PDA

View Full Version : Deron Williams not impressing anyone in Europe so far

spreadeagle
10-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Deron Williams has not looked good. At all.

There is no sugar coating it. A few games in playing for Turkish side Besiktas, the biggest name in the NBA to sign overseas has not impressed anyone.

Williams led Besiktas into the EuroCup last week, which is a second tier tournament that took place in Belgium, and he had 7 points on 3 of 13 shooting with 6 turnovers. The man who should dominate at this level watched his team get eliminated fast.

Days before that in D-Will’s debut for Besiktas he was 3 for 15 shooting.

The man the Nets are talking about building around is getting bumped around, reports the New York Times. The physical play allowed in Europe seems to throw Williams off his game.

Asked if he was still adjusting to the European game, Williams said: “I mean, I’ve played in a lot of European basketball. I’ve played in the Olympics. But this is definitely different. The way the reffing has been going has been different for me, but I’ve got to adjust.”

Williams also looks out of shape, tweeted Jonathan Givony of Draft Express, something echoed by others watching the feed of the game.

It is all something that should concern Nets fans. It in no way is time to panic — he’s playing his way into shape and getting his skills sharp just being out on the court — but it’s something to watch. After playing through injuries last season and missing the end of the year, Williams is still trying to find his groove. Wonder if NBA teams will start playing him real physical now. Not based on this but do you think he is an elite guard going forward to build a contender around?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/06/deron-williams-not-impressing-anyone-in-europe-so-far/

WeBallin
10-06-2011, 09:28 AM
^^^^^ No they won't cause the NBA has turned soft, This is the reason he sayin he has to adjust, in the NBA there's no touchin, Games are called toward the offense, In euro you gotta ball up!

iliketurtles24
10-06-2011, 09:36 AM
maybe nba should adjust back to physical bball

tbone2171
10-06-2011, 09:38 AM
This is why Ricky Rubio will be successful in the NBA

spreadeagle
10-06-2011, 09:43 AM
This is why Ricky Rubio will be successful in the NBA

Minny with Love Beez Rubio and Dwill will be hella fun to watch

beasted86
10-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Or maybe Williams is continuing his ultra mediocre play he finished the season with.

Through the last 19 games of the season in February, March, and April, he was only getting 15.9 PPG on 37% FG. He's clearly not been in proper shape for a while now just looking at him and his quickness.

Sly Guy
10-06-2011, 10:04 AM
'so far'. The problem with all these clubs overseas is that when they sign a big name from north america they expect instant results. Basketball, especially the point guard position requires time to adjust to teammates, let alone a new style of play and way of officiating the game. Deron will probably look like garbage until the NBA settles it's labour dispute, or at least until he's there long enough to learn his team mates' names.

Mishmin
10-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Not concerned. His numbers will turn around. And you nets fans better pray he stays with you.

LdotAdot
10-06-2011, 10:07 AM
"The physical play allowed in Europe seems to throw Williams off his game."

So ironic it's funny.

jkiddvc20
10-06-2011, 10:13 AM
This is a non issue

DoMeFavors
10-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Maybe he isnt going all out because he has an NBA team to go back too.

shep33
10-06-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm wondering about his effort and what kind of shape he is in. Is he doing this because he really wants to play ball? Was this just a gimmick against owners? I will say this, IMO I don't think NBA players are going to over exert themselves, and risk injury with huge money left on their NBA contracts.

I think a lot of us agree that this is more of a money making/lockout threat than it is just Dwill wanting to play ball in Turkey.

spreadeagle
10-06-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm wondering about his effort and what kind of shape he is in. Is he doing this because he really wants to play ball? Was this just a gimmick against owners? I will say this, IMO I don't think NBA players are going to over exert themselves, and risk injury with huge money left on their NBA contracts.

I think a lot of us agree that this is more of a money making/lockout threat than it is just Dwill wanting to play ball in Turkey.

agree with this

LakersIn5
10-06-2011, 10:38 AM
nets fans should be concerned because deron will leave the nets once he becomes a free agent

Evolution23
10-06-2011, 10:42 AM
The future of the Nets lol

Chill_Will_24
10-06-2011, 10:45 AM
He looks out of shape. His shot is still off too.. Admittedly his current Turkish team is worse than the 12-70 Nets... but still he clearly hasnt been the same player we remember.

