PDA

View Full Version : Wade taking page out of Jordan's playbook...

Knick4Knack
10-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Airing It Out With Wiz Owner

BY MITCH LAWRENCE

Thursday, October 29, 1998

You don't want to be a Washington player if Michael Jordan plays against the Wizards this season. During the mass owner-player meeting yesterday, Jordan engaged in a heated exchange with Wizards owner Abe Pollin.
Jordan's showdown with Pollin and fellow Bull Steve Kerr's verbal battle with David Stern were the highlights of the 11/2-hour meeting, according to several players.
According to players, Pollin said about his fellow owners, "You just have to trust us."
Jordan fired back, saying, "You've got to trust our negotiators." Jordan also blasted owners for not bargaining in good faith in the offseason and said to Pollin, "If you can't make a profit, you should sell your team."
Asked early today about the confrontation, Jordan replied, "I'm not trying to disrespect Abe, and I wouldn't expect him to disrepect us as players, but if they're gonna make a hard stand, we have to make a hard stand. And quite naturally, you're gonna have some angry positioning, but you have to set that aside."
Kerr, meanwhile, drew Stern's ire after he called aspects of the owners' proposal "an insult." Losing his cool, Stern responded by saying that the players' demand to have 63% of income go to salaries was also "an insult."

link: http://articles.nydailynews.com/1998-10-29/sports/18090869_1_abe-pollin-owners-wizards

Perfectly fine with what Wade did. Sometimes, you must demand respect. Keep in mind, Stern started all of this with his talk of "burying dead bodies" at the allstar game.

Jordan and KERR stood up for themselves then, Wade now.

Yes, the NBPA lost on some points of negotiation (capped salaries, rookie scale), but wound up with 57% of BRI, which was far more than the 48% split of the previous deal.

Wade>You
10-02-2011, 06:18 AM
Good find, too bad no one here really likes Wade.

Jordan makes a good point: If you can't make a profit, you should sell your team.

LakersIn5
10-02-2011, 06:42 AM
"If you can't make a profit, you should sell your team"

this

JordansBulls
10-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Nice find. That is the first year the Bullets changed to Wizards as well.

Knick4Knack
10-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Jordan makes a good point: If you can't make a profit, you should sell your team.

For me, Wade is an enemy player, but he is still special. Explosive with a killer instinct. Gotta respect that, especially because of his championship run.

jiggin
10-03-2011, 09:11 AM
I love this quote:

Kerr, meanwhile, drew Stern's ire after he called aspects of the owners' proposal "an insult." Losing his cool, Stern responded by saying that the players' demand to have 63% of income go to salaries was also "an insult."

oops...watch what you say and ask for...63% of the owners income should go to the players and players only. Owners still have to pay day to day employees, leases, ect... and the players want way over 50% of the income....LOL

greed, especially from people who don't own **** is hilarious.

ink
10-03-2011, 09:19 AM

Huh?

naps
10-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Yea, I am loving it. The most dynamic player in the league is setting an example for other superstars. He doesn't give a ****, he doesn't even care about any consequences on and off the court because he's an honest guy. I bet no other superstar doesn't have the guts to have a heated argument with Stern. The poster who said "no one here really likes Wade" is right. Wade is the most underrated superstar here hands down.

heyman321
10-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Pretty much a bad example you found, and ironic considering how Jordan's Bobcats are losing a ton of money. Is he going to sell them anytime soon? Not likely.

likemystylez
10-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Yea, I am loving it. The most dynamic player in the league is setting an example for other superstars. He doesn't give a ****, he doesn't even care about any consequences on and off the court because he's an honest guy. I bet no other superstar doesn't have the guts to have a heated argument with Stern. The poster who said "no one here really likes Wade" is right. Wade is the most underrated superstar here hands down.

well- its all good when it happens and its good to see someone stand up for themselfs. Jordans outburst in 98 was easy because he was on his way out the door anyway.
I'm not sure if your aware of it but we dont want to repeat the 98 lock out, not when the league has this much momentum. D wade is a near max player and he can afford to waste a year of his carreer... but there are over 200 players in the league who cant afford to lose this season. The goal should be to save the season.... not to get the glory of telling off the commisioner.

naps
10-03-2011, 10:03 AM
well- its all good when it happens and its good to see someone stand up for themselfs. Jordans outburst in 98 was easy because he was on his way out the door anyway.
I'm not sure if your aware of it but we dont want to repeat the 98 lock out, not when the league has this much momentum. D wade is a near max player and he can afford to waste a year of his carreer... but there are over 200 players in the league who cant afford to lose this season. The goal should be to save the season.... not to get the glory of telling off the commisioner.

:confused:

What are you talking about here again? Wade can afford to lose a season when he's in his prime? WOW! No one wants to miss a season because players don't get paid and next 4 years are more important for Wade than anybody else in the league. He's on a team that has the best chance to win it all. Why would he want to lose a season? And he's not following anyone. He's not a guy who shows off. He's probably the only superstar in the league today who can speak out whatever he feels regardless of what might happened in his individual future (Basically he took himself out of Stern's good-book). Your post is not clear.

justinnum1
10-03-2011, 10:09 AM

What are you talking about here again? Wade can afford to lose a season when he's in his prime? WOW! No one wants to miss a season because players don't get paid and next 4 years are more important for Wade than anybody else in the league. He's on a team that has the best chance to win it all. Why would he want to lose a season? And he's not following anyone. He's not a guy who shows off. He's probably the only superstar in the league today who can speak out whatever he feels regardless of what might happened in his individual future (Basically he took himself out of Stern's good-book). Your post is not clear.

