PDA

View Full Version : GM's and Managers

sox04rR
09-30-2011, 08:07 PM
with all the changes happening as of recent, name who you think the top 5 Gm's and Managers are.

GM's
Friedman
AA
daniels
epstien
beane/towers

Managers
TITO
Madden (kills me to say it)
La russa
sciosia
wash

GasMan
09-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Tito?

tuck25
09-30-2011, 08:21 PM
AA and Madden, hands Down....

Hunter48MVP
09-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Billy Beane is overrated.

RevisIsland
09-30-2011, 09:13 PM
If Andrew Friedman can consistently make the playoffs against the Red Sox and Yankees and Billy Beane can't get past the Angels and Rangers even once in recent years I don't see why they belong in the same conversation.

ManningToTyree
09-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Tito can't be on the list, he is unemployed.

ManningToTyree
09-30-2011, 09:27 PM
La Russa is overrated. Comes off like a sleezy, lowballing sleezebag, in my opinion.

very overrated. he over manages everything.

GoatMilk
09-30-2011, 09:31 PM
lol Ron Washington top 5

sox04rR
09-30-2011, 09:40 PM
imtalking about managers that managed in the past season.. i say hands down tito is the best manager prob in the past decade... the way he has managed his team.. and larussa cant be that overrated if he lead his team to the playoffs with a lineup of allen craig and john jay starting... and wash ha lead the rangers to a world series apperance last yr and a division title.. who else would you guys consider a top 5 manager? or Gm that i did not name

yaswaggin
09-30-2011, 09:47 PM
how is ruben amaro not a top 5 GM?

possibly the best "big market" gm in the last 5 years

hes traded for cliff lee, doc, oswalt, pence

lee was terrific for us in the postseason when we traded for him

doc has been worth every penny, will win his second cy young this season or come in 2nd

oswalt has been dealing with back issues this season, but he was a huge piece last season after we traded for him in the second half

he signed cliff lee for less $ then the yankees, and hes turned out great. became a top 3 cy young candidate.

pence re-energized our lineup, hes an above average player, not a star, but he is still a major piece

oh and he didnt resign werthless, instead spending the dough on lee, and its turn out to be easily a great decision so far

the only major mistakes RAJ did his tenure was signing ibanez (other then the great first half he had in his 1st season, hes been a bust), and trading lee

GoatMilk
09-30-2011, 09:48 PM
washington batting Young 4th and Napoli 6th makes no sense to me
or even Beltre

Nap outslugged Bautista this year

yaswaggin
09-30-2011, 09:50 PM
oh and what has Scioscia done recently to put him ahead of charlie manuel or joe girardi?

GeekInThePink
09-30-2011, 09:57 PM
or even Beltre

Jose led in SLG%

Tkais9009
09-30-2011, 10:00 PM
LOL at LaRussa being over rated

sox04rR got it pretty much right minus beane + amaro

StayOnBoard
09-30-2011, 10:02 PM
or even Beltre

:confused:

Not if you go by those silly stat things he didn't.

StayOnBoard
09-30-2011, 10:04 PM
AA and Madden, hands Down....

I agree mostly, they're both awesome - though Friedman definitely is more established - let's wait until AA gets us in the post season a few times (still really early in his career by comparison though, and I love what he's done so far). That said, Friedman is the best GM in baseball right now, with AA close behind IMO. Here's hoping we can take that next step this offseason - we're in good hands.

If Andrew Friedman can consistently make the playoffs against the Red Sox and Yankees and Billy Beane can't get past the Angels and Rangers even once in recent years I don't see why they belong in the same conversation.

So true ^

bagwell368
09-30-2011, 10:27 PM
imtalking about managers that managed in the past season.. i say hands down tito is the best manager prob in the past decade... the way he has managed his team.. and larussa cant be that overrated if he lead his team to the playoffs with a lineup of allen craig and john jay starting... and wash ha lead the rangers to a world series apperance last yr and a division title.. who else would you guys consider a top 5 manager? or Gm that i did not name

pffhhh...

Tito was great at dealing with the media, protecting his players, protecting his vets. In Boston that's murder.

However his in game management was often meh. His insistence in not changing line-ups, needing more platooning, taking out SP's too late was all annoying.

And finally, he lost his team, not Pedroia and a few other guys, but most of them went off the reservation and the cliques were bad, and the in game drinking, and the disrespect Lackey showed his fielders and Francona was terrible to see.

Like all Managers he got stale. Time to move on.

