PDA

View Full Version : Boston, the city, deserved better

Mr Haha
09-29-2011, 06:27 PM
As a Yankees fan, I'm a bit surprised by how I feel today after the Red Sox collapse. Even though I am born and bred to despise those scruffy Sawx, I can't help but feel sorry for a dedicated, informed and passionate fanbase.

And why is that?

Tropicana Field only seats about 34,000. Where have the fans been on this historic ride? They pull off the greatest comeback in regular season history, and they can hardly fill half of the place.

Gotta feel for the city of Boston right now.

North Yorker
09-29-2011, 06:28 PM
LOL

I dont feel sorry for them at all.

Their city has been racking up the championships for the past decade in the 4 major sports, they're spoiled

DodgerB24
09-29-2011, 06:33 PM
To be honest, I don't feel sorry for them at all.

Tragedy
09-29-2011, 06:34 PM
A bitter end to a pathetic month for the Sox. I don't feel bad though. The team screwed themselves, plain and simple.

But yeah, it's pathetic that the Rays can't even fill the stadium. They've got one hell of a team, they should relocate.

Mr Haha
09-29-2011, 06:38 PM
A bitter end to a pathetic month for the Sox. I don't feel bad though. The team screwed themselves, plain and simple.

But yeah, it's pathetic that the Rays can't even fill the stadium. They've got one hell of a team, they should relocate.

I don't know how you could possibly field a better team every year with Tampa's payroll. They are an excellent organization and deserve a fan base that will at least show up.

Khri
09-29-2011, 06:39 PM
:facepalm:

WolvesJagsOs
09-29-2011, 06:40 PM
I agree about the whole Tampa Bay Rays fanbase ordeal.

But on the Sox part of it, i dont feel sorry for them at all.

Smaxor5
09-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Why would i feel bad for a bunch of loud mouth bandwagon fans? I went to bc the last 4 years as a yankee fan and most boston fans were pretty much jerks. That being said, im VERY greatful for the 2007 Giants, 2009 Yankees and 2011 Rays.

Tragedy
09-29-2011, 06:41 PM
I don't know how you could possibly field a better team every year with Tampa's payroll. They are an excellent organization and deserve a fan base that will at least show up.
No doubt. my jaw dropped when I saw some empty seats yesterday. That's a real shame.

keymax
09-29-2011, 06:42 PM
So you're saying the Rays have no chance to hoist this year's attendance trophy? :(
And there will be no parade?

Mr Haha

Care to elaborate on this already extremely insightful post?

Nips
Good Gawd another misinformed attendence Rays thread

1) There's 6 million people in Boston, Theres 3 million in Tampa Bay

2) The economy is far worse down in the South than any other part of the country

3) St Pete is the worse place you could possibly put a team. Tampa will build a stadium in Tampa in the next 5 years and their attendance will double just because of location

4) NY, Boston, Oakland etc.. all have subways, trains, trams etc all going directly to the stadium... Tropicana does not

When you look at "per capita" The Rays attendance is better than most baseball stadiums.. when you factor in the population in the Tampa area vs NY and Boston.. its a higher attendance # than both those cities

Tragedy
09-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Why would i feel bad for a bunch of loud mouth bandwagon fans? I went to bc the last 4 years as a yankee fan and most boston fans were pretty much jerks. That being said, im VERY greatful for the 2007 Giants, 2009 Yankees and 2011 Rays.
Yeah, because all Red Sox fans are loud mouth bandwagon fans. We have no true fans.:facepalm:

I guess what you're saying is that the Yankees don't have an incredible bandwagon fanbase? How often do I see random people walking down the streets wearing the Yankees gear just to look cool?

Mr Haha
09-29-2011, 06:45 PM

2) The economy is far worse down in the South than any other part of the country

3) St Pete is the worse place you could possibly put a team. Tampa will build a stadium in Tampa in the next 5 years and their attendance will double just because of location

4) NY, Boston, Oakland etc.. all have subways, trains, trams etc all going directly to the stadium... Tropicana does not

When you look at "per capita" The Rays attendance is better than most baseball stadiums.. when you factor in the population in the Tampa area vs NY and Boston.. its a higher attendance # than both those cities

They are a major league baseball team that just pulled off the greatest regular season upset in history, and at the defining game, half of their miniature stadium was empty. Are you really saying they don't have an attendance problem?

sep11ie
09-29-2011, 06:46 PM
I don't feel sorry for'em AT ALL...

fadedmario
09-29-2011, 06:51 PM
200 million dollar payroll and we haven't won a World Series since 1984 - sorry, but I don't feel sorry for them a bit.

UofA
09-29-2011, 06:53 PM
It helps heal the memories of the Mets collapses in 07 & 08 so I say **** 'em

Mr Haha
09-29-2011, 06:54 PM
200 million dollar payroll and we haven't won a World Series since 1984 - sorry, but I don't feel sorry for them a bit.

A high payroll isn't the fans fault. I've come to respect Boston fans for their passion and intensity, though there is nothing I love more than seeing the Yanks put a hurt on them.

Nymfan87
09-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Yeah, those Boston sports fans are really deprived between the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins.

seikou8
09-29-2011, 06:58 PM
boston is a good team they will be back they need make some changes but i believe now everyone thinks this is 3 team dvsion tampa is no more underdog;)

runnermjr1296
09-29-2011, 07:03 PM
I agree about the rays and their attendance,but believe me I bathed in bostons misery this morning!

fadedmario
09-29-2011, 07:03 PM
A high payroll isn't the fans fault. I've come to respect Boston fans for their passion and intensity, though there is nothing I love more than seeing the Yanks put a hurt on them.

I like most Boston fans on here - I just don't feel sorry for them.

R. Johnson#3
09-29-2011, 07:05 PM
As a Yankees fan, I'm a bit surprised by how I feel today after the Red Sox collapse. Even though I am born and bred to despise those scruffy Sawx, I can't help but feel sorry for a dedicated, informed and passionate fanbase.

And why is that?

Tropicana Field only seats about 34,000. Where have the fans been on this historic ride? They pull off the greatest comeback in regular season history, and they can hardly fill half of the place.

Yup, gotta feel for Boston right now after the couple hundred millions of dollars they spent in the off-season........

ricomactaco
09-29-2011, 07:08 PM

First of all, I dont understand this(the sox payroll was below 170 mill and last won a WS in 2007). As a Red sox fan I am disappointed but the Rays deserved to make it. My team played like trash and with no heart. Hopefully they will make intelligent moves in the offseason and dont overreact by throwing money at the problem.

ne3xchamps
09-29-2011, 07:10 PM
So you're saying the Rays have no chance to hoist this year's attendance trophy? :(
And there will be no parade?

I didn't even think if they miraculously won the world series. There would be about 5,000 people at the victory parade. Tampa should be disgusted with themselves. the product the rays put out there, and don't even show up to games. Tampa the TEAM deserves to be in the playoffs, but Tampa the CITY doesn't deserve ****! Especially not ANY professional sports team. I don't know how they keep doing it with no ticket sales. If Tampa relocated, they could end up having a big payroll too with ticket sales and revenue.

ne3xchamps
09-29-2011, 07:15 PM
I like most Boston fans on here - I just don't feel sorry for them.

You shouldn't feel bad for us. some of the younger fans are WAY too spoiled with the championships as of late. they don't remember that in the 90's all NE teams sucked. I've dealt with worse disappointment, and I'm still alive.

fadedmario
09-29-2011, 07:15 PM
My wife grew up in St. Pete and is a huge Rays/Buccaneers fan. That being said - I've been down there a few times and people talk quite a bit about those two teams. But for whatever reason they don't show up to support the Rays very well.

fadedmario
09-29-2011, 07:16 PM
You shouldn't feel bad for us. some of the younger fans are WAY too spoiled with the championships as of late. they don't remember that in the 90's all NE teams sucked. I've dealt with worse disappointment, and I'm still alive.

