PDA

View Full Version : NBA Stars are UNDERPAID!

daleja424
09-30-2011, 10:46 AM
NEW YORK – When several of the NBA’s biggest stars march into the most important negotiating session in the history of the sport on Friday, there promises to be twisting of truths and fuzzy math and conservative owners determined to deliver themselves a dramatic redistribution of wealth. The biggest lie will go untouched, unchallenged.

Kobe Bryant(notes) and LeBron James(notes), Dwight Howard(notes) and Dwyane Wade(notes) are the most underpaid and undercompensated people in these labor negotiations. They make far too little, and truth be told, most of their teammates make far too much.

For everything they do to drive TV ratings and gate receipts, the global advancement and relentless news coverage, it’s a farce that the elite of the elite have to listen to so many sorry, sloppy owners tell them they deserve rollbacks on present contracts and deserve future ones to be slashed. These stars are the NBA. They’re everything.

Nowhere in sports is the superstar more vital than basketball, because the ball’s forever in the star’s hands and a singular talent has the most transformational impact. Let owners bid on the true value the elite stars bring to a franchise, to the league, and Wade was asked where he believes the bidding would rise per season?

“I’m sure it would get to $50 million,” Wade told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday afternoon.

He’s right, and there’s still a compelling case that it wouldn’t properly compensate what a Kobe Bryant, a LeBron James, even means far beyond his own team. Privately, Jerry Buss has told people that Bryant – who will make a league-high $25 million this season under his current contract terms – is worth perhaps $70 million a year to the Los Angeles Lakers. James has been the most prodigious talent – the compelling serial character – the sport’s manufactured. This list is short, but the impact is immense. This is the largely unspoken truism of labor talks: The superstars are wildly underpaid, and the largely interchangeable rank-and-file players make far too much money.

“In terms of driving revenue, if the NBA had no cap, the compensation would be totally different,” Wade said. “Like baseball, where they have no cap, you see the players that they feel fill arenas, that people come out to see, A-Rod, those kind of guys, look at how much money they make on their deals.

“You’ve got guys – starting with Michael Jordan, Shaquille O’Neal(notes), and Kobe and LeBron – all players that individually people wanted to come to see. And wanted to just have a glimpse, just one glimpse, to be able to say that I’ve seen that person play. For what they’ve done for the game, what they’ve done for organizations, I don’t think you can really put a dollar amount on it.”

Before planning to stay for Friday’s labor meeting with ownership, Wade had been here promoting a product called Court Grip that he played a part in researching and refining. Players wipe it on the bottom of their sneakers, a traction formula that allows solid footing and sharp cuts even on the dustiest and dirtiest of gymnasium floors. Truth be told, the NBA gives Wade and his peers an unparalleled stage for these kind of endorsements, so yes, the ability to earn outside money comes as a direct byproduct of the NBA’s machine.

Nevertheless, the league’s proposal to curb salary includes a combination of cutting into future deals and rolling back current ones. The league doesn’t want max contracts that go beyond $20 million a year anymore, but privately owners and executives know those superstar deals are the biggest bargain in the NBA. The owners are chasing the salaries on everyone else, and that’s why the union exists. That’s why Bryant and James and, yes, Dwyane Wade understand that the fight has to be bigger than themselves.

In the end, the NBA is a one-man, one-vote labor membership. Why are Roger Mason(notes) and Maurice Evans(notes) such important voices on the Players Associations’ executive committee? Because they’re mostly representative of the everyman in the union. They’re forever fighting to keep guaranteed contracts, to keep some semblance of security. They need the stars to get them there, to hold the line on the powerful owners.

“We understand the position we’re in,” Wade said. “This whole labor thing for us is about the game, about all the players in the game. Not just the top tier, not just the lower tier. All the players. We’re all wrapped up in together. They need us, just like we need them on our teams.”

So much of this labor fight is constructed around those Miami Heat, the sudden concentration of talent glomming together on big-market teams. As one owner told Yahoo! Sports this summer, “We don’t want a league where there are four or five great teams, and the rest of us are the Washington Generals.” That’s an exaggeration, but make no mistake: The formation of the Heat galvanized so many owners, despite the fact that they all prospered financially with the hype, the sellouts, everything that came with James, Wade and the Heat.

