PDA

View Full Version : David Stern to threaten entire season this weekend

PinnacleFlash
09-28-2011, 09:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7031637/nba-lockout-david-stern-threaten-cancelation-season-sources-say

When NBA labor talks resume Friday, NBA commissioner David Stern is planning to threaten players with the cancellation of the entire 2011-12 season if the sides haven't made major progress toward a deal by the end of the weekend, according to sources close to the talks.

Although sources said the union views such an extreme stance as more of a negotiating tactic than a legitimate threat, Stern went almost that far in his comments to reporters in New York on Wednesday after a second straight day of negotiations.

netsgiantsyanks
09-28-2011, 09:43 PM
i can't keep my eyes off of your sig

:hide:

NBA_Starter
09-28-2011, 09:45 PM
It's not like they don't already know that's a possiblility, Billy Hunter already told them it may be half a season at best!

likemystylez
09-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Im not sure why stern is mad at the players and not the owners? The players are the only side giving up anything? its the owners who want to gain everything in these negotiations. The players have not even attempted to gain from this lock out.

Mudvayne91
09-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Didn't Stern or maybe owners say that they're willing to step away from a hard cap now?

likemystylez
09-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Didn't Stern or maybe owners say that they're willing to step away from a hard cap now?

yeah, if the split was right... and there are different variations of a soft cap, some are not as soft as others LOL. You can bet that if the owners sign off on another soft cap.... it will basically be treated like a hardcap.... with very very very few exceptions

Sinestro
09-28-2011, 09:57 PM
I think its pretty dangerous for him to threat the players when they're supposed to be trying to compromise

DoMeFavors
09-28-2011, 09:58 PM
im calling his bluff

likemystylez
09-28-2011, 10:12 PM
I think its pretty dangerous for him to threat the players when they're supposed to be trying to compromise

to be fair, stern hasnt threatened anybody. This is an espn article using "sources" as a reference. The details are significantly lacking and to top it off... its a prediction of what will happen, not something that actually has happened. Nobody in the room came out and said anything like this though?

likemystylez
09-28-2011, 10:13 PM
im calling his bluff

LOL @ calling someones bluff before they actually say it.... LOL based on what a writer said he is going to say. Well played my friend, well played

DoMeFavors
09-28-2011, 10:29 PM
LOL @ calling someones bluff before they actually say it.... LOL based on what a writer said he is going to say. Well played my friend, well played

He said bad things will happen if they arent close on a agreement you can check the quotes.

Cal827
09-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Lol, what's Stern trying to win? Most hated man of the year? :facepalm:

likemystylez
09-28-2011, 10:41 PM
He said bad things will happen if they arent close on a agreement you can check the quotes.

LOL yeah but thats not really a threat, Its more along the lines of a fact at this point in time. Those bad things arent directed just at the players. Some owners will lose tv deals, not to mention all the employees at the games, ticket sales reps etc.

Ill21
09-28-2011, 11:09 PM
What a douche.

NYman15
09-28-2011, 11:11 PM
I've been pessimistic from the start and I think there's a good chance games are missed. Not so sure about the whole season. Nevertheless, this weekend is huge to see whether a deal gets done before they start missing games.

likemystylez
09-28-2011, 11:47 PM
So are they expecting david stern to give an all or nothing ultimatum on the entire season... basically ruling out the possability of a shortened season? meaning if they cant get this thing figured out in the next 4 or 5 days... they might as well break off for 11 months or so?

DoMeFavors
09-28-2011, 11:55 PM
So are they expecting david stern to give an all or nothing ultimatum on the entire season... basically ruling out the possability of a shortened season? meaning if they cant get this thing figured out in the next 4 or 5 days... they might as well break off for 11 months or so?

Maybe he doesnt want any games missed at all maybe he wasnt happy with the 1999 season.

H0T SAUCE
09-28-2011, 11:56 PM
:( This blows

Raps18-19 Champ
09-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Im not sure why stern is mad at the players and not the owners? The players are the only side giving up anything? its the owners who want to gain everything in these negotiations. The players have not even attempted to gain from this lock out.