:cheers:

Ladies Man
09-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Why would i feel bad for them?! Im a cubs fan and i only feel sorry for myself!

ne3xchamps
09-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Why would i feel bad for them?! Im a cubs fan and i only feel sorry for myself!

right on man! I don't think anyone would be pissed if the cubs won a world series. Its not like the yanks or sox.

:cheers: for keeping the faith!

gotoHcarolina52
09-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Buck Foston

09-29-2011, 07:20 PM
They got exactly what they deserve.

ne3xchamps
09-29-2011, 07:22 PM
They got exactly what they deserve.

so much hate. Its all good man. I'm not mad. By the way who do you have to root for after baseball season? Just curious.

Both the gmen and the jets play in NJ, so they technically aren't a NY team.

BluejaysFan08
09-29-2011, 07:39 PM

And why is that?

Your name describes this thread....losing is apart of sports, all cities need to taste some defeat.

RTL
09-29-2011, 07:41 PM
I thought this was going to be about Ben Affleck!

Mell413
09-29-2011, 07:42 PM
I don't really feel sorry for them. I'm a Cubs fan. Enough said. I like the Red Sox fans on here, but I don't feel bad for them. They have had 2 world series titles in the last 8 years

Smaxor5
09-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Yeah, because all Red Sox fans are loud mouth bandwagon fans. We have no true fans.:facepalm:

I guess what you're saying is that the Yankees don't have an incredible bandwagon fanbase? How often do I see random people walking down the streets wearing the Yankees gear just to look cool?

Im sorry where did I said that Boston has no true fans? I'm friends with a lot of true fans like myself and they are great but the majority of people i meet are pink hatters. And TRUST ME, i hate most yankee fans because you're right, they are dumbass bandwagon fans who dont know ****....but they dont treat me like **** so i guess i cant hate them too much lol. Get my drift?

CHRISDODGERS
09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Nahh.

keymax
http://offwing.com/images/2002-WNBA-attendance-champions-banner.jpg

I haven't seen a MLB team raise a banner like that yet. But it seems to make everybody feel better to belittle the Rays.

carson005
Speak for yourself.

KingsPhillies
09-29-2011, 07:57 PM

Well said.

Losing is a part of sports; if you can't handle that, then you shouldn't even bother having favorite teams. A lot of younger fans need to accept this. I think that's the reason why there seem to be so many bandwagon fans these days for the teams that are perennially successful or stockpile star players...the young'ins don't seem to handle losing very well. That's the only thing I dislike about the Phillies' recent success: bandwagon fans. All of us older, life-long fans have had to deal with losing and heartbreak for so long that the recent success, to us, is sweet as honey. Then you have these bandwagon fans, who know little-to-nothing about the franchise, talking crap and making the real fans look bad. I know Boston has the same problem.

So, all-in-all, I don't feel sorry for Boston fans at all. Just like no one will feel sorry for me if the Phils have some sort of epic collapse in the postseason(knock on wood)...and I wouldn't expect them to.

Mr Haha
09-29-2011, 08:07 PM
Speak for yourself.

I did.

MelanconMadness
09-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Dont feel sorry for the Sox, or their fans, I feel bad for the Rays players, and the fans that do actually care, but get put into the group that arent there

Sadds The Gr8
09-29-2011, 08:14 PM
i dont feel bad for them at all i'm happy they lost.

Dr Cyanide 28
09-29-2011, 08:17 PM
mr haha you have made a few threads these past few days that i am in full support of your opinion (peyton manning thread, this thread) i do believe that it is unfortunate that such as the red sox nation had to go through that epic collapse, but it is what it is. its apart of the game, the fans either will need to get past it (they will no doubt) or find a different sport or leaves sports all together. Only 1 team out of 32 end the year being the champions, everything else, to me, is a failure to reach the true goal. there are small victories sure, but in the end, all that matters is who pulls in the trophy on the last game.

NJRaiderSoxFan
09-29-2011, 08:29 PM
even tho i know theres no facts to what im saying, how many breaks did the rays get and how many strange mishaps happened to the sox these last couple of weeks....its like the rays were destined to make the playoffs

NJRaiderSoxFan
09-29-2011, 08:32 PM
also, living in nj i hear all the yankee fans saying how happy they are bc boston had the biggest collapse in history...

sorry but that still goes to you guys and probably will never be topped, '04 YANKS

Super.
09-29-2011, 08:33 PM

The 90's ****ing SUCKED

j-bay
09-29-2011, 08:34 PM
tampa are band wagon fans an example of this is the lightning. When the bolts are losing the stadium is half empty, but when they are in the playoff the stadium is full

NYY NYJ NYK
09-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Feel bad for Boston. hahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

Went out and celebrate last night after their loss.

Couldn't of happened to a better city

j-bay
09-29-2011, 08:37 PM
You know i'm a true sox fan i started watching the sox in 02 when we were a losing team

Eagles4Lyfe
09-29-2011, 08:38 PM
CHoke job aside a few of us actually predicted the rays to make the playoffs over the sox or yankees. It's not and shouldn't even be that shocking

otwisted
09-29-2011, 08:42 PM

Really? NY is bandwagon central, people jump aboard whichever one of your 8 teams is winning at the time. One week they're Jets fans and the next its the Giants who are kings of NY.

MetsFanatic19
09-29-2011, 08:43 PM
the mets were bombarded with insults when they collapsed in 07 and 08. no f***ing i feel bad for boston or atlanta right now

KingPosey
09-29-2011, 08:46 PM
It sucks when your team should easily make the playoffs and doesnt, Im a Giants fan so I should know, but i dont feel sorry for them. They are kinda spoiled and cocky.

I actually loved watching The BoSox, and even more so The Braves just fold like a couple of choke artists and lose out.

And the Rays need to send the Yankees a box of chocolates, they let them into the playoffs.

KingPosey
09-29-2011, 08:51 PM
You know i'm a true sox fan i started watching the sox in 02 when we were a losing team

haha yep, you guys barely squeeked out 93 measily games that year! lol when was the last time Boston even had a losing season, 98, 97?

Raps18-19 Champ
09-29-2011, 08:53 PM
You can't feel sorry since they failed on their own.

Randy Marsh
09-29-2011, 09:00 PM
I understand why you wouldn't feel bad for the Red Sox or our city after our 7 combined championships, but we lost in some awful ways too.

07-08 Superbowl- heavily favored Patriots lose to Giants when going for perfect season/ 09-10 NHL playoffs- Bruins lose four straight to Flyers with 3-0 lead/ 09-10 NBA Finals- Celtics lose seventh game of Finals after leading by 10 at halftime/ 09 MLB playoffs- Jonathan Papelbon blows save when trying to extend ALDS, gives up four straight hits/ 11 MLB Season- Red Sox blow huge lead in wild card and fail to make it to the playoffs

Our winning covers this all up, but we're still losers deep down there. I'm not trying to say that you should be sad for us, cause that would be stupid. But we go through as much pain as other cities do and even more sometimes.

dtmagnet
09-29-2011, 09:04 PM
I don't feel sorry for any fanbase ever, there is no such thing as fans "deserving" anything. In sports the best teams go to the playoffs and Tampa and New York were better this year.

jray42
09-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Bruins won this past season.
Sox won in 04 & 07
Patriots won multiple SB's this decade.

I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Pittz
09-29-2011, 09:16 PM
I feel sorry for me.

