2011, 02:35 PM
I hope the players don't cave. The NBA owners are a bunch of *******s who don't know how to run teams, players shouldn't have to pay for that. It's not their fault Dan Gilbert, Robert Sarver, James Dolan, and Donald Sterling suck at their jobs.

daleja424
10-09-2011, 02:38 PM
I will call it right now... they will settle on 51/49 and we will not miss a game. Too much at stake for them to hold up this season over a couple percentage points.

daleja424
10-09-2011, 02:40 PM
I wouldnt call this a hailmary really. I think enough has been comromised already that today is not a long shot. I'd say this is more like 4th and goal from the 7...

Stack_NJNets
10-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Theres 0.4 left. Fisher got this.

Chacarron
10-09-2011, 02:43 PM

:clap: :nod:

Stack_NJNets
I will call it right now... they will settle on 51/49 and we will not miss a game. Too much at stake for them to hold up this season over a couple percentage points.

Exactly. Once they start missing checks the players will cave, and I don't think they'll even risk missing those checks.

daleja424

If they could get Robert Horry in the room too it would be game set match.

Cal827

Nice :clap:

210Don
10-09-2011, 02:49 PM

**** you:mad:

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 02:51 PM
**** you:mad:

LOOOOOOL. You made my day :clap:. now i hope the nba can make my year :pray:

JWO35
10-09-2011, 02:54 PM
This seems like the last chance the players get a 50/50...it'll only get worse for the players if they decline

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 02:56 PM
SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears
Despite meeting with NBA, source says players have not agreed to 50-50 BRI.
1 minute ago

DoMeFavors
10-09-2011, 02:58 PM
SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears
Despite meeting with NBA, source says players have not agreed to 50-50 BRI.
1 minute ago

I think Owners cave first and give players 52-48

llemon
10-09-2011, 03:00 PM
a deal better get done!!!!

And based on reading Ken Bergers latest tweets on the calculations...51.5% for the players and 48.5% for the owners makes too much sense

This is what I think may be the deal.

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 03:02 PM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Spurs owner Peter Holt, head of labor relations committee, will attend meeting with players in NY, sources says. NYT 1st reported new talks.
1 minute ago
»

KBergCBS Ken Berger
#NBA update: Source tells @CBSSports that league's 50-50 precondition dropped ahead of Sunday night meeting. bit.ly/nVmLao
2 minutes ago

Yeah... i called this yesterday while i was watching the game. the owners are gonna cave after they saw the miami all star classic and how many people were watching it.

PhillyFaninLA
10-09-2011, 03:05 PM
I think Owners cave first and give players 52-48

If this happens there is no NBA in 20 years from not probably not 10.

The owners created a horrible situation and the players need to get screwed since they only took what the owners gave but the owners need to win this.

Without more money going to the owners and a proper revenue sharing deals then the league will eventually fold.

Owners have to take a hard stance and as a fan of the NBA and someone who understand economics I'd rather see there be no league this year so a proper deal can be had rather then a rushed one that will not address everything that needs to be addressed.

I'd rather have a league every year in the future then have a forced bad deal and a season.

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 03:07 PM
If this happens there is no NBA in 20 years from not probably not 10.

The owners created a horrible situation and the players need to get screwed since they only took what the owners gave but the owners need to win this.

Without more money going to the owners and a proper revenue sharing deals then the league will eventually fold.

Owners have to take a hard stance and as a fan of the NBA and someone who understand economics I'd rather see there be no league this year so a proper deal can be had rather then a rushed one that will not address everything that needs to be addressed.

I'd rather have a league every year in the future then have a forced bad deal and a season.

Lmao, the union would be giving back the so called 300m that the league lost so idk what you are talking about.

llemon
10-09-2011, 03:08 PM
if this happens there is no nba in 20 years from not probably not 10.

Owners have to take a hard stance and as a fan of the nba and someone who understand economics i'd rather see there be no league this year so a proper deal can be had rather then a rushed one that will not address everything that needs to be addressed.

union, stand tall

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 03:10 PM
to be exact the union would be giving 367m back smh.

KBergCBS Ken Berger
At 48.5 pct, owners would be $367M/year better off that previous deal, which more than addresses $300M annual loss ...
2 hours ago

Why do posters continue to defend the owners... don't side with stupidity(owners)

PhillyFaninLA
10-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Lmao, the union would be giving back the so called 300m that the league lost so idk what you are talking about.

I stopped taking this post serious when you said so called, 2/3 of the NBA is losing money whether you believe it or not. That will destroy the league.

The leagues needs proper revenue sharing, it needs to have procedures in place to not allow owners to run things they way they have that created this issue.

You won't see a Knicks in game in 10 years if the wrong CBA happens now. Its best to get the right deal then a rushed deal.

I also don't respect people that say LMAO and don't support anything or even refute anything, its weak and shows you like to talk but cannot think. Your clearly trying to sound like you understand this situation when you don't, you're so called is proof of that.

Wade>You
10-09-2011, 03:14 PM

KBergCBS Ken Berger
At 48.5 pct, owners would be $367M/year better off that previous deal, which more than addresses $300M annual loss ...
2 hours ago

Why do posters continue to defend the owners... don't side with stupidity(owners)They think the players are the reason the season is canceled, the reason why their owner/GM over pays for average players, and the reason why their favorite teams suck d---.

Then they think a new system will help them compete and don't realize that every CBA since 1993 has hampered a team's ability to win and keep a championship team.

PhillyFaninLA
10-09-2011, 03:17 PM

KBergCBS Ken Berger
2 hours ago

Why do posters continue to defend the owners... don't side with stupidity(owners)

Really don't side with stupidity and once again you make a statement like that and don't really refute or defend anything.

You need to learn about what is really going on off the court from a business standpoint so you can properly understand.

Que unintelligent response that says nothing more then Not Aaahh you're stupid and wrong when you read between the line of the response to this, if you do that you will only be proving me right.

llemon
10-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I stopped taking this post serious when you said so called, 2/3 of the NBA is losing money whether you believe it or not. That will destroy the league.

The leagues needs proper revenue sharing, it needs to have procedures in place to not allow owners to run things they way they have that created this issue.

A) I absolutely do not believe 2/3s of the NBA teams are losing money

B) "not allow owners to run things the way they have that created the issue". No disrespect intended, but how can one not laugh at that statement. What does that statement have to do with the players and the union?

PhillyFaninLA
10-09-2011, 03:20 PM
A) I absolutely do not believe 2/3s of the NBA teams are losing money

B) "not allow owners to run things the way they have that created the issue". No disrespect intended, but how can one not laugh at that statement. What does that statement have to do with the players and the union?

You meant to be disrespectful otherwise you would not have been compelled to so no disrespect.

This has to do with the players and union because it has to do with the economics of the league. I'm no going to elaborate to someone that says No disrespect intended but how can one not laugh...that shows disrespect and lack of willingness to understand because you can laugh at people who understand when you are to ignorant to understand.

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Really don't side with stupidity and once again you make a statement like that and don't really refute or defend anything.

You need to learn about what is really going on off the court from a business standpoint so you can properly understand.

Que unintelligent response that says nothing more then Not Aaahh you're stupid and wrong when you read between the line of the response to this, if you do that you will only be proving me right.

if you could comprehend, i said dont side with the stupid owners. i guess some1 is self-conscious?

llemon
10-09-2011, 03:26 PM
You meant to be disrespectful otherwise you would not have been compelled to so no disrespect.

This has to do with the players and union because it has to do with the economics of the league. I'm no going to elaborate to someone that says No disrespect intended but how can one not laugh...that shows disrespect and lack of willingness to understand because you can laugh at people who understand when you are to ignorant to understand.

I'm sorry, but your statement is hysterical, and I find myself laughing at it as I read it again.

You are saying that the owners want the players to save the owners from themselves and the other owners.

C'mon, even you have to chuckle at that.