Because the reason the NBA is losing money is apparently because the players get paid way too much.

Assuming there is a hard cap, NBA teams do not have to spend less leading to a less loss or a larger profit.

That's all in theory of course.

McPeak92
09-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Dear David Stern,

That's not going to work.

sincerely,
Everyone

RipCity32
09-29-2011, 12:51 AM
I don't see why everyone is mad at stern he's right if they don't start agreeing on something they will lose the season how else can you put it,I don't think he is going to punish everyone himself and take the season from everyone and not let them negotiate till next season or something he's just stating a clear fact.

pistonsfanomg
09-29-2011, 12:56 AM
lol Good job David Stern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

likemystylez
09-29-2011, 12:56 AM
I don't see why everyone is mad at stern he's right if they don't start agreeing on something they will lose the season how else can you put it,I don't think he is going to punish everyone himself and take the season from everyone and not let them negotiate till next season or something he's just stating a clear fact.

its not that clear though? Is he saying that it is impossible for them to have a partial season? basically saying that it is all or nothing and if they dont agree this weekend than they wont have any length of season what so ever?

Jeesh, doesnt he understand... lebron likes basketball!!

likemystylez
09-29-2011, 01:00 AM
lol Good job David Stern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just out of curiosity... why are piston fans so against having a season? I know its not fun to have your team struggle... but it makes you appreciate wins more

Raps18-19 Champ
09-29-2011, 01:28 AM
I agree with Stern.

From what I'm seeing, the owner's budged from their hard cap demand. What have I seen the players give up?

likemystylez
09-29-2011, 01:35 AM
I agree with Stern.

From what I'm seeing, the owner's budged from their hard cap demand. What have I seen the players give up?

The players have given up more than 6% of guarenteed BRI.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-29-2011, 01:39 AM
The players have given up more than 6% of guarenteed BRI.

6%? That's barely giving much at all compared to what they can keep.

10% sounds more fair. These guys get paid millions to play a game. They aren't saving or risking their lives.

lakers4sho
09-29-2011, 02:03 AM
lol budging at the hard cap demand? they barely moved a centimeter away from it

gwrighter
09-29-2011, 02:08 AM
That is also a warning to the owners, not only the players...Biased writer.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-29-2011, 02:12 AM
That is also a warning to the owners, not only the players...Biased writer.

I was just about to say.

thenetslegend
09-29-2011, 02:15 AM
they really dont want a season, but since im a nets fan im ok with that :cool:

magic0320
09-29-2011, 03:03 AM

10% sounds more fair. These guys get paid millions to play a game. They aren't saving or risking their lives.

and the owners are ???? :facepalm:

Raps18-19 Champ
09-29-2011, 03:06 AM

The owners put millions into the business as well. The point of a business is to put money into a business to make more. I have no problem with them making millions because they risk millions in the process.

effen5
09-29-2011, 03:24 AM

:facepalm:

just wow.

MackShock
09-29-2011, 04:38 AM
^ wonderful sig

Anilyzer
09-29-2011, 05:25 AM
Just let him cancel the season. Who cares. I'll watch Kobe in Italy and Lebron in China, and the NBA can just **** itself for a year.

Anilyzer
09-29-2011, 05:29 AM
the NBA with the weird refereeing and the Donaghy scandal and the authoritarian attitude is becoming whack.

It's just basketball... league officials act like it's top secret or something.

why should the NBA have the monopoly on pro basketball? Give some other leagues a chance. Go ahead, cancel the season--IN SEPTEMBER, because you're not getting a negotiating point. Great. Go ahead.

whatever

dnewguy
09-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Can someone fire Stern? It's time for a new/young blood. Get that man outta here.

SteBO
09-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Can someone fire Stern? It's time for a new/young blood. Get that man outta here.
I'm inclined to agree....