Nips
09-29-2011, 09:22 PM
They are a major league baseball team that just pulled off the greatest regular season upset in history, and at the defining game, half of their miniature stadium was empty. Are you really saying they don't have an attendance problem?

If one team has 6 million in population

And another has 3 million in population

A 2nd grader can figure out the 6 million population will draw a bigger crowd

If anybody has a hard time understanding this concept- I will draw in crayon

2009mvp
09-29-2011, 09:27 PM
^^Are you actually from Tampa? Is it really as hard to get to St Pete from Tampa as Jonah Keri makes it seem? Cause I can't fault someone for not leaving work, taking 2+ hours to get to the park and then another 2 hours back home, especially not when the odds were on an even more important game happening the next night.

jd25213
09-29-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm a Yankee fan and I don't feel sorry for the redsux, but I am happy for the Rays.

jd25213
09-29-2011, 09:47 PM
also, living in nj i hear all the yankee fans saying how happy they are bc boston had the biggest collapse in history...

sorry but that still goes to you guys and probably will never be topped, '04 YANKS

that means for the regular season, we have the biggest in the postseason which are two different things, but as far as regular season goes you guys are now on top

Smaxor5
09-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Really? NY is bandwagon central, people jump aboard whichever one of your 8 teams is winning at the time. One week they're Jets fans and the next its the Giants who are kings of NY.

Where do people get this stupid idea from? Mets and yankee fans HATE each other, Jets and Giants fans HATE each other you really have NO IDEA what you are talking about and should probably just shut up and stop assuming ****. Like have you been to NY? I live in Ny and have NEVER met ANYONE who switched teams because one was winning. NOT A SINGLE ONE over the course of high school, college etc. Keep in mind we are not talking about pink hat girl fans......theyre not real fans.

misterd
09-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Sorry but I can't agree. They've been served well by this team for a decade. There are plenty of other fan bases in other cities that have watched their teams get torn apart, traded away, or never even given a chance. Its the fans that stick by those teams that deserve better.

misterd
09-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Where do people get this stupid idea from? Mets and yankee fans HATE each other, Jets and Giants fans HATE each other you really have NO IDEA what you are talking about and should probably just shut up and stop assuming ****. Like have you been to NY? I live in Ny and have NEVER met ANYONE who switched teams because one was winning. NOT A SINGLE ONE over the course of high school, college etc. Keep in mind we are not talking about pink hat girl fans......theyre not real fans.

Yankees/Mets has become more of a sibling rivalry. Most fans are not die hards and can support both teams or at least not really hate the other. Remember that in 1993 this was a Mets town. Three years later, it was Yankeeland again. You don't think some people started to shift their allegiance?

Halladay
09-29-2011, 10:14 PM
I live in a city known as "the worst sports city in the world" as it was named recently. This isn't based on attendance because Torontonians show up to support all their teams(on and off with the Jays) and not one of the major sports teams have won anything since the early 90's Jays. Hell, not one of the Raptors, Leafs or Jays have even made the playoffs in a while. The Jays haven't made the playoffs in 2 decades, the Leafs haven't since before the NHL lockout, and the Raptors haven't made the playoffs in years either and I don't even think they've ever made it past the first round ever. You aren't about to get sympathy from this guy, Bostons fans have been spoiled and they know it. They've won titles in all 4 of the major sports in recent years. Nuff' said.

ne3xchamps
09-29-2011, 10:19 PM
The 90's ****ing SUCKED

yeah that wasn't a good decade at all. Now only if jbay could get it.... started watching in 02. :laugh2:

Wade>You
09-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Bruins won this past season.
Sox won in 04 & 07
Patriots won multiple SB's this decade.

I have no sympathy whatsoever.Woe are the fans of Boston sports.

jd25213
09-29-2011, 10:25 PM
Yankees/Mets has become more of a sibling rivalry. Most fans are not die hards and can support both teams or at least not really hate the other. Remember that in 1993 this was a Mets town. Three years later, it was Yankeeland again. You don't think some people started to shift their allegiance?

right, my family that lives in NYC roots between both the Yankees and Mets, just who is ever on, but I have choosen to be a full-time, die-hard Yankee fan and I live in Kansas City

avrpatsfan
09-29-2011, 10:28 PM
We don't need any sympathy, we have 7 championships in 10 years. Any Boston fan who wants sympathy is stupid. Does it suck? Yes. But we don't need the pity.

Wrench
09-29-2011, 10:38 PM
I know its not really relevant but the Braves started out life as the Boston Red Stockings in 1871 and went threw a half dozen names before they went to the Boston Braves in 1941, to then move out of the city in 1953 to Milwaukee.

So both teams to have started in Boston blew 8 1/2+ game leads in the same season.

derekreed33
09-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Coming from a Phillies fan, I don't feel sorry for them. I wanted to see them out of the playoffs. I'm different then most Philly fans when it comes to baseball. I hate the Red Sox the most out of any team.... :p

Jeffy25
09-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Prior to 04, I think all of baseball felt as bad for the Red Sox as they do the Cubs. But that feeling has passed.

Prior to 2004, Red Sox fans were the little kid you played with next door, you wanted him to win, you rooted for him. But after they finally won, the Red Sox fans turned into these bragging, annoying, second versions of Yankee fans. The humility was gone, and it was replaced by this annoying boasting, self proclamation attitude that no one wants to see/hear. And all of a sudden it was Red Sox and Yankees, the rivalry. The greatest rivalry in sports is somehow more important that the rest of baseball.

There is a northeast coast bias, everything that happens to the Yankees and Red Sox is front page news. The Red Sox collapsing is huge news, but the braves collapse is somehow on page 6, or a side note below the Sox. The Sox and their fans had huge expectations, and on paper, they should have been better (injuries did hurt them, and CC didn't help much). But far too much media only focuses in the northeast. I don't blame them, that's where the fans are. But media outlets like Sportscenter, Ken Burns documentaries (10th inning was basically a documentary about the Sox), all ESPN writers, seem to only focus on the Yankees and Red Sox. I personally find it annoying, but places like MLB Network don't preach Yankees/Red Sox baseball anymore than they preach Dodgers/Rockies or Brewers/Reds so I watch MLB Network instead. I can't watch Sportscenter anymore.

I'm a Cards fan, and I am happy to say I was there at Game 4 in St. Louis when the Red Sox won. I think most people in baseball were happy to see the Red Sox win a series in Red Sox fans lifetimes. A good for them mentality existed. But there seem to be a lot of new Red Sox fans today, or a new attitude that is rather annoying, at least to me. I don't find the choke the Sox did this year 'funny', or 'humorous', and I don't think fans should be boasting and dancing on the Red Sox miseries, but it is annoying to listen to Sox fans brag about their team, or when threads are constantly about the Red Sox and Yankees. There are 28 other teams in baseball, and they exist too. And wouldn't you know it, some of them are even better than the Sox and Yankees.

Yankee fans are just as bad, and when they missed the playoffs in 08, Sox fans were at a new high in being annoying, bragging and yelling, and talking down to the Yankees. That's sports, and people **** talk. I get that, and you can choose what team you want to be a fan of, but I don't think the city of Boston deserved better this year. The city of Chicago deserved the Cubs to do well as well, but they didn't. What happened to the Red Sox isn't any worse than what happened to the other 22 teams that are currently golfing.

I'm not saying this to pick on any individual Sox fans (or Yankees fans). It's a blanket statement that has a lot of rhetoric behind it. I'm not intending to offend anybody, but the Sox missing the playoffs and the over-exageratted response of the baseball community is nauseating. If the Braves and Cards had still finished like they did, but the Sox had won, and the Rays had lost, people would still only be talking about how the Sox limped into the playoffs, rather than the huge upset that happened to the Cardinals. That's how it is, people want the dramatic, and the Sox have nation-wide fans. I like a lot of Red Sox fans, but the over-dramtization of the Sox collapse is just so exaggerated and nauseating.

