PDA

View Full Version : Crawford

More-Than-Most
09-29-2011, 06:12 AM
What was your take on the final play? Do you think he played it correctly or are you suppose to play it on a hop there? Also if he plays it on a hop do you think he throws the guy out at home?

I ask all this because I am not sure he made the correct defensive play... You always want top effort and you cant fault his effort but in that situation is smarts more important than effort? I think if he plays that final ball on a hop he guns the guy out at home rather easily with any kind of on target throw. What are your thoughts?

Sidenote- Please keep it about the play and put yourself in their shoes and what would you want a player from your team to do in that situation? Take into account who was running and the over all situation and every other factor you can think of.

Video
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19787617&c_id=mlb

ahoda
09-29-2011, 06:22 AM
Link to the play?

RTL
09-29-2011, 06:29 AM
The ball went off his glove so I can only fault him for not making the catch. It definitely wasn't routine but anyone who has ever played baseball knows that if it hit your glove, you should have caught it. If he plays it on a hop, there would have been no play at the plate as the runner would have been held which is a good thing. But if the ball doesn't hit off the side of the glove and Crawford makes the catch, inning is over and the game is tied. Crawford was just an inch off. I played OF all the way through college and I would have done the same thing, except I would have made the catch:)

More-Than-Most
09-29-2011, 06:31 AM
what is the defensive player taught to do in that situation? Dive or play it on a hop? I was a football playing guy in highschool and I am honestly curious?

xSolidx
09-29-2011, 06:32 AM
I think he was caught in between and had to make a split second decision to decide if he should go for it or play it on the hop. In hindsight, if he did play it on the hop, it seems like he wouldve thrown the guy out at home. But with his speed and his defense, I do think he made the right decision to go for it. It was a catchable ball, not saying it was easy, but it was catchable.

If Crawford let it drop, and he didnt throw the guy out at home, people would second guess that decision as well. Whatever Crawford does he cant win.

RTL
09-29-2011, 06:39 AM
what is the defensive player taught to do in that situation? Dive or play it on a hop? I was a football playing guy in highschool and I am honestly curious?

If you have a chance to end the inning, you do it. Like I said, if he laid back and played for the hop, you would have runners on 1st and 3rd. Then if the next guy comes up and gets a hit, Crawford is the goat for not making full effort to end the inning. If he makes the catch, inning over and you're up to bat with a little momentum headed back your way after blowing the lead. It happens so quick, it's just reaction. He reacted correctly, just didn't make the catch.

GrumpyOldMan
09-29-2011, 07:06 AM
I think what he tried to do was the correct play. The runner going on contact as there were 2 outs, so the throw was going to have to be good to get him anyway. He should have made the catch....it's just been that kind of year for Crawford.

seikou8
09-29-2011, 07:15 AM
should of played on a hop he would had better positon to throw out the runner or he stayed at 3rd

Fred
09-29-2011, 07:20 AM
In that situation he either puts a little more effort in to make the catch, or play it safe and have 1st & 3rd (like RTL said)...

...IMO, for the bazillion dollars he is being paid, make the damn catch....

seikou8
09-29-2011, 07:22 AM
In that situation he either puts a little more effort in to make the catch, or play it safe and have 1st & 3rd (like RTL said)...

...IMO, for the bazillion dollars he is being paid, make the damn catch....

this

Ian.
09-29-2011, 07:30 AM
How fitting is it that he's a huge reason for the loss?

Goddamn, I hate Boston

Halladay
09-29-2011, 07:37 AM

If you can make the catch you do but the smart play is to let the ball drop, gather yourself and make a strong throw. He was certainly close enough to allow himself time to make a good play. What an awful season for the guy, one play summed it up for him and the Sox. There's no doubt after watching the video again that CC has all the time in the world to make the play at the plate. He would have had the throw off as the guy was rounding third and he would have been DOA.

AI
09-29-2011, 07:45 AM
They had actually stopped the runner on 3rd - he should've played it on the hop the ball was hit too hard for Reimold to score.

