PDA

View Full Version : NBA Has Engaging Discussions

mzgrizz
10-01-2011, 03:33 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/oct/01/nba-has-engaging-discussions/

This is the one out of 3 issues resolved. Down 1 ;2 to go.
Also a slightly different take on the Wade /Stern clash.

CeeDub15
10-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Yup, heard about this, definetely a good sign, sounds like there has been some progress today, im sure they will meet tomorrow as well.

MrfadeawayJB
10-01-2011, 03:55 PM
i hope they get this done real soon, because i saw on the bottom line ticker of espn if they dont get this close to resolved by the weekend they may have to look into cancelling games

Hawkeye15
10-01-2011, 04:05 PM
its just frustrating that they waited so long to start serious negotiations.

CeeDub15
10-01-2011, 04:08 PM
It definetely is, but it usually happens in any type of negotiations, pretty sure it took the NFL a while til they started serious negotiations as well. Seams like there really making some steady progress today and it sounds like theyll meet tomorrow too.

mzgrizz
10-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I am going out on a limb and projecting resolution of this conflict by Sunday night 10p EST.

MrfadeawayJB
10-01-2011, 04:16 PM
I hope your right MzGrizz

beasted86
10-01-2011, 04:21 PM
This is only a minor step in negotiations IMO.

I still expect both sides to play hard ball on the BRI split & salary structure well into the end of October.

DoMeFavors
10-01-2011, 04:22 PM
This is only a minor step in negotiations IMO.

I still expect both sides to play hard ball on the BRI split & salary structure well into the end of October.

when you think we start?

beasted86
10-01-2011, 04:23 PM
when you think we start?

Not on time.

NYman15
10-01-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm not as optimistic as some of you guys. I still think there's a good chance we miss games, but this is a good sign,

@alanhahn: Sense of optimism being felt today at #NBA labor talks. One person in contact with those in the meeting said "making progress." #fb 4 minutes ago

GREATNESS ONE
10-01-2011, 04:42 PM
one thing is for sure, we're going to definitely find out a lot in the next couple days.

Tony_Starks
10-01-2011, 04:59 PM
its just frustrating that they waited so long to start serious negotiations.

Very frustrating indeed. It's obvious that the owners entire strategy from day one was just make their demands and wait it out. No consideration for the fans at all. The only reason they're even attempting to negotiate now is that it's public knowledge that the players are at least TRYING to compromise so them keeping the hard stance would just make them look like bigger villains.....

mzgrizz
10-01-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm not as optimistic as some of you guys. I still think there's a good chance we miss games, but this is a good sign,

@alanhahn: Sense of optimism being felt today at #NBA labor talks. One person in contact with those in the meeting said "making progress." #fb 4 minutes ago

Hope I miss my guess by 8 hours shorter

Hawkeye15
10-01-2011, 05:23 PM
I am going out on a limb and projecting resolution of this conflict by Sunday night 10p EST.

I hope you are right

CeeDub15
10-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Still meeting, closing i on the 7 hour mark i believe. Cant wait to hear if there was good progress or not.

I better not hear Fisher say there was no proposals or progress today like every other day.

beasted86
10-01-2011, 05:38 PM
All I want is to at least hear an official proposal was delivered from either side.

mzgrizz
10-01-2011, 09:06 PM
I am loving that they are booking it now. Come on guys. Make my day.

Nomah
10-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Make this happen, don't want to wait forever.

MackShock
10-01-2011, 09:11 PM
i dont know why they met once a week in the past and wasted all that time...they couldve meet every other day at least or back to back days like now..they mightve agreed to something already

pacersfan1967
10-01-2011, 09:15 PM
They met again monday..Unless I miss something..

mzgrizz
10-01-2011, 09:16 PM
^^^^^Because they were posturing and taking the summer off. Kids........

mzgrizz
10-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Well I stand corrected( not by tomorrow) and dejected.

likemystylez
10-01-2011, 10:06 PM
i dont know why they met once a week in the past and wasted all that time...they couldve meet every other day at least or back to back days like now..they mightve agreed to something already

its not smart negotiating to move towards the opposition when there is NOTHING forcing you to do so.This is a dangerous game, but if it helps the sides get more of that 4.3 billion dolllars of revenue, itll be worth it for them.

