PDA

View Full Version : How Much did Dirk own the league this past season

Jtatstarranch
10-05-2011, 06:28 PM
I'd say it was monumental.

Sactown
10-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Their team was a very well built team with great depth.. they had 4-5 players who could put up 20 on any given night.. I would not say it was all Dirk..

justinnum1
10-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Not more than what wade did in 06

Jtatstarranch
10-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Their team was a very well built team with great depth.. they had 4-5 players who could put up 20 on any given night.. I would not say it was all Dirk..

I agree, you have to admit he contributed a great deal though. I mean 27 and 9 in the 21 playoff games is nothing to brush off.. Not to mention his shooting %'s were 49, 46 and 94 freaking %.

Jtatstarranch
10-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Just acknowledging the truth a little, It would be nice if others did the same.

llemon
10-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks to Tyson Chandler, very much. Otherwise, same old Dirk.

Ezio
10-05-2011, 06:50 PM
If he stayed healthy throughout the whole season he would of been MVP.

Cal827
10-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't expect it to happen next year: Chandler probably won't be around anymore (as I can see a team like Sacremento or Toronto offering him a short (but high $$$) contract, which Dallas probably won't be able to match, even if they use the Amnesty on Haywood's big bad contract, which would expose some of his defensive flaws. Still very good, I think he should have got a few more votes for MVP. They lost to the Raptors at home without Dirk.... THE RAPTORS! :pity:

Bulls_fan90
10-05-2011, 07:10 PM

:cry:

llemon
10-05-2011, 07:12 PM
If he stayed healthy throughout the whole season he would of been MVP.

And we would have all cheered.

OGMarkWahlberg
10-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Not that much at all really .. just Dirk being Dirk, outstanding pure scorer .. they've basically had the same team for years its about time they finally one, their depth is insane

lowdown32
10-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Almost as good as Stephen Jackson did guarding dirk in 07

Jtatstarranch
10-05-2011, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't expect it to happen next year: Chandler probably won't be around anymore (as I can see a team like Sacremento or Toronto offering him a short (but high $$$) contract, which Dallas probably won't be able to match, even if they use the Amnesty on Haywood's big bad contract, which would expose some of his defensive flaws. Still very good, I think he should have got a few more votes for MVP. They lost to the Raptors at home without Dirk.... THE RAPTORS! :pity:

Dirk is good defensively, but you're right it takes two top notch post defenders like the Mavs had. Unless you have Bill Russell or Hakeem Olajuwon.

ne3xchamps
10-05-2011, 07:19 PM
cool thread bro.

Sadds The Gr8
10-05-2011, 07:20 PM

:rolleyes:

Jtatstarranch
10-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Not that much at all really .. just Dirk being Dirk, outstanding pure scorer .. they've basically had the same team for years its about time they finally one, their depth is insane

I think if it was the other way around and miami winning it people would still be going crazy. They'd be showing it on classics every minute and everything.
The Mavs didn't just beat some random pacer team or something. I like the down playing of it all...

Hawkeye15
10-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Dirk was Dirk for 85 games, and his last two series he raised his game.

I still find it weird that he is all of a sudden a much better player for winning a ring and having a strong 10-15 game run. Goes to show how much championships are overvalued when ranking individuals.

Top 5-6 player in the NBA. He wasn't as good as he was in his MVP year, but he played great as usual. There were better.

SteBO
10-05-2011, 07:25 PM
I think if it was the other way around and miami winning it people would still be going crazy. They'd be showing it on classics every minute and everything.
The Mavs didn't just beat some random pacer team or something. I like the down playing of it all...
Can't argue with this. Doesn't mean Dirk "owned" the league as you're putting it.

RZZZA
10-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Derrick Rose and those two guys from the Heat "owned" the league this past season. Dirk owned the post-season.

SteBO
10-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Derrick Rose and those two guys from the Heat "owned" the league this past season. Dirk owned the post-season.
This I can agree with to an extent.

chicago lulz
10-05-2011, 07:40 PM
what do you define as "owned the league"?
only person I'm aware of owning the league is some guy named David Stern, on more than one level.

OGMarkWahlberg
10-05-2011, 07:49 PM

I actually agree with you on that, but thats just the media that has nothing to do with your OP. Nobody is downplaying it whatsoever Dirk had a great post season run, I definitely would not say that he absolutely dominated tho ...

OGMarkWahlberg
10-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Too be honest I think Wade had a better Finals than Dirk ... :hide:

naps
10-05-2011, 08:34 PM

He clearly did.