He's a hater, dont waste your time.

likemystylez
10-03-2011, 10:09 AM

1) he might not have just taken himself out of sterns good book, he might have just punished the entire league.

2) Financially, he can afford to waste a season, but there are over 200 players who arent in the same boat as him. They didnt make 13 million last season. PLUS all the cell phone/ shoe endorsements.

3) SPeaking up might have looked good and got him his "Props", but it likely didnt do anything to save the season. The last star who spoke his mind had absolutely nothing to lose. Jordan said it on the way out... and that resulted in a shortened season

Conclusion- What wade did might not have been as cool as people think it was.

likemystylez
10-03-2011, 10:11 AM
He's a hater, dont waste your time.

wouldnt call myself a hater- Im just an individual who would rather see this lock out get resolved than a repeat of the 98 lock out. I guess if you like wade enough and are willing to support him... having a season start on time or not isnt that big of a deal, after all wade yelled at stern... cool!!

naps
10-03-2011, 10:28 AM
[QUOTE=likemystylez;19367580]1) he might not have just taken himself out of sterns good book, he might have just punished the entire league.

Because he mentioned the truth? Because he said something that every player should say (But no one has the balls to argue with the godfather)?

2) Financially, he can afford to waste a season, but there are over 200 players who arent in the same boat as him. They didnt make 13 million last season. PLUS all the cell phone/ shoe endorsements.

No, he can't afford to lose a season. He's set for his life financially but he simply can't afford a wasted season because he's in his prime. These next 4 seasons will mark the most significant period of his career in terms of legacy. So even if any superstar wants to miss a season (what you are saying), it's not Wade.

3) SPeaking up might have looked good and got him his "Props", but it likely didnt do anything to save the season. The last star who spoke his mind had absolutely nothing to lose. Jordan said it on the way out... and that resulted in a shortened season

Point? What did Wade say that was wrong? If anything he made an example for all the players. Owners/Stern make money because of the players. They have no way out without players. On the other hand, players can make their living playing somewhere else other than NBA.

Conclusion- What wade did might not have been as cool as people think it was.

All I can say, you made no sense at all (no offense but stating how I feel) and you might just be another bitter poster here. Good try.

D-Leethal
10-03-2011, 01:55 PM
something tells me MJ is singing a different tune this time around from the owners seat.....especially given the penny pinching hes been doing recently at the expense of staying competitive on the court

Shmontaine
10-03-2011, 02:09 PM
link: http://articles.nydailynews.com/1998-10-29/sports/18090869_1_abe-pollin-owners-wizards

Perfectly fine with what Wade did. Sometimes, you must demand respect. Keep in mind, Stern started all of this with his talk of "burying dead bodies" at the allstar game.

Jordan and KERR stood up for themselves then, Wade now.

Yes, the NBPA lost on some points of negotiation (capped salaries, rookie scale), but wound up with 57% of BRI, which was far more than the 48% split of the previous deal.

how you drew a comparison to what MJ did in '98 and what wade did last weekend is a far far stretch IMO...

MJ was talking about the labor negotiations, telling the owners to trust the players union negotiators and to bargain in good faith.. Wade was talking about himself, telling stern to 'not to point at him, because he's not a child'...

where's the comparison?? they both spoke at a CBA meeting?? they're words and messages were completely different and incomparable...

Knick4Knack
10-03-2011, 07:31 PM
how you drew a comparison to what MJ did in '98 and what wade did last weekend is a far far stretch IMO...

MJ was talking about the labor negotiations, telling the owners to trust the players union negotiators and to bargain in good faith.. Wade was talking about himself, telling stern to 'not to point at him, because he's not a child'...

where's the comparison?? they both spoke at a CBA meeting?? they're words and messages were completely different and incomparable...

In order to negotiate fairly, there must be an equal level of respect. What Jordan did in that room that day was establish respect. Wade also. There has been a general consensus among NBA players that Stern does not treat them with respect. By standing up for himself, Wade stood up for all players.

Did Jordan have to endure any talk of "burying dead bodies?"

Jordan ALSO told the late Abe Pollen, shockingly, to sell his team if he couldn't make a profit.

He BLASTED owners for not negotiating in good faith. Doesn't sound low key to me.

It seems strange to me that you are fixated on Wade's response on not being treated like a child, yet do not care to admonish Stern's completely childish behavior throughout this process. Who points and shouts during negotiations and then wants to be taken seriously? Would he have done that to an owner?No!

Stern has tried to bully and push, not negotiate. The shame is, I hear that he is brilliant when it actually comes to negotiation.

Knick4Knack
10-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Pretty much a bad example you found, and ironic considering how Jordan's Bobcats are losing a ton of money. Is he going to sell them anytime soon? Not likely.

In order to comprehend the example properly you must seperate Jordan the player from Jordan the owner. As a fact, in a singular event, he stood up for himself as a player. How he feels over a decade later as a owner has no relevance on what he did in terms of his negotiating position as a player. The interests are completely different.

bholly
10-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Interesting that Jordan went from yelling at Pollin to becoming the Wizard's President of Basketball Ops.

Nice find. That is the first year the Bullets changed to Wizards as well.

Wasn't that a year earlier than this?