Such loathing and disdain those Heat inspired, and it wasn’t until Wade climbed onto that smoky stage with James and Chris Bosh(notes) at the July 2010 fan party that the original Heat star became a target of scorn right along with James. Asked if he regretted the visual that came to embody the excesses of these Heat, Wade had a touch of defiance still in his voice.

“I think people used that as an excuse,” Wade said. “If you wanted that to be an excuse, they used it as one. To us – and I would do it all over again – we were celebrating for our community. We celebrated for Miami.”

It happened to be the start of everything together for the Heat, the most peculiar and wild ride the sport’s ever witnessed. They stood there together in July, posing, preening and made it all the way until that Game 6 loss to the Dallas Mavericks in the NBA Finals. Every day, Wade and James marched together into the interview rooms, talking side by side in a most symbolic showing.

“No matter what, me and LeBron were going to show a united front,” Wade said. “I don’t care what you say about him, or what you say about me, I don’t care what you say about the Miami Heat. We’re together. And we’re the leaders of this team. We’re going to show, win or lose, that we still believe, still trust in each other.”

Now, Wade and James could be together on Friday in the negotiating session with David Stern and all those owners that resent the Heat, resent Pat Riley, and yet deep down understand this: As much as anyone, they are the NBA. They’re the sport. These owners can cry poverty, insist they deserve a bigger cut of the revenue, but they won’t be the most unjustly compensated men in the room.

Perhaps people don’t want to hear it, but Dwyane Wade and LeBron James and Kobe Bryant promise to take the biggest hit of all in these negotiations.

No one needs to feel sorry for them, but fair is fair. Everyone else is expendable, interchangeable, but the stars changed everything in the NBA. Fifty million dollars a season? For them, a start anyway.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_dwyane_wade_nba_lockout_093011

I have been saying this for a long time. People say that the players are overpaid, but in a free market these guys would make 2-3 times what they make right now!!! The impact that a Kobe Bryant has on the books is CRAZY!

juno10
09-30-2011, 10:49 AM
i agree derozan is underpaid.

Shmontaine
09-30-2011, 10:52 AM
.... eh, no... they talk about two guys, probably the best two players in the league over the past decade... that's not indicative of the current situation... and you completely miss the part of the article you bolded yourself

the largely interchangeable rank-and-file players make far too much money

the cba isn't about the superstars, it's about the everyone else making way too much money...

everyone knows this already... nobody has EVER said kobe and lebron are overpaid... it's to stop the non-kobe's and non-lebron's from making kobe and lebron type money... the real superstars get paid more through endorsements anyhow...

da ThRONe
09-30-2011, 10:54 AM
This is what happens when you put a cap on max dollars of contracts and have a guarenteed BRI split. The money has to go some where.

tcav701
09-30-2011, 10:56 AM
UNDERPAID???

These guys get GUARANTEED contracts that cripple teams. Sure the consistent stars have a case for being underpaid but MAX deals are more often regrets than they are rewarding.

Incentive based contracts would give the best of both worlds where TRUE STARS could make more than the league max in bonuses and fringe stars would be forced to contribute and EARN their max deals.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2011, 11:07 AM
the complete superstars are underpaid, but everyone else is overpaid, hence why 22 teams are losing money. The LeBron's, Dwight's, Wade's, are underpaid of course for what they produce. But 95% of the league is overpaid for what they produce, hence the losses in the league

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-30-2011, 11:08 AM
i agree derozan is underpaid.

dont know if you are being sarcastic or not, but derozan is not a superstar.

tcav701
09-30-2011, 11:10 AM
So Lebron, Wade and Bosh are gonna complain about being underpaid when they took LESS money to play together?

They should have been aware they were giving up that right.....

LakersIn5
09-30-2011, 11:15 AM
there should be no salary cap in the NBA and team can sign players to as much as they want to! LOL

beasted86
09-30-2011, 11:16 AM
the cba isn't about the superstars, it's about the everyone else making way too much money...

everyone knows this already... nobody has EVER said kobe and lebron are overpaid... it's to stop the non-kobe's and non-lebron's from making kobe and lebron type money... the real superstars get paid more through endorsements anyhow...