Jtatstarranch
10-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Can't argue with this. Doesn't mean Dirk "owned" the league as you're putting it.

Then what would you call a playoff run that ends in a championship with averages of 27, 9, 2 with 49%, 46% and 94% with limited turnovers.

he beat the team that did alot of talking the previous summer.

Jtatstarranch
10-05-2011, 09:19 PM

wade couldn't even make a free throw. He also missed every clutch shot down the stretch of every game.

SteBO
10-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Then what would you call a playoff run that ends in a championship with averages of 27, 9, 2 with 49%, 46% and 94% with limited turnovers.

he beat the team that did alot of talking the previous summer.
Raising his play to another level in the playoffs. What was said the previous summer doesn't matter. Dallas was the better team this past year, that's why they're the champions. Doesn't mean you have to overrate Dirk to a ridiculous degree.

Jtatstarranch
10-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Raising his play to another level in the playoffs. What was said the previous summer doesn't matter. Dallas was the better team this past year, that's why they're the champions. Doesn't mean you have to overrate Dirk to a ridiculous degree.

I'm just stating the facts. Those stats aren't ratings by me.. .That's what he actually did.
Plus it's not like he came out of no where and we dont' know who he is. Well, maybe some of you aren't familiar with his game and his overall career. Even the TV announcers don't know much about him. They always call him a 7 foot jump shooter.. He's a top 10 scorer of ALL TIME, one of the most ambidixtrous players ever. One of the best Defensive rebounders ever. One of the best Winners EVER. And So soo much more.. You don't win over 700 games in your career by accident. You guys didn't grow up watching him and frankly alot of you are probably racist.

MickeyMgl
10-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Not that much. He played great in the playoffs, but "own the league"? All season? No. Just a good year.

heyman321
10-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Dirk did dominate the playoffs. He put the team on his back at times when they were down and had seemingly no way to come back. Game 4 in OKC, game 2 in Miami, those have got to be in the top 10 of all time playoff comebacks. Shows how good Dirk is with a decent center to help him out defensively and cover him. My god, I can't believe Dampier was Dallas' starting center for the past 5-6 years. ERICK DAMPIER LOL

Jtatstarranch
10-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Not that much. He played great in the playoffs, but "own the league"? All season? No. Just a good year.

Come on, I'm not talking about the first 20 games or something...
I'm talking about the REAL SEASON PLAYOFFS... But you wouldn't know about playoffs because you probaly watch the raptors every year.

You can combine the season and Playoffs and Dirk in his 90 games or so was better than anyone.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-05-2011, 10:01 PM
If you meant playoofs, he killed it.

His regular season didn't seem much difference from normally what we would see from him.

beasted86
10-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Dirk did dominate the playoffs. He put the team on his back at times when they were down and had seemingly no way to come back. Game 4 in OKC, game 2 in Miami, those have got to be in the top 10 of all time playoff comebacks. Shows how good Dirk is with a decent center to help him out defensively and cover him. My god, I can't believe Dampier was Dallas' starting center for the past 5-6 years. ERICK DAMPIER LOL

Dirk didn't put the Mavericks on his back against Miami. You're delusional if that's what you think happened in Game 2. As a matter of fact, Terry scored the 8 of the first 13 points in the run, then Dirk started to get his scoring.

Jtatstarranch
10-05-2011, 10:05 PM
If you meant playoofs, he killed it.

His regular season didn't seem much difference from normally what we would see from him.

Well, he was very clutch in the Regular season. I bet you didn't know that he hit 5 GAME WINNERS last season and then about 3 more in the Playoffs. How many did lebron hit? 0

He had a fine season and saved alot of energy for the Playoffs where he straight owned wade, james, bryant, durant and aldridge. Yeah, I'm naming names now.

Jtatstarranch
10-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Dirk didn't put the Mavericks on his back against Miami. You're delusional if that's what you think happened in Game 2. As a matter of fact, Terry scored the 8 of the first 13 points in the run, then Dirk started to get his scoring.

It was Dirk and Terry, Marion had nice defense in the stretch.

Look you just like like White People Dirk owned your team.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Well, he was very clutch in the Regular season. I bet you didn't know that he hit 5 GAME WINNERS last season and then about 3 more in the Playoffs. How many did lebron hit? 0

He had a fine season and saved alot of energy for the Playoffs where he straight owned wade, james, bryant, durant and aldridge. Yeah, I'm naming names now.

He's always been pretty great in the regular season. That wasn't much of a surprise. He didn't really own the season.

And yea, I know he owned the playoffs. I said it myself that he owned all those players.

