PDA

View Full Version : Who Do Non LA/Chicago Fans Think is the Best MJ?

Tony_Starks
10-01-2011, 05:22 PM
I know out here in CA we all say its the Magic man no question, and in the Chi its considered blasphemous to even ask but I just wondered about the "neutral" fans? A legit case can be made for both. Jordan was probably the most unstoppable while Magic revolutionized the pg position and the fast break. Jordan never lost a finals but on the other hand Magic was able to beat two of the toughest, deepest teams ever in their prime.

I personally think that the whole Jordan is the best ever no questions asked, not even a discussion thing is one of the biggest myths in basketball but of course Im biased......

edit- I forgot to put up a poll, if a mod could help me out it would be much appreciated!

Hawkeye15
10-01-2011, 05:27 PM
When you put forth the entire arguments on who the best player of all time is, Jordan just comes out on top no matter how you dice it. Awards, accolades, statistics, dominance amongst peers, everything. Magic revolutioned the PG position? Has there been another one like him? Jordan changed the sport of basketball, and how the media is involved. He made it more popular around the world.

It really is an easy call on who the best player of all time is. And no Crooner, its not because my television told me so, its because no matter which portion of the equation you bring up to measure the best ever, Jordan stands above everyone else.

jim51990
10-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Boston fan so it hurts to praise a laker but o have long said magic is better then mj

Cano4prez
10-01-2011, 05:37 PM
As a Heat fan (no bandwagon) I can comfortably say Jordan>Magic easily

JordansBulls
10-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Jordan dominated the #1 spot

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631361

Magic was great, but IMO how can you be considered the best of all time if you were not great on both ends? This is a big reason why MJ, Kareem and Wilt are the 3 most talked about for GOAT. Because while Russell has the titles and the defense, he wasn't great on offense. Magic has the offense and playmaking ability but he wasn't great on defense.

As for why Jordan is usually the majority pick for GOAT over those two in particular (disregarding Wilt/Kareem etc.), there are a couple of reasons:

- Statistical dominance. Though Magic and Bird both put up otherworldly numbers, Jordan's production-- and not just in terms of scoring-- was stratospheric for a non-center. Jordan's average EFF (a cumulative stat that takes into account all the statistical categories and measures overall statistical impact) upon his retirement in 1993 was an astonishing 32.9. And that's an 8 season average. By comparison, Magic only topped 32.9 on one occasion, and even then just barely (33.3 EFF in '88-'89). Bird topped 32.9 on a few occasions (with EFF's of 34.3, 34.4, and 34.0), but his average EFF from 1980-1990 (not counting his last two seasons due to injuries) was "only" 30.4. Jordan's single season high in EFF was 37.0, and he topped 34 two other times as well (34.6 and 35.1). And Jordan led in PER 7x, while Bird and Magic did so only once and MJ has the highest PER ever recorded at 27.91 with Shaq being 2nd.

- Achievements, such as MVP's, Finals MVP's, DPOY award, and first-team and defensive first-team selections. Jordan had 5 MVP's to Magic and Bird's 3 apiece; he had 6 Finals MVP's to Magic's 3 and Bird's 2. He had a DPOY award that Magic and Bird could never hope to get. He had 10 all-NBA first-team selections to Magic's 9 and Bird's 9. Yes, Magic would have had more had he not retired and Bird would've had more if not for injuries, but Jordan would have also had 2 more had he not retired in '93, and likely a third had he not broken his foot in '86, so it's no use playing the "what if" game. Jordan also had 9 defensive first-team selections to Magic's none and Bird's 3 defensive second-team selections.

- Championships. Simply put, Jordan (6) has more than either Bird (3) or Magic (5). Yes, Bird and Magic had to beat each other for rings, which precluded either of them from getting more, but they each also had tons more help than Jordan did. Regardless, arguments about league strength aside, Jordan just has more, and his period of dominance was longer than Magic or Bird's. Also, this is only one aspect of the overall picture, so even if you feel that MJ's 6 rings don't hold as much weight as Magic's 5 (though I personally feel that the strength of Magic's supporting cast relative to Jordan's is enough to counterbalance the supposedly "weaker era" and make them relatively equal accomplishments)-- but if you disagree, then just realize that this is only one aspect of a larger picture.

