PDA

View Full Version : Lakers All Time Re-draft Quarter Finals: 3. Mulholland vs. 6. South Central // VOTE!!

Avenged
10-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Over the last month, PSD posters have been participating in a Lakers All Time Redraft. In this game, users act as the GM of a team and are given a pick in the draft randomly. Any player who played at least one minute in a Lakers uniform was eligible and the player should be viewed in his prime by the three years given by the team, not only by his time on the Lakers. We then voted on which eight teams should make the playoffs, and now it's playoff voting time. Please read the writeups prior to voting and vote for who you think has the best team.

Mulholland Drive has Home Court Advantage.

Mulholland depth chart:

PG: Nick Van Exel (99-02) / Donnie Freeman (68-71)
SG: Charlie Scott (70-73) / Isaiah Rider (94-97)
SF: James Worthy (85-88) / Rick Fox (95-98)
PF: Pau Gasol (08-11) / Zelmo Beaty (68-72) / Mark Madsen (01-04)
C: Elmore Smith (73-76) / Sam Bowie (89-92) / Chris Mihm (03-06)

Mulholland Drive Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19096270&postcount=8)

1. Wilt Chamberlain would be on the bench. First, he would have to man up on Elmore Smith who was a 7'0 250 pound C that loved scoring in the post. Wilt didn't face too many guys that was only one inch shorter, twenty pounds lighter and very good at putting the ball in. Second, Fisher and Goodrich might be the worst defensive backcourt in this game in terms of stopping penetration. Fisher is great when he can body up on bigger PGs, but he's awful when it comes to faster PGs. Nick THE QUICK would be driving into the lane all game. It would result in easy buckets for Elmore and Pau and would also cause Wilt and Happy to foul. Third, Worthy's slashing ability would also create foul issues in the post. While a good defender, Butler isn't good against guys of James' strength and quickness....very few in the history of the NBA are. Penetration is the number one way to beat a defense and draw fouls. MD would be penetrating from everywhere putting Wilt in serious jeopardy.

2. This is partially the same as the first point. The Moderators can't stop MD's offense. Nick was great at penetrating and making plays. With Fisher on him, that's what he'll be doing. I doubt he'd hit his 17 PPG average, but I also think he'd go well above his 8 APG. He would wreak havoc on the SC frontcourt by getting open looks for everyone. What's compounds the issues is that my other four starters combine for 14 APG. The ball would be moving and it would be too hard to control. The biggest advantage on the offensive end is Pau vs Happy. While Happy was a great player, 6'7 vs 7'0 doesn't work, especially given Pau's incredible skillset. He could keep Happy out of the post by shooting over him, or get him on the block and use a plethora of moves to get space besides the five inches he already has.

3. Bench play is clearly in MD's favor. SC's five backups averaged 44 PPG and 22 RPG. On the other hand, MD's five backups averaged 94 PPG and 34 RPG. My backup bigs are also 6'9. 6'9, 7'1 and 7'0. I have quality depth inside that's big and capable of putting a guy just as big as Wilt on the floor all game. While Wilt was dominant, he never played against a team this big.

This comes down to three things, the size to combat Wilt as much as possible, penetration to get Wilt in foul trouble and one bench being far superior in depth AND size.

Key Matchup:
Nick Van Exel vs Derek Fisher

Nick will penetrate all game long and create shots. On the other hand, Fisher is a great Triangle PG and not so great at running an offense. The lack of stopping penetration and lack of playmaking for SC will be the difference regardless of Wilt being on the floor....or more likely towards the end of the game, not.

vs.

South Central depth chart:

PG- Derek Fisher (2004-07) | Brian Shaw (1990-93)
SG- Gail Goodrich (1971-74) | Jon Barry (2001-04)
SF- Caron Butler (2006-09) | Trevor Ariza (2007-2010) | Bill Bridges (1966-69)
PF- Happy Hairston (1971-74) | Kurt Rambis (1986-89)
C- Wilt Chamberlain (1961-64) | John Salley (1987-90) | Ronny Turiaf (2006-09)

South Central Clubhouse (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19095906&postcount=5)

Wilt Chamberlain has put up one of the most dominant individual seasons in the history of the league. From 1961-64, he averaged an incredible 44ppg with 24.1 rebounds. He is a 4 time MVP and a 2 time NBA Champion. He is also the only player in league history to score 100 points in a single game. The guy was just unstoppable offensively with his fadeaway jump shot, one hand finger roll, and powerful dunks in the low post. Heíll be matching up with Elmore Smith who was a gifted shot blocker but lacks an inch on Wilt, and was about 25 pounds lighter. Unfortunately, during Wiltís time, defensive statistics had not been recorded yet. We do know that Wilt had a PER of 31.8 twice, and 31.6 through 1961-64. The guy was just an incredibly efficient player. Not only that, but he was an extremely talented rebounder. The lowest rpg he averaged was 18 coming later on in his career. We know Elmore Smith was a solid shot blocker and rebounder, but he doesnít hold a candle to Wiltís dominance. Elmore Smith was a player whoís efficiency hung around the league avg, and with players like Wilt, Salley, and Turiaf, his work will definitely be cut out for him.

