PDA

View Full Version : How could I go about finding out...

RZZZA
09-29-2011, 05:48 PM
how pass-happy a team is or how un pass-happy a team is?

What I mean is that I notice a lot of teams in the league differ in offensive philosophy. Some teams like to swing the ball around a lot during offensive possessions and often go deep into the shot clock count before actually attempting a shot.

Other teams don't care for passing the ball around a lot and like to score as quick as possible. How could I find out which teams in the league were most and least pass happy in the '10-'11 season?

juno10
09-29-2011, 07:13 PM
idk i just look at their ast per game i think houston is leading in that.

asandhu23
09-29-2011, 07:30 PM
believe it or not, Warriors are one of the better passing teams in the league..

llemon
09-29-2011, 07:55 PM
how pass-happy a team is or how un pass-happy a team is?

What I mean is that I notice a lot of teams in the league differ in offensive philosophy. Some teams like to swing the ball around a lot during offensive possessions and often go deep into the shot clock count before actually attempting a shot.

Other teams don't care for passing the ball around a lot and like to score as quick as possible. How could I find out which teams in the league were most and least pass happy in the '10-'11 season?

Through true diligence and sacrifice.

ttam68
09-30-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure your theory regarding pace/passing is correct. But, if thats your theory, I'd start by looking at team Ast % and Pace and see if there is some correlation. Thinking of teams like the Suns/Warriors, though, I'd consider them higher passing and higher pace teams. Running some quick graphs of Assist Rate vs. Pace I don't see a correlation.

Of course, relying on assist stats isn't very dependable anyway because it excludes missed FGs, fouls on FGA, TOs, and is often a subjective stat. All of which could skew any conclusion regarding "pass happy"-ness.

Chronz
09-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Im assuming you mean statistically speaking since the obvious answer here would be to watch the game, and indeed if I were so lazy its all the advice I would offer, but Ill try to offer some guidance.

I know theres a touches to pass ratio in some GM's workshop but we dont have those options, Im guessing the best thing to look at would be a teams Pure Point Rating which basically functions like Assist to Turnover ratio, Assist Ratios tell you how many assists the team had per possession, but if I wanted to get more specific I would focus on specific play sets.

Personally, teams that get alot of backdoor cuts, handoffs, off the ball screens are teams that move around the most. I dont know if it makes them better passers, but because their offense is geared towards generating alot of those looks they are in constant motion and their passing plays into that. Conversely you could look at which teams run Iso's and basic PnR the least to get a sense of passivity.

So yea I would look up which teams got the most cuts, screens and handoffs.

For example heres HOU vs MIA;

Houston -- Miami
Play Set Att.
Cuts 828 -- 777
Screens 549 -- 443
Hand-Offs 419 -- 196

Isolations 1068 -- 1261

Stylistically just from watching a random game you can spot the differences in attack and at a glance these select #'s seem to support that Houston operates with more movement and less 1 on 1. However its just a hunch so dont take my word for it but Id imagine all the best moving/passing teams would yield a higher # of these plays and a lower # of others. You would have to account for pace but you could refine these #'s down halfcourt setting if need be.

MrfadeawayJB
09-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Find a team with no true star who gets "touches"....ball movement is key for those teams