PDA

View Full Version : NBA cancels remainder of pre-season; threatens regular season games are next

GodsSon
10-04-2011, 07:21 PM
NEW YORK -- The NBA has cancelled the remainder of the pre-season and will wipe out the first two weeks of the regular season if there is no labour agreement by Monday.

Commissioner David Stern and deputy commissioner Adam Silver made the announcement after owners and players met for about four hours Tuesday but came no closer to an agreement.

Stern says: "We were not able to make the progress that we hoped we could make and we were not able to continue the negotiations."

No further meetings are scheduled.

http://tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=377372

This is going down to the wire...

likemystylez
10-04-2011, 07:25 PM
http://tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=377372

This is going down to the wire...

um there arent any meetings scheduled... not sure how thats going down to the wire. Billy hunter is saying nothing probably for the next month or so

likemystylez
10-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Awesome news!!

???

GodsSon
10-04-2011, 07:27 PM
um there arent any meetings scheduled... not sure how thats going down to the wire. Billy hunter is saying nothing probably for the next month or so

It also says if no agreement is reached by Monday (highly unlikely)

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Not surprised. And likemystylez, I think that guy's a dupe.

OGMarkWahlberg
10-04-2011, 07:31 PM
:facepalm: ...

Cal827
10-04-2011, 07:34 PM
For some reason, I'm inclined to blame Tony Romo for this.

daleja424
10-04-2011, 07:36 PM
David Stern can suck it. If we miss time this season I am not going to purchase a single item with the NBA logo on it. Fans on strike.

69centers
10-04-2011, 07:36 PM
We're getting to the point where it's now going to cost the league some fans. If we pass Monday with no deal, and miss the start of the season, it could be devastating to some small market teams, even if we eventually start later in the year.

Evolution23
10-04-2011, 07:42 PM
David Stern is still a *****. He gets no respect from any one.

jkiddvc20
10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
For some reason, I'm inclined to blame Tony Romo for this.

:laugh:

SeoulBeatz
10-04-2011, 07:51 PM
David Stern should die. Greedy little *******. Doesn't realize that without the fans he is nothing and he already has 0 credibility as is.

****ing troll.

jkiddvc20
10-04-2011, 07:53 PM
David Stern should die. Greedy little *******. Doesn't realize that without the fans he is nothing and he already has 0 credibility as is.

****ing troll.

I ****ing hate him

The guy is nothing but a joke **** David Stern

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-04-2011, 07:57 PM
How will they have a agreement by Monday, if no further meetings have been scheduled?

daleja424
10-04-2011, 07:59 PM
How will they have a agreement by Monday, if no further meetings have been scheduled?

they won't...unless the players are bluffing...but I dont think they are

HouRealCoach
10-04-2011, 08:01 PM
David Stern can suck it. If we miss time this season I am not going to purchase a single item with the NBA logo on it. Fans on strike.

Have fun but Im getting NBA 2K12...

SeoulBeatz
10-04-2011, 08:02 PM

exactly. nothing will get done.

bunch of rich, greedy, *******s.

Hangtime
10-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I am not surprised by this news and as I have said before, don't expect a season before January at the very earliest if at all.

Voodoo Alchemy
10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
I am not surprised by this news and as I have said before, don't expect a season before January at the very earliest if at all.

i would rather not have a season at all then a shortened one. it's going to take a long time for fans to support the nba especially when people are losing jobs and towns are shutting down.

tredigs
10-04-2011, 08:30 PM
NBA will still find a way to charge me for League Pass.

Law25
10-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Well im done its no 2k12, learn a new trade and all gym for me. I figure i will be more productive that way. See what you have done Stern!!!!!!!!! I can no longer work and obsess over a game I love anymore. I bet when they made that movie UP the grumpy old man was designed after you. You pompous ***. You Madd T.V senior eddition looking goblin. I bet you were born on the sixth month, of the sixth day, at the sixth hour and was raised to destroy the league pretending to be the leagues savior and the new owners are nothing more than your horsemen. You goat mouth having lime shaped headed sour puss.Let me guess you were bad at sports and decided to rise into a position of power in a major sport and take your frustrations out on all the jocks becuase you found high school sweet heart swallowing a jocks load on prom night. You sloppy seconds having, ear-fro growing, "I would gladly pay you tuesday for a hamburger today" Wimpy looking jerk. I bet your penis has still yet to descend.

llemon
10-04-2011, 08:41 PM
NBA will still find a way to charge me for League Pass.

Thank you, forgot to cancel my NBA Broadband League Pass, which (in VERY SMALL PRINT) states your subscription will be automatically renewed unless you cancel it.

Making that phone call now.

Voodoo Alchemy
10-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Thank you, forgot to cancel my NBA Broadband League Pass, which (in VERY SMALL PRINT) states your subscription will be automatically renewed unless you cancel it.

who the hell pays when you can watch it for free online?

3mikee_
10-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Yea .. these stubborn old men won't budge until the threat of losing actual games come into play.. it was the same deal with the NFL except that they weren't ******** like the NBA owners are.. and they actually had a preseason.

This is not looking good...sigh..

The goods
10-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Ooooooo ish I hate this

Sandman
10-04-2011, 09:10 PM
I think this is just how negotiations go this day and age.

It was the same in the NFL.

We all sort of knew that nothing would even start to come together until training camp.

I'm actually curious to know how much money teams make off pre-season games.

Neither side will tip its hand until money is on the line. Otherwise you're simply giving the other side the upper hand.

MVP1
10-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Stern is the FEH

tredigs
10-04-2011, 09:26 PM

No doubt. I remember that fine print from the first year I ordered it. I'd have serious doubts that they'd pull that this year, but it's worth the cancel for sure.

Guaranteed high quality games that are all archived throughout the season in case there's any from that night (or any other) that you wanted to catch after hearing about a great performance (or whatever else).

I used to watch all my games for free online as well. It's terrible in comparison.

-----
To be honest I'm almost as disappointed about not being able to play in our annual fantasy basketball dynasty league as the season itself. Almost.