PDA

View Full Version : David Stern is a MAN among BOYS

OGMarkWahlberg
10-05-2011, 07:22 PM
THIS MAN IS A GOD :worthy: .....

:laugh:

Just playing, anyways I was wondering if there is any possible way that Stern can get fired? The man is clearly a ****ing up the NBA right before our very own eyes :mad: ... any possible way the man can get like impeached ? He has had his run and this Stern era needs to end. Any Loo polls (i know thats not how you spell it) in this system where we can find a way to get this ***** fired?

Voodoo Alchemy
10-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Just playing, anyways I was wondering if there is any possible way that Stern can get fired? The man is clearly a ****ing up the NBA right before our very own eyes :mad: ... any possible way the man can get like impeached ? He has had his run and this Stern era needs to end. Any Loo polls (i know thats not how you spell it) in this system where we can find a way to get this ***** fired?

it's either you're too young to remember or just misinformed but stern saved the nba fyi.

Wade>You
10-05-2011, 07:40 PM
it's either you're too young to remember or just misinformed but stern saved the nba fyi.He rigged the lottery for the Knicks to draft Ewing. That didn't save the NBA. Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, and the 80s era saved the NBA. People came to see those guys play, not David Stern.

OGMarkWahlberg
10-05-2011, 07:43 PM
He rigged the lottery for the Knicks to draft Ewing. That didn't save the NBA. Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, and the 80s era saved the NBA. People came to see those guys play, not David Stern.

Stern has been rigging the drafts for years ...

llemon
10-05-2011, 07:45 PM
You mean politician

Wade>You
10-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Stern has been rigging the drafts for years ...The Heat drafted 5th in their inaugural season and have never won the draft lottery, so you don't have to tell me twice!

To answer your question, only the owners can have the commissioner removed. And since Stern has been behaving like their b.... during the lockout with his tail between his legs (a far cry from when he was judge, jury, and executioner prior to the lockout), Stern is not likely to be fired any time soon.

Voodoo Alchemy
10-05-2011, 07:52 PM

yeah, just like he rigged the trailblazers to pick oden instead of durant.

Stack_NJNets
10-05-2011, 08:06 PM
llemon, is he the worst comissioner you ever saw in the NBA?

OGMarkWahlberg
10-05-2011, 08:20 PM
yeah, just like he rigged the trailblazers to pick oden instead of durant.

Oden was easily the smart pick at the time ? :confused: Even the Spurs almost offered Tim Duncan in a deal for him

Nyc4You
10-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Oden was easily the smart pick at the time ? :confused: Even the Spurs almost offered Tim Duncan in a deal for him

And you guys wonder why the owners are fking idiots.:facepalm:

jiggin
10-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Stern represents the NBA's best interests and is representing the ownership group along with their consultants and lawyers.

If the players don't budge and he can't turn profit for these owners as a majority, he will be no more.

Stern is a pretty decent guy actually, if you have ever met him. The problem is, he is stuck between two very egotistical groups who are super rich and are use to getting just about everything and anything they want...both groups feel untouchable and invincible.

Its too bad. I personally believe its the owners team and the owners sport. If the players don't like it, walk away from the contracts and the CBA on the table and go do something else.

The owners will still come out alright in the end...they own other very profitable business (which is why they can afford to own an NBA team) and will be able to at least save face on the facilities and naming rights they own.

Screw the greedy players...they have been taking advantage of the past CBA for the last what 4-6 years. Grave-train is over...time to suck it up, save the NBA and hope for growth that leads to better profit and salary in the future.

But what do I know...just a PHD in Business.

lvlheaded
10-07-2011, 09:45 AM
If he was really rigging the draft, LeBron would have been a Knick in 03 instead of a Cav! :mad: #stillbitter

In all seriousness. Stern is not a good comish. He plays favorites all the time and he definitely does rig the draft.

Sixerlover
10-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Stern isn't ruining the NBA. The bitter sides in between him are. Stern is just a mouthpiece for the owners when he talks about the negotiations.

Jay
10-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Stern isn't ruining the NBA. The bitter sides in between him are. Stern is just a mouthpiece for the owners when he talks about the negotiations.

What he said.

He's the best commissioner in sports, by far. Longevity tells the full story here.

daleja424
10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Stern represents the NBA's best interests and is representing the ownership group along with their consultants and lawyers.

If the players don't budge and he can't turn profit for these owners as a majority, he will be no more.

Stern is a pretty decent guy actually, if you have ever met him. The problem is, he is stuck between two very egotistical groups who are super rich and are use to getting just about everything and anything they want...both groups feel untouchable and invincible.

Its too bad. I personally believe its the owners team and the owners sport. If the players don't like it, walk away from the contracts and the CBA on the table and go do something else.