Chill_Will_24
10-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Idk he seems very passive in the games that ive seen of him in Turkey. Almost like he isnt trying. However even if thats true its still concerning considering he is a professional and is getting paid to play to the best of his abilities.

basketfan4life
10-06-2011, 10:52 AM

First Kobe Bryant came here to Turkey as part of nike euro tour, we saw him dunk and something, then i went to watch deron play for besiktas and i literally got sick!

Shmontaine
10-06-2011, 11:04 AM

i gotta agree with this... he's not going to risk the money the nba will give him with an injury playing overseas where nobody is watching or cares...

imagesrdecievin
10-06-2011, 11:10 AM
This is nothing more than training camp for DWill. I am happy he is getting an opportunity to rehab his wrist while playing competitively. If there are NBA games this year Deron will be a better player thanks to his play in Europe regardless of what his level of success(or lack thereof) is over there.

topdog
10-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Americans don't understand Euroleague. This is why you can't assume anything with overseas play or stats. We're so used to a superstar league and I bet Williams stopped a couple times and threw up his hands for a foul call the refs had no interest in giving him.

Chill_Will_24
10-06-2011, 11:38 AM
i gotta agree with this... he's not going to risk the money the nba will give him with an injury playing overseas where nobody is watching or cares...

Fair enough but it still doesnt explain why his shot has been so off. He is usually money. Unless he lied when he said his wrist was fully healed

Sadds The Gr8
10-06-2011, 11:41 AM
It's because Euroleague doesn't have biased refs that gag on the superstars' nuts.

Shmontaine
10-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Fair enough but it still doesnt explain why his shot has been so off. He is usually money. Unless he lied when he said his wrist was fully healed

effort... if you're not going full steam, pressure and contact has more of an effect on your positioning and shot... IMO of course, like most, i haven't watched a second of his play overseas, and i don't plan to (especially after hearing this)

jmoney85
10-06-2011, 12:03 PM
nets fans should be concerned because deron will leave the nets once he becomes a free agent

hereeeee we goooo againnn

ewmania
10-06-2011, 12:07 PM
lets be honest, deron williams has been a no show everysince Jerry Sloan left

i don't know why people continue to overrate this guy

EDIT: when sloan left the jazz went down in the standings, and his numbers was pretty bad in the last games as a net

Chill_Will_24
10-06-2011, 12:12 PM
lets be honest, deron williams has been a no show everysince Jerry Sloan left

i don't know why people continue to overrate this guy

EDIT: when sloan left the jazz went down in the standings, and his numbers was pretty bad in the last games as a net

Gotta agree here. His severely injured wrist was the excuse thru the season but whats his excuse for 3-17 shooting in Turkey vs lesser talent? Jordan Farmar seems to be doing well? If Farmar better built for Euro ball or something?

blahblahyoutoo
10-06-2011, 12:13 PM
It's because Euroleague doesn't have biased refs that gag on the superstars' nuts.

lol, possibly true and if so, loving it.

RZZZA
10-06-2011, 12:18 PM
IT'S BECAUSE DERON WILLIAMS SUCKS lololol!

Can't believe this thread reached 2 pages before somebody said something like that. Come on PSD, you slippin'

Jtatstarranch
10-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Wonder if NBA teams will start playing him real physical now. Not based on this but do you think he is an elite guard going forward to build a contender around?

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/06/deron-williams-not-impressing-anyone-in-europe-so-far/

He's not that good man, I 've been telling people for years.

jimbobjarree
10-06-2011, 02:07 PM
wonder if that wrist is still an issue? If so, the Jazz did well to get so much for damaged goods.

I wouldn't worry anyway, pre season would have only just about started, I wouldn't start judging his performances for at least a couple of weeks. Especialy since the Nets shut him down to have surgery at the end of last season, so he's had an even longer offseason than most as it is.