RTL
09-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Well written, Jeffy:clap:

fishfan79
09-30-2011, 12:25 AM
Prior to 04, I think all of baseball felt as bad for the Red Sox as they do the Cubs. But that feeling has passed.

Prior to 2004, Red Sox fans were the little kid you played with next door, you wanted him to win, you rooted for him. But after they finally won, the Red Sox fans turned into these bragging, annoying, second versions of Yankee fans. The humility was gone, and it was replaced by this annoying boasting, self proclamation attitude that no one wants to see/hear. And all of a sudden it was Red Sox and Yankees, the rivalry. The greatest rivalry in sports is somehow more important that the rest of baseball.

There is a northeast coast bias, everything that happens to the Yankees and Red Sox is front page news. The Red Sox collapsing is huge news, but the braves collapse is somehow on page 6, or a side note below the Sox. The Sox and their fans had huge expectations, and on paper, they should have been better (injuries did hurt them, and CC didn't help much). But far too much media only focuses in the northeast. I don't blame them, that's where the fans are. But media outlets like Sportscenter, Ken Burns documentaries (10th inning was basically a documentary about the Sox), all ESPN writers, seem to only focus on the Yankees and Red Sox. I personally find it annoying, but places like MLB Network don't preach Yankees/Red Sox baseball anymore than they preach Dodgers/Rockies or Brewers/Reds so I watch MLB Network instead. I can't watch Sportscenter anymore.

I'm a Cards fan, and I am happy to say I was there at Game 4 in St. Louis when the Red Sox won. I think most people in baseball were happy to see the Red Sox win a series in Red Sox fans lifetimes. A good for them mentality existed. But there seem to be a lot of new Red Sox fans today, or a new attitude that is rather annoying, at least to me. I don't find the choke the Sox did this year 'funny', or 'humorous', and I don't think fans should be boasting and dancing on the Red Sox miseries, but it is annoying to listen to Sox fans brag about their team, or when threads are constantly about the Red Sox and Yankees. There are 28 other teams in baseball, and they exist too. And wouldn't you know it, some of them are even better than the Sox and Yankees.

Yankee fans are just as bad, and when they missed the playoffs in 08, Sox fans were at a new high in being annoying, bragging and yelling, and talking down to the Yankees. That's sports, and people **** talk. I get that, and you can choose what team you want to be a fan of, but I don't think the city of Boston deserved better this year. The city of Chicago deserved the Cubs to do well as well, but they didn't. What happened to the Red Sox isn't any worse than what happened to the other 22 teams that are currently golfing.

I'm not saying this to pick on any individual Sox fans (or Yankees fans). It's a blanket statement that has a lot of rhetoric behind it. I'm not intending to offend anybody, but the Sox missing the playoffs and the over-exageratted response of the baseball community is nauseating. If the Braves and Cards had still finished like they did, but the Sox had won, and the Rays had lost, people would still only be talking about how the Sox limped into the playoffs, rather than the huge upset that happened to the Cardinals. That's how it is, people want the dramatic, and the Sox have nation-wide fans. I like a lot of Red Sox fans, but the over-dramtization of the Sox collapse is just so exaggerated and nauseating.
I couldn't put it better myself, well done Sir.

Jeffy25
09-30-2011, 12:26 AM
And I seriously don't want to offend anybody with that post. The context isn't intended that way certainly. But as an outsider, it just gets a little overdone.

I don't think the Sox fans need sympathy, nor would I think any expect it (unless they are some 14 year old girl or something). They have had an insane decade in all sports, and should be excited about next season in each sport. Being a Sox fan should be a pretty good thing right now, even despite the collapse.

Big C Style
09-30-2011, 12:30 AM
The Trop is in a really bad location. They really need to move more near Tampa and get out of St. Pete. That's a nightmare to travel. Bridges over oceans followed by brides over bays. I think they would do better if it was in or near downtown Tampa.

I could never feel bad for the city Boston. I don't care if it was 1974 or 1992. Never. Ever.

Belmonts
09-30-2011, 12:49 AM

Alot of things look better in "per capita", even carbon emissions.

TrueYankee
09-30-2011, 12:54 AM
im confused wtith sthis whole thread so im hyst going to say goo yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@@@!!!!!!! !@@@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!@@@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ap.s. cqant believe francona quit, oh well

Kinkotheclown
09-30-2011, 01:03 AM
Yeah, those Boston sports fans are really deprived between the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins.

Thank you. How many rings for Boston in how many years?
**** the sox. I have great respect for the players on their team and they are a great team that was plagued by injury and although I may feel for the players, I in no way feel for the fans. They loved it in 2001 and had no pity when we lost in the series and that says it all. This rivalry is to the bone and that's the best kind.
I respect them but I still love to hate them. I am so happy they collapsed worse than 78. I have family in Boston and I have been ripping my 9 year old nephew for this.
If the shoe were on the other foot they would be loving it just as much as i am. And I would respect their hate and joy at our collapse. I'd be pissed as all hell but if you're going to root for one of these two teams, you better be ready to eat that humble pie.
**** you Sox!!!! I love you and your fans because I hate you so much. lmao

Tragedy
09-30-2011, 01:06 AM

God damn. As a Red Sox fan, I applaud you. A lot of well said things in there. No doubt, the Red Sox fans that aren't true fans have gotten out of hand in recent years. They've got this mentality that they're better than everyone else for no reason. The Red Sox won 2 titles, but man, Championships sure breeds a lot of morons.

Well said stuff though.

Sherlock
09-30-2011, 05:49 AM

And why is that?

Tropicana Field had 30,000 people show up for yesterday's game. That's way more than half.

As for Boston, they might have a passionate fan base and I admire them for that, but they've become way too cocky. More cocky than the Yankee fans. At least in my experience. They and the Red Sox team deserved what they got yesterday.

ahoda
09-30-2011, 06:07 AM
Boston got what it deserved. I don't feel sorry for them.

koLohe2133
09-30-2011, 06:13 AM
I actually went to Boston, the city once and hated every minute of it.

It literally stinks.

As for the management of the red sox, I hate hypocrisy....and yes, when John Henry calls the Yankees the "evil empire" because of their free spending ways, then pays $50 million just to negotiate with the joke that is daisuke matsuzaka....that is hypocritical.

The fans? I'm sure there are some humble, kind, and knowledgeable fans who give credit when credit is due......I have just never met any ( my mom and best friend are part of red sox nation).

I am not a Yankees fan and I feel no sympathy for Boston the city, the management or the fans.

And I hope y'all end up spending another $200 million on yu darvish

ne3xchamps
09-30-2011, 07:17 AM
We don't need any sympathy, we have 7 championships in 10 years. Any Boston fan who wants sympathy is stupid. Does it suck? Yes. But we don't need the pity.

thanks avr. Everyone on hear is stereotyping ALL NE fans. Its most of the younger generation that can't handle losing well that makes us look like that IMO. I've been through worse disappointment.

ne3xchamps
09-30-2011, 07:19 AM
I actually went to Boston, the city once and hated every minute of it.

It literally stinks.

As for the management of the red sox, I hate hypocrisy....and yes, when John Henry calls the Yankees the "evil empire" because of their free spending ways, then pays $50 million just to negotiate with the joke that is daisuke matsuzaka....that is hypocritical.