Why are we even discussing this between the 2 of us?

ragee
10-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Almost as good as Stephen Jackson did guarding dirk in 07

S-Jax and two other guys. They also had a coach that knew everything about Dirk.

Anyway, as a Dirk fan, I have to admit that he is getting a little bit overrated by some after winning the championship. In his defense, the only reason this happened is because majority of the people have been underrating him for years. Calling him a choker and someone who can't be a number one option even when he has continually raised his game into another level every playoffs. So when his team finally won a championship, to some, it looked like Dirk has suddenly transformed into an ever better player. In reality, Dirk was just being Dirk. People just fail to see that in the previous years because his teammates fail to do their part.

Jtatstarranch
10-05-2011, 11:38 PM
No one's over-rating him here. He won a freaking MVP fair and square in his career.
He's finished in the top 5 of MVP voting like every year of his career. He has the best Playoff Numbers of any player playing in the NBA.
He's always been in the mix as a top 3-4 player in the NBA EVERY SEASON.

Sure he's been snubbed a few times when he should've received ALL NBA FIRST TEAM Honors. All in all though he still has I think 4 ALL NBA First Team awards and like 5 second team honors. Only Duncan and Kobe can claim more.

Dirk has been around. Some of you need to take a look. He's still in his prime and he's closing on 30,000 points and 10,000 rebounds.

RevisIsland
10-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Change the word "past" to "post" and I agree it was monumental.

whitemamba33
10-06-2011, 01:11 AM

Lol it matters in terms of bragging rights. If Dallas beat a humble Miami Heat squad, good for them. But instead, Dallas beat a cocky, loud mouthed Miami Heat team that bragged when they won and cried when they lost... and they did it convincingly.

You might not get much enjoyment out of that, but people in general love to see the loud mouths get shut up. To say it "doesn't matter" is underselling it quite a bit. In fact, I'd argue the opposite. I'd argue that it lit a fire in Dallas to shut them up, and they did.

whitemamba33
10-06-2011, 01:13 AM
No one's over-rating him here. He won a freaking MVP fair and square in his career.
He's finished in the top 5 of MVP voting like every year of his career. He has the best Playoff Numbers of any player playing in the NBA.

Sure he's been snubbed a few times when he should've received ALL NBA FIRST TEAM Honors. All in all though he still has I think 4 ALL NBA First Team awards and like 5 second team honors. Only Duncan and Kobe can claim more.

Dirk has been around. Some of you need to take a look. He's still in his prime and he's closing on 30,000 points and 10,000 rebounds.

MVP voting, and All NBA honors are extremely flawed.

I'd just stick with the actual stats if I were you. 30,000 points and 10,000 rebounds would be great numbers.

knightstemplar
10-06-2011, 01:30 AM
A lot

Meatmypet
10-06-2011, 02:34 AM

every time someone breathed on wade in that series, a whistle blew and it was an automatic 2 points lol

SportsFanatic10
10-06-2011, 03:33 AM
lol at least 2k12 doesn't overrate dirk.

JordansBulls
10-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Best player in the NBA last season.

drobe86
10-06-2011, 08:35 PM
He owned it so much that I would say he is in the top 10 players of All Time... What a run we made. What a player he is... when he retires we might as well just get rid of the team. There will NEVER be another player that represents what Dallas is than Dirk....

knightstemplar
10-06-2011, 08:49 PM

but but but but but but but he didnt lead the league in PER or winshares...

knightstemplar
10-06-2011, 08:53 PM

uh lol

llemon
10-06-2011, 09:06 PM
He owned it so much that I would say he is in the top 10 players of All Time... What a run we made. What a player he is... when he retires we might as well just get rid of the team. There will NEVER be another player that represents what Dallas is than Dirk....

Is that a joke?

OGMarkWahlberg
10-06-2011, 09:50 PM

Best play in the NBA Playoffs last season ... I would not say he was the best player in the regular season at all

Jtatstarranch
10-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Best play in the NBA Playoffs last season ... I would not say he was the best player in the regular season at all

He was the best though throughout the entire year. He saved that extra Nowtizki Playoff gear that only he has. WHile idiots like rose and james were playing for regular season awards, Dirk was conserving his game for the playoffs. Seemed to work wonders as Dirk destroyed your sorry team.

MSleeze
10-07-2011, 12:56 AM
No player "Saves it for the playoffs."

