PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant: Kwame Brown Was Afraid of Getting the Ball

ILMindState
10-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Fairly or unfairly, people have always accused Kobe Bryant of not passing the ball to his teammates. But, really, after reading this Kwame “Hands of Stone” Brown story, can you blame the guy for occasionally hogging the rock? From the WaPo (and YouTube): “I got to say, it was tough doing it that year (2008). I was playing with guys, God bless them — God bless them — but Kwame Brown. Smush Parker. We had one game right before…by the way, what I say here, I say directly to them, see what I’m saying, I don’t talk behind people’s back. Things that I say to you, I’m comfortable saying this to them and I’ve said this to them…But like, the game before we traded for Pau, were playing Detroit and I had like 40 points towards the end of the game. This is back when Detroit had Rasheed [Wallace], Chauncey [Billups] and those guys, so we had no business being in the game. So down the stretch of the game, they put in a box and one. So I’m surrounded by these players, Detroit players, and Kwame is under the basket, all by himself. Literally, like all by himself. So I pass him the ball, he bobbled it and it goes out of bounds. So we go back to the timeout and I’m [upset], right? He goes, ‘I was wide open.’ ‘Yeah, I know.’ This is how I’m talking to him, like, during the game. I said, ‘You’re going to be open again, Kwame, because Rasheed is just totally ignoring you.’ He said, ‘Well, if I’m open don’t throw it to me.’ I was like, ‘Huh?’ He said, ‘Don’t throw it to me.’ I said, ‘Why not?’ He said, well, ‘I’m nervous. If I catch it and they foul me, I won’t make the free throws.’ I said, ‘Hell no!’ I go to Phil [Jackson], I say, ‘Hey Phil, take him out of the game.’ He’s like, ‘Nah, let him figure it out.’ So, we lose the game, I go the locker room, I’m steaming. Steaming. I’m furious. Then, finally I get a call, they said, ‘You know what, we got something that’s happening with Pau.’ I was like, ‘Alright. Cool.’…That’s what I had to deal with the whole year.’”

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/10/kobe-bryant-kwame-brown-was-afraid-of-getting-the-ball/

I thought this article was kind of funny.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-07-2011, 03:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PP4RT-vv-o

ewmania
10-07-2011, 03:24 PM
hahahaahahahaa

Ebbs
10-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Lolz. . . I remember in junior high I was like that. Some people can change that mentality over time though. My last few years of ball I wanted the rock in the final seconds every time.

raiderNlakerfan
10-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Wow. I can literally picture this happenin word by word jus how kobe said it lol, poor kwame it wasnt his fault he got traded to the lakers for caron

justinnum1
10-07-2011, 03:37 PM
lol

bovice163
10-07-2011, 03:50 PM
hahaha Kwame, what a *****

LakeShowRaider
10-07-2011, 04:01 PM
My fondest memory of Kwame is when he dropped Boris Diaw in the playoffs back in 06. Too funny!

thenetslegend
10-07-2011, 04:08 PM
what did anyone see in this guy?

Chacarron
10-07-2011, 04:08 PM
So it wasn't that his hands were small but he was afraid of having the ball.

Chronz
10-07-2011, 04:13 PM
http://youtu.be/6ZoHAjaMYkg

Imadogg of M2 asked him questions and filmed the convo this article is depicting

Chi StateOfMind
10-07-2011, 04:26 PM

Lol Funny as hell. He's a scrub.

asandhu23
10-07-2011, 04:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYFNhjVWQKk

:laugh2:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-07-2011, 04:56 PM

Imadogg of M2 asked him questions and filmed the convo this article is depicting

this is some great **** lmfao:laugh:

Tony_Starks
10-07-2011, 05:08 PM

LOL at "and Smush, I wont even get into that!" Just the very mention of Smushs name made the audience break out in laughter.....

Lim
10-07-2011, 05:50 PM
LOL @ zen master. ‘Nah, let him figure it out.'