The fans? I'm sure there are some humble, kind, and knowledgeable fans who give credit when credit is due......I have just never met any ( my mom and best friend are part of red sox nation).

I am not a Yankees fan and I feel no sympathy for Boston the city, the management or the fans.

And I hope y'all end up spending another $200 million on yu darvish

so what if we do? this current regime likes to spend money, don't hate redsox fans because our team spends money.

mtf
09-30-2011, 07:33 AM
so what if we do? this current regime likes to spend money, don't hate redsox fans because our team spends money.

People don't hate Red Sox fans because of what the team does. A large enough contingent of Red Sox fans are ignorant, arrogant and disrespectful enough to garner enough hatred independent of what the team they brag about does. They will not get much sympathy from any baseball fans outside of New England anytime soon.

mark1125
09-30-2011, 07:39 AM
im confused wtith sthis whole thread so im hyst going to say goo yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@@@!!!!!!! !@@@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!@@@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ap.s. cqant believe francona quit, oh well

Great story man. :clap:

smking619
09-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Are Boston fans really complaining? Weren't you just bragging about 7 championships in 10 years? Get over it.

pebloemer
09-30-2011, 08:02 AM
LOL

Their city has been racking up the championships for the past decade in the 4 major sports, they're spoiled

Agreed. I'm quite envious of Boston fans everywhere.

Patriots, Bruins, Celtics and Red Sox?

Mr Haha
09-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Baseball is a regional sport. The northeast is a hotbed. This isn't communism, or little league where everyone gets a trophy. A larger number of people are more passionate about the sport in the northeast than anywhere else. Get over it.

Belmonts
09-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Baseball is a regional sport. The northeast is a hotbed. This isn't communism, or little league where everyone gets a trophy. A larger number of people are more passionate about the sport in the northeast than anywhere else. Get over it.
He fully said that, but then why would you read that.
The take home message was: Be Mature. Incase you missed it.

sixer04fan
09-30-2011, 10:10 AM
LOL

This.

F*(&"Next Year"
09-30-2011, 10:12 AM
I don't want anyone to feel sorry for us.

NYYrdbest
09-30-2011, 10:12 AM

And why is that?

1. Yes, I was surprised myself. The Redsox are a highly competitive team and before this year they had the capability to comeback any time. Also they finally found the formula to beat the Yankees and earned respect from the Yankees fans and even more important the respect from the players. Joe Torre himself expressed that they fear the redsox. Of course, in his case he knew that George S. will be after his case.
BTW I blame Joe Torre for the defeat in 2004 because he allowed Curt Schilling to pitch comfortably. All he needed to do was to order to bunt quite a few times since Schilling was seriously hurt and at the moment did not have the flexibility or mobility. After that victory the redsox had the confidence and the rest is history. The redsox fan base supported the team in spite of losing for so many years, but instead of becoming better fans they became unpleasant arrogants.

2. I did not realize that the redsox are hated as much or even more than the Yankees. All the polls revealed that about 80% of the baseball fans wanted Boston to continue the debacle and were rooting for the Rays or the Angels to beat the redsox.

3. Regarding the Tampa Bay/Florida fans, so far they have shown that they are the worse fans in baseball. They have managed to make themselves competitive in spite of the low budget team. Without a doubt Joe Madden is 2011ís Manager of the year.

> I can't help but feel sorry for Boston {quote]

No, I donít feel the same way most of their fans had been cocky, to say the least . Their attitude sucks and now they are paying the price. Notwithstanding, I really feel sorry for Jon Papelbon, I mean he was so sad that could not articulate properly when the press acted like scavengers. Papelbon is one of the best closers and I hope that the Yankees get rid off A. Soriano so they can sign Papelbon. He had just a few blown saves and is a very effective closer. Bard is not ready yet, but that is Boston's problem.

I am glad that the redsox choked, but donít feel sorry for them. They have a good nucleus and will be back and be competitive as usual. Therefore, donít feel sorry for those mean wannabes. I just hope that they become a little more modest. After all, there is only one Empire. Take a guess?

Pinstripe pride
09-30-2011, 10:14 AM
yea winning almost 10 championships the last 10 years really hurts.................

don't feel for them at all. thats what the get talking like they were some team of destiny when the offseason ended

avon_barksdale
09-30-2011, 10:29 AM
man the redsox gots the worst fans in pro sports... why feel sorry for them. they be singin sweet carolin till next april hahahahaaa

DwayneMVPwade
09-30-2011, 10:38 AM
I dont feel sorry for them.

StayOnBoard
09-30-2011, 11:41 AM
man the redsox gots the worst fans in pro sports... why feel sorry for them. they be singin sweet carolin till next april hahahahaaa

My thoughts exactly :)

The last thing I feel is "sorry" for Boston... Maybe "happiness" but not "sorry"... certainly not.

JWall2010
09-30-2011, 04:56 PM

NE Sportsfan
09-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Who cares, we're still better than your team.

Mr Haha
09-30-2011, 05:31 PM
mr haha you have made a few threads these past few days that i am in full support of your opinion (peyton manning thread, this thread) i do believe that it is unfortunate that such as the red sox nation had to go through that epic collapse, but it is what it is. its apart of the game, the fans either will need to get past it (they will no doubt) or find a different sport or leaves sports all together. Only 1 team out of 32 end the year being the champions, everything else, to me, is a failure to reach the true goal. there are small victories sure, but in the end, all that matters is who pulls in the trophy on the last game.

I really appreciate that, man. Thanks.

Jeffy25
09-30-2011, 05:36 PM

I very clearly said that I get that is where the fans are. But it's annoying how over-exagerated it is and how much it is talked about, when there are 28 other teams in baseball playing at the same level.

Doesn't surprise me that you are the only posters that had a problem with what I said, while everyone else seemed to approve (including a sox fan)

ne3xchamps
09-30-2011, 05:40 PM
People don't hate Red Sox fans because of what the team does. A large enough contingent of Red Sox fans are ignorant, arrogant and disrespectful enough to garner enough hatred independent of what the team they brag about does. They will not get much sympathy from any baseball fans outside of New England anytime soon.

I'm not arrogant, ignorant or disrespectful. I for one haven't expected sympathy. I'm not the younger generation and can handle losing. No biggie to me.

ne3xchamps
09-30-2011, 05:42 PM

You do know this thread was started by a non red sox fan right? You should check that sort of stuff before you start running your man pleaser.

Mr Haha
09-30-2011, 05:42 PM
I very clearly said that I get that is where the fans are. But it's annoying how over-exagerated it is and how much it is talked about, when there are 28 other teams in baseball playing at the same level.

Doesn't surprise me that you are the only posters that had a problem with what I said, while everyone else seemed to approve (including a sox fan)

So, what's your point? That's where the fans are. Thats where the money is to made. That's where the attention goes. Welcome to America, and quit whining.

And it's not personal, I just happen to disagree with you. Don't make this personal yourself, mr. mod.

Jeffy25
09-30-2011, 05:51 PM
So, what's your point? That's where the fans are. Thats where the money is to made. That's where the attention goes. Welcome to America, and quit whining.

And it's not personal, I just happen to disagree with you. Don't make this personal yourself, mr. mod.

That the attention that New York and Boston gets is nauseating for the rest of baseball and their fans.

Are we going to spend the whole playoffs and off-season talking about the Red Sox collapse, ignoring the Braves collapse and the playoffs?

Baseball exists outside of the northeast.

It's not personal, but it's no surprise that you are the only one to complain about my post.

Mr Haha
09-30-2011, 05:55 PM
That the attention that New York and Boston gets is nauseating for the rest of baseball and their fans.

Are we going to spend the whole playoffs and off-season talking about the Red Sox collapse, ignoring the Braves collapse and the playoffs?