Hawkeye15
10-06-2011, 02:30 PM

some of this is partially true, for sure. But if you remember Deron coming out of college, he was a chubrock. If he hasn't been playing, he will appear, and be out of shape. I honestly think he signed overseas to start getting in shape, nothing more.

Not getting injured is the primary goal of anyone under contract or that will get a big deal soon if they play overseas during the lockout.

It is hilarious though, that this article is basically saying the same crap many here say, that the NBA is sissyball. It makes me believe even further that Rubio will be just fine in the NBA, where you can't touch ball handlers

FOBolous
10-06-2011, 02:50 PM
dwill was the product of the system.

RZZZA
10-06-2011, 04:35 PM
dwill was the product of the system.

Yeah, Boozer made him look good.

smith&wesson
10-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Dwill is a beast. any one who doesnt think so doesnt know ball.

he is getting in shape and getting paid. other players should be doing this! who cares about his career stats in the nba. lets judge him by the small sample size of games he has played on his temp contract.

shep33
10-06-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm sorry... but people here calling Dwill overrated or bad is just mind boggling. Maybe you guys don't watch him play often enough or aren't aware of what he has done in his career.

Are you guys basing this off his games with the nets? Well he was injured, and he still averaged 13 dimes per game and 5 rebounds with the Nets, so I don't get the logic there with some people calling him out. Also, when your a pg, that is the absolute toughest transition to make when traded. Utah's system was completely different, and Deron played under Sloan his entire career. Then all of a sudden he gets put in a new system with new personel, while injured, and his only fault is that he shot the ball poorly, most likely due to wrist injuries.

If he is so bad or overrated like people here are mentioning, how come the Jazz were 31-26 before they traded him, and finished the year with only 8 more wins without Williams?

Do you guys remember when he was the only player in NBA history (I believe) to average 26 ppg, 11.2 apg, 3 rpg against the favored Denver Nuggets in the 2009-2010 playoffs? He also ended up shooting 48% from 3 and 49.4% from the field in that series. He has nearly identical stats to CP3 in playoff numbers, except Dwill has played in almost double the post season games that CP3 has.

I'm not saying he's the best pg in the league, or the best player in the league, but he's no bum.

And people saying Boozer made him?! What on earth is that all about lol, unless its just a joke that I didn't catch on to. Boozer put up career numbers with Dwill, and last year was Boozer's 2nd worst in the past 5 years. The other season having him only play 37 games due to injury.

Again the Jazz were 31-26, and possibly would've made the playoffs out west had Dwill stayed and the Sloan thing not gone out of hand. I think they were like 3rd or 4th at one point, and again that's without Boozer in the tough western conference.

RZZZA
10-06-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm sorry... but people here calling Dwill overrated or bad is just mind boggling. Maybe you guys don't watch him play often enough or aren't aware of what he has done in his career.

Or maybe we were just joking.

shep33
10-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Or maybe we were just joking.

I knew you were probably joking RZZZA lol, but there are some quotes on here that seem to be aiming at the opposite.

CeeDub15
10-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Minny with Love Beez Rubio and Dwill will be hella fun to watch

Yes sir, definetely excited to see how they do especially having a coach like Adelman.

:up:

Jtatstarranch
10-06-2011, 09:23 PM

Are you guys basing this off his games with the nets? Well he was injured, and he still averaged 13 dimes per game and 5 rebounds with the Nets, so I don't get the logic there with some people calling him out. Also, when your a pg, that is the absolute toughest transition to make when traded. Utah's system was completely different, and Deron played under Sloan his entire career. Then all of a sudden he gets put in a new system with new personel, while injured, and his only fault is that he shot the ball poorly, most likely due to wrist injuries.

If he is so bad or overrated like people here are mentioning, how come the Jazz were 31-26 before they traded him, and finished the year with only 8 more wins without Williams?

Do you guys remember when he was the only player in NBA history (I believe) to average 26 ppg, 11.2 apg, 3 rpg against the favored Denver Nuggets in the 2009-2010 playoffs? He also ended up shooting 48% from 3 and 49.4% from the field in that series. He has nearly identical stats to CP3 in playoff numbers, except Dwill has played in almost double the post season games that CP3 has.