- Overall skill. All three were among the top 5 or 6 most skilled players of all-time imo, and each had advantages over the others in various areas. Bird was the best rebounder of the bunch, Magic the best passer, Jordan the best scorer and defender. However, in their respective primes, the edges that Bird and Magic had on Jordan in these categories is not as large as the edge that Jordan had on Magic and Bird in his pet categories. For example, in his prime, Bird was capable of getting 13-17 rebounds on any given night, while in his prime, Jordan was capable of grabbing 11-14 rebounds on any given night. Magic in his prime could dish out 13-17 assists on any given night, whereas Jordan in his prime could dish out 10-14 assists on any given night. However, scoring-wise, Jordan was good for 45-55 on any given night while Bird was good for about 35-40 or so on any given night, and Magic "only" about 30-35.

Also defensively, Jordan was capable of disrupting entire teams' offenses in a way that neither Magic nor Bird were ever remotely capable of; he was also capable of playing lock-down defense, which neither of them really could, and he did so fairly consistently. I have a game vs. Boston on DVD from '88 where Jordan has 8 steals at the half, and Boston literally could not run the plays they wanted to because of Jordan's presence on the court. Bird looked exasperated. He could almost singlehandedly take opposing big men out of the game with his help defense from up top and the weak side. At any rate, the gap in defense between Jordan and Magic/Bird is much more significant than Bird's edge in rebounding and Magic's edge in passing in their respective primes imo. At the very least, these 3 are a wash skill-wise.

- Clutch play and dominance. Magic was clutch, to be certain, even if his clutchness often manifested itself in different ways than MJ's clutchness usually did. Bird was, obviously, a top 3 clutch player all-time (along w/Jordan and West imo), so he's in that conversation. Still, Jordan is generally considered to be the most clutch of the three, though it's not a huge advantage by any means. While all three were capable of beating you with the shot, rebound, or pass (some better than others in each category, but all capable), Jordan was a clutch defender as well, and could come up with the key block or steal or denial of a shot attempt by his man when it counted to a far greater degree than either Bird or Magic. Bird and Magic made up for their comparative lack of defensive ability with their canniness (e.g., Bird's steal vs. Detroit in the ECF), but it wasn't nearly on the same level as Jordan. Also, of the two, only Bird approaches Jordan's dominance over the league in terms of "who is the biggest bad guy? Who don't you want to piss off?" Bird was a bad, bad man. Jordan was badder, and he maintained that status for longer (through no fault of Bird's own; his injuries really robbed him of a few of his prime years).

You put all these things together and it's difficult to pick Magic or Bird over Jordan, for me at least. I have no problem admitting that all are on the same relative level. If Bird's prime wasn't cut short, he would've went down as better than Magic imo, since his peak play ('84-'86) was better than Magic's peak play ('86-'89). Like Jerry West said of Jordan in 1993: "he's the best offensive player in the league, he's the best defensive player in the league, and he's the best competitor, playing on a team that, while suited to him, is not an ideal team. He carries that team; and very rarely do you see players carry teams to victories, much less championships. And if there's ever going to be a player who comes along that's better, I think we're all going to be sitting here scratching our heads."

Series with HCA

HCA(50+)/non-50
Jordan: 14-0 / 10-0
Magic: 9-2 / 20-1

llemon
10-01-2011, 05:45 PM
After watching and following the NBA for 48 years, in my opinion, Michael Jordan is absolutely and unquestionably the greatest basketball player to ever set foot on an NBA court.

I'm a Nets' fan that was a Wilt fan and ABA Julius was my God.

Cal827
10-01-2011, 05:55 PM
To me, it's Jordan easy. It is true that Magic beat some of the deepest teams out there, but he also had an extremely loaded team himself ( including that he had Abdul-Jabbar who was another top 5 or 6 player of all time along with him.). When it comes to secondary options, I love Pippen but Abdul-Jabbar>> Pippen.

smith&wesson
10-01-2011, 05:56 PM
jordan obviously. did you see magic in a movie with buggs bunny lol ?

honestly a more fair question would be
jordan & pippen or wade & lebron
jordan & pippen or kobe & shaq
jordan & pippen or magic & abdul-jabbar

Testaverde16
10-01-2011, 06:00 PM
laker fan in NY here... Jordan is GOAT

SportsFanatic10
10-01-2011, 06:09 PM
the title made me think the question was who resembles mj the most playstyle wise as in kobe or wade or something.

JordansBulls
10-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Here was a clip in 1993 where even Jerry West mentioned MJ was the best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1mFE_ekV7E&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZquLVr3MeGk&feature=related
@ the 1:30 mark, Dick Stockton refers to Jerry West mentioning that MJ was the greatest ever period.