NBA_Starter
10-09-2011, 03:27 PM
They haven't got anything done up to now so it's hard to see anything getting done today but here's to hoping.

pistonsfanomg
10-09-2011, 03:38 PM
If they get a deal done good
If they don't its not that bad? NFL, NCAA, NHL, MLB :)

DoMeFavors
10-09-2011, 03:41 PM
If they get a deal done good
If they don't its not that bad? NFL, NCAA, NHL, MLB :)

NCAA thats about it

NYKnicksAllDay
10-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Well at least they're trying to get something done. I'm still not very optimistic anything gets done today.

b_russ
10-09-2011, 04:03 PM
If games can start by at least January then I won't be too ticked.

JEDean89
10-09-2011, 04:29 PM

You won't see a Knicks in game in 10 years if the wrong CBA happens now. Its best to get the right deal then a rushed deal.

I also don't respect people that say LMAO and don't support anything or even refute anything, its weak and shows you like to talk but cannot think. Your clearly trying to sound like you understand this situation when you don't, you're so called is proof of that.

so yes 2/3rds of the league is losing money 22/30ths of the teams to be precise. the players do not refute this, i dont know why you are. the owners have opened their books for the players and they saw that yes 22 teams were losing money. its not suprising when teams like denver had 80mill salaries in a smaller market. I thought that this had been agreed upon months ago, why is it still being debated. If owners were making money they wouldn't be selling their teams. Owners want to buy those teams because they can become profitable under a new cba, buy low sell high. All that should be done for the owners at this point is to get their losses back. we will never again not see a knick game. the knicks make oodles and oodles of money under this cba, why would 52-53% split be any different? i was for the owners at first, but they have gotten a ton these negotiations and given nothing back. they played this one poorly establishing bad faith first last year in the league changes and increase in fines, and again by cancelling the summer league before the lockout even started. if the nba continues to grow at 4% each year, in 10 years the nba will have 5.6 bill in BRI. That is at the growth under the current cba it could be more under the new one. So explain why the league wont exist in 10 years? is there any math behind this or are you just thinking that the owners and player will turn down the billions a year and play exhibition matches or start again from scratch. get this done now at 51-53% for the players and both sides will benefit from growth as opposed to fighting for a bigger slice of a smaller pie.

Punk
10-09-2011, 04:33 PM
They should bring Kobe, Melo, Billups, Horry to be alongside Fisher to get a deal done. If we get a deal, we will have the official all-clutch team.

....Make sure LeBron stays away from tonight's meeting.

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 04:34 PM
They should bring Kobe, Melo, Billups, Horry to be alongside Fisher to get a deal done. If we get a deal, we will have the official all-clutch team.

....Make sure LeBron stays away from tonight's meeting.

Lol everyone likes to rip a lebron joke from time to time lol

ewmania
10-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Lmao, yeah its clutch time, it might not be a good idea for lebron to attend this meeting

Jordan need to be there more than anyone

The goods
10-09-2011, 04:51 PM
I feel ya bro that brought a tear to my eye lol.
I think every nba fan is a fisher fan atleast till this is over lol

NYKnicksAllDay
10-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Lmao, yeah its clutch time, it might not be a good idea for lebron to attend this meeting

Jordan need to be there more than anyone

:laugh2:

tbone2171
10-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Not me

NBA_Starter
10-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Fisher's a bum, he has been riding Kobe's coattails for years how in the world did he get the position in these negotiations that he has?

Tom Stone
10-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Even if the Bri gets taken care of ...there are way too many other issues like luxury tax, that the players will be just as stubborn on, we will lose the first two weeks regaurdless....but a step in the right direction would be sweet.

ewmania
10-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Fisher's a bum, he has been riding Kobe's coattails for years how in the world did he get the position in these negotiations that he has?

cause last time I check negotiations was based on intelligence and leaders not how fast u can run up and down the court

and fisher isn't a bum. hes been playing the triangle offense perfectly for over a decade

TO Rapz
10-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Someone update me real quick, dont feel like reading everything. :p

llemon
10-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Is that a real question?

Wade>You
10-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I wouldnt call this a hailmary really. I think enough has been comromised already that today is not a long shot. I'd say this is more like 4th and goal from the 7...
lmao great analogies.

beasted86
10-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Don't think any thing happens tonight. Lockout will continue and games will be missed... Just my prediction, hope I'm wrong.

beliges
10-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Hopefully something good happens but the players are in for a very rude awakening once games are missed. What people (especially the players) need to realize is that the owners put up and risk millions upon millions of their own dollars investing in a team and the players are lucky enough to play a game they love playing for a living and make millions of dollars. The owners will always get their way to the detriment of the players as they deserve to. Once games are missed and players dont get paid, they will come around but this whole "digging in and being united" nonsense is going to cost us games. Its a waste of time and a waste of good basketball. Greedy *** ignorant people. If the players want to get their way let them put up hundreds of millions of their own dollars and start their own franchise. Otherwise suck it up and realize you are being employed but your employer. Not the other way around.

shep33
10-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Don't think any thing happens tonight. Lockout will continue and games will be missed... Just my prediction, hope I'm wrong.

I agree. Players have to stop being so greedy, they're gonna get big money either way. I mean I read somewhere that the average salary for NBA players per team is around 2 mill/season. That's just way too much (obviously stars inflate that) but still they are well paid athletes. Just agree to a 50/50 split, I feel with the owners when it comes to this.

A lot of people just view the owners as the evil-doers here, but imagine having a business where your employees are making more than you, and now how a lot more power than you, while your losing tons of money in the process. Owners are the ones who buy the teams, and give us the NBA, so IMO they deserve to ask for more than what they're currently getting. It's as much as their right as it is to the players to ask for change.

Players will not win this, no matter what they're still gonna get paid, and if they go through a lockout they'll be losing a lot of money, really they're gonna have to realize that they have zero leverage in this situation. Not all players can go to Europe, and when a lot of players do start going, their salaries will be cut by millions, yes millions. Plus there aren't enough spots to go around in various leagues, unless players wanna play in some crap 4th division league where they get paid nothing.

Stack_NJNets
10-09-2011, 06:14 PM

Lol word. Nyc where the tweets at? any news?

ewmania
10-09-2011, 06:15 PM
I agree. Players have to stop being so greedy, they're gonna get big money either way. I mean I read somewhere that the average salary for NBA players per team is around 2 mill/season. That's just way too much (obviously stars inflate that) but still they are well paid athletes. Just agree to a 50/50 split, I feel with the owners when it comes to this.

A lot of people just view the owners as the evil-doers here, but imagine having a business where your employees are making more than you, and now how a lot more power than you, while your losing tons of money in the process. Owners are the ones who buy the teams, and give us the NBA, so IMO they deserve to ask for more than what they're currently getting. It's as much as their right as it is to the players to ask for change.

oh so its okay for owners to be greedy and not players

okay owners buy the team but give us the NBA? no that works in both ways because they need each other to give us the NBA... i don't see u paying loads of money just to watch james dolan run around the court for 48 mins

beliges
10-09-2011, 06:19 PM
oh so its okay for owners to be greedy and not players

okay owners buy the team but give us the NBA? no that works in both ways because they need each other to give us the NBA... i don't see u paying loads of money just to watch james dolan run around the court for 48 mins

Well the owners have the right to be greedy because its their own money. They invest hundreds of millions of their own dollars to purchase a franchise. The players are their employees. So ya, the owners have a legitimate right to be greedy in this situation. They are losing their own investment. The players have no money invested in the team. They are being paid millions of dollars to play a game they love to play. I agree both sides are committing a lot of wrongs in this situation but the owners are certainly more entitled than the players are.

llemon
10-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Hopefully something good happens but the players are in for a very rude awakening once games are missed. What people (especially the players) need to realize is that the owners put up and risk millions upon millions of their own dollars investing in a team and the players are lucky enough to play a game they love playing for a living and make millions of dollars. The owners will always get their way to the detriment of the players as they deserve to. Once games are missed and players dont get paid, they will come around but this whole "digging in and being united" nonsense is going to cost us games. Its a waste of time and a waste of good basketball. Greedy *** ignorant people. If the players want to get their way let them put up hundreds of millions of their own dollars and start their own franchise. Otherwise suck it up and realize you are being employed but your employer. Not the other way around.