The owners will still come out alright in the end...they own other very profitable business (which is why they can afford to own an NBA team) and will be able to at least save face on the facilities and naming rights they own.

Screw the greedy players...they have been taking advantage of the past CBA for the last what 4-6 years. Grave-train is over...time to suck it up, save the NBA and hope for growth that leads to better profit and salary in the future.

So you state the owners will be fine either way...and then conclude that the players are the greedy ones? The owners will work out their financials whether there is league or not...and you think the players are greedy? Seems to me that the owners locked out the league, costing thousands of people their jobs and millions of people a pasttime...

So if the owners are okay either way... why would they do that? Seems pretty damn selfish if you ask me...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-07-2011, 10:33 AM

lulz

harlequin018
10-07-2011, 10:36 AM

I respectfully disagree.

The NBA is a business and operates on the simple principles of supply and demand. The populace likes watching guys run around and dunk a ball, so much so that there are millions of people willing to drop cash on tickets, concessions, gear, etc etc. However, that service is entirely provided by the players themselves. What the owners do is allow this service to be rendered in a comfortable atmosphere and provide the groundwork for any financial transaction between fan and team to take place. There is an inherent difference in providing a service, and making that service more convenient. Clearly, if we were to envision a pie chart documenting what aspect of the experience fans go to an NBA game to enjoy, 95% would be the players playing the game (the 5% if for those of us who love hot dogs, a lot).

Now I'm not naive enough to say the players deserve 95% of the profits. The NBA is a cash machine and it would not be as effective or efficient if not for the amenities the owners provide. However, imagine the theoretical situation where the owners and players cannot agree to the extent that the players themselves form a league where they actually own the teams. The games would be just as competitive and over time (as players continued to invest into the infrastructure of the league) deliver the exact same experience as todays NBA. On the other hand, what would the owners do without players? Whats a 65 year old executive trying to dunk worth to you?

JonnyBrav000
10-07-2011, 10:41 AM

LOL You think you are so smart, you make me laugh...

First of all Mr. PHD, anyone who does their home work, studies and attends class can attain the same degree, there is no innate talent in being able to get this degree. But there is a hefty price tag, especially if you cannot pay out of pocket and take out loans. Anyway, if you claim to be as smart as you think you are, you would know that superstar players like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Melo, Dwight Howard, Durant, etc are some of the most underpaid professional athletes on the planet when you consider the value they bring to their franchise. Yes I'd say about 95% of NBA players are extremely overpaid, but what about these guys? Alex Rodriguez made 32 million this past season to be slightly above average, and plenty of NFL QB's who are not as important to their teams, make just as much and sometimes more. So what sort of system can be set up to give these guys a fair deal? In the last CBA the owners wanted a max salary for players, instead of setting up a system for a franchise player label, you reap what you sew because that allows average players to make big money, but it's not fair to the big name players and to the teams when crappy player destroys the roster, so superstars should get their due and average players should fall back because no way Dwight Howard should make anything less than 15 million per year once he is a free agent, and 15 million is a bargain for a guy who will carry you into the playoffs every year and attract tons of ticket and merchandising sales. So I understand someone like Joe Johnson should not be making the type of money he is, but either way that is the Atlanta Hawks owners fault for offering that money, a legit superstar has to and should get paid, the league is built on these type of players.

After Lebron, Wade and Bosh signed in Miami, the Heat franchise value skyrocketed, for a mere 14 million for each player, and we are talking about the Heat going up in value by more than 200 million dollars!!! And you know the real value here is between 2 players Wade and Lebron. So if anyone is getting screwed it isn't the owners, it's the top elite players in the league, so you should quit siding with the owners because they can't have it both ways, lowering all salaries but still not paying franchise players what they are worth. Either they continue the same system, or get rid of max salaries.

3RDASYSTEM
10-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Exactly DALEJA424 ...so much for that PHD,its what happens when you get caught up in your own 'title'

PHX2daDEATH
10-07-2011, 11:08 AM
he's a horrible commissioner, if it weren't for Larry, Magic and Jordan the league would probably be non-existent right now and Stern would be off doing something else, like retirement. Everyone of these owners and players owe a debt of gratitude toward those three. You can say what you want about Roger Goodell but atleast his league avoided LOSING GAMES. Stern on the other hand let this happen not once, but TWICE. And dont get me started on the Ref Scandals.. My guess is that, he retires after all of this **** is settled and the season ends.. and I really wish people would stop blaming the players, if somebody offered you a 40 million dollar contract for 5 years, you would take it no doubt. Blame the so called geniuses in the front offices offering these deals to guys like Darko, Channing Frye, Amir Johnson, Eddy Curry, etc etc....If the Lakers had a team of nobodies would people still go to the games to support Jerry Buss? I didnt ****ing think so..and I'm not letting the players off the hook either.. all of their money is guaranteed...and really there is no need for that.. NFL players do not get guaranteed contracts and they are more liable to get hurt or have their career ended by a broken neck or something

mightybosstone
10-07-2011, 11:23 AM
He rigged the lottery for the Knicks to draft Ewing. That didn't save the NBA. Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, and the 80s era saved the NBA. People came to see those guys play, not David Stern.