Pat Riley mentions that Jordan will always be considered the best
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0565oawy9Ak

7:55 mark Isiah Thomas debates on why MJ was the best over Wilt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP-Rm2atzU0

4:59 mark --> Magic Johnson calls Michael Jordan the "best ever" in 1993
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6og_pOVi2w&feature=related

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2003-02-06-dupree-team_x.htm

Magic Johnson says there is no debate.
"Michael is the greatest player ever, and Bill Russell is the greatest winner ever and always will be

shep33
10-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Laker fan here, I think Jordan is the GOAT.

However... If Magic hadn't retired early, his numbers would be even more astronomical, which in turn could have made the discussion more interesting.

But IMO it's Jordan, either way.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-01-2011, 06:16 PM
I think JB has his articles and posts ready to copy-paste when someone makes a jordan vs...........debate thread:laugh2:

llemon
10-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Here was a clip in 1993 where even Jerry West mentioned MJ was the best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1mFE_ekV7E&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZquLVr3MeGk&feature=related
@ the 1:30 mark, Dick Stockton refers to Jerry West mentioning that MJ was the greatest ever period.

Pat Riley mentions that Jordan will always be considered the best
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0565oawy9Ak

7:55 mark Isiah Thomas debates on why MJ was the best over Wilt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP-Rm2atzU0

4:59 mark --> Magic Johnson calls Michael Jordan the "best ever" in 1993
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6og_pOVi2w&feature=related

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2003-02-06-dupree-team_x.htm

Players' and coaches' accolades don't really mean anything.

Politics, friendships, an inability to really judge due not have actually seen some players perform. and of course, opinion.

And of course, this is just my opinion, but I'm going by what I saw happen on the court.

smith&wesson
10-01-2011, 06:20 PM
mike who ?

mike jameeesss

Two-3
10-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Jordan no question.

ManningToTyree
10-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Jordan.

Hustlenomics
10-01-2011, 06:50 PM
He dropped 63 on my team and Jordan is still the best of all time

ewmania
10-01-2011, 06:56 PM
jordan, kareem, magic, wilt

DONE!!!! lol

Andrew32
10-01-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm a Knick fan and I consider Shaq/Jordan/Kareem to be the 3 contenders for the GOAT Title.

They are an exclusive group of players who dominated consistently in both the RS and the PS (regular season and post season) at a higher level then any other players in history for 10-13+ Years.

Jordan and Shaq have the best 5 and 7 year stretches and Kareem has the best longevity of the three.

I see very very weak cases for Wilt (Wilted in PS), Magic (Not enough production), and Russell (1 way player)

I think Magic was more then his stats though so if I would add one of those three to the group it'd be him.

Hawkeye15
10-01-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm a Knick fan and I consider Shaq/Jordan/Kareem to be the 3 contenders for the GOAT Title.

They are an exclusive group of players who dominated consistently in both the RS and the PS (regular season and post season) at a higher level then any other players in history for 10-13+ Years.

Jordan and Shaq have the best 5 and 7 year stretches and Kareem has the best longevity of the three.

I see very very weak cases for Wilt (Wilted in PS), Magic (Not enough production), and Russell (1 way player)

I think Magic was more then his stats though so if I would add one of those three to the group it'd be him.

Shaq also missed a ton of free throws and was a liability in that area late in games at times, and he was also nowhere near the defender Jordan was.

Basketball and hockey are really the only sports that come to mind where there will be a near unanimous vote on the GOAT.

Andrew32
10-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Shaq's Peak Production, longevity and impact are still unmatched by anyone besides Jordan/Kareem even with his subpar FT Shooting.

If he shot 70%+ or more from the stripe he'd be the unanimous GOAT.

Shaq was never a liability in late game situations and he was the main Closer for LA in 00 and 02
(01 they steam rolled the league), in 02 he shot 65% from the line and was the Closer in the Portland/Sacramento series.

Jordan was one of the best defensive SG's ever in his younger years and the early 90's but his defensive impact was never equal to Shaq's.

Shaq was an Elite Defensive Anchor from 93-02 and still a very good one from 03-06.

other then Hakeem and maybe Duncan slightly their were no other 2 way centers better defensively then the Diesal.

Shaq 3FMVPS
00 - 38 // 16.7 // 2.4 // --- 61.1 FG%
01 - 33 // 15.8 // 4.8 // --- 57.3 FG%
02 - 36.3 // 12.3 // 3.8 // --- 59.5 FG%

No player in history has a better 5 and 7 year stretch then Shaq besides Jordan even Kareem doesnt come close.