If you think otherwise you clearly have never played a sport in your life.

beasted86
10-07-2011, 01:45 AM
every time someone breathed on wade in that series, a whistle blew and it was an automatic 2 points lol

:cry:

JasonJohnHorn
10-07-2011, 05:51 AM
Can everybody get off this guy's nuts for a minute! You take Chandler away from that team and they get destroyed by LA and would have struggled to get out of the first round. Dirk is an amazing shooter, and great over-all player, but lets not pretended he owned the entire league all year round. James owned the league throughout the regular season. Rose owned it. Wade owned it. Kobe owned it. Dirk was great, but I think all the recent talk of Dirk being so great is a result of recent events and is more topical than insightful. Lets not forget this is the same guy who lead the team with the best record to a first round elimination a couple years back.

Dirk = awesome. But that doesn't mean he was owning the league all year. He held his own in the regular season and then, as a result of great coaching, great team play, depth and a center that can defend and rebound, the Mavs, as a team, owned everybody they played against in the post season.

Jtatstarranch
10-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Calling Dirk the best player in the NBA overall is not saying that much.

you guys act like Michael Jordan is still in the league, or you act like there are still great centers out there like Hakeem, David and Shaq...

Get real guys. Dirk is the best player overall last season.

Someone mentioned Chandler... He was good also. I'd put him around 10th overall last season.

Tony_Starks
10-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Next to Chandlers interior defense, Stevensons defense on the wing, Terry lighting it up off the bench, the Matrix roaming the court, JJ of the bench and a HOF pg orchestrating the whole show I would say yeah Dirk singlehandedly dominated the league last year........

beasted86
10-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Next to Chandlers interior defense, Stevensons defense on the wing, Terry lighting it up off the bench, the Matrix roaming the court, JJ of the bench and a HOF pg orchestrating the whole show I would say yeah Dirk singlehandedly dominated the league last year........

;)

OGMarkWahlberg
10-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Calling Dirk the best player in the NBA overall is not saying that much.

you guys act like Michael Jordan is still in the league, or you act like there are still great centers out there like Hakeem, David and Shaq...

Get real guys. Dirk is the best player overall last season.

Someone mentioned Chandler... He was good also. I'd put him around 10th overall last season.

you would put Tyson Chandler as the 10th best player in the NBA last season?

Da Knicks
10-07-2011, 02:46 PM

lol yeah pretty much this, Dirk has always being a good player and people always questioned his defense. Well guess what you add Tyson Chandler and suddenly Dirk does not look so bad on d. Its a team game and players need other players to do well, so in Dirks case he had being underrated for not having a complete team. Every star needs another star to succeed Mj-Pippen, Kobe-Shaq and Gasol, Duncan-Robinson, Wade-Shaq. The only one that didnt have a good side kick was the dream and he is still underrated on psd. Other stars will have a chance to show what they can do and then they will be overrated for winning a ring even if they win it when they are not as good as they where before the other star came over.

Hawkeye15
10-07-2011, 03:44 PM
again, it just amazes me that everyone thinks he is a better player today than he was 8 months ago. He just happened to finally get the right equation around him, with an aging and fighting Lakers team, an old *** Spurs team, and two up and coming, not ready teams out west. He then ran into a team in the finals that crumbled within, and didn't have near the depth to stay with the Mavs when one of their stars stunk the floor up.

Look, Dirk has been a top 5-7 player for 10 years. Probably a top 2-3 player a couple of times in that span. But he is still not better than James, Wade, or Dwight, and I think a couple others have a case as well. He is a top 25 player of all time, and probably was before the season started.

God some overvalue winning so badly sometimes. Does winning a chip and being the leader help your legacy? Yes. But its just a small portion of it, as is every other factor we use in evaluating players

Sactown
10-08-2011, 03:13 AM
again, it just amazes me that everyone thinks he is a better player today than he was 8 months ago. He just happened to finally get the right equation around him, with an aging and fighting Lakers team, an old *** Spurs team, and two up and coming, not ready teams out west. He then ran into a team in the finals that crumbled within, and didn't have near the depth to stay with the Mavs when one of their stars stunk the floor up.

Look, Dirk has been a top 5-7 player for 10 years. Probably a top 2-3 player a couple of times in that span. But he is still not better than James, Wade, or Dwight, and I think a couple others have a case as well. He is a top 25 player of all time, and probably was before the season started.

God some overvalue winning so badly sometimes. Does winning a chip and being the leader help your legacy? Yes. But its just a small portion of it, as is every other factor we use in evaluating players

This.. next thing you know people are going to be talking about how Big shot bob was robbed of an MVP award, but with that said Dallas finally put the pieces around Dirk that he needed.. it was a team effort, and they had like 4-5 guys who could put up 20 points on any given night.. well built team