I believe NBA has had a strike already where a substantial number of games were cancelled.

Remember how the NBPA went crawling on their knees back to the owners for a deal?

Right, I don't remember that either.

Screw the owners. Most buy their franchises with borrowed money, than count the interest they pay as a loss, when most owners could afford to buy the franchise without the loan.

But they'd rather use their own money to get a higher rate of interest elsewhere. That's all well and good, but let's not kid each other that the interest on the loans that purchase a team are losses. It's just creative accounting.

beliges
10-09-2011, 06:28 PM
I believe NBA has had a strike already where a substantial number of games were cancelled.

Remember how the NBPA went crawling on their knees back to the owners for a deal?

Right, I don't remember that either.

Screw the owners. Most buy their franchises with borrowed money, than count the interest they pay as a loss, when most owners could afford to buy the franchise without the loan.

But they'd rather use their own money to get a higher rate of interest elsewhere. That's all well and good, but let's not kid each other that the interest on the loans that purchase a team are losses. It's just creative accounting.

You can say screw the owners all you want but at the end of the day, all the NBA is is a business. Just because you and I are both fans of the game and love the players does not change that fact. Its also true that some of the owners dont give a **** about their teams and are simply in the business for pure profit and not for the love of winning. But, ragardless of those facts, the owners use their own money to invest in a franchise. Thereafter they pay the players millions upon millions of dollars to play a game. Believe me, as much as I want to side with the players in this situation, I understand that this is a business. And when its all said and done the owners will get their way because the players have nothing invested in the league. They are nothing but workers who receive a hefty paycheck. Once again the players are nothing but employees here.

llemon
10-09-2011, 06:35 PM
You can say screw the owners all you want but at the end of the day, all the NBA is is a business. Just because you and I are both fans of the game and love the players does not change that fact. Its also true that some of the owners dont give a **** about their teams and are simply in the business for pure profit and not for the love of winning. But, ragardless of those facts, the owners use their own money to invest in a franchise. Thereafter they pay the players millions upon millions of dollars to play a game. Believe me, as much as I want to side with the players in this situation, I understand that this is a business. And when its all said and done the owners will get their way because the players have nothing invested in the league. They are nothing but workers who receive a hefty paycheck. Once again the players are nothing but employees here.

Guess you didn't read the part about the owners taking out huge loans to purchase the franchises.

And you are mistaken if you think the players are nothing but employees.

The GMs are employees. The ticket sellers are employees. The halftime dancers are employees.

The players are the product.

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 06:38 PM
The thing about this is dont they have more smaller things to work on still? How will they get all that completed as well as this tonight? Gonna be a long shot to get all this done before tomorrow. Doesnt mean we wont have an 82 game season, but idk if we will start on time.

naps
10-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Both sides are filled with inflammatory parties like Dan Gilbert, Robert Sarver, and Kevin Garnett who don’t want any movement at all.

WTF Garnett? :speechless:

knightstemplar
10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
please!

MrfadeawayJB
10-09-2011, 07:11 PM
The thing about this is dont they have more smaller things to work on still? How will they get all that completed as well as this tonight? Gonna be a long shot to get all this done before tomorrow. Doesnt mean we wont have an 82 game season, but idk if we will start on time.

lol at your sig, i thought there was a ant on my screen

knightstemplar
10-09-2011, 07:13 PM
anybody have any updates ?

PC
10-09-2011, 07:18 PM
I hope there are huge strides tonight but I think it's unreasonable to expect an agreement being reached

daleja424
10-09-2011, 07:38 PM

yes... a lot of SMALL things.

If you can tackle the big thing...it will not take long to iron out the rest.

This lockout is about the money at this point... not about system issues.

NYKnicksAllDay
10-09-2011, 07:42 PM
I really hope they get it done tonight, even though it seems unlikely.

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 07:50 PM
As labor meeting unfolds in NY, several NBA execs have hope of deal in next 24-48 hours. Why? They don't have faith in players holding line.

beliges
10-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Guess you didn't read the part about the owners taking out huge loans to purchase the franchises.

And you are mistaken if you think the players are nothing but employees.

The GMs are employees. The ticket sellers are employees. The halftime dancers are employees.

The players are the product.

In case youre not aware, even if owners take out loans to purchase their franchises, those are loans than need to be repaid. They are risking their own capital. And yes, when it all comes down to it, the players are nothing but employees. Just like the GMs, the halftime dancers and the announcers. They ALL work for the owner of the franchise. And again, so long as the owners are putting up their own hundreds of millions of dollars to purchase a franchise, they will have more rights in the league than the players. As I was saying, if a player wants to pull out loans and risk his own capital into purchasing a franchise then they should. But players dont, and you know why? Because its too much money and its too much of an investment. A player would virtually have to invest every last penny they own to purchase a franchise and hope it generates a profit. The owners risk their own money, the players dont have any risks in the league. They earn a paycheck. The owners will get their way becayse they are the freaking owners. The players will buckle once those paychecks to come in. Again, im bias against the owners and am in favor of the players because I love the NBA. But even i can recognize the owners are in the right here and the players are in the wrong.

daleja424
10-09-2011, 07:52 PM
As labor meeting unfolds in NY, several NBA execs have hope of deal in next 24-48 hours. Why? They don't have faith in players holding line.

If that is why they are meeting... still holding out for 50-50...we wont have a deal.

51 is the magic number... if the owners are prepared to go there... a deal will get done.

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 07:53 PM
If that is why they are meeting... still holding out for 50-50...we wont have a deal.

51 is the magic number... if the owners are prepared to go there... a deal will get done.

I agree with you...I think 51 is the magic number

daleja424
10-09-2011, 07:56 PM
I have literally been saying for over a month that 51 is the number... how the players and owners have failed to see that is beyond me.

51-49 is not significant monetarily... but it is mentally. It is just enough for both sides to feel good about this deal. Owners get the 300+ and players maintain a controlling stake of the revenue.

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 07:58 PM
lol at your sig, i thought there was a ant on my screen

Honesty about the 5th person to say that to me.

mets77
10-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Stern going to do something dumb , like they agree on a deal Tuesday and he's like too late I still have to cancel games.

itsripcity32
10-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Stern going to do something dumb , like they agree on a deal Tuesday and he's like too late I still have to cancel games.

that doesnt make sense

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 08:08 PM
I have literally been saying for over a month that 51 is the number... how the players and owners have failed to see that is beyond me.

51-49 is not significant monetarily... but it is mentally. It is just enough for both sides to feel good about this deal. Owners get the 300+ and players maintain a controlling stake of the revenue.

i think the owners get 300+ even with 48%

daleja424
10-09-2011, 08:10 PM
i think the owners get 300+ even with 48%

they do... but if they were willing to take 52 this deal would have been done last Tuesday. They clearly are not interested in 52.

daleja424
10-09-2011, 08:12 PM
that doesnt make sense

sure it does... his english was just poor.

He is saying that he thinks that it would be just like Stern to cancel games because they missed the deadline by a single day.

Like they come to a deal on Tuesday after the deadline, but Stern doesn't reinstate the games...

llemon
10-09-2011, 08:17 PM
In case youre not aware, even if owners take out loans to purchase their franchises, those are loans than need to be repaid. They are risking their own capital. And yes, when it all comes down to it, the players are nothing but employees. Just like the GMs, the halftime dancers and the announcers. They ALL work for the owner of the franchise. And again, so long as the owners are putting up their own hundreds of millions of dollars to purchase a franchise, they will have more rights in the league than the players. As I was saying, if a player wants to pull out loans and risk his own capital into purchasing a franchise then they should. But players dont, and you know why? Because its too much money and its too much of an investment. A player would virtually have to invest every last penny they own to purchase a franchise and hope it generates a profit. The owners risk their own money, the players dont have any risks in the league. They earn a paycheck. The owners will get their way becayse they are the freaking owners. The players will buckle once those paychecks to come in. Again, im bias against the owners and am in favor of the players because I love the NBA. But even i can recognize the owners are in the right here and the players are in the wrong.