Over a career its close between those 3 (Dominance (Shaq Jordan) vs Longetivity (Kareem) but they are the only 3 reasonable choices.

Two-3
10-01-2011, 07:59 PM
I know out here in CA we all say its the Magic man no question, and in the Chi its considered blasphemous to even ask but I just wondered about the "neutral" fans? A legit case can be made for both. Jordan was probably the most unstoppable while Magic revolutionized the pg position and the fast break. Jordan never lost a finals but on the other hand Magic was able to beat two of the toughest, deepest teams ever in their prime.

I personally think that the whole Jordan is the best ever no questions asked, not even a discussion thing is one of the biggest myths in basketball but of course Im biased......

edit- I forgot to put up a poll, if a mod could help me out it would be much appreciated!

:facepalm: No we don't

MackShock
10-01-2011, 08:23 PM
San Francisco native here....and MJ is Michael Jordan.

Tony_Starks
10-01-2011, 08:35 PM
I mean if you look from a sheer stat perspective Jordan is always going to blow everyone away. But I look at things like impact on the game, impact as a rookie dominating the finals when his best player was down, the fact that no one before or since has ever played all five positions, no one before or since played pg at 6'9, making everyone around him better...etc.

Then if you want to put Kareem in the conversation you can't forget that it was playing with Magic that completely extended his career so thats another plus. Im not knocking MJ but I've seen players since with a similar style or whatever but with Magic I've yet to see anyone come close. Maybe Steve Nash but he played with awesome talent and couldn't get it done so that puts into perspective the "oh he was just on good teams" argument......

RevisIsland
10-01-2011, 08:43 PM
There are people that consider this a question?

valade16
10-01-2011, 08:51 PM
I mean if you look from a sheer stat perspective Jordan is always going to blow everyone away. But I look at things like impact on the game, impact as a rookie dominating the finals when his best player was down, the fact that no one before or since has ever played all five positions, no one before or since played pg at 6'9, making everyone around him better...etc.

Then if you want to put Kareem in the conversation you can't forget that it was playing with Magic that completely extended his career so thats another plus. Im not knocking MJ but I've seen players since with a similar style or whatever but with Magic I've yet to see anyone come close. Maybe Steve Nash but he played with awesome talent and couldn't get it done so that puts into perspective the "oh he was just on good teams" argument......

Everything you listed is why Magic is the most "unique player". We are talking about best player. Jordan played his one position better than Magic played all 5. Jordan is unquestionably a better player, which shows just how amazing Jordan is considering Magic is a top 5 player ever...

KaganRS
10-01-2011, 08:52 PM
JORDAN ... he dismantled the bad boys

KaganRS
10-01-2011, 08:54 PM
mike who ?

Mike jameeesss

mike who ?!?

smith&wesson
10-01-2011, 08:56 PM
mike who ?!?

mike jammmeess GOAT... isnt that who were talking about :confused: it has to be!

ChetSteadman
10-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Uh, I'm in CA and I don't know a single person who would argue Magic was better than Michael.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Jordan and it isn't really close.

MackShock
10-01-2011, 09:10 PM
except Michael Jordan cant touch Michael Jackson.

gotoHcarolina52
10-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Magic's team had more style, more flash, and was more fun to watch due in large part to Magic's immaculate passing abilities. But Jordan was unstoppable.

Ray_R
10-01-2011, 09:18 PM
except Michael Jordan cant touch Michael Jackson.

Off course not he is not underage.

hgtiger32
10-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Jordan. He would destory Magic if they were both in their primes and if they played a game of 1 on 1. Combined with everything else, Jordan is the better MJ.

kozelkid
10-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Shaq also missed a ton of free throws and was a liability in that area late in games at times, and he was also nowhere near the defender Jordan was.

Basketball and hockey are really the only sports that come to mind where there will be a near unanimous vote on the GOAT.

Baseball? It's Babe rather easily.

Although I agree with you about football and Soccer.

Tanakid777
10-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Off course not he is not underage.

:facepalm:

Y2JOrdan
10-01-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm live in Ca and I don't know anyone who would say Magic over MJ.

MackShock
10-01-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm live in Ca and I don't know anyone who would say Magic over MJ.

He's probably from LA, and grew up watching the Showtime Lakers...

but the fact that Jordan won 6 championships, and two 3peats...is just unbelievable. His scoring averages were insane too.

MJ-BULLS
10-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Jordan dominated the #1 spot

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631361

Magic was great, but IMO how can you be considered the best of all time if you were not great on both ends? This is a big reason why MJ, Kareem and Wilt are the 3 most talked about for GOAT. Because while Russell has the titles and the defense, he wasn't great on offense. Magic has the offense and playmaking ability but he wasn't great on defense.