StayOnBoard
09-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Like the others said, he 100% should have played it on the hop....

But thankfully, he didn't :) GO RAYS!

Belmonts
09-29-2011, 08:43 AM
He should have had it, he knew what was on the line.

Havoc Wreaker
09-29-2011, 08:46 AM

Goddamn, I hate Boston
:love: Yes! The perfect ending to a perfectly horrible first season in Boston

I agree with RTL. It was a difficult play, as he was sliding in on a sinking line drive, but I think he could have caught that.

Belmonts
09-29-2011, 08:50 AM
:love: Yes! The perfect ending to a perfectly horrible first season in Boston

I agree with RTL. It was a difficult play, as he was sliding in on a sinking line drive, but I think he could have caught that.

It's not like it was Soriano fielding that.

avrpatsfan
09-29-2011, 09:05 AM
**** Crawford, for $142 million he should make those ****ing plays.

fishfan79
09-29-2011, 09:18 AM
in the 03 playoffs a play like that happend to the fish, the player played it off the hop and gunned out the player at home. So I would of perferred that personally if I was a red sox fan. But, either is the "correct" play in that area.

What is ironic is that it is perfect send off to his season for how he played.

Pinstripe pride
09-29-2011, 09:37 AM
absolutely love it. **** Boston!

-Lavigne43-
09-29-2011, 09:43 AM
It's a ball that has to get caught. It's a ball that he got paid to catch. Brett Gardner catches that ball. Crawford would never have a chance to throw out the runner if he played it on a hop, he has no ****ing arm whatsoever.

DieHardColtsfan
09-29-2011, 09:45 AM
It's a ball that has to get caught. It's a ball that he got paid to catch. Brett Gardner catches that ball. Crawford would never have a chance to throw out the runner if he played it on a hop, he has no ****ing arm whatsoever.

I would agree with this.

sixer04fan
09-29-2011, 09:55 AM

In that situation you definitely have to try to catch it in the air, 100%

bagwell368
09-29-2011, 09:56 AM
His arm is suspect, he can't bank on throwing the runner out at home if he is sent, so he has to make the catch for the 3rd out.

If the ball was hit deeper and he was playing deeper (so it was the same length to run) he may have played it better because he wouldn't have been worried about the throw to the plate, because he would have used the cutoff guy.

Friggin Crawford has the yips in Boston just like Renteria, a signing of awful magnitude in the wrong direction.

For everytime I've seen him make a good throw from that deep to Home I've seen him throw 3-4 softies off line like last night.

dodgersuck
09-29-2011, 10:17 AM
I don't think he could've played it on a hop, it was hit too hard. I think he froze on the line drive and then decided to slide too late. He should have commited to the ball, rather than getting caught in between because I think his half assed effort to dive wasa product of his indecision.

infernoscurse
09-29-2011, 10:23 AM
brett gardner makes that play, if he didnt he sure would have gunned out reimold at home :D

quiksilver2491
09-29-2011, 10:26 AM
The only correct answer is you go for the 3rd out, why would you play it on a hop if you're in range to make the final out? Crawford doesn't have a strong arm so it's not like he was going to be throwing the guy out regardless.

Nips
09-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Crawford salary: 20 million

Rays entire team salary: 41 million

lololololol

tp13baby
09-29-2011, 10:27 AM
In this situation, being a baseball player, you are taught to get it on the hop. Diving literally takes all chances that you will get him at home if you miss it.

bagwell368
09-29-2011, 10:34 AM
In this situation, being a baseball player, you are taught to get it on the hop. Diving literally takes all chances that you will get him at home if you miss it.

Really? That's not how I coach, but I haven't coached little league in some years. You coach to the situation, that's why you practice cut offs, sliding catches (left and right), going back, charging the ball, etc. This is an elite athlete making elite money, not a chubby 11 year old in LF because he can't hack the INF.

There is no second choice, he can't make the throw. If he misses the ball it can skip to the wall for all it matters because the runner scores 100% of the time.