Any regulations they make will hurt superstar contracts as well though... and under the new CBA nothing prevents owners from still overpaying players. All that will change is more escape clauses from the bad contracts they do sign.

da ThRONe
09-30-2011, 11:23 AM
UNDERPAID???

These guys get GUARANTEED contracts that cripple teams. Sure the consistent stars have a case for being underpaid but MAX deals are more often regrets than they are rewarding.

Incentive based contracts would give the best of both worlds where TRUE STARS could make more than the league max in bonuses and fringe stars would be forced to contribute and EARN their max deals.

How so? Most max deals go to guys like Garnett, Bryant, Duncan, James once in a generation guys.

Shmontaine
09-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Any regulations they make will hurt superstar contracts as well though... and under the new CBA nothing prevents owners from still overpaying players. All that will change is more escape clauses from the bad contracts they do sign.

well yeah, that's what comes with the territory, there are no seperation among the players - title wise (ie, bench player pay, starter pay, star pay, superstar pay) maybe there should be... the players that were paid superstar/star money and didn't live up to their end of the deal have hurt the rest of the players... that's been the issue the entire time here...

what do you think the players would like more --- no cap and no guaranteed contracts?? or a cap with guaranteed money?? IMO they take the latter every time...

Punk
09-30-2011, 11:28 AM
They are underpaid but It's more due to the fact the league isn't as wide spread and a top 2 sport.

For example, "Max" contracts like Joe Johnson, Amare, Rudy Gay are all considered regular to normal contracts to the MLB salary.

So, they are underpaid but it won't change. You can't get more money either and most of these overseas teams can't even come up with 5 million for a guy like Kobe, then people need to appreciate the salaries they get here in the NBA.

beasted86
09-30-2011, 11:30 AM
well yeah, that's what comes with the territory, there are no seperation among the players - title wise (ie, bench player pay, starter pay, star pay, superstar pay) maybe there should be... the players that were paid superstar/star money and didn't live up to their end of the deal have hurt the rest of the players... that's been the issue the entire time here...

what do you think the players would like more --- no cap and no guaranteed contracts?? or a cap with guaranteed money?? IMO they take the latter every time...

I don't think either makes a difference.

If the system allowed it, players would be willing to sign non-guaranteed contracts if they could get a huge signing bonus to compensate.

JNA17
09-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Underpaid? These guys get paid millions upon millions to put a ball in a basket.

tcav701
09-30-2011, 11:46 AM
How so? Most max deals go to guys like Garnett, Bryant, Duncan, James once in a generation guys.

Or to Joe Johnson, Rashard Lewis, Arenas, Boozer, ect.

FA max deals are more often busts.

ne3xchamps
09-30-2011, 11:47 AM
You can't be serious with this thread. Can you?

Andrew32
09-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Big Laugh at any idiot who thinks NBA Players especially the Stars are underpaid.

We are talking about people making upwards of 10 million a year to play their favorite sport.

The Average Mo makes 30-80k a year.

so ridiculous... they are overpaid by a large amount.
This is how NBA players should be paid.

Low Level Roleplayers - 40-60k a year
Mid Level Roleplayers 80-200k a year
Elite Roleplayers - 200-500k a year
Low Level Stars - 1-2 Million
Mid Level Stars - 3 Million
High Level Stars 3-5 Million

oh and lets not forget that 99% of the High Level Stars are probably getting another 10-20 Million on endorsements to go together with their ridiculously high salarys.

Shmontaine
09-30-2011, 11:58 AM

If the system allowed it, players would be willing to sign non-guaranteed contracts if they could get a huge signing bonus to compensate.

yeah, but those big signing bonuses only seem to really benefit the rooks who haven't played a game yet... as i assume you're likening this to NFL...

for superstars like Kobe, LJ, D12 etc. getting a 50 or 60 Mill signing bonus on a six year deal isn't that big of a deal, they would be getting that money anyway...

to be fair, Booz wasn't a max deal... still overpaid, but not max..

Andrew32
09-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Its a societal problem.