GoatMilk
09-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Jose led in SLG%

Napoli doesnt qualify for those batting stats, but in his 369 ABs he slugged .631, more than Bautista

even with the smallish sample size, the guy still has 30 bombs, beltre has 32 after missing a month, i dont understand why Young hits 4th

sox04rR
10-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks you.. The reason girardi is not in the top5 and maybe not top 10 is because any knowledgable person that knows about baseball could lead the Yankee lineup to the postseason. And I thought about amario but I feel like he hasn't drafted well, and he has over payed to resign his players. And the trades they made, I feel like they could have overpaid to aquire some of their players especially pence

yaswaggin
10-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks you.. The reason girardi is not in the top5 and maybe not top 10 is because any knowledgable person that knows about baseball could lead the Yankee lineup to the postseason. And I thought about amario but I feel like he hasn't drafted well, and he has over payed to resign his players. And the trades they made, I feel like they could have overpaid to aquire some of their players especially pence

your right any knowledgable person that knows baseball could lead the yankees to the playoffs because of their lineup :facepalm:

the red sox also had a great lineup, and look where they ended up. dont pull the "injury" card because the phillies had more players who took trips to the DL then the red sox and they won a 102 games, good for the best record in mlb.

also you thought amaro hasnt drafted well? its too soon to say whether his drafts have panned out or not, he took over in the 08-09 season. but anyways he drafted vance worley, who is not just already in the bigs, but should come in second in the NLROY awards.

he overpaid to resign some of his players? other then howard and blanton and lidge, most of the players he resigned are pretty good deals.

howard imo is not worth the money hes being paid, but its not like his contract has been a total bust. hes still one of the top power hitters and his batting average with RISP is one of the reasons we have 102 wins.

blanton has been a shaky deal so far, but again hes been at least productive.
8 mil a year was too much, but blanton was a huge innings eater, he performed clutch in the playoffs, and hes a good chemistry guy in the clubhouse.

lidge was coming off a huge year with 43 saves and no blown saves. injuries slowed him down, it happens.

but look at some of the players he did resign that look good so far:

hamels has been worth every penny, he should get a huge deal soon since his contract is going to end up

victorino has been great so far with his contract

durbin was a very important piece before he left that resigned

ruiz was also a great signing

now the part about overpaying to acquire some players

did they overpay for lee? no

did they overpay for halladay? no

did they overpay for oswalt? no, they gave up happ, gose, and villar. the only player from that deal that may be a good player is gose. happ has been pitching awful since joining houston. oswalt again, was a huge part of our turnaround last season

did they overpay for pence? again no. giving up 2 top 50 players for an above average player with all star potential may be foolish in some people's eyes, but we kept our best pitching prospect, and gave up our best hitting prospect and our second best pitching prospect, and our best hitting prospect was blocked by howard anyways

and we kept dom brown, so overall i like the deal. not to mention singleton decline this year.

Cheezombie
10-01-2011, 03:28 PM

631 SLG vs 608. Napoli hit almost the same amount of HRs in 65% of the PAs.

sexicano31
10-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Washington? Really? Thats like putting charlie Manuel up there

sexicano31
10-01-2011, 03:35 PM
how is ruben amaro not a top 5 GM?

possibly the best "big market" gm in the last 5 years

hes traded for cliff lee, doc, oswalt, pence

lee was terrific for us in the postseason when we traded for him

doc has been worth every penny, will win his second cy young this season or come in 2nd

oswalt has been dealing with back issues this season, but he was a huge piece last season after we traded for him in the second half

he signed cliff lee for less $ then the yankees, and hes turned out great. became a top 3 cy young candidate.

pence re-energized our lineup, hes an above average player, not a star, but he is still a major piece

oh and he didnt resign werthless, instead spending the dough on lee, and its turn out to be easily a great decision so far

the only major mistakes RAJ did his tenure was signing ibanez (other then the great first half he had in his 1st season, hes been a bust), and trading lee

Howard contract is his worst mistake by far

mtf
10-01-2011, 03:58 PM
As a Toronto fan, I am finding it hard to vote for Alex Anthopoulos ahead of Andrew Friedman just because Friedman is further along in his tenure as a General Manager and you can see some of his success'. I do believe Anthopoulos is one of the brightest GM's in baseball and do just as well or better than Friedman has done with the Rays, but it's still just his second year.

The other factor is that the Jays have a higher budget than the Rays and it apparently will be increased in the upcoming seasons, so you have to give Friedman credit for being able to do what he's done with as few resources as he has.

The X
10-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Tito is on the list cause he's a sox fan...