Pittz
09-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Crawful deserves a ring from the Rays if they win the Series.

NateyB24
09-29-2011, 10:47 AM
From what i saw it looked like he could have caught it but he just booted it.

Capital G
09-29-2011, 11:06 AM
he should have had it and probably on most nights he does. its ironic that his failed attempt helped put us in the play offs :)

blahblahyoutoo
09-29-2011, 11:07 AM
i just wonder how the hell he botched it. it wasn't that tough of a catch to be made.

Havoc Wreaker
09-29-2011, 11:08 AM
in the 03 playoffs a play like that happend to the fish, the player played it off the hop and gunned out the player at home. So I would of perferred that personally if I was a red sox fan. But, either is the "correct" play in that area.

What is ironic is that it is perfect send off to his season for how he played.
Are you referring to Conine throwing out Snow at home? If so, Conine had no shot at that ball in the air and the runner was JT Snow. The throw was nothing special, but I remember JT Snow taking the widest turn at third base ever. The throw was also not on line, but Pudge was able to get it and tag JT Snow, who was still 3 steps out of home plate

Edit: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13063009

colinskik
09-29-2011, 11:29 AM
THis isn't even debatable. Crawford has to make that catch, or should I say he has to hold onto the catch. He had it and then dropped it -- reminiscent of Ellsbury.

Oh lordy lord, what a great night of baseball. Everything worked out exactly as I hoped it would.

3mikee_
09-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Should've either had it or played it on a hop. Crawford ****ed up

The Schmooze
09-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Like Beltran looking at that 3rd strike in the NLCS in 2006, or Bartmann, or Buckner...often times one player(or person) in unfairly blamed for being solely responsible for a loss, when numerous occurences and scenarios determine the outcome of every game.

These plays need to be made, but it's never just one guy that costs a team the game.

bcc
09-29-2011, 12:18 PM

Goddamn, I hate Boston

Why is your initial statement posed as a question?
Either way, thanks for the "insight" schleprock.
Got anything else?

bagwell368
09-29-2011, 12:33 PM
He had it and then dropped it -- reminiscent of Ellsbury.

Do you mean the other night when Ellsbury was going 100% and ran into the wall 1 step after having the ball in his glove? That's a far harder catch to make. Not the same at all.

Nips
09-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Even if he makes that catch and they go on to win

Sox woulda got curb stomped today by the Rays anyways..

No sense to keep getting a beatdown..

DodgersFanFor23
09-29-2011, 01:02 PM
^ Yup

cooters22
09-29-2011, 01:06 PM
My first thought last night when watching the game was how the heck did he not make that catch? It wasn't an easy catch, but a very doable one. Ryan Braun would have made that catch I believe. Going back and watching it, his glove is off to the side instead of more in front of him, which allowed the ball to bounce. Once he committed to the catch you go all in, maybe he should have dove differently, just doesn't look smooth to me.

sep11ie
09-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Make the catch.

theslick1
09-29-2011, 01:11 PM
^ Yup

Your sig :clap:

Lincecum4CY
09-29-2011, 01:20 PM
He should have caught it. Thats a play he should have made, he had so much glove on it, no excuse not to hang on.

AsfanSince99
09-29-2011, 03:41 PM
^ Yup

luv the sig bro!

Crawford is a $142 million dollars worth of suck.

Randy Marsh
09-29-2011, 03:57 PM
It was a difficult sliding catch on wet grass. I don't know, my blames all on Papelbon right now. All of September was a disaster though so looking back at one play is ridiculous.

bagwell368
09-29-2011, 09:48 PM
It was a difficult sliding catch on wet grass. I don't know, my blames all on Papelbon right now. All of September was a disaster though so looking back at one play is ridiculous.

Papelbon?

Did you check out the load they put on him? 3 appearances in 4 days including a career long (as closer) 7 out appearance.

He was as good as he was in '08, and more then twice as good as last year. Look elsewhere for scapegoats.