There is no reasonable explanation for why Actors/Musicians/Rap Stars (Actors)/and Athletes should be paid so much more then the average job.

I can understand them being paid more but not the ridiculous salary's so many of them command.

BuddhaMONK
09-30-2011, 12:08 PM
these guys make millions of dollars, and yes they are underpaid because they bring in a hell of alot more revenue than they make. Without the players there wouldn't be fans...

da ThRONe
09-30-2011, 12:09 PM

Joe Johnson is overpaid, but far from a bust and Arenas was hampered by injuries.

This is four examples. Some max deals are guys being over paid, but the majority of max deals are guys who are great.

Shmontaine
09-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Big Laugh at any idiot who thinks NBA Players especially the Stars are underpaid.

We are talking about people making upwards of 10 million a year to play their favorite sport.

oh and lets not forget that 99% of the High Level Stars are probably getting another 10-20 Million on endorsements to go together with their ridiculously high salarys.

okay, for someone who thinks nba players are grossly overpaid, this is ridiculous... go to any job that requires the amount of travel that these guys are forced to do and you're looking at 100K+ min... truck drivers, sales and marketing agents... they all are compensated for the 'abnormal' life their job requires... most people go home at 5 everyday...

also, there are billions of dollars being generated by these players, and they deserve to make at the very least, a percentage of the business that is generated from their play...

Its a societal problem.

There is no reasonable explanation for why Actors/Musicians/Rap Stars (Actors)/and Athletes should be paid so much more then the average job.

I can understand them being paid more but not the ridiculous salary's so many of them command.

ever hear of this idea called supply and demand?? there are very few sports stars and movie stars that generate enormous interest from millions of 'average americans'... these areas in life are, and always have been, a way for the everyday man to escape his life (whether through movies or sports) and enjoy themselves...

and yeah, it's reasonable for people who are an avenue of entertainment to millions to be compensated as such... and again, their salaries are in line with the amount of revenue generated from their work..

whitemamba33
09-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Its a societal problem.

Well I think that the fact that they generate hundreds of millions of dollars more than "the average job" is a pretty fair explanation as to why they get paid more. How important is any individual worker to a job? I don't know where you work, but do you by yourself generate hundreds of millions of dollars for the company you work at every year? I know I certainly don't.

If a rapper does a world tour, sells out every arena of 50000-75000 fans each..where is the revenue going to go? If they were being paid like it was an "average job", then the rapper would make maybe 75-100 thousand for the yearlong tour. So now what the hell do they do with the other hundreds of millions of dollars that has been generated from the tour?

It's not a matter of whether or not they work as hard as the average employee, or how important or unimportant there job is. But if people are going to be responsible for driving in that kind of money, they are going to get a bigger slice of the pie.

Don't get me confused, I don't like it and I don't agree with it. But I understand why they get what they get....I just get REALLY annoyed when they complain about it. And unless you start discussing some kind of "cap" on how much any worker in America is allowed to make per year, which would be a very controversial topic, there is no real way around it.

whitemamba33
09-30-2011, 12:27 PM

Ok...so where does all the extra revenue go? lol You just knocked down Kobe Bryant from 25 million this season to 5 million. What are you going to do with that extra 20 million dollars? Give it to the owner? Are they underpaid? Do they deserve it more than the players?

Anybody you decide to give the money to will deserve it less than the players. Let's face it: the best we can do is hope that players do something GOOD with the money...and a lot of players do.

Andrew32
09-30-2011, 12:50 PM
The Extra Money should be used to create Jobs in NBA arenas or something I dunno.

Shouldn't just buy more Yachts for the athletes or owners.

And how is 5 Million a year not enough money for a Star like Kobe?
Does he really deserve to be an 100+ millionaire?

5 Million is more then 99% make in their lifetimes.

daleja424
09-30-2011, 12:51 PM
Its a societal problem.

Are you dense? Of course there is a reason. IT IS BUSINESS! When you make more money, you earn more money.

Are you kidding me with this? Wade doesn't make 20 million b/c "he puts a ball through a hole," he makes 20 million b/c people pay through the butt to see him do it and buy his gear...