JNA17
10-07-2011, 05:50 PM
people say Lebron dealt with crap, trying having Kobe's teammates from 2004-2008 and I guarantee even Lebron wouldn't pass the ball to those chumps.

Tony_Starks
10-07-2011, 05:56 PM
people say Lebron dealt with crap, trying having Kobe's teammates from 2004-2008 and I guarantee even Lebron wouldn't pass the ball to those chumps.

I been saying that for the longest. It's no comparison. Lebron had legitimate players, Kobe had guys that were complete laughing stocks and lucky to be in the league....

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-07-2011, 06:05 PM
people say lebron dealt with crap, trying having kobe's teammates from 2004-2008 and i guarantee even lebron wouldn't pass the ball to those chumps.

i been saying that for the longest. It's no comparison. Lebron had legitimate players, kobe had guys that were complete laughing stocks and lucky to be in the league....

+1

knicks_champ
10-07-2011, 06:25 PM
LOL Kobe is funny!

whitemamba33
10-07-2011, 06:27 PM
I was at that game. Wearing a Lakers jersey in Detroit isn't always the best idea, but it being Magic Johnson and not Kobe made it not so bad lol.

Kobe speaks the truth. This game came down to the wire and it was embarrassing watching Kwame fold under the pressure. Then I got home, found out Gasol was on the team..and the rest is history.

The goods
10-07-2011, 06:32 PM
LOL soooo on top of him havin small hands he was afraid of the ball to . Talk about a double fail.

DwayneMVPwade
10-07-2011, 06:41 PM
lol

Tony_Starks
10-07-2011, 06:47 PM
The crazy part is at one point I remember Kobe was actually turning Kwame into a decent player. He had a decent showing against Phoenix in the playoffs, his confidence was up, and it looked like he actually might turn it around. Then he started messing up again, started getting boo'd at home, and the rest is history.......

Andrew32
10-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Cmon guys... yea Kobe had garbage teams before Gasol came but they weren't significantly worse then what Lebron had most years.

Odom alone is better then anyone Lebron or Wade had during their "garbage" years.

Was Lebrons average Cast better then those Kobe Casts... maybe? Even so any difference would be insignificant.

I personally think Wades Casts were slightly worse and TMac definitely wins the award for worst supporting Casts of the 00's.

OGMarkWahlberg
10-07-2011, 07:55 PM
:laugh:
Michael Jordan you may be the greatest of all time by holy **** you are a horrible owner ..

Kwame Brown :facepalm:
Adam Morrison :facepalm:

kblo247
10-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Michael Jordan you may be the greatest of all time by holy **** you are a horrible owner ..

And Kobe has gotten them noth in exchange for teammates in Caron and Radmanovic who actually served a purpose lol. At lest Kwame got flipped for Pau

juno10
10-07-2011, 10:42 PM

and soon you'll have bismack biyombo to add to this list.

C-Style
10-07-2011, 10:42 PM
LOL @ zen master. ‘Nah, let him figure it out.'

ohhh lawd!!!

sorry I just noticed ur sig!

GREATNESS ONE
10-07-2011, 11:10 PM
hahaha I'm so glad we got some real players around Kobe and saw what he could do with some talent around him. God I makes me Cringe just thinking of Smush, Kwame and Luke as a supproting cast !!! Aaaaaaaaaaah Nightmares !!!!

Avenged
10-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Start of the Kwame era:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0IV6DBKOog

Andrew32
10-07-2011, 11:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4ZUl0iSkuM

beasted86
10-08-2011, 01:17 AM
this is some great **** lmfao:laugh:

LOL at "and Smush, I wont even get into that!" Just the very mention of Smushs name made the audience break out in laughter.....

If this was LeBron talking about his former Cleveland teammates people would be lambasting him.

beasted86
10-08-2011, 01:18 AM

Yup.