I'm not saying he's the best pg in the league, or the best player in the league, but he's no bum.

And people saying Boozer made him?! What on earth is that all about lol, unless its just a joke that I didn't catch on to. Boozer put up career numbers with Dwill, and last year was Boozer's 2nd worst in the past 5 years. The other season having him only play 37 games due to injury.

Again the Jazz were 31-26, and possibly would've made the playoffs out west had Dwill stayed and the Sloan thing not gone out of hand. I think they were like 3rd or 4th at one point, and again that's without Boozer in the tough western conference.

He's just an above average point guard. In todays league he's probably top 5 or 6, but that's not saying much. Players aren't what they used to be especially guards.

The Jazz were going down before Williams got traded. They started out like 24 and 9 or something and then lost every game after that. I think it was more to do with Sloan leaving.

If he's so good, like people claim, the Nets should make the playoffs next season. A top 3-4 PG should always make the playoffs no matter who is on there team. With the only exception being out west where you sometimes need 50 wins to make the playoffs.

tredigs
10-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Haha, give it a few weeks people. The guy is an absolutely top class talent. I can assure you that being out of game shape and out of your element takes a bit of time to adjust to. If he stays, there's no doubt in my mind he can and will absolutely dismantle his competition with the all around game D. Will possesses.

But it's a nice "GO-EUROPE!" story for the time being.

Sactown
10-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Yes sir, definetely excited to see how they do especially having a coach like Adelman.

:up:

I'm actually upset with this haha, I was hoping the kings could fight for a 7th 8th seed this up coming season and with Adelman coaching the Wolves.. it's going to be much more difficult haha!

CeeDub15
10-06-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm actually upset with this haha, I was hoping the kings could fight for a 7th 8th seed this up coming season and with Adelman coaching the Wolves.. it's going to be much more difficult haha!

Yeah man. I like Sactown's potential too though. Love that trade for Hickson you did a while back, i think he flourishes there, needed a change of scenery.

Im excited about our coaching staff, sounds like Adelman is getting Terry Porter who is a very good assistant and will help with Rubio and could be the guy that takes over once he retires. We also got Bill Bayno who is a very respected coach that worked for Portaland that helped with Aldridge and others. Definetely excited to see what he can do with our wings and big men.

But back on topic, i agree that D-Will will be fine. It has to take some time to get used to another style of basketball, as well as being out of basketball for a while since he had season ending surgery earlier in the year.

Slimsim
10-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Yeah, Boozer made him look good.

wtf :facepalm:

Soxsnation4life
10-06-2011, 11:19 PM
LOL it's a few games. He will get it going. He was less than stellar shooting the ball in New Jersey anyway. Most of these guys in the Euro Leagues aspire to be NBA players.

The goods
10-06-2011, 11:27 PM
^^^^^ No they won't cause the NBA has turned soft, This is the reason he sayin he has to adjust, in the NBA there's no touchin, Games are called toward the offense, In euro you gotta ball up!

I've noticed that also teams rely on the refs and free throws way to much. but the nfl is the same way now a days I guess its the era we live in. :(

mavwar53
10-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Nice way for the OP to overreact to a couple games by an out of shape player who probably cares less about impressing fans of a team he isn't going to be on in 3 months.

RZZZA
10-06-2011, 11:34 PM
wtf :facepalm:

It was supposed to be funny

C-Dub
10-07-2011, 12:18 AM
and everyone was hard on AI...

krisxsong
10-07-2011, 04:01 AM
Or maybe Williams is continuing his ultra mediocre play he finished the season with.

Through the last 19 games of the season in February, March, and April, he was only getting 15.9 PPG on 37% FG. He's clearly not been in proper shape for a while now just looking at him and his quickness.

His dropoff might have something to do with his wrist injury.

krisxsong
10-07-2011, 04:01 AM
Maybe he isnt going all out because he has an NBA team to go back too.

then why go at all???

krisxsong
10-07-2011, 04:03 AM

Lakers fans should be concerned because Kobe is on the decline.

krisxsong
10-07-2011, 04:04 AM
Americans don't understand Euroleague. This is why you can't assume anything with overseas play or stats. We're so used to a superstar league and I bet Williams stopped a couple times and threw up his hands for a foul call the refs had no interest in giving him.