When the "average job" starts making hundreds of millions of dollars and when you can sell an average workmans uniform with your name on it to millions of people, then your average job WILL be paying millions.

WOW to some of you complaining about the money these guys make.

You start single handedly making your coorperation 100s of millions of dollars and then tell me how much you should be paid... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

da ThRONe
09-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Yeah I don't know how people ignore the fact that these guys generally create billions of dollars in revenue out of no where. They are the actual product, but some how they aren't worth the money their talent generates.

If you have a problem with NBA revenue collected stop giving it to them. Otherwise stop complaining.

Andrew32
09-30-2011, 12:54 PM
I vote everyone on PSD stops watching NBA until the salarys for players and owners are cut by 50%.

it is the only solution.

daleja424
09-30-2011, 12:54 PM
also, some of you are confused.

Wade is NOT complaining. Adrian W asked him a point blank question and he answered it, simply saying that he could probably make 50 million on the open market...

Wade did not bring this up... it was a direct question from Adrian b/c Adrian was writing an article about it.

daleja424
09-30-2011, 12:55 PM
I vote everyone on PSD stops watching NBA until the salarys for players and owners are cut by 50%.

it is the only solution.

I vote for you to leave PSD... this is America right?

Andrew32
09-30-2011, 12:58 PM
I vote for you to leave PSD... this is America right?

Why you mad though? :clap:

This seems to really bother you, are you secretly Derek Fisher?

daleja424
09-30-2011, 01:03 PM
B/c this is America. In America, you get to keep your earnings. We don't pile all the earnings into a pot and divide them evenly...

In America, if you are worth millions, you get paid millions.

You want the NBA to collude to lower players salaries... and why? B/c its not fair that you live some impovished life... get real.

If being an NBA superstar that makes millions is no different than your average job, why not just join the NBA. Go ahead...this is America... go ahead and try. Tell me how easy it is...

Andrew32
09-30-2011, 01:07 PM
I dont have a problem with the players getting paid what they want and since your right about them generating that revenue they probably deserve it.

However I see something wrong with Athletes/Actors/Musicians making so much more then the average person.

It does anger me I guess that even if I dedicated myself to go to Med School and become some sort of doctor or I became a lawyer or no matter how hard I worked my salary would probably pale in comparison to 90% of NBA players.

Its not my fault I wasn't born with a body capable of playing NBA Ball but when you do you get rewarded with such ridiculous salary's.

NBA shouldnt generate so much renevue and neither should actors. its complicated.

The way out country is setup 1% of the population controls the majority of the wealth and I think there is something inherently wrong with that.

whitemamba33
09-30-2011, 01:17 PM
I dont have a problem with the players getting paid what they want and since your right about them generating that revenue they probably deserve it.

However I see something wrong with Athletes/Actors/Musicians making so much more then the average person.

It does anger me I guess that even if I dedicated myself to go to Med School and become some sort of doctor or I became a lawyer or no matter how hard I worked my salary would probably pale in comparison to 90% of NBA players.

Its not my fault I wasn't born with a body capable of playing NBA Ball but when you do you get rewarded with such ridiculous salary's.

NBA shouldnt generate so much renevue and neither should actors. its complicated.

The way out country is setup 1% of the population controls the majority of the wealth and I think there is something inherently wrong with that.

When you were a little kid and you said "this isn't fair"...didn't anyone ever reply "life isn't fair!"...? If they didn't, they should of, because it's not.

Andrew32
09-30-2011, 01:18 PM
When you were a little kid and you said "this isn't fair"...didn't anyone ever reply "life isn't fair!"...? If they didn't, they should of, because it's not.

Haha very true, good point man but I still cant help but clench my fists sometimes and say it inside my head. :p

Shmontaine
09-30-2011, 01:30 PM

again, man.. supply and demand...

there are a lot of doctors in the country...

add the number of pr athletes/musicians/actors and it's a couple thousand.... that's out of almost 400 million americans... how much attention do the aforementioned people garnish??

if you don't understand how and why they make so much, no one can help you... and you should go back to doing something millions of people can do, and keep wondering... or do something else that may garner more attention and money...

daleja424
09-30-2011, 01:31 PM

...and its not the janitor's fault that you were born with a higher propensity for learning than him...