MackShock
10-01-2011, 10:57 PM
its not smart negotiating to move towards the opposition when there is NOTHING forcing you to do so.This is a dangerous game, but if it helps the sides get more of that 4.3 billion dolllars of revenue, itll be worth it for them.

well i hate how they literally just met once a week, when they couldve had much more dialogue going on..

Look what happened with the NFL Lockout, that was an open and shut case..

DR_1
10-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Very frustrating indeed. It's obvious that the owners entire strategy from day one was just make their demands and wait it out. No consideration for the fans at all. The only reason they're even attempting to negotiate now is that it's public knowledge that the players are at least TRYING to compromise so them keeping the hard stance would just make them look like bigger villains.....

I agree. The owners have some points, but they have been incredibly arrogant about it.

likemystylez
10-01-2011, 11:34 PM
I agree. The owners have some points, but they have been incredibly arrogant about it.

yeah- I dunno, Im telling myself that at some point.... a lot of the owners are not really going to want to lose the season over this. I mean do teams like NY, Los Angelos, Chicago really want to lose a season when they have their championship level teams in tact. At some point will these owners publically vent their frusteration with the poorer teams or somehow agree to amazing revenue sharing measures just to get this season moving. But maybe they figure the players have moved this far, why not a little bit more.

Then again- I dunno, both sides keep saying no progress is being made, but a lot of the owners are right there spending their valuable time in these meetings... maybe there is something happening, but neither side wants to announce a deal until its done.

mzgrizz
10-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Well I think the concessions to the small market teams have been settled and the biggest decisions are the BRI percentages. Also the hard v small caps.

likemystylez
10-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Well I think the concessions to the small market teams have been settled and the biggest decisions are the BRI percentages. Also the hard v small caps.

The BRI is a monster.... and are you talking about hard cap vs soft cap? I think the owners have agreed to a soft cap, but there arent going to be nearly as many exceptions.

mzgrizz
10-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Haha ! Sure was. These crazy iPhones type out crap when it guesses for you.

Tony_Starks
10-02-2011, 02:06 PM
From all reports they have some kind of structure in place for revenue sharing but the Big owners like Buss are still refusing to share profits from their tv deals (Lakers just got a $3 billion tv deal with time warner). So there is still division amongst the owners.

Also they've refused to move off the shift of the BRI from 57% to 46% which is completely insane. The only reason they made any progress is because they basically just agreed to stop talking about the BRI.

likemystylez
10-02-2011, 05:29 PM
From all reports they have some kind of structure in place for revenue sharing but the Big owners like Buss are still refusing to share profits from their tv deals (Lakers just got a $3 billion tv deal with time warner). So there is still division amongst the owners.

Also they've refused to move off the shift of the BRI from 57% to 46% which is completely insane. The only reason they made any progress is because they basically just agreed to stop talking about the BRI.

reports have the players moving as low as 52% on BRI... but they want a soft cap in place.

Overall this is good news though... sort of. Buss and Dolan both have huge tv deals and they dont want to share right now.... they want to see if they can squeeze more out of the players.

OK we get that BUT... Owners in huge markets like Buss and Dolan are probably the ones who want a season to happen more than ANYBODY. They are the ones with the absolute most to lose if a season is cancelled or even significantly delayed. If the start of the season is completely within their power- Thats probably not the worse thing.... because my guess is that they want it bad enough.

Tony_Starks
10-02-2011, 06:45 PM
reports have the players moving as low as 52% on BRI... but they want a soft cap in place.

Overall this is good news though... sort of. Buss and Dolan both have huge tv deals and they dont want to share right now.... they want to see if they can squeeze more out of the players.

OK we get that BUT... Owners in huge markets like Buss and Dolan are probably the ones who want a season to happen more than ANYBODY. They are the ones with the absolute most to lose if a season is cancelled or even significantly delayed. If the start of the season is completely within their power- Thats probably not the worse thing.... because my guess is that they want it bad enough.