As for why Jordan is usually the majority pick for GOAT over those two in particular (disregarding Wilt/Kareem etc.), there are a couple of reasons:

- Statistical dominance. Though Magic and Bird both put up otherworldly numbers, Jordan's production-- and not just in terms of scoring-- was stratospheric for a non-center. Jordan's average EFF (a cumulative stat that takes into account all the statistical categories and measures overall statistical impact) upon his retirement in 1993 was an astonishing 32.9. And that's an 8 season average. By comparison, Magic only topped 32.9 on one occasion, and even then just barely (33.3 EFF in '88-'89). Bird topped 32.9 on a few occasions (with EFF's of 34.3, 34.4, and 34.0), but his average EFF from 1980-1990 (not counting his last two seasons due to injuries) was "only" 30.4. Jordan's single season high in EFF was 37.0, and he topped 34 two other times as well (34.6 and 35.1). And Jordan led in PER 7x, while Bird and Magic did so only once and MJ has the highest PER ever recorded at 27.91 with Shaq being 2nd.

- Achievements, such as MVP's, Finals MVP's, DPOY award, and first-team and defensive first-team selections. Jordan had 5 MVP's to Magic and Bird's 3 apiece; he had 6 Finals MVP's to Magic's 3 and Bird's 2. He had a DPOY award that Magic and Bird could never hope to get. He had 10 all-NBA first-team selections to Magic's 9 and Bird's 9. Yes, Magic would have had more had he not retired and Bird would've had more if not for injuries, but Jordan would have also had 2 more had he not retired in '93, and likely a third had he not broken his foot in '86, so it's no use playing the "what if" game. Jordan also had 9 defensive first-team selections to Magic's none and Bird's 3 defensive second-team selections.

- Championships. Simply put, Jordan (6) has more than either Bird (3) or Magic (5). Yes, Bird and Magic had to beat each other for rings, which precluded either of them from getting more, but they each also had tons more help than Jordan did. Regardless, arguments about league strength aside, Jordan just has more, and his period of dominance was longer than Magic or Bird's. Also, this is only one aspect of the overall picture, so even if you feel that MJ's 6 rings don't hold as much weight as Magic's 5 (though I personally feel that the strength of Magic's supporting cast relative to Jordan's is enough to counterbalance the supposedly "weaker era" and make them relatively equal accomplishments)-- but if you disagree, then just realize that this is only one aspect of a larger picture.

- Overall skill. All three were among the top 5 or 6 most skilled players of all-time imo, and each had advantages over the others in various areas. Bird was the best rebounder of the bunch, Magic the best passer, Jordan the best scorer and defender. However, in their respective primes, the edges that Bird and Magic had on Jordan in these categories is not as large as the edge that Jordan had on Magic and Bird in his pet categories. For example, in his prime, Bird was capable of getting 13-17 rebounds on any given night, while in his prime, Jordan was capable of grabbing 11-14 rebounds on any given night. Magic in his prime could dish out 13-17 assists on any given night, whereas Jordan in his prime could dish out 10-14 assists on any given night. However, scoring-wise, Jordan was good for 45-55 on any given night while Bird was good for about 35-40 or so on any given night, and Magic "only" about 30-35.

Also defensively, Jordan was capable of disrupting entire teams' offenses in a way that neither Magic nor Bird were ever remotely capable of; he was also capable of playing lock-down defense, which neither of them really could, and he did so fairly consistently. I have a game vs. Boston on DVD from '88 where Jordan has 8 steals at the half, and Boston literally could not run the plays they wanted to because of Jordan's presence on the court. Bird looked exasperated. He could almost singlehandedly take opposing big men out of the game with his help defense from up top and the weak side. At any rate, the gap in defense between Jordan and Magic/Bird is much more significant than Bird's edge in rebounding and Magic's edge in passing in their respective primes imo. At the very least, these 3 are a wash skill-wise.

