PDA

View Full Version : Waiver Notes - Avery/Weise/others

jetsfan89
10-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Avery to be placed on waivers

NYP_Brooksie Larry Brooks
BREAKING NEWS FROM STOCKHOLM: RANGERS WILL WAIVE SEAN AVERY, POST HAS LEARNED...

Dale Weise claimed by Vancouver

stevezipay Steve Zipay
Vancouver has claimed Dale Weise off waivers

Our old friend Blair Betts is on waivers

Canucks claim Dale Weiss from NY Rangers; Sean Avery and Blair Betts among those on waivers today.

And not a reputable source exactly but,

renhockey Renaud P Lavoie
Waivers: Bartulis, Oskars PHI Walker, Matt PHI Bickel, Stu NYR Bell, Brendan NYR Kostka, Michael FLA

If both Bell and Bickel are being waived then there HAS to be a trade coming.

nyanks79
10-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Yea waiving both Bickel and Bell make no sense. Staal is obviously not making the trip and you think if they were bringing in anothe vet like McCabethey would have done it already. Only 5 damn if this is true.

Garden Faithful
10-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Why did Tortarella even say it was a competition when one guy gets to play all four preseason games and the other plays one really sounds like a fair shake there...:facepalm:

Redfish
10-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Why did Tortarella even say it was a competition when one guy gets to play all four preseason games and the other plays one really sounds like a fair shake there...:facepalm:

I think the answer is the Rangers weighed the past two seasons of performance more than a brief training camp period. Did any of us need to see these players during training camp to discern what our views are of each player? I don't think so; we've seen enough of both players to know what we have with each. The competition is really for the younger kids wanting to step up; those invited on tryouts; and the rare occasion where a seasoned player, such as Brian Boyle last year, comes into camp with material improvements in his game. I am sure the first week of camp showed that both EC and Avery were the same players we all saw the past two seasons.

With Prust, Rupp, Fedetenko and Boyle, there is no need for Avery; frankly, there is no need for EC either --- I guess that is why it was for the 13th position. Retaining EC over Avery adds about $1mm to our cap though, and that could come in very handy.

fingerbang
10-04-2011, 01:57 PM
I think the answer is the Rangers weighed the past two seasons of performance more than a brief training camp period. Did any of us need to see these players during training camp to discern what our views are of each player? I don't think so; we've seen enough of both players to know what we have with each. The competition is really for the younger kids wanting to step up; those invited on tryouts; and the rare occasion where a seasoned player, such as Brian Boyle last year, comes into camp with material improvements in his game. I am sure the first week of camp showed that both EC and Avery were the same players we all saw the past two seasons.

With Prust, Rupp, Fedetenko and Boyle, there is no need for Avery; frankly, there is no need for EC either --- I guess that is why it was for the 13th position. Retaining EC over Avery adds about $1mm to our cap though, and that could come in very handy.

You do realize that any sort of injury makes the 13th forward a starter? Let me remind you that we have Marian Gaborik on this team lol. I don't see Rupp or Fedetenko playing every game either. Christensen is going to get quite a bit of playing time.

njnets
10-04-2011, 02:48 PM
you always need a 13th forward. guys get banged up during the season.

my concern right now is the defense. with staal and and sauer out early on and putting some guys on waivers, im interested to see who is brought in.

Garden Faithful
10-04-2011, 03:15 PM

So we have seen that Avery has had fewer and fewer minutes with each passing game and Christensen was basically invisible for 10 games at a time and continually got more ice time. Obviously I would prefer for Avery to be on the team and I am biased in that sense but can we all just agree this has nothing to do with play. It all has to do with Tortarella not liking Avery it's not a secret, it's well known. There really is not another reason aside from that and you can say he is more skilled but he is terribly inconsistent and honestly wasn't that much more productive than Avery. You can say had more points with 13 less games but he is only 50 minutes short of Avery for the season total of time on ice. Honestly if our philosophy is gritty, feisty, and hardworking then Avery should be the player not Christensen that's what makes sense to me.

