PDA

View Full Version : Letter to players raises fair questions

beasted86
10-04-2011, 10:25 AM
How does an industry increase its revenue, in one of the country's worst economic periods in 80 years, and suggest it is failing? Why would multiple businessmen, smart enough to make themselves into millionaires and billionaires, fight for the chance to join that industry by buying a franchise?

And how would the top dog of that industry, commissioner Stern, not only still have his job but be in charge of negotiating the next agreement?

And why would squeezing the players, who are not the ones mishandling all that growth, assure that those who are won't find another way to screw up, if indeed that is actually happening?

I don't know the exact details of the NBA's financial picture. Neither does the players' union. By now you've heard the figure "$300 million in losses," which has been repeated so often it is taken as fact. That's how much Stern says the league's teams collectively fell short last season. Their financial records on basketball-related income produced that figure, we're told. The players' union had enough confidence in it that it offered to compensate the owners for it in the next labor deal, as long as everything else stayed equal. It was a good-faith gesture. The owners mocked it.

I'm not sure why the union didn't realize right then that the owners were intent on dictating a deal -- not negotiating one -- but it didn't.

The one thing that stood out in all those conversations is that no one ever talked about what the owners "need" to make the league viable. They talked only about what they "want."

That, to me, is the essence of what the agents are saying to their clients: these negotiations aren't about the league's future. Only yours.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7055592/agents-letter-raises-fair-questions

I don't know how this is all going to end, but it does seem like the owners are pushing for more than they "need" to be profitable. With the way things look they will eventually reach a deal, then 5-6 years later the owners will opt out again and say they are still losing money.

likemystylez
10-04-2011, 10:28 AM
^^^ as part of whatever deal is made- I say the union should demand copies of each teams financial records after each season in the new contract.

likemystylez
10-04-2011, 10:29 AM
I think it would go a long way to telling what exactly the players should be responsible for covering and what exactly happened because of bad decisions by management... LOL oh yeah and if the reported losses are accurate at all.

daleja424
10-04-2011, 10:29 AM
one of the many reasons why I cant imagine how anyone informed on these "negociations" could possibly take ownership's side on this...

beasted86
10-04-2011, 10:34 AM
^^^ as part of whatever deal is made- I say the union should demand copies of each teams financial records after each season in the new contract.

The number one thing accurate accounting is reliant on is ethics. It's very easy to cook the books to make the balance sheet look like the teams are losing money each year either by screwing with the accounts payable or something else. It's the very reason NBA teams are allowed to be sold for more than they are supposed to be worth.

kntresistheheat
10-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Maybe with this story out in public, it will push the owners to make a deal asap! If not, I think the union can really take this to court and have a case? We would lose the season of course but at least the players would have a better chance in the next bargaining agreement and stern would retire or get fired!

likemystylez
10-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Maybe with this story out in public, it will push the owners to make a deal asap! If not, I think the union can really take this to court and have a case? We would lose the season of course but at least the players would have a better chance in the next bargaining agreement and stern would retire or get fired!

I dont like that outcome...I dont really care who wins as long as we have a season.

likemystylez
10-04-2011, 11:02 AM
all that crap would kill the marketability of the nba... and shouldnt be considered a serious option

Sly Guy
10-04-2011, 01:25 PM

if they aren't already getting those figured and subjecting them to their own review then they're crazy. If the players' salary currently accounts for more than 50% of league revenue, as a member of the player's association, I'd want to have my own set of eyes looking at all the documents.

likemystylez
10-04-2011, 02:13 PM
if they aren't already getting those figured and subjecting them to their own review then they're crazy. If the players' salary currently accounts for more than 50% of league revenue, as a member of the player's association, I'd want to have my own set of eyes looking at all the documents.

not if you were an NBA player

likemystylez
10-04-2011, 02:14 PM
^^ except maybe jeremy lin... harvard graduate

Sly Guy
10-04-2011, 02:37 PM
not if you were an NBA player

still it'd be lunacy if the PA didn't subject those books to review on an annual basis, especially in lieu of these CBA negotiations. How can you come to a bargaining position if you can't trust the information the other side is giving you?