Yeah the players are willing to go as low as 52% but apparently the owners have never budged from the 46%. They said some of the players were so frustrated friday by their flat out refusal that they almost walked out on the meeting. I don't blame them, when you're willing to make reasonable concessions and the other side is basically saying "nope, our way or nothing" that is total bs.

likemystylez
10-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah the players are willing to go as low as 52% but apparently the owners have never budged from the 46%. They said some of the players were so frustrated friday by their flat out refusal that they almost walked out on the meeting. I don't blame them, when you're willing to make reasonable concessions and the other side is basically saying "nope, our way or nothing" that is total bs.

we just have to hope that there are enough owners who really dont want to throw a whole season away just to make a point.

jiggin
10-03-2011, 08:58 AM
that is funny cause other sources say the exact OPPOSITE:

The longest bargaining session of the N.B.A. lockout ended on Saturday without a deal and without much progress, but so far without the “enormous consequences” that Commissioner David Stern threatened before the weekend.

Owners and players parted around 6 p.m., after a seven-and-a-half-hour meeting that, by its duration alone, suggested some movement. There was very little, however, and the parties will take a one-day break before reconvening on Monday, with opening night of the N.B.A. season very much in jeopardy.

“We’re still miles apart,” said Billy Hunter, the executive director of the players union. “There’s a huge bridge, gap, that I don’t know if we’re going to be able to close it or not.”

At Hunter’s suggestion, the parties focused solely on the salary-cap system on Saturday, for the first time “decoupling” that issue from the thornier subject of dividing revenue.

While they kept the details vague, they are moving toward common ground, now that the owners have dropped their demand for a strict, hard cap.

The challenge is how to construct a model that provides owners with a sufficient drag on payrolls without creating a de facto hard cap.

“We’re not near anything,” Stern said. “But wherever that is, we’re closer than we were before.”

Stern has already canceled a week of preseason games, 43 in all, and will soon have to wipe out a second week if no agreement is reached. He would not make that move official Saturday.

The start of the regular season, scheduled to begin Nov. 1, is also at risk if no deal is reached in the coming week. Stern had vowed “enormous consequences” for failing to make a deal this weekend, but he backed away from that declaration.

“I don’t take myself as seriously as you do,” Stern told reporters. “I apologize. It’s good that we had the players and the owners here and that we could vet a lot of things.”

He added: “If we didn’t think there was any hope, we wouldn’t be scheduling the meetings. But that’s the best that I would say right now.”

The sides are taking Sunday off, Hunter said, “because I generally don’t work on Sundays; I go to church on Sundays.”

Negotiators also took Thursday off in observance of Rosh Hashanah. In between, they spent nearly 13 hours together in a hotel conference room, in sometimes heated discussion.

Stern and Dwyane Wade, the Miami Heat star, had a testy exchange Friday, with Wade shouting at the commissioner, according to various reports. Stern and others lightheartedly acknowledged the flare-up and said the room was calmer Saturday.

“I guess you can call that one unusual,” Derek Fisher, the union president, said of the Wade-Stern clash. Although the tenor remained passionate Saturday, Fisher said, “It’s just that it wasn’t as passionate or boisterous as that.”

There were also fewer voices in the room. Wade and most of the other star players left New York after Friday’s meeting, reducing the player contingent to about 10, from a high of 23. Paul Pierce was the only marquee player remaining. Nine owners were present.

On Monday, the talks will be reduced to the previous three-on-three format that has, to this point, proved more productive.

“When you’ve got 40, 50 people in the room, it’s kind of difficult,” Hunter said. “We probably spent as much time caucusing outside the room with our respective groups than we did inside the room actually talking. Because when we’re inside, things sometimes get a bit tense.”

The full committees will meet again Tuesday to see if the full regular season can be saved.

From: The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/02/sports/basketball/an-nba-bargaining-session-goes-long-but-the-sides-are-still-miles-apart.html?_r=1&ref=basketball)

NBA owners and players on Saturday endured their longest bargaining session since the lockout began three months ago, but they emerged without a new labor deal, and the regular-season opener scheduled for Nov. 1 appears increasingly likely to be canceled.

NBA Players Assn. attorney Jeffrey Kessler, who was more gloomy than promising in his assessments of labor talks while helping the NFL players' union reach an agreement this summer, told reporters Saturday the sides are "still very far apart."