You are wrong.Did the players buckle last strike? Most are already not receiving paychecks.

Are you saying the players are not the product? You think the owners can bring scabs to fill in for them?

The owners borrow money when they don't have to, so they can claim the interest as a loss, while using their own money to make a profit elsewhere. That ain't a loss. Plus when they sell the team, the new owners will pick up the debt.

You have know idea what you are talking about. The rich and powerful have you fooled as they do with so many other unthinking Americans.

You can keep on babbling, but you have no point.

And I don't believe the NBA lost a cent this past season.

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 08:20 PM
they do... but if they were willing to take 52 this deal would have been done last Tuesday. They clearly are not interested in 52.

that could be true....but it always seems like when a deal is close, the owners end up wanting more....I hope that doesnt end up being the case tonight

Im praying for a deal to be done

llemon
10-09-2011, 08:20 PM

51 is the magic number... if the owners are prepared to go there... a deal will get done..

I think 51.5% is the Magic number

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 08:24 PM

I think 51.5% is the Magic number

thats Berger's plan and it makes tons of sense

But I dont think the owners will agree to 48.5%

also, gotta love the fact that #fiftyonepointfive# is trending on twitter lol

LOOTERX9
10-09-2011, 08:24 PM

Honesty about the 5th person to say that to me.

I thought my computer had a Virus with that bug crawling in my screen. I restarted my computer and everything. DAMMIT!

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 08:27 PM
I thought my computer had a Virus with that bug crawling in my screen. I restarted my computer and everything. DAMMIT!

:laugh: Now thats definetely a first.

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 08:30 PM
ITs been a while i believe, 2 and a half hours?

daleja424
10-09-2011, 08:34 PM
UPDATE:

In his latest letter to NBA players, union prez Derek Fisher urges all players to attend Monday afternoon meeting in LA "if at all possible"

starting to sound to me like maybe they will negociate something tonight and then take it to the players tomorrow and leave a vote up to them... :shrug:

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 08:35 PM
ITs been a while i believe, 2 and a half hours?

most of their meetings have been 5 hours thus far...so I expect a long meeting

I just hope it doesnt end up in the usual "we made no progress today"

$KnicksAndKobe$
10-09-2011, 08:39 PM
:laugh: Now thats definetely a first.

I gotta go get a new monitor because of you ...

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 08:40 PM
KBergCBS Ken Berger
#NBA meetings has passed roughly the 2-hour mark. The last of the parties to arrive went up to meeting at 6:15, sources say.
28 seconds ago

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 08:40 PM
most of their meetings have been 5 hours thus far...so I expect a long meeting

I just hope it doesnt end up in the usual "we made no progress today"

yeah, but most of the meetings havent started at 6 on a sunday night. Considering this meeting wasnt even suppose to take place as of 24 hrs ago...

I think the fact that its taking a long time would fall into the catagory of good news? atleast better then them leaving in 45 minutes pissed off at one another... im hoping that they both wont waste a sunday night watching the other side not budge at all.... i would assume that would get old.

beliges
10-09-2011, 08:41 PM
You are wrong.Did the players buckle last strike? Most are already not receiving paychecks.

Are you saying the players are not the product? You think the owners can bring scabs to fill in for them?

The owners borrow money when they don't have to, so they can claim the interest as a loss, while using their own money to make a profit elsewhere. That ain't a loss. Plus when they sell the team, the new owners will pick up the debt.

You have know idea what you are talking about. The rich and powerful have you fooled as they do with so many other unthinking Americans.

You can keep on babbling, but you have no point.

And I don't believe the NBA lost a cent this past season.

Actually nope, its not wrong. Whether the owners borrow money or pull out $500 million from their own pocket doesnt change a thing. The owners have all the risk in this business. NOT the players. The owners risk their own capital (whether borrowed or not), not the players. The players dont pick up a debt from the owners borrowing money, the owners do. You can write non-sense and call be uneducated but you fail to understand a simple concept here. The NBA is a business. What you think it is doesnt change the fact that its a business. The owners of the businesses are the owners of the franchise. The employees of the business are the players. The players are not receiving a paycheck right now because they are locked out genius. And yes, last time the players did buckle. Of course theres no NBA without the players, but in a collective bargaining situation such as this, its the ones that have more to lose that end up being successful. The owners can afford to lose an entire season if it means it saves their investment, the players cant. Im not sure you understand how a business works. If you were a bit more knowledgeable you would be better suited to comprehend this situation.

Tony_Starks
10-09-2011, 08:42 PM
This meeting will determine if the owners care at all about a season or if its strictly "get what we want at all cost." What the players are asking for is enough to cover their "losses" and the amnesty clause will help them to be able to at least make one move to compensate their incompetence.

But if they keep persisting with the "system is broken" myth then its a wrap....

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 08:43 PM
yeah, but most of the meetings havent started at 6 on a sunday night. Considering this meeting wasnt even suppose to take place as of 24 hrs ago...

I think the fact that its taking a long time would fall into the catagory of good news? atleast better then them leaving in 45 minutes pissed off at one another... im hoping that they both wont waste a sunday night watching the other side not budge at all.... i would assume that would get old.

yeah it has to be good news that it's a long meeting

and I think the fact the Fisher is urging that all players attend tomorrow's union meeting says that the heads of the two parties will come to a deal or close to a deal tonight and then Fisher will tell the players to vote on it

llemon
10-09-2011, 08:43 PM

Maybe they're watching the Atlanta-Green Bay game.

daleja424
10-09-2011, 08:45 PM
As much as I think a compromise is there... and as much as I think it is insane to hold out for money that they will never recoup... I get the feeling that neither side will budge tonight. This is the first time since this started that I am doubting the November start date.

llemon
10-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Actually nope, its not wrong. Whether the owners borrow money or pull out $500 million from their own pocket doesnt change a thing. The owners have all the risk in this business. NOT the players. The owners risk their own capital (whether borrowed or not), not the players. The players dont pick up a debt from the owners borrowing money, the owners do. You can write non-sense and call be uneducated but you fail to understand a simple concept here. The NBA is a business. What you think it is doesnt change the fact that its a business. The owners of the businesses are the owners of the franchise. The employees of the business are the players. The players are not receiving a paycheck right now because they are locked out genius. And yes, last time the players did buckle. Of course theres no NBA without the players, but in a collective bargaining situation such as this, its the ones that have more to lose that end up being successful. The owners can afford to lose an entire season if it means it saves their investment, the players cant. Im not sure you understand how a business works. If you were a bit more knowledgeable you would be better suited to comprehend this situation.

The players are not receiving paycheck right now because it's the offseason, ya mook.

A business works if a company has a product that the public wants. Then, if they run that business properly, they make a profit.

The players are the product. The public wants to see them. Do you get the connection?

If the owners don't need the players, they should round up some rodeo clowns and see how many people come to the arenas (not Arenas).

And if the owners are counting the interest of the loans as a loss, that would count as part of the $300 mil that the owners 'claim' they are losing, only it is not a loss because the owners are actually making more money buy taking out loans at a particular rate, then using their own money to make more than that interest rate in a non-NBA related field.

Again, can your little mind perceive this?

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 08:55 PM
As much as I think a compromise is there... and as much as I think it is insane to hold out for money that they will never recoup... I get the feeling that neither side will budge tonight. This is the first time since this started that I am doubting the November start date.

Part of me tells me that Fisher and Hunter will budge on 50-50 today

and then make the players vote on it tomorrow

beliges
10-09-2011, 08:55 PM
The players are not receiving paycheck right now because it's the offseason, ya mook.

A business works if a company has a product that the public wants. Then, if they run that business properly, they make a profit.

The players are the product. The public wants to see them. Do you get the connection?

If the owners don't need the players, they should round up some rodeo clowns and see how many people come to the arenas (not Arenas).

I never said the owners dont need the players. And for your information, players receive checks during the offseason as well depending on their contract and payment schedule.