Redfish
10-04-2011, 03:18 PM
You do realize that any sort of injury makes the 13th forward a starter? Let me remind you that we have Marian Gaborik on this team lol. I don't see Rupp or Fedetenko playing every game either. Christensen is going to get quite a bit of playing time.

Of course I do. There are many spare parts available for less than Avery's $1.9mm cap hit. EC is a better value proposition for the Rangers, than Avery. Newberry can and did perform just fine in the role of 13th forward as well. Fedetenko has never been asked to sit for a game since he joined the Rangers; only injuries have precluded him from playing, so I am not sure why you think he won't be suiting up every night. Rupp will be in the lineup each night, as well. If not, then we have EC for the occasional substitution. If Gaborik gets injured, I'd rather have Borque or Hagelin get called up and integrating/developed further into the club, than Avery.

I think it is a straightforward and clear decision on the part of Tortorella.

jetsfan89
10-04-2011, 03:32 PM
I think Bourque, Newberry, and Hagelin being down in AHL partly motivated this.

One thing I won't miss is the two offsides Avery gets per game.

nyanks79
10-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Torts coming out with some quotes. Clearly has no faith in Bell or Bickel. Said they are trying to upgrade there. Only have like 2 days haha

bsi
10-04-2011, 03:50 PM
I think Staal is gonna be out for a while and they have a trade in mind and need that cap space. I mean Staal isn't in contact hockey yet, so you can expect him to be a month atleast IMO. Either that or Torts has finally had enough of Avery on this long road trip, and doesn't want this circus going on when HBO gets 24/7 going.

rhymeratic
10-04-2011, 04:07 PM
I don't think anyone will miss Avery one bit on the ice. We gotta move forward and open up spots for better players. This team has the potential....

gabby10
10-04-2011, 05:06 PM
**** bill o reily, and **** avery haters

dashripdot
10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
I think Staal is gonna be out for a while and they have a trade in mind and need that cap space. I mean Staal isn't in contact hockey yet, so you can expect him to be a month atleast IMO. Either that or Torts has finally had enough of Avery on this long road trip, and doesn't want this circus going on when HBO gets 24/7 going.

Staal's not flying to Sweden, but I think he plays after that. For how long, is up to his symptoms. Seems like they have something cooking on a deal/signing of a defenseman. Just hope it's not McCabe. He's a dinosaur and seems to be asking for too much money. Maybe they bring Erixon back now and live with his growing pains. They could do a lot worse. Either that or they've got a trade in the works and the player's cap hit necessitated Avery's extra mil. although that's not why he's gone. It might be one of Toronto's defensemen; glad the Rangers can't afford Komisarek's cap number.

Mr.Wiskers
10-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Would have kept Weise and waived Christensen. We all know Torts hated Avery so in was inevitable.

saintant182
10-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Would have kept Weise and waived Christensen. We all know Torts hated Avery so in was inevitable.

considering the moves that are likely being looked at with regards to getting in D help. i understand the waivers and am fine with avery being waived, though i didnt particularly find the weise waiver to be a good move. he's able to play in the nhl at a decent level and could likely bring as much as chirst or avery. but hey... as has been said.. we have hagelina nd bourque who each had great camps and showed some good things

saintant182
10-04-2011, 08:31 PM
i wouldnt be too suprised to see a deal going down with toronto who have depth at D and a strogn need for top 6 talent.... and who are openly looking to deal... who do we give up though??? possibly to early to suggest cutting losses on wolski???

dashripdot
10-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Tortorella's using his head. He knows that for all of Christensen's inconsistency, he doesn't want to be caught short in the dreaded shootouts: Wolski, MZA and EC (although the latter is likely a healthy scratch on most nights) have been money in the skills competition. Avery and Wiese provided nothing there. Avery is one less thing for Tortorella to worry about. Wiese got his *** handed to him in that fight last week, and he won't score with any regularity in the NHL.

Dernelle
10-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Disagree friend, Terds got it wrong, Sean Avery will be missed

Garden Faithful
10-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Tortorella's using his head. He knows that for all of Christensen's inconsistency, he doesn't want to be caught short in the dreaded shootouts: Wolski, MZA and EC (although the latter is likely a healthy scratch on most nights) have been money in the skills competition. Avery and Wiese provided nothing there. Avery is one less thing for Tortorella to worry about. Wiese got his *** handed to him in that fight last week, and he won't score with any regularity in the NHL.