Baseball exists outside of the northeast.

It's not personal, but it's no surprise that you are the only one to complain about my post.

Well, I happen to be from NY, so that's why I made this thread. If you don't like it, take a hike. I'm sorry you want baseball coverage to resemble communist China; I'd rather let the free market take it's course.

And yes, you do make it personal when you mention me instead of just what's in my post. I thought you were supposed to be an authority figure now?

Jeffy25
09-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Well, I happen to be from NY, so that's why I made this thread. If you don't like it, take a hike. I'm sorry you want baseball coverage to resemble communist China; I'd rather let the free market take it's course.

And yes, you do make it personal when you mention me instead of just what's in my post. I thought you were supposed to be an authority figure now?

Leave that alone Haha, just because I'm a mod doesn't mean I can't discuss a topic with a poster.

You made a thread about how the city of Boston deserved better, I state my disagreement, you can get over it. You made it personal when you said 'I need to get over it'.

Your the one that got defensive with what I said. I don't care if you don't like it, you don't have to, it's an online forum.

I'm done responding to this thread. You don't have to like what I said, that's fair. Let's both move on.

Mr Haha
09-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Leave that alone Haha, just because I'm a mod doesn't mean I can't discuss a topic with a poster.

You made a thread about how the city of Boston deserved better, I state my disagreement, you can get over it.

Your the one that got defensive with what I said. I don't care if you don't like it, you don't have to, it's an online forum.

I'm done responding to this thread. You don't have to like what I said, that's fair. Let's both move on.

I didn't get defensive. I made a point against yours. (It is possible for someone to have a point besides you.) Then you made a counterpoint with a personal slight in it, something I hadn't done to you.

dbroncos78087
09-30-2011, 06:09 PM
I am a Red Sox fan, but the city deserves nothing. The team deserves nothing. Why would anyone be so arrogant as to assume the city or the team deserves something they didnt earn?

"Ace"ves
09-30-2011, 07:21 PM
I am a Red Sox fan, but the city deserves nothing. The team deserves nothing. Why would anyone be so arrogant as to assume the city or the team deserves something they didnt earn?

mad respect dbroncos

Bos_Sports4Life
10-01-2011, 02:06 AM

I couldnt agree more, and im a sox fan

No ones going too feel bad for a 161 million dollar team made up of lazy, self entitled, un emetional players that didn't seem too care..for the most part anyways..

keithy19
10-01-2011, 03:50 AM
I went to Boston over the summer amid all the Stanley Cup hoopla and fell in love with the city. I'm a life long New Jersey resident and fan of the Yankees and Mets (odd I know) but really enjoyed my time in the city. It's still not as awesome as New York City, but it's close.

Victory Faust
10-01-2011, 10:21 AM
You want fans who deserve better? Pittsburgh fans deserve better. Or KC fans. Or Baltimore fans. Boston fans at least go into the season knowing their team has a chance to compete.

As far as the overexposure of the northeastern teams, I agree it's nauseating. During the rain delay in last night's Tigers/Yankees game, they aired a 15 minute interview with Derek Jeter, and then the panel spent the next 15 minutes talking about . . . Derek Jeter. Forget about the fact that the Tiger starting pitcher had just turned in a wonderful season; or that Miguel Cabrera had just stole a batting title with a furious late-season flurry; or that Doug Fister came out of nowhere to notch one of the best trade-deadline performances ever.

Never mind all that. TBS decided to do yet another feature on Derek Jeter.

Yeah, we're all aware the networks do it for the money. So do drug dealers. Just because money is the motivation, it doesn't mean we should "get over it."

That's why the MLB Network has been such a blessing -- and why I never, ever watch "Baseball Tonight" or "Sportscenter" any more. On the MLB Network, the Reds and Nationals are treated as if they're part of the baseball family, too.

BeantownBill
10-01-2011, 10:39 AM

Bandwagon fans come with winning, stupid. You should know that, as a Yankee fan unless you're too young to remember the 80s. You literally couldn't find a Yankee fan outside of NY. Then they went on that amazing streak with that equally amazing core of superstars and guess what? Yep, bandwagon fans crawled out of every hole in the woodpile to proclaim their allegiance to the Yankees once again.

It's sports. It happens everywhere a team wins. SF wins, and suddenly you see celebs wearing the black and orange caps. Believe me, the Yankees cornered the market on loud mouth bandwagon fans. The Sox have their share, as does every team that enjoys a period of winning.

I feel dumb having to explain this to you, but there it is. Hope you learned something.

p.s. Boston didn't ask for, nor do we want your sympathy. Congrats once more to the Rays on their stellar run to the playoffs. I'd love to see them take it all the way, despite their pathetic fan base.

StayOnBoard
10-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I didn't get defensive. I made a point against yours. (It is possible for someone to have a point besides you.) Then you made a counterpoint with a personal slight in it, something I hadn't done to you.

:rolleyes:

It amazes me how some posters can say the things they do and then fire back with comments like that. I wonder if people actually read what they type before hitting submit.

aztr0
10-01-2011, 11:08 AM
No I don't feel sorry for Boston at all. They've had championships in other sports, so what if they missed out on the opportunity in baseball. They got 2 of those championships recently as well.

GasMan
10-01-2011, 11:15 AM
If one team has 6 million in population

And another has 3 million in population

A 2nd grader can figure out the 6 million population will draw a bigger crowd

If anybody has a hard time understanding this concept- I will draw in crayon

It's actually not that simple. Other teams come from smaller markets with better attendance. The problem is a facility/location issue, with the stadium actually in a difficult to reach part of St. Pete (not even Tampa) and it is a crappy facility that was built 10 years before the team even existed. And unfortunately the team is stuck with a lease that goes for like another 15 yrs (signed by the cheapskate first owner that was responsible for all those crappy years) and a city that will not let the team out of the contract. They probably would do better in Tampa in a new state of the art park but it probably won't happen for a while.

Belmonts
10-01-2011, 11:16 AM

Some bizarre expectation that this playoff berth was to be handed to your team in a silver platter.

mtf
10-01-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm not arrogant, ignorant or disrespectful. I for one haven't expected sympathy. I'm not the younger generation and can handle losing. No biggie to me.

That may very well be true, however I started by saying "A large enough contingent of Red Sox fans...." in that post you quoted, describing why no one feels sorry for a base of fans which are among the most annoying in all of pro sports.

dbroncos78087
10-01-2011, 12:57 PM
You want fans who deserve better? Pittsburgh fans deserve better. Or KC fans. Or Baltimore fans. Boston fans at least go into the season knowing their team has a chance to compete.

As far as the overexposure of the northeastern teams, I agree it's nauseating. During the rain delay in last night's Tigers/Yankees game, they aired a 15 minute interview with Derek Jeter, and then the panel spent the next 15 minutes talking about . . . Derek Jeter. Forget about the fact that the Tiger starting pitcher had just turned in a wonderful season; or that Miguel Cabrera had just stole a batting title with a furious late-season flurry; or that Doug Fister came out of nowhere to notch one of the best trade-deadline performances ever.

Never mind all that. TBS decided to do yet another feature on Derek Jeter.

Yeah, we're all aware the networks do it for the money. So do drug dealers. Just because money is the motivation, it doesn't mean we should "get over it."

That's why the MLB Network has been such a blessing -- and why I never, ever watch "Baseball Tonight" or "Sportscenter" any more. On the MLB Network, the Reds and Nationals are treated as if they're part of the baseball family, too.

I couldnt agree more with the first paragraph unless i wrote it. Pittsburgh fans and KC fans deserve more. One good thing about having been brought up a Red Sox fan is that i get to root for a team that i know year-in-year-out will attempt to put the best team together. Pittsburgh and KC fans dont have that luxury.