Lastly, my point in this is that the owners are in the right in this and its the players greed that has prolonged this entire process and threatened the season. Once again the owners have invested their own capital to own a franchise. The players work for the owners and are paid by the owners. Its not the other way around. The players have zero capital invested in the NBA or their teams. They simply do their jobs and receive a paycheck.

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 08:59 PM
KBergCBS Ken Berger
In addition to the aforementioned Taylor and Jeanie Buss, labor relations committee chair Peter Holt of Spurs is in mtg, as well.
2 minutes ago

iggypop123
10-09-2011, 09:00 PM
players using the let us play saying isn't promising news. The constant meetings means we won't lose a season but they will milk every part of the deal until somebody blinks

iggypop123
10-09-2011, 09:01 PM
3 hrs so far. They better hurry up if they plan on watching breaking bad.

mzgrizz
10-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Good news then that they have met so long.

daleja424
10-09-2011, 09:09 PM
not really... they have 6+ hour sessions where all they did was discuss when they would meet again...

time means nothing... we just have to wait to hear some actual news.

mzgrizz
10-09-2011, 09:11 PM
I believe it does mean something because no results now mean lost REAL games.
Before they were just messing around with preseason.

llemon
10-09-2011, 09:12 PM
I never said the owners dont need the players. And for your information, players receive checks during the offseason as well depending on their contract and payment schedule.

Lastly, my point in this is that the owners are in the right in this and its the players greed that has prolonged this entire process and threatened the season. Once again the owners have invested their own capital to own a franchise. The players work for the owners and are paid by the owners. Its not the other way around. The players have zero capital invested in the NBA or their teams. They simply do their jobs and receive a paycheck.

The players don't work. They perform competitively against each other.

About 20-25% of the player draw paychecks for 12 months.

I was on strike for 7 months and 5 months while a union man at Nynex (now Verizon). I believe Verizon had more money than some NBA owners. And they had a management staff that at least 50% of had come up through the ranks, and could actually do the jobs that the strikers could.

Union got what they wanted in both strikes.

And I'm betting most NBA players have a little more money stashed away than I had when I was 21.

For some reason, you don't think the union has the cajones for this, yet there has already been a strike where 32 regular season games were missed, the players lost money, but they stood strong and got most of what they wanted.

You have some sort of sympathy for the rich and powerful, but they lied, cheated, stole, intimidated and killed to become rich and powerful.

I have no sympathy for those lowlifes.

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Im getting sick and tired of staring at my twitter waiting for some updated lol

daleja424
10-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Im getting sick and tired of staring at my twitter waiting for some updated lol

this x one million

but I know i will be glued to twitter for at least the next week no matter what... b/c as soon as they do get this deal done... then the FA frenzy will begin!!!

beasted86
10-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Like I said earlier, I highly doubt any movement comes today. Hopefully they can strike a handshake deal tomorrow or Tuesday.

daleja424
10-09-2011, 09:20 PM
I think the HOPE is to strike a handshake deal tonight and then take it back to their respective sides tomorrow for approval...then if all goes well they can get it in writing by mid-week...

mzgrizz
10-09-2011, 09:24 PM
I think the HOPE is to strike a handshake deal tonight and then take it back to their respective sides tomorrow for approval...then if all goes well they can get it in writing by mid-week...

:nod:

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 09:24 PM
not really... they have 6+ hour sessions where all they did was discuss when they would meet again...

time means nothing... we just have to wait to hear some actual news.

considering 24 hrs ago... neither side had anything to say to one another... its hard to imagine this being bad news, or setting them further apart....

also- you say now is the first time you have doubted the season would start on time. I dont understand how you felt more confident on friday about the season starting (when both sides didnt even want to meet before the deadline)... than you do today that something obviously has changed to make atleasty one side want to meet?

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Do they need it all in writing by tomorrow to save a season, or just approval from both sides?

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 09:25 PM

I hope this is the case!

beasted86
10-09-2011, 09:26 PM

I don't even think there are enough people in attendance to handshake anything.

likemystylez
Like I said earlier, I highly doubt any movement comes today. Hopefully they can strike a handshake deal tomorrow or Tuesday.

well ven if that were the case- it would have to mean something significantly changed in the last 24 hrs.... atleast one side would have to move

Tony_Starks
FYI its been reported that all the players will still get a check next month when the season is supposed to start for money that was withheld last season. I don't know the exact figures you can look it up but I seem to remember even Eddie Curry is going to get like a couple of mil......

Also some players that signed recent contracts have set it up that they will still get paid during the lockout, not sure how many......

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 09:28 PM

actually- fewer people there, the more likely something like a handshake takes place. Im kinda worried that the owners will move a little bit, but the players union will reject the offer when it is voted on

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 09:28 PM
kind of off topic, but the reporters have a great sense of humor

especially when they talk about Berger lol

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 09:29 PM
FYI its been reported that all the players will still get a check next month when the season is supposed to start for money that was withheld last season. I don't know the exact figures you can look it up but I seem to remember even Eddie Curry is going to get like a couple of mil......

I think they recieved that withheld money from escrow in early-mid september

beasted86
10-09-2011, 09:31 PM

Also some players that signed recent contracts have set it up that they will still get paid during the lockout, not sure how many......

All players had 8% of their salary withheld... so all should be getting 8% of whatever they made last year.

In the case of Eddy Curry... 8% of $11.5M is about $900k

daleja424
10-09-2011, 09:32 PM
considering 24 hrs ago... neither side had anything to say to one another... its hard to imagine this being bad news, or setting them further apart....

also- you say now is the first time you have doubted the season would start on time. I dont understand how you felt more confident on friday about the season starting (when both sides didnt even want to meet before the deadline)... than you do today that something obviously has changed to make atleasty one side want to meet?
I felt confident b/c I believed in common sense...but now this letter from Fisher has made me nervous for the first time that something may not get done.

I think there are enough people there. The leaders from both sides are there and they are fully aware of what their sides would agree to. These committees have been given bargaining power from what I understand. I mean shoot, the most progress made in the last month happened when Stern and Silver was standing in a hallway with Hunter and Fisher.

I think they recieved that withheld money from escrow in early-mid september
I think so too...I think they have already received the withheld escrow.

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Anyone see my question? Will the first 2 weeks still be cancelled if they have a handshaked deal today or tomorrow and its approved and yet the paperwork isnt handed in until mid-week?

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Anyone see my question? Will the first 2 weeks still be cancelled if they have a handshaked deal today or tomorrow and its approved and yet the paperwork isnt handed in until mid-week?

No, at least I dont think so

I just think they have to come to a verbal agreement by the end of tomorrow

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Meeting now at 3 hr, 15 minutes. David Aldridge says "could be a while, folks" via Twitter.

DoMeFavors
10-09-2011, 09:37 PM
do you think NBA went crazy with techs last year and raising the price to get more money?

Tony_Starks
10-09-2011, 09:38 PM
All players had 8% of their salary withheld... so all should be getting 8% of whatever they made last year.

In the case of Eddy Curry... 8% of $11.5M is about $900k

true that, here's the info..

Rashard Lewis’ check is for $1,565,817.

Even oversized and overpaid Eddy Curry, whose name has come up in lockout talks as the symbol of what is fundamentally wrong with the NBA’s salary structure, is getting another windfall: $927,746.

The money represents the 8 percent of each player’s salary that was withheld from their paychecks last season under the NBA’s escrow tax system, which was put in place to ensure that the players received no more than 57 percent of basketball related income in the 2010-11 season.

A total of $161 million in escrow funds were withheld last season, and the league office sent a stack of more than 350 checks to the Players Association last week to begin issuing the refunds, SheridanHoops has learned.

http://sheridanhoops.com/2011/09/08/lockout-update-checks-totaling-161-million-being-paid-to-players-by-nba/

then here's the info on the guys that spread their payments out, not sure if its just these 4 guys or more though, I would imagine other agents have advised their players to do the same....