This happens in the NBA too...........

krisxsong
10-07-2011, 04:10 AM
He's just an above average point guard. In todays league he's probably top 5 or 6, but that's not saying much. Players aren't what they used to be especially guards.

The Jazz were going down before Williams got traded. They started out like 24 and 9 or something and then lost every game after that. I think it was more to do with Sloan leaving.

If he's so good, like people claim, the Nets should make the playoffs next season. A top 3-4 PG should always make the playoffs no matter who is on there team. With the only exception being out west where you sometimes need 50 wins to make the playoffs.

That is some real bonafide BS right there. Just cause you're an elite PG doesn't mean you make the playoffs every year. It doesn't matter if you feed your teammates gold, if they can't hit open shots you aren't going to win.

I'm guessing that you're suggesting Steve Nash isn't an elite PG?

You have nothing to base your ludicrous claims on. Tell me why you think he's bad and don't say "If he's so good he would make the playoffs".

Deron Williams injures his wrist and has a bad FG% for the last few months of the season and now he's bad? This is a joke.

krisxsong
10-07-2011, 04:11 AM
Oh and what I find funny is that people cry about the game being soft and rigged, yet they still follow it.

thedfactor
10-07-2011, 04:14 AM
Can't wait to see Deron in a Mavericks jersey

Yanks All Day
10-07-2011, 05:48 AM
For all we know, he's not really going full out. He's staying in shape and playing basketball, but it doesn't mean he has to be going 100%. I'm not saying its right, but I really wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Dude's a top 3-4 PG in basketball, I'm not worried about how he performs in what are really glorified exhibition games for him.

PennyMy#1
10-07-2011, 07:11 AM
muahaha !

Sorry Nets-Fans ! But, i found Deron acting a bit too arrogant in the past. Cool he see's Euros can play ball, too.

Though Turkey is not (yet) really Europe btw ...

Jay
10-07-2011, 10:08 AM
It's called having a target on your back. Ty Lawson ain't doing anything special over there, either.

Chill_Will_24
10-07-2011, 03:15 PM
His back up Farmar is playing amazing against more talented players than Deron is seeing...

Squad13
10-07-2011, 03:24 PM
You guy are nuts if you think Deron WIlliams won't come back and tear the league up. :laugh:

Hugbees
10-07-2011, 03:51 PM
D-League D-Will

strahan92osi72
10-07-2011, 05:17 PM

Exactly! I couldn't help but laugh when people were saying the Knicks shoulda gotten Deron instead of Melo, or completely dismissing how mediocre Deron was after the trade. I think this will be the year many realize how overrated he is, never believed he was an elite player. He's very good, not great. He's certainly no Chris Paul or Derrick Rose.

strahan92osi72
10-07-2011, 05:18 PM
You guy are nuts if you think Deron WIlliams won't come back and tear the league up. :laugh:

Kinda like last year after the trade? Yeah he was really tearing things up averaging a whopping 14 ppg while shooting 35%. Wow, he's so elite!

koreancabbage
10-07-2011, 06:41 PM
nba players are soft. bring back the 70s and 80's and even early 90s basketball.

NYKalltheway
10-07-2011, 09:38 PM
nba players are soft

true.. I'm laughing my *** off with these "superstars" and "NBA scrubs" that'd dominate the European courts with their "athleticism"

juno10
10-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Exactly! I couldn't help but laugh when people were saying the Knicks shoulda gotten Deron instead of Melo, or completely dismissing how mediocre Deron was after the trade. I think this will be the year many realize how overrated he is, never believed he was an elite player. He's very good, not great. He's certainly no Chris Paul or Derrick Rose.

trying to convince yourself taking melo was the better choice

strahan92osi72
10-07-2011, 11:08 PM
trying to convince yourself taking melo was the better choice

I don't have to TRY to convince myself of anything, because I KNOW he WAS the better choice by far. Deron is overrated and I would take Melo any day of the week.