Kyle N.
10-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Time to see who loses the Kwame Brown Draft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWyPNQnsa_w&feature=related

RevisIsland
10-08-2011, 02:30 AM
I love when Kobe bashes people. You can really sense the hate.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-08-2011, 03:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqGQIf9XLk&feature=related

UPRock
10-08-2011, 03:53 AM
Wow LOL.

Bruno
10-08-2011, 05:48 AM
I remember those days.

Weird looking at Kobe in #24 with a team of scrubs/youngins around him. Always forget that there was about a year there post #8, pre Fisher/Ariza/Gasol.

MTar786
10-08-2011, 09:16 AM
I remember those days.

Weird looking at Kobe in #24 with a team of scrubs/youngins around him. Always forget that there was about a year there post #8, pre Fisher/Ariza/Gasol.

i remember when we got gasol it still didnt seem like enough.. ariza and brown coming in for evans and rad was that difference maker imo. hence the win in 09 and not 08

they should have just given us rudy gay too :).. for luke

ps.

smush/tierre brown
kobe/profit
walton/evans
odom/radman
kwame/mihm

that is a team to complain about.. lebron in cleveland still had reasonably decent teamates

mo williams, big z, gibson, varajeo, shaq, jamsion, parker, moon >>>>> smush, tierre, profit, kwame, mihm, odom and evans

juno10
10-08-2011, 09:37 AM
i remember when we got gasol it still didnt seem like enough.. ariza and brown coming in for evans and rad was that difference maker imo. hence the win in 09 and not 08

they should have just given us rudy gay too :).. for luke

ps.

smush/tierre brown
kobe/profit
walton/evans
odom/radman
kwame/mihm

that is a team to complain about.. lebron in cleveland still had reasonably decent teamates

mo williams, big z, gibson, varajeo, shaq, jamsion, parker, moon >>>>> smush, tierre, profit, kwame, mihm, odom and evans

why are you listing his teamates in the later years if you add jamison,mo,shaq, than you have to add pau bynum for lakers. this is the roseter you should use for the cavs
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2008.html
notice eric snow and ira newble play fair amount of mins, and that daniel gibson is arguably their 2nd best player.

Stack_NJNets
10-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Interesting. What a strange draft choice. Still don't know what they saw in him.......

Stack_NJNets
10-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Click here too see flashes of potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8eMsEXPmX0

thenetslegend
10-08-2011, 10:38 AM

wouldnt be surprised if kemba sucks bad too

THE MTL
10-08-2011, 02:41 PM

LmFAO!!!! Steven A Smith

Tony_Starks
10-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Looking back at it how in the world did he get that team to the playoffs in the West and almost beat Phoenix? Not only did they have Kwame and Smush who were complete jokes but damn Chris Mihm and a never healthy Luke Walton? I can laugh about it now but wow those games used to be painful to watch.......

KnicksorBust
10-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Just further proof that Kobe's 05/06 season was an all-time great season.

Hangtime
10-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Kwame "small hands" Brown.

Bruno
10-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Just further proof that Kobe's 05/06 season was an all-time great season.

When adjusted for pace it was every bit as good of a scoring year as Jordans '87 and Wilts '62. All time great year, there's no arguing it.

last stand
10-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Cmon guys... yea Kobe had garbage teams before Gasol came but they weren't significantly worse then what Lebron had most years.

Odom alone is better then anyone Lebron or Wade had during their "garbage" years.

Was Lebrons average Cast better then those Kobe Casts... maybe? Even so any difference would be insignificant.

I personally think Wades Casts were slightly worse and TMac definitely wins the award for worst supporting Casts of the 00's.

lol fail. i would take varejo, williams, parker, zydrunas 10 times out of 10

kobe's squad was odom, luke, kwame, and smush

its not even worth a comparison. every player from that cavs team is still in the league. smush can't even survive in the D-league, luke gets about 10 min every 30 games, and kwame doesn't see the floor

so if we are taking count kobe's starting lineup couldn't even stay in the league.

the lakers backup PG was shammond williams. in 2005 the starting PGs were chucky atkins, tierre brown, and tony bobbit

a guy named laron profit was the backup 3 and 2 for the lakers.