Come on, he didn't pick Christensen for the shootouts can we finally all just admit he didn't like Avery and he was never even given a shot this year. Even if you don't like Avery, which you are entitled not to, just admit he was never going to make the team because Tortarella does not like him plain and simple.

nyanks79
10-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Ive always been a big fan of Avery, and still am. And I think Torts not liking him had something to do with it, but its not the sole reason. Avery had zero points all preseason. Had an unsportsmanlike penalty. It was 2 guys fighting to be a healthy scratch. Its not really unreasonable for Torts to pick the guy he likes better.

I was surprised, and its not what I would have done. But its 2 guys that were pretty close and fighting for one of the last spots on the roster and also saved us a mil when we are short a Dman at the moment. Its not unreasonable to cut Avery.

dashripdot
10-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Come on, he didn't pick Christensen for the shootouts can we finally all just admit he didn't like Avery and he was never even given a shot this year. Even if you don't like Avery, which you are entitled not to, just admit he was never going to make the team because Tortarella does not like him plain and simple.

I did. I said it wasn't the only reason (in a prior post, above), but it is a good reason. As far as your conclusion, I guess Tortorella "liked" him more the past two seasons when he stayed on the team and got every chance to contribute. While chemistry with the coach plays a part in decisions about who is on a team (for instance, I think Fedotenko was a bad re-signing, but he's one of Tortorella's guys, so he got a new contract; however, at least Rusty plays on the PK, whereas Avery adds nothing to special teams or skill situations), it ultimately comes down to who is more useful to the team, and Avery isn't.

Christensen is a far more talented player than Avery. Avery has better speed, doesn't mind hitting (although he's no good at it -- he always takes the worst of checks whether he initiates or not), and works well along the boards. Christensen has far superior hands and vision, whether passing or shooting, but doesn't defend well. I'd rather take the scorer over the grinder -- this team has enough grinders, although neither of them play their respective games consistently.

I don't care much for Tortorella, either, but he didn't hide behind any excuses. He said Avery was done in by the team's forward depth, and he's right about that. Sure, he doesn't care for Avery's style, but Avery's act has been an albatross around the neck of this team since he returned from Dallas and is yet another reason not to keep him.

dashripdot
10-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Erixon's rejoining the team, Bickel and Bell (and Avery) cleared waivers, but it appears they haven't been able to make a deal for another defenseman. Erixon will surpsise some teams with his shot from the point. He'll also learn the system pretty quick. This is better than giving up assets for a guy they probably won't need in a month or so, anyway.

Rangers in 7
10-05-2011, 02:17 PM
dubi will play on the first line.....thoughts?

dashripdot
10-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Only because Wolski's not cutting it. It's subtraction by subtraction. It might help the first line, but it hurts the second. And Fedotenko on the second line? Oh, boy. On second thought, maybe it's subtraction by addition .... I hate math.

bsi
10-05-2011, 04:55 PM

I disagree with this because they would never have sent Weise down if Avery didn't have a chance at making this team IMO. I don't know if it's the Staal factor is that we're gonna be without him for at the VERY least a month, or that on this road trip Avery finally got on Tortorella's last nerve. I don't care who the player is, if they can't get along with the coach and vice versa, especially with a player that is on the fringe the future for him on that team isn't bright. I love Avery when he's playing his heart out and not causing a disruption, but really this was a contract year for him, he has to get along wth the coach, do whatever it is he says and be productive, especially on a team full of young players. Having a player and coach not getting along isn't good for team morale, and it sets a bad example for the young guys. I honestly think Avery, if he was on, was a better third line option, but when you add in his own inconsistancy and the fact he was at odds with the coach, I think everyone could see this coming, I think either the fact that they need Avery's cap space for another D, or he did something in the last leg of preseason to bother Torts. He's gonna have to go to the minors and hope for a trade because they aren't recalling him, no way no how.