NBA Commissioner David Stern spoke as if at least the sides, after two days of "exhausting" talks, had put a dent in a massive effort to strike a new labor deal: "We're not near anything. But wherever that is, we're closer than we were before," Stern told reporters in New York after seven-plus hours of negotiations.

With the start of training camps and 43 exhibition games through Oct. 15 already canceled, league experts are bracing now for an announcement this week that the remainder of the preseason, and perhaps the regular-season openers, will be canceled as well.

Stern said deciding when to cancel more games is "day-by-day."

"Our desire would be to not cancel, and we had been hopeful that this weekend would be a broader marker, but for reasons which we understand, the players suggested that we resume [negotiations] on Monday, and we said 'fine,'" Stern said.

The parties will gather in small groups Monday and in full committees Tuesday, Kessler told reporters.

Derek Fisher, union president and Lakers point guard, cautioned that "huge gaps" remain in negotiations, and union Executive Director Billy Hunter said the parties are "miles apart."

"We're not quite comfortable with where they [the owners] are right now," Hunter told reporters.

Kessler said Saturday's session was focused on resolving the league's economic system, not how to split up basketball-related income (BRI).

Before the weekend, the players had agreed to a "giveback" of salary, moving from their 2010-11 share of 57% of BRI (more than $2.15 billion in total salaries) to somewhere around 53%.

Owners reportedly stood firm Saturday that the players' BRI should be 46% in a new contract.

The owners also want to install a firm team-by-team salary cap; the players argue that will deprive them both of guaranteed contracts and of any upside should the economy recover and attendance and television ratings increase.

Stern, in a strong nod that owners can fix some of their own economic problems that led to the league to claim that 22 of 30 teams are losing money, said Friday that owners would triple the revenue-sharing pot to about $180 million for each of the first two years of a new deal and increase it to at least $240 million in years three and beyond.

Sharing the wealth of lucrative big-market local television money that teams like the Lakers, New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls generate is deemed essential by smaller-market owners trying to remain competitive.

The players' hope is that with more of those dollars spread around, they'll be pointed at less often as the cause of the shortfall.

lance.pugmire@latimes.com

From the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nba-labor-20111002,0,6766041.story)

both articles were posted on the YESTERDAY. Your Memphis TN article was posted on the 1st, before Sundays meeting.

Don't want to be Debby downer, but lets not get overly excited because some hopeful grizzlies writer is trying to make this situation into a "glass is half full" type of situation.
It also appears that the negotiations, obviously are not just between the players and the owners...its between the players and the players and the owners and the owners. They have to come to a collective agreement before presenting it to the other party (either owners or players) so its negotiating with your own party before you negotiate with the other side of the table.

likemystylez
10-03-2011, 09:20 AM
^^ OK so what are the sources that are saying that exact opposite? You went out of your way to post the writers saying the bad stuff... where is the article saying the opposite of that?

likemystylez
10-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Also- what sunday meeting are you talking about? Is there any article confirming that there was actually a meeting on sunday? From what ive been able to gather... that was all a rumor with no basis as of yet?

ink
10-03-2011, 09:24 AM
that is funny cause other sources say the exact OPPOSITE:

From: The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/02/sports/basketball/an-nba-bargaining-session-goes-long-but-the-sides-are-still-miles-apart.html?_r=1&ref=basketball)

From the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nba-labor-20111002,0,6766041.story)

both articles were posted on the YESTERDAY. Your Memphis TN article was posted on the 1st, before Sundays meeting.

Don't want to be Debby downer, but lets not get overly excited because some hopeful grizzlies writer is trying to make this situation into a "glass is half full" type of situation.
It also appears that the negotiations, obviously are not just between the players and the owners...its between the players and the players and the owners and the owners. They have to come to a collective agreement before presenting it to the other party (either owners or players) so its negotiating with your own party before you negotiate with the other side of the table.

I think you're just being realistic. No matter what happens expect some games to be cancelled so a regular length training camp can happen. This is not going to be a full season IMO.

likemystylez
10-03-2011, 09:29 AM
^^ Still trying to make sense out of posting 2 old articles that basically say all the negetive. CAn someone link the article that is supposidly positive? Also where is there proof of a meeting taking place on sunday?