Al-Farouq Aminu, a rookie last season, is one of four clients of agent Raymond Brothers who spread their 2010-11 NBA salaries over 18 or 24 months to continue receiving paychecks if the league-imposed lockout forces the cancellation of games. Memphis Grizzlies forward Zach Randolph, Dallas Mavericks forward Caron Butler and Detroit Pistons guard Ben Gordon, all Brothers clients, have similar setups. If games in 2011-12 are lost, ‘They will not know financially that they’re in a lockout,’ Brothers said. ‘If there is a lockout, you’ll able to pay your bills. And you’re already used to a certain way of living because your paychecks will be consistent.’ Players normally receive bi-weekly paychecks from Nov. 15 to May 1, although some opt for a November to November schedule. But Aminu will receive payments from last season until Nov. 1, 2012. Randolph will be paid through May 1, 2012.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/07/some-nba-players-will-still-get-paid-during-the-lockout/

daleja424
10-09-2011, 09:39 PM

No...as long as there is handshake progress made... Stern will likely freeze his artificial deadline.

McPeak92
10-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Meeting now at 3 hr, 15 minutes. David Aldridge says "could be a while, folks" via Twitter.
could be a good sign, folks.

daleja424
10-09-2011, 09:43 PM
could be a good sign, folks.

or it could mean they are having another 7 hour meeting where the only agenda item is to decide what to order for dinner and to discuss when they might like to next meet.

llemon
10-09-2011, 09:45 PM
true that, here's the info..

Rashard Lewis’ check is for $1,565,817.

Even oversized and overpaid Eddy Curry, whose name has come up in lockout talks as the symbol of what is fundamentally wrong with the NBA’s salary structure, is getting another windfall: $927,746.

The money represents the 8 percent of each player’s salary that was withheld from their paychecks last season under the NBA’s escrow tax system, which was put in place to ensure that the players received no more than 57 percent of basketball related income in the 2010-11 season.

A total of $161 million in escrow funds were withheld last season, and the league office sent a stack of more than 350 checks to the Players Association last week to begin issuing the refunds, SheridanHoops has learned.

http://sheridanhoops.com/2011/09/08/lockout-update-checks-totaling-161-million-being-paid-to-players-by-nba/

then here's the info on the guys that spread their payments out, not sure if its just these 4 guys or more though, I would imagine other agents have advised their players to do the same....

Al-Farouq Aminu, a rookie last season, is one of four clients of agent Raymond Brothers who spread their 2010-11 NBA salaries over 18 or 24 months to continue receiving paychecks if the league-imposed lockout forces the cancellation of games. Memphis Grizzlies forward Zach Randolph, Dallas Mavericks forward Caron Butler and Detroit Pistons guard Ben Gordon, all Brothers clients, have similar setups. If games in 2011-12 are lost, ‘They will not know financially that they’re in a lockout,’ Brothers said. ‘If there is a lockout, you’ll able to pay your bills. And you’re already used to a certain way of living because your paychecks will be consistent.’ Players normally receive bi-weekly paychecks from Nov. 15 to May 1, although some opt for a November to November schedule. But Aminu will receive payments from last season until Nov. 1, 2012. Randolph will be paid through May 1, 2012.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/07/some-nba-players-will-still-get-paid-during-the-lockout/

I could be wrong on this, but I could swear I read it.

The NBA also had to cut a check to the NBPA for somewhere in the vicinity of $100 mil, because even with the players escrow money, the players did not receive 57% of the BRI money, because the NBA did so well this season.

Doesn't something somewhere in there sound really strange?

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 09:47 PM
if a deal doesnt come through, what do you guys think will happen next?

daleja424
10-09-2011, 09:47 PM
I could be wrong on this, but I could swear I read it.

The NBA also had to cut a check to the NBPA for somewhere in the vicinity of $100 mil, because even with the players escrow money, the players did not receive 57% of the BRI money, because the NBA did so well this season.

Doesn't something somewhere in there sound really strange?

I also seem to recall reading that the escrow hold wasn't enough to cover the 57%...

daleja424
10-09-2011, 09:48 PM

fight it in court like tha NFL. Decert and fight.

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 09:50 PM
No...as long as there is handshake progress made... Stern will likely freeze his artificial deadline.

Thats what i thought. Thats good.

likemystylez

probably a few weeks of posturing much like the last 5 days.... and listening to more players say how bad they want to play... but dont want to accept a bad deal... even though missing 2 pay checks is worse for them than the difference in their deal to the bad deal over 6 yrs

airronijordan
fight it in court like tha NFL. Decert and fight.

WOW...me and you think exactly alike....but going to the courts will most likely cancel the whole season since it's such a long process

LOOTERX9
10-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Someone needs to kick Fisher in his BALLS if he does not accept a deal tonight!!!!

llemon
10-09-2011, 09:52 PM

I'm gonna watch my 'Alien' 9 disc boxset a few times. Watching the Directors Cut of 'Alien Resurrection' right now.

Then re-watch 'The Wire', 'Dexter', 'The Shield', 'Deadwood', 'Breaking Bad', 'Sons of Anarchy' , and 'Carnivale'. Probably 'Parks and Recreation' also.

You?

SportsAndrew25
10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
:pray: We better have a deal when this crap is done.

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm gonna watch my 'Alien' 9 disc boxset a few times. Watching the Directors Cut of 'Alien Resurrection' right now.

Then re-watch 'The Wire', 'Dexter', 'The Shield', 'Deadwood', 'Breaking Bad', 'Sons of Anarchy' , and 'Carnivale'. Probably 'Parks and Recreation' also.

You?

Im thinking of watching the whole season 8 of curb your enthusiasm again :)

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 09:56 PM

x2

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Someone needs to kick Fisher in his BALLS if he does not accept a deal tonight!!!!

if thereis a proposal where theplayers are gonna lose money- Im thinking the players will need to vote on it... i dont know if all the players not making 10 million a year are as willing to sit out as the lebron james' and the Kevin garnetts are.

NBA_Starter
10-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Let the negotiating begin

likemystylez

dont listen to di fisher... he always says nothing got done, he said nothing got done last weekend when in reality they took care of ALL THE PLAYERS BLOOD ISSUES... no harc cap, no roll backs, keep guarenteed contracts,... id say that stuff was important... derek fisher would have u believe that they do nothing at all int he meetings. hes too much of an idiot to understand progress unless the deal is done.

daleja424
WOW...me and you think exactly alike....but going to the courts will most likely cancel the whole season since it's such a long process

maybe... maybe not.

but it certainly would have helped if both sides had this fight three months ago...

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Let the negotiating begin

Umm the meeting started 4 hrs ago??:facepalm:... it was 6 eastern buddy

llemon
10-09-2011, 09:59 PM
if thereis a proposal where theplayers are gonna lose money- Im thinking the players will need to vote on it... i dont know if all the players not making 10 million a year are as willing to sit out as the lebron james' and the Kevin garnetts are.

Garnett's nearing the end. The less the union accepts will equate to the less the younger players and Vets' Min player will be making, and for a long time.

kgjfan243
10-09-2011, 10:00 PM
The players will eventually cave. Most players cannot afford to sit out and miss games/paychecks. More than likely, the deal gets done soon.

Wade>You
10-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Anyone else think it's good news that they met at 6pm EST and we haven't heard anything since?

NBA_Starter
10-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Anyone else think it's good news that they met at 6pm EST and we haven't heard anything since?

As long as they are talking and no one has stormed out I take it as a good sign.

daleja424
10-09-2011, 10:05 PM
As long as they are talking and no one has stormed out I take it as a good sign.

I take it as no sign.

A short meeting is bad.

But every other meeting they have had has been long and still been bad... sooo

llemon
10-09-2011, 10:05 PM
The players will eventually cave. Most players cannot afford to sit out and miss games/paychecks. More than likely, the deal gets done soon.

Why didn't missing paychecks bother NBA players during the last strike?

NBA_Starter
10-09-2011, 10:06 PM
I take it as no sign.

A short meeting is bad.

But every other meeting they have had has been long and still been bad... sooo

I'm being optimistic and I don't really know why.

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Why didn't missing paychecks bother NBA players during the last strike?

The players did eventually cave

metsfanssince05
10-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Just a question, if they reach agreements tomorrow will the 2 weeks of regular season be cancelled or after Monday?

