PDA

View Full Version : Pujols Complains about Game 3 Start Time

cbreezy34
10-05-2011, 01:32 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/conversations/_/id/7060890/cardinals-waste-chances-game-3

"We can't do anything about it," said Pujols, who had four hits, including three doubles. "We've been talking all year long, there is nothing we can do about it. Maybe if we were the New York Yankees maybe we would have played an 8 [p.m.] game today. It is what it is. I just don't understand when we play a 4 [p.m.] game. The league knows we have tough shadows out there, but there's nothing you can do. They're making their money, they're paying their money. I guess they put the game time however they want it."

Dr.Philly
10-05-2011, 01:37 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/conversations/_/id/7060890/cardinals-waste-chances-game-3

1) Both teams had to hit in the shadows, not just his team

2) He went 4 for 5

Come on man! :pity:

CityofTreez
10-05-2011, 01:38 AM
The shadows were terrible in the game, but it hindered the game for the first 2-3 innings.

Garcia & Hamels really handled the game through the shadows, but Furcal made a bunch of great plays even in the shadows (Pence 1st at-bat).

Farsight
10-05-2011, 01:43 AM
I understand it was probably not the most ideal conditions to play a baseball game, but they both played through it, so i don't see it as an issue

More-Than-Most
10-05-2011, 01:58 AM
How many day games have they played this year while being at home? I don't care who the player is and I am a big fat Albert fan but why does everyone feel the need to complain after they lose? Both teams dealt with the same conditions and both pitchers were on. If they would have won would he still be upset about the conditions? .

YEDN90
10-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Sour Grapes Al?

dodgerdave
10-05-2011, 03:22 AM
I hate the quadruple-header format for the LDS this season. I hate flipping back and forth between TBS and TNT all night long. In years past they were tripleheaders with off days on travel days. Bring back the old format. Who cares if causes the postseason to end on Nov. 1 or 2! It's not really that taboo to play November baseball.

RTL
10-05-2011, 03:59 AM
Pujols didn't blame the loss on starting times. Good christ!

Yankee Clipper
10-05-2011, 04:42 AM
It works both ways for both teams. The Phillies had to deal with it as well, not just the Cardinals.

JobaRules26
10-05-2011, 06:54 AM
Did the start time make Jaime Garcia serve up a meat pitch to Ben Francisco? Sour grapes Albert.

smking619
10-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Hamels got ripped to shreds for doing this in 2009.

onlythisfar41
10-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Hamels got ripped to shreds for doing this in 2009.

Great sig haha, best show ever.

Havoc Wreaker
10-05-2011, 08:23 AM
The Cardinals have turned into a bunch of sissies this whole series. It's kind of funny :laugh2:.

Fred
10-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Pujols didn't blame the loss on starting times. Good christ!

really? looks like there are ACTUAL times in his quote???? someone call the wah-mbulance

From Albert

"We can't do anything about it," said Pujols, who had four hits, including three doubles. "We've been talking all year long, there is nothing we can do about it. Maybe if we were the New York Yankees maybe we would have played an 8 [p.m.] game today. It is what it is. I just don't understand when we play a 4 [p.m.] game. The league knows we have tough shadows out there, but there's nothing you can do. They're making their money, they're paying their money. I guess they put the game time however they want it."

btw, love this guy as a player, but this just smells....

GrumpyOldMan
10-05-2011, 08:49 AM
From what I read Albert didn't like the start time because of the shadows, but I didn't see where he said that it was the reason for the loss. Maybe I'm missing something.

RTL
10-05-2011, 08:58 AM
really? looks like there are ACTUAL times in his quote???? someone call the wah-mbulance

From Albert

btw, love this guy as a player, but this just smells....

Sorry Fred but you need to read it one more time. There's a huge difference between being frustrated about the start times and blaming the loss on the start times. Never once did he blame the loss on game time.

Havoc Wreaker
10-05-2011, 09:00 AM
From what I read Albert didn't like the start time because of the shadows, but I didn't see where he said that it was the reason for the loss. Maybe I'm missing something.
Why else would he even mention it, if it's not to blame the shadows/time?

RowBTrice
10-05-2011, 09:05 AM
what a crybaby *****

sixer04fan
10-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Pujols had an unbelievable game. The shadows obviously weren't a factor for him. If anything it seemed to give him an advantage by separating him from the rest of the pack. The man was a machine last night.