- Clutch play and dominance. Magic was clutch, to be certain, even if his clutchness often manifested itself in different ways than MJ's clutchness usually did. Bird was, obviously, a top 3 clutch player all-time (along w/Jordan and West imo), so he's in that conversation. Still, Jordan is generally considered to be the most clutch of the three, though it's not a huge advantage by any means. While all three were capable of beating you with the shot, rebound, or pass (some better than others in each category, but all capable), Jordan was a clutch defender as well, and could come up with the key block or steal or denial of a shot attempt by his man when it counted to a far greater degree than either Bird or Magic. Bird and Magic made up for their comparative lack of defensive ability with their canniness (e.g., Bird's steal vs. Detroit in the ECF), but it wasn't nearly on the same level as Jordan. Also, of the two, only Bird approaches Jordan's dominance over the league in terms of "who is the biggest bad guy? Who don't you want to piss off?" Bird was a bad, bad man. Jordan was badder, and he maintained that status for longer (through no fault of Bird's own; his injuries really robbed him of a few of his prime years).

You put all these things together and it's difficult to pick Magic or Bird over Jordan, for me at least. I have no problem admitting that all are on the same relative level. If Bird's prime wasn't cut short, he would've went down as better than Magic imo, since his peak play ('84-'86) was better than Magic's peak play ('86-'89). Like Jerry West said of Jordan in 1993: "he's the best offensive player in the league, he's the best defensive player in the league, and he's the best competitor, playing on a team that, while suited to him, is not an ideal team. He carries that team; and very rarely do you see players carry teams to victories, much less championships. And if there's ever going to be a player who comes along that's better, I think we're all going to be sitting here scratching our heads."

Series with HCA

HCA(50+)/non-50
Jordan: 14-0 / 10-0
Magic: 9-2 / 20-1

Do your thing JB.

Korman12
10-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Jordan. Good God, Jordan. The greatest athlete I ever had the luck of seeing in my lifetime.

Brooklyn Mets
10-01-2011, 11:14 PM
michael jordan.

PinnacleFlash
10-01-2011, 11:23 PM
There are only two posters that have an argument against Michael Jordan as the greatest ever. Those two are.....Bill Russell and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Magic does not have a case to be honest with you. Magic even said himself during the '93 Finals that Michael would surpass him if he won the 93 Finals because he would have done something that Magic wasn't able to do.....three-peat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6og_pOVi2w

todu82
10-01-2011, 11:49 PM
It's Michael Jordan for me.

OaklandsFinest
10-02-2011, 12:07 AM
As a california born and raised man I feel like this thread was a misquote. I don't know anybody in the state of california who thinks Magic is better than Mike. Maybe its because anybody who is as much of a d*ckrider of the lakers to say that is no friend of mine... just sayin...

MTar786
10-02-2011, 01:38 AM
Im from LA and i think a better question to ask is who is better between kareem and mj..

jordan is better than magic.. thats for sure.. but its too hard to say who is better between him and kareem.. I guess in some cases id take mj and in other cases id go with abdul-jabbar

alencp3
10-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Michael Jackson and its not even close
His prime was GOAT

tredigs
10-02-2011, 02:16 AM

You're talking about a guy who played against the greatest players of all time - including Magic - and dominated them. How is this a question to you? Jordan was a far better two way player, a far better athlete, and a far more energetic/ultra-competitive gamer than Magic or any other player to step on the hardwood.

That's not even jocking the guy - it's just fact. Doesn't hurt that Magic readily and whole-heartedly endorsed Jordan as "the best player of all time" in 1993 just after his prime (simultaneously saying his 87 Lakers could beat Jordan's Bulls 'because they were essentially just Jordan').

blastmasta26
10-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Jordan over Magic easily. The stats, the success, domination, all speak for themselves. Sure, Magic could play 5 positions, but unrivaled skill trumps versatility.

Tony_Starks
10-02-2011, 01:04 PM
He's probably from LA, and grew up watching the Showtime Lakers...

but the fact that Jordan won 6 championships, and two 3peats...is just unbelievable. His scoring averages were insane too.

Yeah I probably should've specified LA instead of making a broad statement of just CA, of course we're more biased here having been to the old forum and actually saw the show. Depends on age groups as well. 99% of the people I know from out here that actually witnessed the 80's Lakers easily say Magic is the best to ever do it.

For the younger cats I would pretty much expect them to say Jordan because thats what they grew up with.

Like I say I can't be mad at people that say Jordan but to say its not even close or no question indicates some peoples lack of context IMO......

Tony_Starks
10-02-2011, 01:06 PM
As a california born and raised man I feel like this thread was a misquote. I don't know anybody in the state of california who thinks Magic is better than Mike. Maybe its because anybody who is as much of a d*ckrider of the lakers to say that is no friend of mine... just sayin...

Thats pretty impressive that you know everyone in the state of California. I didn't know that was possible......

LakersMaster24
10-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Michael Jackson and its not even close
His prime was GOAT

This.