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 10:09 PM
im surprised the meeting is still going, isn't it past Stern's bedtime? :D

daleja424
10-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Just a question, if they reach agreements tomorrow will the 2 weeks of regular season be cancelled or after Monday?

no one knows for sure...but probably not. they will not cancel games unless they have to, and with a deal in place soon, they don't have to.

daleja424
10-09-2011, 10:11 PM
#fiftyonepointfive

trending all over twitter

NBA_Starter
10-09-2011, 10:12 PM

I'd guess if they get a deal now or by 12 AM Monday they'd save all games but nobody really officially knows.

llemon
10-09-2011, 10:13 PM
The players did eventually cave

LOL!!!!! Yes, to the point that the owners are claiming poverty.

God. Think about what you just said. That is hilarious.

metsfanssince05
10-09-2011, 10:14 PM
#fiftyonepointfive

trending all over twitterWhat exactly does this mean?????

mzgrizz
10-09-2011, 10:14 PM
#fiftyonepointfive

Feeling a little hope here again

daleja424
10-09-2011, 10:17 PM
What exactly does this mean?????

just that globally people are showing support for the 51.5% plan... ie... split the difference and get this show on the road.

Just find it funny that people talk about how no one cares about the NBA, but then on football sunday in the middle of the MLB playoffs...people are generally distraught about the thought of losing basketball.

NBA FTW!

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 10:17 PM
What exactly does this mean?????

51.5 pct for the players is what it means....Ken Berger came up with the plan and it made a lot of sense, so now its trending on twitter

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 10:20 PM
LOL!!!!! Yes, to the point that the owners are claiming poverty.

God. Think about what you just said. That is hilarious.

at the time it was widely speculated that the owners won the negotiation in 98, obviously externalities in the enviornment have changed since then.... LMAo if you really believe owners arent profitable on the basketball side... the owners try and combine other side businesses that are failing. theres no way we could come off the highest revenue EVER and have these guys saying they are losing (from BRI activity)....

also in 98 teams werent as anxious to give max salaries to just anybody. There should be 5-10 players in the league who are considered for max contracts.... or even close to max... a non playoff team shouldnt have 3 guys making over 10 million a year

llemon
10-09-2011, 10:20 PM
#fiftyonepointfive

And here is the point. If Union says they would consider 50/50, that brings the bargaining point to 51%.

Having said no now brings the bargaining point to 51.5%.

It is all about tactics. At first I thought the union made the wrong move, thinking instead of saying 'no' to 50/50, they should have responded with 'Are you willing to accept 52/48. But that would have brought the bargaining point to 51%.

Seems the union wants that extra 1/2%.

I now commend the union. At the time of the 50/50 offer, I was thinking as an NBA fan, not a union man.

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 10:22 PM
51.5 pct for the players is what it means....Ken Berger came up with the plan and it made a lot of sense, so now its trending on twitter

LOL- well its half way between 53 and 50.... but outside of that it holds no weight... other than a reporter proving he could use a calculater

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 10:23 PM
And here is the point. If Union says they would consider 50/50, that brings the bargaining point to 51%.

Having said no now brings the bargaining point to 51.5%.

It is all about tactics. At first I thought the union made the wrong move, thinking instead of saying 'no' to 50/50, they should have responded with 'Are you willing to accept 52/48. But that would have brought the bargaining point to 51%.

Seems the union wants that extra 1/2%.

I now commend the union. At the time of the 50/50 offer, I was thinking as an NBA fan, not a union man.

but have the owners agreed to 51.5%... see unfortunately both sides will need to agree for it to work. Its easy for someone not in the room to throw out random numbers

210Don
10-09-2011, 10:26 PM
does ordering 8 steaks mean the deal is done?

daleja424
10-09-2011, 10:26 PM

LMAO! It at least means they are hungry and working through dinner. LOL

although steaks do seem celebratory...

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 10:27 PM
LOL- well its half way between 53 and 50.... but outside of that it holds no weight... other than a reporter proving he could use a calculater

well he worked out different scenarios and it ended up being that 51.5 pct for the players and 48.5 pct for the owners will work out the best (according to all the calculations he made)

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 10:28 PM

no it means its dinner time lol

KBergCBS Ken Berger
Word is, negotiators ordered eight steaks about an hour ago. Based on our location, that's 0.75 percent of BRI. #NBA #lockout
3 minutes ago

daleja424
10-09-2011, 10:28 PM

It is also right between 46 and 57 (The starting points) FWIW

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 10:29 PM
well he worked out different scenarios and it ended up being that 51.5 pct for the players and 48.5 pct for the owners will work out the best (according to all the calculations he made)

ummmm ok... :rolleyes:

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 10:29 PM
im fricken tired but i want to see what the hell happens.

Wade>You
10-09-2011, 10:31 PM
just that globally people are showing support for the 51.5% plan... ie... split the difference and get this show on the road.

Just find it funny that people talk about how no one cares about the NBA, but then on football sunday in the middle of the MLB playoffs...people are generally distraught about the thought of losing basketball.

NBA FTW!I honestly believe the NBA is becoming just as popular as MLB/NFL. Especially after 2010 FA when all these players changed team and new title contenders were born, it definitely gets peoples attention.

Badluck33
10-09-2011, 10:33 PM
If these people are in the meeting this long, they are gonna get a deal done tonight.

NBA should be back fellas.

jkiddvc20
10-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Wonder if it was sirloin, london broil, or some other type of steak ordered

mets77
10-09-2011, 10:37 PM
If these people are in the meeting this long, they are gonna get a deal done tonight.

Hope your right.

210Don
10-09-2011, 10:38 PM

hopefully.:)
btw you have a great avatar sig combo :clap:

mets77
10-09-2011, 10:43 PM
KBergCBS Ken Berger
Turns out, the steaks were NOT sent to the negotiating room, per league source. So that BRI money is back on the table.
57 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

CavsYanksDuke
10-09-2011, 10:48 PM
I honestly believe the NBA is becoming just as popular as MLB/NFL. Especially after 2010 FA when all these players changed team and new title contenders were born, it definitely gets peoples attention.

The ratings were incredible during the regular season, which is largely considered the most pointless of all sports regular seasons. The right personalities and the right villain, aka Heat, and you have a recipe for quality entertainment.

NBA_Starter
10-09-2011, 10:52 PM
So they are just now eating LOL

jkiddvc20
10-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Watching the end of the football game and then I am going to bed I have a 7 am class in the morning.

I pray that I wake up to some pretty awesome ****ing news

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Watching the end of the football game and then I am going to bed I have a 7 am class in the morning.

I pray that I wake up to some pretty awesome ****ing news

i have class at 8 am but i ainst going to sleep until i hear some news!

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 11:00 PM
its nice to be on the west coast for these meetings

mzgrizz
10-09-2011, 11:04 PM
I'm usually on Central but I'm on Eastern today.
Going to go to sleep and check in the middle of the night!
:pray: :pray: :pray:

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 11:05 PM
whats taking so long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 11:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaiSHcHM0PA

Lol :D

oak2455
10-09-2011, 11:10 PM
whats taking so long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good question:eyebrow:

DoMeFavors
10-09-2011, 11:14 PM
good question:eyebrow:

This mirrors the last lockout a sudden meeting in the middle of the night, and now the players will vote on it.

llemon
10-09-2011, 11:14 PM
but have the owners agreed to 51.5%... see unfortunately both sides will need to agree for it to work. Its easy for someone not in the room to throw out random numbers

Wait a carnsarned minute. Are you saying that BOTH SIDES have to agree on an every particular issue for this deal to get done.?

I take back everything I have ever thought since I was brought into this world by the cloning process.

oak2455
10-09-2011, 11:17 PM
This mirrors the last lockout a sudden meeting in the middle of the night, and now the players will vote on it.

I really wish they settle this and work this out already:clap:

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 11:24 PM
:confused:

DoMeFavors
10-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Its good they are meeting long, I just dont want them to come out with nothing. This is the last hour they have a deadline they need to work together.

knicks_champ
10-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Que paso?