On the topic at hand, you guys shouldn't buy anything anyone says at this point. It's clear that Stern is trying to make a bigger deal out of this one meeting to get the players to budge after the owners budged a bit one their hard cap stance. The fact that the big stars are going to NY on Friday for the negotiating session actually tells me that their closer than they've ever been during this time period, entering it's 91st day. Not worried......

likemystylez
09-29-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm inclined to agree....

On the topic at hand, you guys shouldn't buy anything anyone says at this point. It's clear that Stern is trying to make a bigger deal out of this one meeting to get the players to budge after the owners budged a bit one their hard cap stance. The fact that the big stars are going to NY on Friday for the negotiating session actually tells me that their closer than they've ever been during this time period, entering it's 91st day. Not worried......

Im not sure why people think the big stars are such a big deal, their vote doesnt matter more than the guys making less than 1.5 million around the league.

Infact- I would argue that the true superstars are less concerned about the 5-10% being taken off their basketball salarys. The Kobe Bryants, and lebron james' make more than 5 times as much money via endorsements as they do from their basketball contract. If there is no basketball season- they become less relavent in the endorsement world as well.

LOL Also just throwing it out there, but missing a season would be stupid for the players because that would immediately be taking 10% of pay off their next 10 yrs of playing. A far worse deal than anything being proposed.

likemystylez
09-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Just let him cancel the season. Who cares. I'll watch Kobe in Italy and Lebron in China, and the NBA can just **** itself for a year.

the problem is... a lot of fans watch the nba to watch their team. My team doesnt play in Italy or in China... so the NBA is important. I dont care who wins games in those countrys... LOL and im not a casual fan who watches games for certain players... if I cared about individuals more than teams... Id just watch WWE.

SteBO
09-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Im not sure why people think the big stars are such a big deal, their vote doesnt matter more than the guys making less than 1.5 million around the league.

Infact- I would argue that the true superstars are less concerned about the 5-10% being taken off their basketball salarys. The Kobe Bryants, and lebron james' make more than 5 times as much money via endorsements as they do from their basketball contract. If there is no basketball season- they become less relavent in the endorsement world as well.

LOL Also just throwing it out there, but missing a season would be stupid for the players because that would immediately be taking 10% of pay off their next 10 yrs of playing. A far worse deal than anything being proposed.
That wasn't really the overriding point of my post, but yeah I get what you're saying. I'm not saying that their vote is relevant at this point, or at any point, but it isn't like they've been to the meetings up to now. It does say something that Dwyane, LeBron, and others as well are for sure going to the meeting in NY. I wish I could be in that room too. LeBron and Dan Gilbert could be face to face in the same room for the first time since he left CLE. That'd be kinda interesting.

likemystylez
09-29-2011, 09:58 AM

Well the 6% of BRI equates to more than an actual 10% of their salary. They previously had 57% of BRI, and losing 6% of that is more than 10% of salary. 6/57= X > .10.

But to top it off.... its kind of different. The players are offering to give up something that they already had. You are comparing that to the owners coming off their hardcap demands. There has never been a hardcap in basketball... the owners were asking for something that has never happened. The players gave up something that has been happening the last 6 years.

If the players originally came in and said they wanted 100% of BRI... then backed off to 60%... you could say that they backed off by 40% of their original demand.... which was an insane demand that has never happened anyway... much like the hard cap.

Yes the players get paid millions to play a game, the owners get paid hundreds of millions. Are they saving lives? or risking lives. I mean the players are risking their bodies atleast.

mttwlsn16
09-29-2011, 10:16 AM
http://thenolookpass.com/Pix/stern2k12.jpg

likemystylez
09-29-2011, 10:27 AM
http://thenolookpass.com/Pix/stern2k12.jpg

Nice!!!

Shmontaine
09-29-2011, 10:56 AM
in '98, negotiations went on and on, well into december and it was only until stern 'cancelled' the season that things got serious... after stern cancelled the season in '98 it was like 1-2 days and the two sides agreed on a new CBA... this is good, people...

stern cancelling a season doesn't cancel a season... check the history..