netsgiantsyanks
10-07-2011, 11:14 PM
it's funny because if deron ended up on the knicks this strahan guy would be all over him and say he just had a bad season, the guy was ****ing injured for christ's sake and still managed to give the nets the boost they needed

strahan92osi72
10-07-2011, 11:18 PM
it's funny because if deron ended up on the knicks this strahan guy would be all over him and say he just had a bad season, the guy was ****ing injured for christ's sake and still managed to give the nets the boost they needed

I've never been a huge fan of Williams, and never put him in Paul's class at all. He's good, maybe even very good, but not great. If the Knicks got Deron instead of Melo, make no mistake about it I would be po'd, especially if the Nets got Melo. I have always preferred Melo. What's funny is Net fans were drooling all over Melo before he came to the Knicks, so were many other fans. So, if anything you got it the other way around. Don't give me the he was hurt BS, it's just that he's not a great shooter period. OVERRATED!

netsgiantsyanks
10-07-2011, 11:22 PM
it's funny because it isn't BS, he was hurt

strahan92osi72
10-07-2011, 11:25 PM
it's funny because it isn't BS, he was hurt

He's overrated, just as Jerry Sloan how overrated he is. Ask his solid, but not spectacular career numbers. It's really amazing that people consider him elite considering he doesn't put up elite numbers.

shep33
10-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Kinda like last year after the trade? Yeah he was really tearing things up averaging a whopping 14 ppg while shooting 35%. Wow, he's so elite!

He also averaged 14 apg during that span, on a badly injured wrist. The Jazz only won 8 games after he left, and lets not forget he played in Sloan's system his whole career. Toughest position to figure out is the pg position after a trade.

shep33
10-08-2011, 12:55 PM
He's overrated, just as Jerry Sloan how overrated he is. Ask his solid, but not spectacular career numbers. It's really amazing that people consider him elite considering he doesn't put up elite numbers.

How are his numbers not impressive? Isn't he the only player in NBA history to average 25 ppg and 11apg in a playoff series? His numbers were superior to CP3 last year, so CP3 must suck. Stockton's career numbers were 13 ppg and 10.5 apg while playing with arguably the greatest true PF of all-time. Dwill's right now are 17 and 9. Don't get me wrong, Dwill isn't as good as Stockton, but saying his numbers are overrated and he's not elite doesn't make sense to me.

If we were to look at the last 2 years as a whole, Dwill has put up better numbers than CP3 and has been more durable.

netsgiantsyanks
10-08-2011, 01:40 PM
He also averaged 14 apg during that span, on a badly injured wrist. The Jazz only won 8 games after he left, and lets not forget he played in Sloan's system his whole career. Toughest position to figure out is the pg position after a trade.

no, thats bs, he's just over-rated :rolleyes:

Kashmir13579
10-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Its tough to play over there. in addition to the refs calling the game much differently, he also speaks english. I don't think Nets fans should be worried. He's only over there for the $$$ anyway.

llemon
10-08-2011, 02:07 PM
What's funny is Net fans were drooling all over Melo before he came to the Knicks,

Not all Net fans

Kashmir13579
10-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Not all Net fans

Not all Knicks fans were drooling over 'Melo. I would've taken Williams all day.

netsgiantsyanks
10-08-2011, 02:53 PM
a logical knicks fan?

:speechless:

Hellcrooner
10-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Lol, thats what happens when

1 Real TEAM DEFENSE ( as opossed to man to man defense) is ALLOWED
2 there are NO B.S star calls it doesnt matter who is kicking who , a foul is a foul.

Do you think is casuall Brandon Jennings was "crap" ( as in statistically compared to ncaa/nba standars ) and then went to average a ton of ppg in nba?

I can only wait to see how Rubio will do in Nba knowing the kind of game benefits him, specially if media can make up for him the "star" label so he cant be touched.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-08-2011, 05:44 PM
DERON IS A BEAST!!! Knicks fan speaking

llemon
10-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Not all Knicks fans were drooling over 'Melo. I would've taken Williams all day.

I believe that, and never stated anything contradictory to that.