In all seriousness. Stern is not a good comish. He plays favorites all the time and he definitely does rig the draft.
Besides the "folded envelop" theory in the Ewing lottery, what else do you all have to go on? And if is rigging the lottery, then why have mid-small market teams like San Antonio (x2), Sacramento, Charlotte, Orlando (x3), Milwaukee, Toronto and Cleveland (x2) won the lottery? If it was rigged, then New York, Chicago, LA, Houston, etc. would win a lot more consistently. Despite being pretty terrible for almost a decade, New York still has not won the lottery since 85.

it's either you're too young to remember or just misinformed but stern saved the nba fyi.

What he said.
He's the best commissioner in sports, by far. Longevity tells the full story here.
I feel like he doesn't get nearly enough credit for his marketing of the league in 80s, and I do believe he had a huge hand in saving the NBA. There have always been stars in the league, but his ability to focus the league around the rivalries and the stars during that time made it what it has become today. And while there are certainly some questionable things about the NBA (mainly the whole Tim Donaghy officiating scandal), I would rather have another 20 years of Stern than a single year of an incompetent commissioner like Bud Selig.

Tony_Starks
10-07-2011, 01:05 PM

Sorry. That would be Magic and Bird sir......

Tony_Starks
10-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Besides the "folded envelop" theory in the Ewing lottery, what else do you all have to go on? And if is rigging the lottery, then why have mid-small market teams like San Antonio (x2), Sacramento, Charlotte, Orlando (x3), Milwaukee, Toronto and Cleveland (x2) won the lottery? If it was rigged, then New York, Chicago, LA, Houston, etc. would win a lot more consistently. Despite being pretty terrible for almost a decade, New York still has not won the lottery since 85.

I feel like he doesn't get nearly enough credit for his marketing of the league in 80s, and I do believe he had a huge hand in saving the NBA. There have always been stars in the league, but his ability to focus the league around the rivalries and the stars during that time made it what it has become today. And while there are certainly some questionable things about the NBA (mainly the whole Tim Donaghy officiating scandal), I would rather have another 20 years of Stern than a single year of an incompetent commissioner like Bud Selig.

Bird and Magic were already rivals from college. The Celtics were majority white, Lakers majority black. Bird was in blue collar Boston, and Magic was in flashy hollywood. AND they were both the best teams in the league and genuinely hated each other. Stern deserves some credit but given the circumstances I doubt it would've took a marketing genius to sell that rivalry....

rhymeratic
10-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Honestly... David Stern should run for POTUS.

mightybosstone
10-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Bird and Magic were already rivals from college. The Celtics were majority white, Lakers majority black. Bird was in blue collar Boston, and Magic was in flashy hollywood. AND they were both the best teams in the league and genuinely hated each other. Stern deserves some credit but given the circumstances I doubt it would've took a marketing genius to sell that rivalry....

But the Celtics and Lakers already had a rivalry. They've had a rivalry since the 60s when the league was nowhere near as popular. Under Stern, the focus on the league as a superstar driven sport had been extremely successful, they expanded from 23 to 30 teams and he has done a good job of marketing the league on a global scale.

I do think he mishandled the Supersonics, I still question the Donaghy allegations and if they miss this season, it will be seen as his greatest failure. BUT, I don't think the NBA would be where it is today without him. You need to only look at the MLB to see how to mishandle a professional sports league as commissioner....

Edit: Also, didn't Bird and Magic only play in one game in college against each other? Yeah, it was the 79 NCAA Championship, but I dunno that I consider one collegiate game to be a "rivalry." It's not like one guy played for Duke and one for UNC, or that they were even in the same conference together.

Kevj77
10-07-2011, 01:33 PM
it's either you're too young to remember or just misinformed but stern saved the nba fyi.Did he really or was he just lucky? He became commish in 1984 Bird and Magic were leading a huge rivalry that was already drawing interest. In 1985 four HOFers came into the NBA, MJ (GOAT), Barkley, the Dream and Stockton. Also if anyone remembers Cable television was taking off big-time and looking for programming around that time. Did he save the NBA or just ride the perfect storm?

RevisIsland
10-07-2011, 09:20 PM
The owners created their own problems, nobody forced them to give guys like Rashard Lewis and Elton Brand massive contracts.