NYman15
09-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Not good news. The meetings this weekend are huge because if they don't progress we'll probably start seeing games being cancelled.

Missing56&33
09-29-2011, 11:01 AM
I know its a buisness and the players/owners are far apart but something must be done if this is allowed.

http://reallythink.blogspot.com/2005/10/what-are-knicks-thinking.html

likemystylez
09-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Not good news. The meetings this weekend are huge because if they don't progress we'll probably start seeing games being cancelled.

Not good news? I mean I understand it isnt a guarentee... but at this point, what would be good news? short of an agreement of course? The two sides will have to agree on something at some point if the season is to start?

Neither side is going to agree to a deal when there is still time for negotiating. LOL thats just basics.

todu82
09-29-2011, 11:19 AM
It's only September 29th yet, bit to early to be threatening to cancel the full season. I think a deal can be done soon, the owners just have to give a little more.

likemystylez
09-29-2011, 11:20 AM
I know its a buisness and the players/owners are far apart but something must be done if this is allowed.

http://reallythink.blogspot.com/2005/10/what-are-knicks-thinking.html

something was done, Iseah Thomas was fired... iseah Thomas making a mistake shouldnt cost the whole league a season... even if it was a huge mistake (figuritively and literally speaking)

likemystylez
09-29-2011, 11:22 AM
It's only September 29th yet, bit to early to be threatening to cancel the full season. I think a deal can be done soon, the owners just have to give a little more.

Given the time frame, its about time to think about the nov 1st season. I say less than a week. BTW- David Stern hasnt officially threatened anything.... this is one reporter stating what they believe stern will do this weekend.

DoMeFavors
09-29-2011, 12:56 PM
the problem is... a lot of fans watch the nba to watch their team. My team doesnt play in Italy or in China... so the NBA is important. I dont care who wins games in those countrys... LOL and im not a casual fan who watches games for certain players... if I cared about individuals more than teams... Id just watch WWE.

WWE is so boring now, 10 years ago I wouldnt miss a RAW or Smackdown. Now the wrestlers are all boring and its like a kid show.

Foye
09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Sucks. Just get something done and have a season. I need some basketball action.

da ThRONe
09-29-2011, 01:18 PM
I don't really care either way. As much as I love the NBA I'll find something else to entertain myself until they get this together.
I don't think empty threats will work though.

smith&wesson
09-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Despiration tactics. i wonder if he realizes the nba itself will lose more then the players and or owners. the nba is at its all time most popular era but the increased popularity will be deflaited by cancled season.

RipCity32
09-29-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm really starting to lose interest in this crap I'm just worried about the NFL right now so I can hold out for a while without basketball

COOLbeans
09-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Well the 6% of BRI equates to more than an actual 10% of their salary. They previously had 57% of BRI, and losing 6% of that is more than 10% of salary. 6/57= X > .10.

But to top it off.... its kind of different. The players are offering to give up something that they already had. You are comparing that to the owners coming off their hardcap demands. There has never been a hardcap in basketball... the owners were asking for something that has never happened. The players gave up something that has been happening the last 6 years.

If the players originally came in and said they wanted 100% of BRI... then backed off to 60%... you could say that they backed off by 40% of their original demand.... which was an insane demand that has never happened anyway... much like the hard cap.

Yes the players get paid millions to play a game, the owners get paid hundreds of millions. Are they saving lives? or risking lives. I mean the players are risking their bodies atleast.

here's the thing Stylez. The owners are most likely losing money across the board in most of their other buisiness ventures and investments. The US economy is tanking steadily in almost every industry. Owning an NBA team is no longer a toy business that owners can play around with, losing money, and playing around with millions of dollars since they were probably making it back in their other successful businesses. It's just not good business when you're a business owner who is losing money. Noone could have seen the economy tanking as it stands today which is why the CBA needs to be restructured so the owners don't lose millions of dollars on their investment which was made when the economy was better in every arena of American industry.