Fnom11
10-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Why would anyone expect a NBA superstar to try hard in a league where he's getting paid a small FRACTION of what he gets in the NBA? The risk isn't worth the reward over seas.

KnicksorBust
10-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Out of shape Deron Williams had two bad games in the EuroLeague. The sky is not falling. He's still a stud. The question is can they get another one in Brooklyn to make that team a threat in the East.

xxplayerxx23
10-08-2011, 07:52 PM
D will would of fit in on the knicks better, But we got Melo and Billups. In the dwill trade they only got dwill. Melo and billups> Dwill. Dwill is an amazing ball player, Not worried here should come back and do really well. Agurly the best pg in the league

Chill_Will_24
10-08-2011, 10:02 PM
D will would of fit in on the knicks better, But we got Melo and Billups. In the dwill trade they only got dwill. Melo and billups> Dwill. Dwill is an amazing ball player, Not worried here should come back and do really well. Agurly the best pg in the league

Idk about the best pg cuz i think Paul is head and shoulders better than every other pg almost like Dwight is head and shoulders better than every C. However i agree that Billups was a steal for you guys. Everyone focuses on Melo but forgets that they also got a champion and veteran floor leader that can still go and hit clutch shots. Billups is really good

llemon
10-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Idk about the best pg cuz i think Paul is head and shoulders better than every other pg almost like Dwight is head and shoulders better than every C. However i agree that Billups was a steal for you guys. Everyone focuses on Melo but forgets that they also got a champion and veteran floor leader that can still go and hit clutch shots. Billups is really good

Billups is just about washed up.

Chill_Will_24
10-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Billups is just about washed up.

Dont underestimate what a veteran like him can do for a team like the Knicks. He is clutch, not afraid of the moment, and and has great basketball iq. He will be the one that will keep Melo and Amare's ball hogging to a minimum and will know when to slow the tempo down in games.

I once saw him call for the ball when Melo was about to do his "Me against 5" thing and when he got the ball he made a play that lead to a Shawne Williams 3. Billups is a leader and not afraid to call stars out on their bs

NYKalltheway
10-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Out of shape Deron Williams had two bad games in the EuroLeague. The sky is not falling. He's still a stud. The question is can they get another one in Brooklyn to make that team a threat in the East.

He wished to be playing in the EuroLeague ;)

llemon
10-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Dont underestimate what a veteran like him can do for a team like the Knicks. He is clutch, not afraid of the moment, and and has great basketball iq. He will be the one that will keep Melo and Amare's ball hogging to a minimum and will know when to slow the tempo down in games.

I once saw him call for the ball when Melo was about to do his "Me against 5" thing and when he got the ball he made a play that lead to a Shawne Williams 3. Billups is a leader and not afraid to call stars out on their bs

And I saw Wilt block a Kareem dunk attempt more than once.

The times, they be changing.

RevisIsland
10-08-2011, 10:57 PM
In theory this makes sense, his style doesn't really fit into euro ball, but he's had success in the olympics and you'd think he'd just be able to out talent people, so this is still surprising.

Chill_Will_24
10-08-2011, 11:06 PM
And I saw Wilt block a Kareem dunk attempt more than once.

The times, they be changing.

Agreed. Im not saying Billups is a top 5 PG or anything but his exp will prove invaluable to the Knicks

However its a moot point because instead of keeping Billups and going for a good C which would make them contenders imo the Knicks will think nothing but $$$ and chase CP3 which will make them contenders as well but wont be as complete as Billups+ a good C like Gasol

llemon
10-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Agreed. Im not saying Billups is a top 5 PG or anything but his exp will prove invaluable to the Knicks

However its a moot point because instead of keeping Billups and going for a good C which would make them contenders imo the Knicks will think nothing but $$$ and chase CP3 which will make them contenders as well but wont be as complete as Billups+ a good C like Gasol

Billups means $14 mil in capsapce in '12-'13.

Older, more frequently injured, more time to recover from those injuries

last stand
10-09-2011, 12:23 AM
if you people didn't know there is no 3 seconds violation so its pretty difficult to get into the lane. zones are impenetrable in europe because bigs can camp under the basket