last stand
10-09-2011, 12:37 AM
why are you listing his teamates in the later years if you add jamison,mo,shaq, than you have to add pau bynum for lakers. this is the roseter you should use for the cavs
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2008.html
notice eric snow and ira newble play fair amount of mins, and that daniel gibson is arguably their 2nd best player.

um

delonte west
ben wallace
anderson varejo
zydrunas illgauskas
larry hughes

last stand
10-09-2011, 12:40 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2006.html

WTF is that

is that even an NBA roster. i remember hoping devin green would develop

Andrew32
10-09-2011, 12:58 AM
Cmon

Smush was putting up 12/3.5/4 Assists/1.5 Steals and shot well from the field and 3pt range.

Yea he wasnt a great PG but he was far from being the worst he was middle of the pack overall.

Kwame sucked offensively and had nervous hands but defensively he was one of the better C's in the league.

Luke when healthy was a good all around player, definitly can call him a good role player.
in the one year he got some real playing time (07) he put up like 12/5/5 on good %'s.

Odom was better then any player Lebron had by a large margin no ways around that.

Seriously I know the mid 00 Lakers were weak squads but to say they were significantly badder then Lebrons Casts especially his early ones is just make believe. Same with Wade after 06 those casts were garbage once Shaq's prime ended and the veterans retired into the sunset.

Andrew32
10-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Cmon

Smush was putting up 12/3.5/4 Assists/1.5 Steals and shot well from the field and 3pt range.

Yea he wasnt a great PG but he was far from being the worst he was middle of the pack overall.

Kwame sucked offensively and had nervous hands but defensively he was one of the better C's in the league.

Luke when healthy was a good all around player, definitly can call him a good role player.
in the one year he got some real playing time (07) he put up like 12/5/5 on good %'s.

Odom was better then any player Lebron had by a large margin no ways around that.

Seriously I know the mid 00 Lakers were weak squads but to say they were significantly badder then Lebrons Casts especially his early ones is just make believe. Same with Wade after 06 those casts were garbage once Shaq's prime ended and the veterans retired into the sunset.

spreadeagle
10-09-2011, 01:19 AM
best ever KAAWAME BROWN? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PP4RT-vv-o :clap:

spreadeagle
10-09-2011, 01:26 AM
oh man :facepalm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0yVg5YLQhQ&feature=related

last stand
10-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Cmon

lol and why did smush have career years in LA. its not difficult to understand. as soon as smush left LA he went to miami and couldn't even stay on the team.

yes luke put up 12, 5, 5 why did he do all of that. you see there is a difference. lebrons teammates were successful before they got to cleveland. they had successful careers. kobes teammates are largely out of the league or getting no minutes outside of odom.

and since you brought up odom. if you actually watched him for 82 games you'd know he only showed up for about 41 of them.

that was the roster. anyone who even tries to say that roster isn't worse than clevelands or miamis is only lying to themselves

and i cannot believe you defended smush. the guy is just an abomination of a basketball player

Wade>You
10-09-2011, 02:18 AM
Gotta love the Laker fans that come in here and bash Kwame. Every current / former Laker in the Kobe era has their own videos to show their shortcomings while hiding Kobe's in order to pass the blame on as to why Kobe doesn't have 13 championships... :pity:

mekedubs
10-09-2011, 02:21 AM
lol and why did smush have career years in LA. its not difficult to understand. as soon as smush left LA he went to miami and couldn't even stay on the team.

yes luke put up 12, 5, 5 why did he do all of that. you see there is a difference. lebrons teammates were successful before they got to cleveland. they had successful careers. kobes teammates are largely out of the league or getting no minutes outside of odom.

and since you brought up odom. if you actually watched him for 82 games you'd know he only showed up for about 41 of them.