Likemystylez, wouldn't you have done the same thing if you were losing as much money as the owners have been the past few years or so if almost every business venture that you're involved in was losing significant income??

Raps18-19 Champ
09-29-2011, 02:56 PM

The owners risk their money though. I have no problem for them to gain millions because they put their own millions at risk in doing so.

bagwell368
09-29-2011, 03:00 PM
ha reminds me of a parent of a spoiled child giving a threat that both child, parent, and audience know will never be followed up on.

nonsensical posturing by the resident NBA buffon/paranoid loser.

Kevj77
09-29-2011, 03:21 PM
The owners risk their money though. I have no problem for them to gain millions because they put their own millions at risk in doing so.It's true they put their own money at risk, but a business if it isn't profitable should be allowed to fail. The NBA will never allow a franchise to fail though.

Shmontaine
09-29-2011, 03:34 PM
It's true they put their own money at risk, but a business if it isn't profitable should be allowed to fail. The NBA will never allow a franchise to fail though.

??? ehh, no... there are plenty of franchises that fail... bobcats?? twolves?? Milwauke?? they fail in the league and in the books...

what is this 'business should be allowed to fail' nonsense... at the expense of their own employees??

Anilyzer
09-29-2011, 08:51 PM
http://thenolookpass.com/pix/stern2k12.jpg

haha!! awesome

LA_Raiders
09-29-2011, 09:42 PM
PLayers dont care... **** Stern too

Cano4prez
09-29-2011, 09:46 PM
NBA insider Chris Sheridan said Thursday that he would be surprised if the owners and players don't have a deal done by Tuesday.
It's just one man's opinion and he has been on the optimistic side thus far, but he's also plugged in and makes some valid points (interview linked below). Like many, he believes the split will be closer to 50/50 and that the owners will have exacted their pound of flesh at that point. At this point, it seems like the rub is whether or not David Stern can convince hard-line owners to not run the score up.
Source: ESPN.com Sep 29 - 9:35 PM

rotoworld

Would post interview but can't find it

NYman15
09-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Wow. That would be great. Chris Sheridan has been optimistic from the start. However, I have to see it to believe it.

3mikee_
09-29-2011, 10:44 PM
The conditions for relaxing the hard cap stance sounded pretty good to me. I don't know why the players aren't jumping at the opportunity. Yea they are going to be paid significantly less, but it's a million times better than the hard cap that the owners are so intent on getting not so long ago.

Stack_NJNets
09-29-2011, 10:48 PM
im calling his bluff

Word

DwayneMVPwade
09-29-2011, 11:23 PM
hopefully they can get a deal this Friday

CeeDub15
09-29-2011, 11:43 PM
^Nah man. Not gonna happen tomorrow, but i think they could get the framework of a deal done this weekend if Sheriden is right. When i read what players/people are saying, i cant help but to be optimistic about this.

beasted86
09-30-2011, 12:01 AM
??? ehh, no... there are plenty of franchises that fail... bobcats?? twolves?? Milwauke?? they fail in the league and in the books...

what is this 'business should be allowed to fail' nonsense... at the expense of their own employees??

Teams losing money have been borrowing money from the league for a while now

likemystylez
09-30-2011, 12:29 AM
^Nah man. Not gonna happen tomorrow, but i think they could get the framework of a deal done this weekend if Sheriden is right. When i read what players/people are saying, i cant help but to be optimistic about this.

even if they start to get the framework, dont expect either side to come out to the press and say a deal is close. There is no deal, until everything is figured out... having said that, once they agree on the bri split... figuring the rest out should be doable in a given amount of time.

LOl I dont think even the stingiest owners are gonna lose a season over the contract length on the vets minimum, or a 3rd yr player option for second round draft picks.

CeeDub15
09-30-2011, 01:37 AM
^Yeah man, i know, im just tellin the dude that dont expect something done by tomorrow lol.

They wont come out and say something is done, but im sure we will get an idea on when it could be done by sometime this weekend.