Bombtista
10-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I don't care at all that Boston just collapsed in a pathetic fashion.

They just won the stanley cup for god sakes. How about Toronto who hasnt even seen a meaningful playoff team in like 5 years. I think we deserve better.

EDIT: Brian Burke and AA are a good start to changing that though.

Tragedy
10-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Exactly. I'm a Red Sox fan through and through; Been that way my entire life. But we deserved nothing. We tried, and we failed. Plain and simple. Someone in here said that we should feel sorry for the teams like KC and Pittsburgh; Those are the fans and the cities to feel sorry for. Boston had their chance with 2 titles, and then all the other titles from other teams in the area. But we didn't deserve anything. Our team had the chance to make the Playoffs and even have one of the best records in baseball and they blew it in a span of one month.

ne3xchamps
10-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Bandwagon fans come with winning, stupid. You should know that, as a Yankee fan unless you're too young to remember the 80s. You literally couldn't find a Yankee fan outside of NY. Then they went on that amazing streak with that equally amazing core of superstars and guess what? Yep, bandwagon fans crawled out of every hole in the woodpile to proclaim their allegiance to the Yankees once again.

It's sports. It happens everywhere a team wins. SF wins, and suddenly you see celebs wearing the black and orange caps. Believe me, the Yankees cornered the market on loud mouth bandwagon fans. The Sox have their share, as does every team that enjoys a period of winning.

I feel dumb having to explain this to you, but there it is. Hope you learned something.

p.s. Boston didn't ask for, nor do we want your sympathy. Congrats once more to the Rays on their stellar run to the playoffs. I'd love to see them take it all the way, despite their pathetic fan base.

this. well said man.

Bombtista
10-01-2011, 06:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Oce1Yz_0U&feature=relmfu

This is about right aha

jscotty8
10-02-2011, 12:06 AM
I have a ton of respect for every Red Sox fan that posted they didn't deserve it because they didn't earn it.

Corey
10-02-2011, 12:09 AM
First of all, it's a sport. No one deserves anything.

Second of all, our team sucked down the stretch.

Third, our roster turned into a bunch of self-entitled pricks that thought their talent would carry them to the World Series.

We lost a good manager because of it.

quade36
10-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Feel bad for red sox fans??? The same fans who cried curse for so many years? The same fans who when their team finally won went from 'oh woe is me' to 'we are the best, everyone else sucks!'

Feel Bad???? Thats crazy talk.

I do feel bad for that KC, San Diego or Pittsburgh season ticket holder. What those guys must go through. A good player is brought up in their farm system, becomes great in the majors, and goes to play for the red sox or yankees when they are a free agent.

Jeffy25
10-02-2011, 03:01 AM
First of all, it's a sport. No one deserves anything.

Second of all, our team sucked down the stretch.

Third, our roster turned into a bunch of self-entitled pricks that thought their talent would carry them to the World Series.

We lost a good manager because of it.

And it's really sad, because Francona is a top 5 manager in baseball IMO.

It's really sad that he is/has left. I would trade TLR for Francona in a heartbeat.

StayOnBoard
10-02-2011, 09:39 AM
And it's really sad, because Francona is a top 5 manager in baseball IMO.

It's really sad that he is/has left. I would trade TLR for Francona in a heartbeat.

I dont care what anyone says, I'd trade 90% of the managers in baseball for Terry Francona.

My good buddy is a HUGE BoSox fan and boy he's pissed they pinned it on him :laugh2: I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it! ;)

Boston-Born
10-02-2011, 02:40 PM
I dont care what anyone says, I'd trade 90% of the managers in baseball for Terry Francona.

My good buddy is a HUGE BoSox fan and boy he's pissed they pinned it on him :laugh2: I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it! ;)

I agree he is a very good players manager but that can't be the be all end all. He is not very good at all based on lineup consistency, managing a bullpen, and has too much loyalty to some players that don't deserve it (i.e. Darnell MacDonald).

That being said, he is a nice guy, handled the media extremely well, and dealt with many personalities (until the end).

He will be missed but change was needed.

NE Sportsfan
10-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Of course we deserve better, because we're better than your fanbase. Titles, titles, titles, give us the precious.

StayOnBoard
10-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Of course we deserve better, because we're better than your fanbase. Titles, titles, titles, give us the precious.

And this, ladies and gents, is why I woke my house up cheering when Boston suffered their colossal collapse and Tampa made it into the playoffs :)

MVP20
10-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Nah, they defnitely deserved what happened. They are the most cocky fan base ever. Plus we favorites by sooo many people to win the World Series. To be honest Ive never seen a better day in sports besides when the Packers won the Super Bowl. That night in Baseball was sooo damn satisfying.

ne3xchamps
10-03-2011, 05:43 PM
And this, ladies and gents, is why I woke my house up cheering when Boston suffered their colossal collapse and Tampa made it into the playoffs :)

don't pay too much attention to him. He doesn't count for all us non cocky arrogant Sox fans.

ne3xchamps
10-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Nah, they defnitely deserved what happened. They are the most cocky fan base ever. Plus we favorites by sooo many people to win the World Series. To be honest Ive never seen a better day in sports besides when the Packers won the Super Bowl. That night in Baseball was sooo damn satisfying.

See my previous post. Don't put us all in that category.

Jeffy25
10-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Boston has what, 7 WS titles? 5 of which are before 1920. That would put you behind a fair number of other franchises, and certainly behind many when qualifying frequency to date.

magichatnumber9
10-03-2011, 05:57 PM

When you look at "per capita" The Rays attendance is better than most baseball stadiums.. when you factor in the population in the Tampa area vs NY and Boston.. its a higher attendance # than both those citiesNo there's not. Try again

magichatnumber9
10-03-2011, 05:59 PM
O.k I'll inform this very smart and intelligent poster. There is less then 600,000 people living in the city of Boston.

Jeffy25
10-03-2011, 06:10 PM
The city only has like 600k people, but the regional market is something like 4-5 million.

People forget how demographics work for some reason.

StayOnBoard
10-03-2011, 06:13 PM
O.k I'll inform this very smart and intelligent poster. There is less then 600,000 people living in the city of Boston.

Of course, if you want to be technical.

However, the greater Boston area is about 4.5 million.... I'm sure you know this - so if that's the case, you're not looking very smart or intelligent :)

benzni
10-03-2011, 06:29 PM
no not really

7chuck7
10-03-2011, 06:30 PM

And why is that?

I laugh my *** off whenever any Boston team loses.

7chuck7
10-03-2011, 06:31 PM

And why is that?

You can stop calling yourself a Yankee fan.

Kelly Gruber
10-03-2011, 06:55 PM
On the contrary, very few fanbases deserved to be taken down a peg more than Boston fans...

Corey
10-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Nothing like a sweeping generalization.

Good work.

NE Sportsfan
10-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Actually Boston has 6,000,000

Jeffy25
10-04-2011, 09:11 AM
according to the latest census. The greater Boston area is 4,522,858 , the city had 617,594

The ENTIRE STATE OF MASSACHUSETTS was 6,547,629 people.

Unless you think MA is 92.3% Boston, or about half a million people in the entire state not in the Boston area.

StayOnBoard
10-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Actually Boston has 6,000,000

Funny how someone can be wrong so often, in such a short amount of time.

LongIslandIcedZ
10-04-2011, 12:27 PM
I agree to an extent. Obviously I hate the Red Sox and they have some cocky fans that are annoying. But they have a strong fan base and they deserve a team that tries harder down the stretch. Most fan bases deserve at least that

theproof
10-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Well then you are not a real Yankees fan. As a Giants fan, I'll never feel sad about the Dodgers not making the playoffs.