that was the roster. anyone who even tries to say that roster isn't worse than

clevelands or miamis is only lying to themselves

and i cannot believe you defended smush. the guy is just an abomination of a

basketball player

And not to mention that BRIAN COOK played SIGNIFICANT minutes:facepalm:
Medvendenko is no longer in the league, Jim Jackson was like 50yrs. old, Aaron McKie hadn't done anything since the 2001 76ers, Devean George has ALWAYS been garbage, Von Wafer:facepalm:'nuff said....
I will say this though... Laron Profit was actually a pretty good player before he ruptured his Achilles tendon. The guy played well with Kobe then the injury happened... But yeah, Kobe had some serious scrubs with him that season:cry:

last stand
10-09-2011, 02:25 AM
Gotta love the Laker fans that come in here and bash Kwame. Every current / former Laker in the Kobe era has their own videos to show their shortcomings while hiding Kobe's in order to pass the blame on as to why Kobe doesn't have 13 championships... :pity:

nope he doesn't have 13 he has 5........:shrug:

last stand
10-09-2011, 02:27 AM
And not to mention that BRIAN COOK played SIGNIFICANT minutes:facepalm:
Medvendenko is no longer in the league, Jim Jackson was like 50yrs. old, Aaron McKie hadn't done anything since the 2001 76ers, Devean George has ALWAYS been garbage, Von Wafer:facepalm:'nuff said....
I will say this though... Laron Profit was actually a pretty good player before he ruptured his Achilles tendon. The guy played well with Kobe then the injury happened... But yeah, Kobe had some serious scrubs with him that season:cry:

aaron mckie was already on his career death bed. it was a horrific roster that the lakers are lucky mitch was able to flip around into a championship roster

LAKERMANIA
10-09-2011, 03:48 AM
Kwame Brown, Smush Parker, Brian Cook, Luke Walton, Chris Mihm.... What an awful team... How could you look at this team and even try to justify that they had talent/were good?

Andrew32
10-09-2011, 03:55 AM
No one is saying they were a good squad only that people make them out to be much worse then they really were. Teams like Lebrons Cavs (most years) and DWades late 00 Casts really weren't significantly better then them and they had worse 2nd options compared to what Kobe had in 0dom.

So yes it was a terrible supporting Cast but there have been many similar ones and some worse (TMac 03).

MJ-BULLS
10-09-2011, 04:20 AM
Oh kwame.

Yankee Clipper
10-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Oh, Kwame Brown.

king4day
10-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Confidence is shattered easily. Pretty interesting story though.

Chronz
10-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Looking back at it how in the world did he get that team to the playoffs in the West and almost beat Phoenix? Not only did they have Kwame and Smush who were complete jokes but damn Chris Mihm and a never healthy Luke Walton? I can laugh about it now but wow those games used to be painful to watch.......
As much as you guys love to rip Smush and Kwame they did provide the Lakers something they lacked the year prior. Kwame is one of the strongest post defenders in the game, his presence allowed the Lakers to play bigmen straight up. Without the constant doubling and added length on the perimeter (Smush), the Lakers were able to defend the post and the 3pt shot ALOT better. As a result their defense improved leaps and bounds from the last place showing from the year prior.

Their offense didnt take a hit and the credit for that gos entirely to Kobe, he was able to fill the void left by Carons departure. As much as I hated seeing Caron leave LA at the time, looking back the trade made sense for those reasons.

In the playoffs they were able to push Phx to 7 not from the brilliance of Kobe, but by playing team ball. It was PJ's decision to have Odom/Kwame/Bynum punish the Suns down low. Odom murdered Marion IIRC, still I dont know why Kobe was held down so much that series. Even with PJ telling him to involve his teammates, he should have been much more efficient IMO.

I wish PJ would have just stuck with what got them into the playoffs because I dont like not knowing, as it stands that series by Kobe wasnt very imrpessive by superstar standards. Just the same Kobes roster was crap by championship standards, but at the same time there have been plenty worse cast and plenty more impressive carrying jobs.

Tmac would have killed to have Smush/Odom/Kwame/Walton on his team a few years.