Garden Faithful
10-05-2011, 05:39 PM
I did. I said it wasn't the only reason (in a prior post, above), but it is a good reason. As far as your conclusion, I guess Tortorella "liked" him more the past two seasons when he stayed on the team and got every chance to contribute. While chemistry with the coach plays a part in decisions about who is on a team (for instance, I think Fedotenko was a bad re-signing, but he's one of Tortorella's guys, so he got a new contract; however, at least Rusty plays on the PK, whereas Avery adds nothing to special teams or skill situations), it ultimately comes down to who is more useful to the team, and Avery isn't.

Christensen is a far more talented player than Avery. Avery has better speed, doesn't mind hitting (although he's no good at it -- he always takes the worst of checks whether he initiates or not), and works well along the boards. Christensen has far superior hands and vision, whether passing or shooting, but doesn't defend well. I'd rather take the scorer over the grinder -- this team has enough grinders, although neither of them play their respective games consistently.

I don't care much for Tortorella, either, but he didn't hide behind any excuses. He said Avery was done in by the team's forward depth, and he's right about that. Sure, he doesn't care for Avery's style, but Avery's act has been an albatross around the neck of this team since he returned from Dallas and is yet another reason not to keep him.

He was absolutely not given every chance he was given less ice time than anyone on the entire team last season by far. The only players with less TOI were AHLers or the Boogey man that's it. It's fine if Tortarella didn't want him on the team but don't act like he got such a fair shake. Plus look at the games played in preseason and how many each played, between Christensen and Avery who were supposedly in competition with one another, and tell me why Tortarella was even pretending. I wouldn't have a problem with it as much if he said that Avery was not going ot be on the team, I wouldn't have liked it but at least it would have been the truth.

dashripdot
10-06-2011, 04:53 AM
You do what you can with what you get. That was his "every chance" and his "fair shake" but Avery did nothing with it. If he would have produced something in limited minutes it would have forced Tortorella to play him more, since nobody else was creating much for the Rangers during the past two seasons (except for Gaborik 2 years ago). Players who have that beef with a coach or organization go somewhere else and prove themselves.

If Avery has any value, why doesn't any NHL team want him at half price?

dashripdot
10-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Rangers picked up Woywitka, waived by MTL. Reputation as a no-offense defenseman, ideally a 7th, so this must make Eminger feel good and Paul Mara, with whom they were supposedly talking about a deal, pretty bad.

Garden Faithful
10-06-2011, 02:28 PM
You do what you can with what you get. That was his "every chance" and his "fair shake" but Avery did nothing with it. If he would have produced something in limited minutes it would have forced Tortorella to play him more, since nobody else was creating much for the Rangers during the past two seasons (except for Gaborik 2 years ago). Players who have that beef with a coach or organization go somewhere else and prove themselves.

If Avery has any value, why doesn't any NHL team want him at half price?

Because there are too many people who think he only causes problems it's not because of his play. And no one is producing with only 10 minutes of playing time a night I'm sorry it's just unrealistic.

dashripdot
10-06-2011, 03:04 PM
And since there are only 29 other guys whose opinions matter, he's gonna be playing in the AHL for the Whale.

Garden Faithful
10-06-2011, 04:43 PM
And since there are only 29 other guys whose opinions matter, he's gonna be playing in the AHL for the Whale.

yes we established that a post ago thanks for the echo

bsi
10-06-2011, 04:57 PM

You only have to look at his time in Detroit, L.A and Dallas to realize that this isn't in any way all Tortorella's fault, at some point Avery has to take some responsibility for how his career has gone. 30 NHL Gm's can't all be wrong and Avery right. Hockey is a competitive sport, and if any of those teams from top to bottom thought adding Avery would make them better they would have done it and believe me there's teams that really need an upgrade to their rosters. But the fact is, he's not likely going to make teams better, in fact it could go the opposite way as it did in Dallas, he's just not worth the risk to the other GM's. I wish him well, though he needs no well wishes, he's loaded and has a second career, he'll be fine that's for sure, and the Rangers will be fine without him too.