People are not all the same. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. If your strength put you in a position to make millions a year I doubt you would forgo that.

This country has always been that way. It is the American way. If you don't like it, you should move to a socialist country...

PrettyBoyJ
09-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Players do get paid a ridiculous amount of money but that's how this life is... Teachers barely make anything but the educate the youth and future leaders of the world, Doctors dont make as much as NBA players but they save lives everyday and they perform the surgeries needed for when players are hurt.. Life isn't fair but if these players think their underpaid top tier or not they should take a look at what the person who cleans their house look like.. Just saying :-/

MrfadeawayJB
09-30-2011, 01:37 PM
I guess they will take less to play against the best competition in the world and be in front of thier own people (speaking of american born players). Plus take into account the major endorsements they get. Whats a million or two dollars when you already have that much anyways?

Fnom11
09-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Players do get paid a ridiculous amount of money but that's how this life is... Teachers barely make anything but the educate the youth and future leaders of the world, Doctors dont make as much as NBA players but they save lives everyday and they perform the surgeries needed for when players are hurt.. Life isn't fair but if these players think their underpaid top tier or not they should take a look at what the person who cleans their house look like.. Just saying :-/

I agree with you on the doctors part but that's why most doctors are HIGHLY compensated if they're good at their jobs.

Teachers on the other hand don't require anything. You can have the IQ of a 5th grader and still be a teacher. You literally have a set agenda passed down by the government(state) telling you what to teach the kids.

Most basketball players dedicate their whole lives to the sport. At least they have actual talent and worked extremely hard to get to their position.

If you want to cry about how unfair the world is, complain about the Kardashians, the Paris Hiltons, the Charlie Sheens, and the other thousands of people who lack any sense of the word talent and have acquired millions on dollars for being exactly what they are, retards.

Rego247
09-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Underpaid or Overpaid. Either way i'm not sympathetic to the financial plight of millionaires.

Bruno
09-30-2011, 05:50 PM
the complete superstars are underpaid, but everyone else is overpaid, hence why 22 teams are losing money. The LeBron's, Dwight's, Wade's, are underpaid of course for what they produce. But 95% of the league is overpaid for what they produce, hence the losses in the league

x2.

Bruno
09-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Underpaid or Overpaid. Either way i'm not sympathetic to the financial plight of millionaires.

In this scenario there is no supporting of "the little guy". Unless you want a true compromise, you either support the millionaires, or the billionaires. Personally, I'd be more inclined to feel sympathetic towards the base of players who have earned less than 5-10 million dollars in their career, than billionaire owners who's great-grand children will never have to work a day in their lives :shrug:

Fresno
09-30-2011, 06:17 PM

Very true.

DieHardCubFan
09-30-2011, 06:32 PM
boo hoo, i would love to get paid millions of dollars for what i love to do. they are getting greedy

xxplayerxx23
09-30-2011, 07:33 PM
under paied are you ****en serious??? Millions of dollars to play basketball. Come on they are the luckiest people in the world. I love basketball I play it all the time. I do it for free, Imagen getting payed to do something you love. Seriously With all the money problems going around in the world and you wanna try and say there underpayed gtfoh

daleja424
09-30-2011, 07:55 PM
This article clearly went right over your head... or you didn't even bother to try to read it...

xxplayerxx23
09-30-2011, 08:11 PM
This article clearly went right over your head... or you didn't even bother to try to read it...

Im assuming u mean Me, Yeah Im a lazy bastard, Just jumped on the name of the thread lol :o:o:o:o:o:o:o

heyman321
09-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Im assuming u mean Me, Yeah Im a lazy bastard, Just jumped on the name of the thread lol :o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Lmao. The superstars are definitely underpaid. But it's the scrubs like Rashard Lewis or Joe Johnson that are examples of why the CBA needs change. Also, how washed up players like Jermaine O'Neal, Michael Redd, Rip Hamilton are still get 10-12 mil a year needs to be changed. That's why not all contracts should be guaranteed. If you started slacking in an office job, you'd get your *** fired, it should be the same in pro sports.