The_905
10-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Funny a Jays fan has been in here so much, I guess when your team hasnt been relevant in 20 years you need to vent somewhere.

How many championships has Boston won in the last 80 years?

BeantownBill
10-04-2011, 08:08 PM
How many championships has Boston won in the last 80 years?

Why not say in the last 10 years? The fact that you have to go back .. 80 ****ing years makes you look like someone reaching for straws, while also rendering your point moot. That's just a stupid thing to say.

p.s. He has a valid point about a Jays fan baiting in a forum that has nothing to do with his sorry *** team. Yep, I said it. Now I'm done. :p

2009mvp
10-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Our sorry *** team is exactly where yours is, just cost us 100M less.

Green_Monster
10-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Our sorry *** team is exactly where yours is, just cost us 100M less.

Other than the fact that the Red Sox had many more wins then the Jays. I love the Jays, honestly, but don't go off comparing them to the Red Sox.

mtf
10-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Funny a Jays fan has been in here so much, I guess when your team hasnt been relevant in 20 years you need to vent somewhere.

You, the classy Boston sports fan, deserved better.

Jeffy25
10-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Everybody, stop. The petty banter needs to end.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Just close this.

MVP1
10-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Boston has a bunch of UFA's

StayOnBoard
10-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Other than the fact that the Red Sox had many more wins then the Jays. I love the Jays, honestly, but don't go off comparing them to the Red Sox.

Your right, they're in better shape then the Red Sox.

They don't have guys like Dice K, CC and Lackey getting paid a small fortune and Toronto has dumped their dead weight (Wells, Rios, BJ Ryan). They also spend about 100 million less than Boston.

The funny thing about Toronto is, they actually HAVE money to spend. It's not like the A's or the Bucs.... in addition, Toronto has one of the brightest GM's in all of baseball - they're in good hands, I'm not too worried :)

Originally Posted by NE Sportsfan

Toronto has exactly the same amount of championships as Boston does over the past 80 years. After that epic collapse, the last thing I'd be as a Red Sox fan is cocky.

Boston-Born
10-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Your right, they're in better shape then the Red Sox.

They don't have guys like Dice K, CC and Lackey getting paid a small fortune and Toronto has dumped their dead weight (Wells, Rios, BJ Ryan). They also spend about 100 million less than Boston.

The funny thing about Toronto is, they actually HAVE money to spend. It's not like the A's or the Bucs.... in addition, Toronto has one of the brightest GM's in all of baseball - they're in good hands, I'm not too worried :)

Toronto has exactly the same amount of championships as Boston does over the past 80 years. After that epic collapse, the last thing I'd be as a Red Sox fan is cocky.

That's a pretty delusional statement. They are in a division with the Red Sox, Rays, and Yanks with only 1 WC spot.

You can talk all you want about specs and your unproven GM, but that means bull until they prove something.

StayOnBoard
10-05-2011, 12:20 PM
That's a pretty delusional statement. They are in a division with the Red Sox, Rays, and Yanks with only 1 WC spot.

You can talk all you want about specs and your unproven GM, but that means bull until they prove something.

Well, according to your fans, the Rays aren't even in the same league as the Red Sox :laugh2:

Fact is, Toronto and Boston has accomplished the same the past 2 seasons, neither has a playoff appearance and in fact, your team is about to lose their GM and has already fired the coach who got them 2 championships.

It'll be a LONG time before Boston wins another one and yes, I like Toronto's chances given the situation they're in. I don't expect you to understand, you only see it from one side, but unless Boston spends another 60 + million this offseason to fix their starting staff and pay Ellsbury what he's owed, Boston won't be in the playoffs next year either.

Boston-Born
10-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Well, according to your fans, the Rays aren't even in the same league as the Red Sox :laugh2:

I love generalization!:clap:

Fact is, Toronto and Boston has accomplished the same the past 2 seasons, neither has a playoff appearance and in fact, your team is about to lose their GM and has already fired the coach who got them 2 championships.

Thats not true. Boston has had more wins the past two seasons. Though they didn't make the playoffs, they still had more wins.

It'll be a LONG time before Boston wins another one and yes, I like Toronto's chances given the situation they're in. I don't expect you to understand, you only see it from one side, but unless Boston spends another 60 + million this offseason to fix their starting staff and pay Ellsbury what he's owed, Boston won't be in the playoffs next year either.

Seeing all the posts you spew on here, I would say you are more 1 sided than most. I actually lived in Canada and followed the Jays for 5 years. They will never be a contender if they do not focus on pitching depth and bullpen help. They can mash with the best of them, but can't hold a lead. You can keep talking about your unproven GM and all these great specs, but until they do something, they mean nothing.

StayOnBoard
10-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Thats not true. Boston has had more wins the past two seasons. Though they didn't make the playoffs, they still had more wins.

More wins = more playoffs spots? I see..

I mean seriously, who gives a **** how many wins your team gets if you don't make those wins count? Hey - if your happy with that 3rd place finish, then good for you :)

Seeing all the posts you spew on here, I would say you are more 1 sided than most. I actually lived in Canada and followed the Jays for 5 years. They will never be a contender if they do not focus on pitching depth and bullpen help. They can mash with the best of them, but can't hold a lead. You can keep talking about your unproven GM and all these great specs, but until they do something, they mean nothing.

Im not one-sided at all actually, but I do hate the Red Sox more than any other team in baseball - only because of their cocky/arrogant fan base. It's pretty sad that the Boston fans made the Yankees fans of the late 90's/early 2000's look.... modest, by comparison. You wouldn't know Boston sucked for 85 years prior to that first world series title (oh wait...)

YEDN90
10-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Still don't feel sorry :)

NE Sportsfan
10-05-2011, 02:44 PM

I'd hate to be Toronto then, the Sox will win another one far sooner than the Jays will.

What does paying Ellsbury this offseason have anything to do with him next season? He's going to be in CF and will put up monster numbers again.

We need to get Beckett back on track and back in shape. Beckett, Lester, Buchholz is far and away better than anything Toronto will have in the next couple seasons. The Red Sox were the best team in baseball through the middle chunk of the season, oh how screwed we are :rolleyes:. We still have the best lineup in baseball and should have a motivated Crawford who wont be abysmal again.

Future is bleak in Boston. :speechless:

miller74
10-05-2011, 02:53 PM
LOL

This

miller74
10-05-2011, 02:55 PM
More wins = more playoffs spots? I see..

I mean seriously, who gives a **** how many wins your team gets if you don't make those wins count? Hey - if your happy with that 3rd place finish, then good for you :)

Im not one-sided at all actually, but I do hate the Red Sox more than any other team in baseball - only because of their cocky/arrogant fan base. It's pretty sad that the Boston fans made the Yankees fans of the late 90's/early 2000's look.... modest, by comparison. You wouldn't know Boston sucked for 85 years prior to that first world series title (oh wait...)

If your sayin you wouldnt be excited if the jays missed the playoffs by 1 game, then u are flat out lying

StayOnBoard
10-05-2011, 03:02 PM
If your sayin you wouldnt be excited if the jays missed the playoffs by 1 game, then u are flat out lying

Yes.. I would be so thrilled if the Jays went through one of the biggest collapses in MLB history and only missed the playoffs by one game.

<= Liar (I guess) :shrug:

Boy, Sox fans are SUPER touchy these days :laugh2:

Twitchy
10-05-2011, 03:06 PM
This has just turned into a bait/troll fest and a pissing match between numerous posters. At this point it's not even about the topic so I'm closing the thread.