WoodandNails
10-05-2011, 09:30 AM
It's pretty obvious he's implying the start time had something to do with the outcome of the game.

WoodandNails
10-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Pujols had an unbelievable game. The shadows obviously weren't a factor for him. If anything it seemed to give him an advantage by separating him from the rest of the pack. The man was a machine last night.

I'm assuming he's talking about Victorino's single that Jay wasn't able to charge because of the sun, but I don't think Jay gets to that ball, even without the shadows. It certainly wouldn't have been a routine play, as Pujols seems to think.

Pinstripe pride
10-05-2011, 09:34 AM
why can't players just say we got beat after games?

sixer04fan
10-05-2011, 09:54 AM
why can't players just say we got beat after games?

Because obviously they would have won had the game started at 8. Obviously...

GrumpyOldMan
10-05-2011, 10:11 AM

I think he's just frustrated. He mentioned that he thinks another market (NewYork) gets preferential treatment over his, but I still dont think he's implying that Philadelphia had an advantage. He just seems upset with the way MLB scheduled things.

todu82
10-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Excuses excuses. The Phillies started the game at the same time, maybe instead of being upset about the start time Pujols could have played a better game.

RTL
10-05-2011, 10:14 AM
I think he's just frustrated. He mentioned that he thinks another market (NewYork) gets preferential treatment over his, but I still dont think he's implying that Philadelphia had an advantage. He just seems upset with the way MLB scheduled things.

Finally, someone is thinking straight this morning!

daddies3angels
10-05-2011, 10:38 AM
I understand where he coming from. All year teams play at nite games or early in afternoon so shadows not problem. Now its the biggest games of year in playoffs so lets change time of games where players not used playing and shadows huge part of game. I bet its frustrating

Jeffy25
10-05-2011, 10:39 AM
1) Both teams had to hit in the shadows, not just his team

2) He went 4 for 5

Come on man! :pity:

This.

Cards complain too often, and I'm a Cards fan.

Jeffy25
10-05-2011, 10:44 AM
How many day games have they played this year while being at home? I don't care who the player is and I am a big fat Albert fan but why does everyone feel the need to complain after they lose? Both teams dealt with the same conditions and both pitchers were on. If they would have won would he still be upset about the conditions? .

It's mid-afternoon games. Day games the shadows don't show up until around 3-4. They played on Labor day with a start time of 3 (notice the time of year) and the shadows all game were actually rather dangerous. Both the Brewers and Cardinals complained about it.

Moz the GM said there would be no more mid-afternoon start times at Busch.

But now a month later, with a start time an hour later, the shadows were only bad in the first 3 innings.

It didn't stop the big three run homer, or keep the Cards from coming back later in the game.

Both teams had to deal with the same situation, you can't blame a loss on shadows just like you can't blame Holliday's dropped fly ball on towels (which we ****ing had in our stands yesterday). Shut up and play, this is the thing that annoys me the most as a Cards fan. Don't ****ing complain or make excuses, just play and do your best.

I understand that you defend your team, and support them when they are up or down, but you don't blame a loss on the ****ing sun, especially when the other team dealt with it to.

Jeffy25
10-05-2011, 10:46 AM
btw, it looks like this is all he said

I don't have a really big problem with what he said.

RTL
10-05-2011, 10:48 AM
I understand that you defend your team, and support them when they are up or down, but you don't blame a loss on the ****ing sun, especially when the other team dealt with it to.

And no one did blame the loss on the sun.

Jeffy25
10-05-2011, 10:48 AM
I edited the thread to show more of what he said

Jeffy25
10-05-2011, 10:49 AM
And no one did blame the loss on the sun.

Yeah I realize that after actually reading the article. I usually read the article before I comment, but this time I just read the thread title and posted. Fixed that so others don't make the same mistake.

Jeffy25
10-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Excuses excuses. The Phillies started the game at the same time, maybe instead of being upset about the start time Pujols could have played a better game.

He was 4 for 5 with 3 doubles and played really strong defense.

VenezuelanMet
10-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Can't handle a little shadow and wants 30M a year?

GIANTS 4 LIFE
10-05-2011, 11:44 AM
His main complaint is that the Yankees got 5 scheduled prime time games and the cardinals and phillies have one in the first four games. Game one and four will be at 5pm locally and game 3 was at 4pm locally. The teams play 162 games and none are played at these times because of shadows and tough sun conditions. But once playoffs come around the yankees get preferential treatment and that can't be argued. This will never change but doesn't mean a player can't be frustrated by it. Not once did he say that's why they lost.