We all know how skilled Pau Gasol is, but we also know how he fairs with physical defenders. Kurt Rambis, Salley, and even Turiaf were/are all physical defenders who donít back down. Kurt Rambis was a hustle player who wasnít afraid to do the dirty work and gave it his all night in and night out. John Salley is among the Pistons' all-time leaders in blocked shots so he can also get up there and try to slow down Pau Gasol.
As far as the SF position goes, James Worthy was a handful who showed up when it matters most. Fortunately, I have Caron Butler and Trevor Ariza, 2 solid, tough defenders to get in his face. I wonít need Ariza to do much but defend Worthy since Caron is also a handful offensively.

I possess a team that has veteran leadership at a position that controls the tempo and sets the offense: Derek Fisher and Brian Shaw. These are 2 players with high IQ, who were solid defenders when they were younger. Not to mention you could always count on them to give you a stop, pass, or a shot when you needed one the most. When the team seems unbalanced, Fisher is the perfect player to keep everyone in check. Not only that, but itís well known that Fisher is one of the toughest players in the league who doesnít back down, and is also an excellent flopper which benefits me for turnovers on the opposing team.

At SG, I have Gail Goodrich who was a really talented scorer, and when put at PG, was a solid passer. This 5x all-star along with Wilt would be really hard to stop offensively considering how talented they were at that end. With the Lakers, Goodrich guided the 1971-72 team to a 69-13 record and the NBA title as well as an NBA record 33 consecutive wins while playing with fellow Hall of Famers Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain. Goodrich led the Lakers in scoring in 1971-72, 1972-73, 1973-74, and 1974-75 as well. People might want to say that Goodrich and Wilt will take up most of my possessions, but you have to take into account that these 2 players were teammates who lead the Lakers to a fantastic record and a championship so the chemistry is definitely there.

All in all, I feel I have the perfect pieces around Wilt Chamberlain. Gail Goodrich was a player who played alongside Wilt and won a championship together. Backing Wilt up, I have Salley who is among the Pistons' all-time leaders in blocked shots, and Ronny Turiaf who has the heart of a lion and never backs down from anyone. I also have 2 unselfish PGís who sacrifice for the team and who simply know how to win. At the wings, Butler and Ariza are 2 tough, athletic players defensively. With Butler, you can count on him to give you 20ppg with an excellent FT% of 85. We all know how much of an impact Ariza had during the Lakers title run and the key steals + shots he had in the postseason. And lets also not forget I also have Jon Barry on my team who will be used greatly at taking open shots. During 2001-04, he has a TS% of 64, 59, and 53! Along with a 42% 3 point percentage. I have the most potent offensive C at his peak, surrounded by athletic wings, floor spreading shooters and a work-horse PF.

Chacarron
10-03-2011, 01:18 PM
I like Mulholland in this matchup. Wilt and Goodrich simply cannot carry their teams offensive load on their own. The game's pace will be much slower forcing South Central dynamic duo to attempt less shots an score much less. Mulholland has the better players and in my opinion would have great chemistry.

lakers4sho
10-04-2011, 07:44 PM
This is a very even matchup IMO. Could go either way, really.

This series has offense written all over it.

NVE + Big Game James + Pau on a fastbreak = :drool:

SC has better chances on a slower paced game, with Wilt anchoring the defense and rebounding. But a P&R game between Van Exel and Gasol can be quite successful too. Plus Gasol is going up against a 6'7" 225 guy. Call Pau soft but it's not like Hairston was a Chuck Hayes or a Big Baby Davis.

No big name stands out from the bench of both teams, but they are filled with really useful utility players that excel with what they do. Neither team has a particular striking advantage in that department. Zelmo Beaty was a legit all-star, and bad guy Rider can score at any time, so if you really want to give an advantage to someone, still Mulholland.

In the end I think the luxury of having Pau at the PF spot is what seals this deal for Mulholland. Even if Wilt gets all his points, the rest of the lineup points towards Mulholland's advantage. I know LR brought up NVE vs. Fisher which is definitely towards their favor, but also Big Game James, a prolific offensive machine [ 117 ORTG ] will be going up against a smaller, slower Caron Butler, who has a terrible 110 DTRG. Not good for SC.

So my vote goes to Mulholland, for now.