Badluck33
10-09-2011, 11:29 PM
i feel like a father waiting outside the delivery room. pacing back and forth. I'm not going to sleep until this f'n meeting is over. Good or Bad.

Wade>You
10-09-2011, 11:30 PM
i feel like a father waiting outside the delivery room. pacing back and forth. I'm not going to sleep until this f'n meeting is over. Good or Bad.I'm also planning to stay up until we have news about the meeting, but I'm hoping it's not too late.

llemon
10-09-2011, 11:30 PM
:confused:

You seem puzzled.

Ill21
10-09-2011, 11:31 PM
This can only be good. I doubt they would meet 5 plus hours on a Sunday night if they where nit making progress. Trying to stay awake lol. Maybe ill take a ride over to the hotel and hang out with the reporters.

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 11:32 PM
yeah man, same with me. Im happy the meeting is still going on, i dont think theyd be staying up this late if they didnt think they had a chance to get something accomplished done within the next day or 2. But i want to go to bed...

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 11:33 PM
This can only be good. I doubt they would meet 5 plus hours on a Sunday night if they where nit making progress. Trying to stay awake lol. Maybe ill take a ride over to the hotel and hang out with the reporters.

I definetely would if i lived close to the place there meeting at...

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 11:35 PM
dear stern, silver, holt, buss, hunter, fisher, and evans

hurry the **** up!

Ill21
10-09-2011, 11:36 PM
J
I definetely would if i lived close to the place there meeting at...

Im like 20 min away just not sure if I want to get dressed and leave the house.

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 11:36 PM

im thinking of doing the same lol

Wade>You
10-09-2011, 11:37 PM
@WojYahooNBA
A league source briefed on labor meeting within past two hours tells Y!: "No progress yet." Talks pushing past fifth hour here in NY now.:pity:

airronijordan
A league source briefed on labor meeting within past two hours tells Y!: "No progress yet." Talks pushing past fifth hour here in NY now.

CeeDub15
KBergCBS Ken Berger
#NBA talks just hit the five-hour mark, by my calculations. I have to move my car by 7 a.m.

doubt it lasts that long.

DoMeFavors
10-09-2011, 11:38 PM

Stern must have said something for the Union to even meet with them

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 11:38 PM
J

Im like 20 min away just not sure if I want to get dressed and leave the house.

Nice. Yeah it is getting a bit late i guess.

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 11:39 PM
@WojYahooNBA:pity:

BWAHAHAHA. **** :facepalm:

Cano4prez
10-09-2011, 11:40 PM
:laugh:

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 11:41 PM
A league source briefed on labor meeting within past two hours tells Y!: "No progress yet." Talks pushing past fifth hour here in NY now.

lol, this stuff makes 0 sence to me. How can you meet for this long and not make any progress? It honestly doesnt make sence. Especially when its a sunday night and it seamed like alot of people were anti-sunday for meetings.

Ill21
10-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Wow I hope that's not true. How have they made no progress. What are they doing talking about there fantasy teams.

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 11:42 PM
im debating on going to bed and setting my alarm on my phone for about 2 AM to see if they made progress or not.

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Wow I hope that's not true. How have they made no progress. What are they doing talking about there fantasy teams.

they always say no progress... as long as it isnt complete yet

DoMeFavors
im debating on going to bed and setting my alarm on my phone for about 2 AM to see if they made progress or not.

Feels better when you wake up in the morning and hear good news.

TO Rapz
How long is this meeting gona be?

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 11:46 PM
lol, this stuff makes 0 sence to me. How can you meet for this long and not make any progress? It honestly doesnt make sence. Especially when its a sunday night and it seamed like alot of people were anti-sunday for meetings.

i agree...also how can you meet this long and not get a deal done already?

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 11:46 PM
the longer this meeting goes though- the better I feel... I just hope thats a reasonable barometer.... 6 hrs on a sunday night seems like a ton of time... if nothing at all is getting done

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 11:47 PM
How long is this meeting gona be?

LOL its prob not good to put a scheduled end time to a negotiation

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 11:47 PM
how can you negotiate for 5 hours on 2%. Wtf can you say for so long?

Stern: 50-50 or gtfo

Hunter: no you gtfo

Stern: no u

Hunter: no u

smh

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 11:48 PM
i agree...also how can you meet this long and not get a deal done already?

well itd be cool if they agreed on BRI and are discussing midlevel exceptions, bird rights and other concepts to the new cap structure

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Feels better when you wake up in the morning and hear good news.

true..hmm. Tough decision. What happens if theres bad news? that will ruin my day.

Nyc4You
10-09-2011, 11:49 PM
true..hmm. Tough decision. What happens if theres bad news? that will ruin my day.

at least youd get some sleep LOL.

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 11:52 PM
at least youd get some sleep LOL.

Yeah. I think im gonna take that route and hopefully there is some good news. Better be some good news when i wake up at 2 in the morning otherwise imma be pissed.

metsfanssince05
-_-

Wade>You
"Meeting is over, Stern had nothing to say other than they're meeting again tomorrow." - Woj

"Stern said NBA and NBPA agreed to have no comment on the five hour-plus meetings in New York on Sunday night." - Woj

DoMeFavors
10-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Meeting over, they will meet again tommrow

airronijordan
10-09-2011, 11:54 PM
how can you negotiate for 5 hours on 2%. Wtf can you say for so long?

Stern: 50-50 or gtfo

Hunter: no you gtfo

Stern: no u

Hunter: no u

smh

its more like this:

Stern: lets talk business

Hunter: how about a soft cap and players receive 57% of BRI

Silver: GTFO

Fisher: No! You gtfo and stfu

Jeanie Buss: How about all of you stfu......(on the phone) Hey Phil, whats up?

Phil Jackson: Honey, I'm coming out of retirement so there better be a fukn season! :)

heyman321
10-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Lame

lakers4sho
"Meeting is over, Stern had nothing to say other than they're meeting again tomorrow." - Woj

"Stern said NBA and NBPA agreed to have no comment on the five hour-plus meetings in New York on Sunday night." - Woj

Stern is such a troll.

Nyc4You
Stern said NBA and NBPA agreed to have no comment on the five hour-plus meetings in New York on Sunday night.
1 minute ago

Like rlly? WTF! feed us in

CeeDub15
KBergCBS Ken Berger
Stern: No comment other than to say they're meeting tomorrow afternoon.

WTF. you serious? I stay up to hear this?

DoMeFavors
10-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Maybe they have something agreed to but incase something goes wrong tommrow dont want to make it official.

Wade>You
BREAKING NEWS: NO UPDATES YET! :laugh:

CeeDub15
THis is so stupid, why cant you comment?

NYKnicksAllDay
10-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Maybe they have something agreed to but incase something goes wrong tommrow dont want to make it official.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

metsfanssince05
Omfg! :(

Nyc4You
Lmao the reports must be mad at stern LOL. i can just imagine it.. stern comes out of the meeting with his troll face.

Stern: no comments will be made *troll face*

Ken berger: Wtf u serious!?!

Stern: Brain Fart !

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 11:58 PM
It would really suck to be in the media and sit there for 5 hours to hear that. At least i could lay on my bed and watch the football game while it was going on... :laugh2:

likemystylez
10-09-2011, 11:58 PM
meeting tommorow is very good news- if they went 5.5 hours and were exactly where they were going in, and exactly where they were yesterday when neither side wanted to even waste time meeting.... if they were in the same spot, I cant imagine either side going at it again tommorow afternoon.

CeeDub15
10-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Yeah, its hard to say if this is good news or bad news in all honesty.

daleja424
10-09-2011, 11:59 PM
At least they still want to talk more tomorrow. That's something...

CavsYanksDuke
10-10-2011, 12:00 AM
If I was a member of the media at that scene, I'd be FURIOUS.

Nyc4You
10-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Billy Hunter says he isn't going to LA for players meeting, and will return to meet with NBA at 2 pm on Monday.
49 seconds ago

Duddy
10-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Breaking News: Stern is a douche.

Oh, wait... We all know that already