Twitchy
10-05-2011, 11:46 AM
He needs to find out the talent and ability that he has and pretty much keep his mouth shut and play the game.

Pujols should take his own advice (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-rasmuspujols090510).

Burkey3472
10-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Obviously he didn't say we lost because of the game time but I don't think he would have brought it up in a winning scenario.

Yankee Clipper
10-05-2011, 11:58 AM

He was 4 for 5 that game. I think he did just fine.

Fred
10-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Sorry Fred but you need to read it one more time. There's a huge difference between being frustrated about the start times and blaming the loss on the start times. Never once did he blame the loss on game time.

Frustrated? Sure...and I think this guy is a class act. But, if they had won this game, does he make the same comment? If so, then I would agree it is a NY bias thing (only)...IMO, he made the comment after the loss so someone other than a Cardinals fan will read this as sour grapes.

RTL
10-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Frustrated? Sure...and I think this guy is a class act. But, if they had won this game, does he make the same comment? If so, then I would agree it is a NY bias thing (only)...IMO, he made the comment after the loss so someone other than a Cardinals fan will read this as sour grapes.

Who knows what he would have said had they won the game. Fact remains he never blamed the loss on the start time. I'm positive Phillies players were feeling the same way Pujols was. Who wouldn't to play in primetime when conditions are better? I just think it's dumb of people to misconstrue what Pujols is saying.

Rush
10-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Taking everything out of context. Never once when I read it did I believe he implied the shadows on the loss. Whenever a game is played in the shadows, the announcers always bring up how difficult it is to see (they did in that game). Is that complaining? But when a losing player says something about it, he's labeled a whiner.

iam brett favre
10-05-2011, 03:20 PM
I hate how the games are on TBS, it takes off Seinfield at 7 :pity:

CityofTreez
10-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Obviously he didn't say we lost because of the game time but I don't think he would have brought it up in a winning scenario.

That's probably the only thing that bothers me about Pujols comment. If he won, I can only wonder if he would've said anything at all.

otatop
10-05-2011, 03:57 PM
I hate the quadruple-header format for the LDS this season. I hate flipping back and forth between TBS and TNT all night long. In years past they were tripleheaders with off days on travel days. Bring back the old format. Who cares if causes the postseason to end on Nov. 1 or 2! It's not really that taboo to play November baseball.

I really don't get why there are no travel days for this. It's almost like even the MLB honchos feel like they need to get out of the way of the NFL.

Rush
10-05-2011, 04:18 PM
They do have travel days. They have an off day in between games. The only series that didn't have an off day in between Games 2 and 3 was the Yankees/Tigers because of the rainout.

Pittz
10-05-2011, 05:21 PM

Maybe he was asked a question about it? Maybe he is legitimately frustrated by the situation?

Oh, so he is intentionally trying to look like a sore loser? That's logical :laugh2:

No, you guys are reading way too much into this. He didn't blame the loss on the shadows, he just made a comment about how he would prefer to not play in them. I imagine the sentiment is shared by Cardinals and Phillies players.

3mikee_
10-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Unlike him to complain like a little *****... stop it and just play.. it's not like one team get's the disadvantage only..

Rush
10-05-2011, 07:05 PM
God people, you guys are putting way too much into this. Never once did he blame the loss on the shadows. I'm sure there are other players that share the same view. So a guy is called a whiner and "little *****" because he stated his opinion. Ok, got it.

otatop
10-05-2011, 08:43 PM
They do have travel days. They have an off day in between games. The only series that didn't have an off day in between Games 2 and 3 was the Yankees/Tigers because of the rainout.

I was afraid of that, but the only games I remembered being back to back were NY and Detroit and I wasn't sure if that was a special circumstance or not.

Jeffy25
10-05-2011, 09:09 PM
It is awful listening to commentators/broadcasters that obviously didn't actually read what Pujols said.

otatop
10-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Why would they? His uniform isn't pinstriped.

GasMan
10-06-2011, 10:35 PM
It's ridiculous that the Yankees/Tigers have gotten so many of the prime-time games. How would you not feel like a second class citizen if you got a bunch of afternoon games in the middle of the week?

mtf
10-06-2011, 11:21 PM

You're not missing anything. Morons love to vilify people, especially when it isn't warranted.