PDA

View Full Version : Steve Bartman

cavsbluejackets
09-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Saw a 30 on 30 on him and feel bad for the guy. Must of felt horrible. He took all the crap though and didn't fight anyone.

Just felt like bringing this back.

Do you think he never comes out ha?

Vandelay16
09-27-2011, 10:18 PM
When the Cubs Win it all. They might reach out to him.

09-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Two things that stand out.

1. Douche next to Bartman reached for the ball as much as he did and then acted like he had nothing to do with it.

2. Bartman makes everyone forget about Alex Gonzalez.

Diehdcubsfan2
09-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Criminal? (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=steve+bartman&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=595&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=YqwsdLMvihJ25M:&imgrefurl=http://www.infohip.com/forwards/pictures/cubsfan.htm&docid=FyPmy0H0a7faqM&w=588&h=539&ei=jYSCTqaRAcSQsQKju8SfDw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=476&page=1&tbnh=113&tbnw=123&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0&tx=77&ty=54)

keymax
09-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Seeing this 8 years later, the crowds reaction is embarassing for humanity. But it's just natural to look for someone to blame in the heat of the moment.
I can understand that, it was just a mob mentality that bulit up and gained momentum the more people were involved. It happens all over the world.
But the only guy who rubbed me the wrong way was that "tough guy" who spilled beer over him and seems to be kind of proud of it even after so many years have passed.

BigBlueCrew
09-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Gotta love Moises Alou reaction :rolleyes:, 8 years later "Oh yeah im sure I would have caught the ball had he not interfered." What an ahole.

gotoHcarolina52
09-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Cubs were up 3-1 in the 2003 NLCS after four games. Then they lost Game 5 4-0. After the Bartman incident in Game 6, the Marlins scored 8 runs in the eighth inning alone. The Cubs still had another chance to win the series in Game 7, played in Wrigley. They lost 9-6.

The Marlins went on to defeat a 101-win Yankees team in six games, even though the Yanks held home field advantage.

Looking at the two rosters a second time, it becomes clear that, Bartman or no Bartman, the better team won.

More-Than-Most
09-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Would this still be a big deal had it been a fan of the other team?

09-27-2011, 10:30 PM

He would happy and a hero to Marlins fans (don't laugh).

Dallas Tx4Life
09-27-2011, 10:33 PM
I feel bad for him for sure... I just can't believe how ****** those fans were.. They definitely helped the Marlins out A LOT.. Giving up on your team before the series is over, much less the game is just wack. And yeah, Gonzalez is more to blame in my opinion... What's funny is that according to rules, it should have been an out. Oh well.. Everyone's life is the same as before except for that poor little man.

Oh and Moises Alou and Ramirez talking about getting plane tickets back home before game 7.. That's pretty ridiculous in itself. You can't win if the players give up beforehand.

keymax
09-27-2011, 10:34 PM

I'm asking myself the same question,same with Buckner.Has to be about that perceived curse.
It just seems that the Red Sox and the Cubs see(saw) themselves as cursed.
The Phillies had a 77 year long drought and the White Sox an 88 year long drought and nobody said a word about them being "cursed".

chicagofan71
09-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Seeing this 8 years later, the crowds reaction is embarassing for humanity. But it's just natural to look for someone to blame in the heat of the moment.
I can understand that, it was just a mob mentality that bulit up and gained momentum the more people were involved. It happens all over the world.
But the only guy who rubbed me the wrong way was that "tough guy" who spilled beer over him and seems to be kind of proud of it even after so many years have passed.

You really nailed it, and I give you even more respect coming from a White Sox fan. Great post

09-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Wrong thread. Thought this was the playoff thread.

DodgerBulls
09-27-2011, 10:39 PM
He would happy and a hero to Marlins fans (don't laugh).

The other Bush suggested that he should move to Florida which I think is a bit of a douche thing to say.

keymax
09-27-2011, 10:49 PM
You really nailed it, and I give you even more respect coming from a White Sox fan. Great post

Thanks, I'm not an anti-Cubs guy to me they're a just a NL team like the Padres. Sure playing the Cubs is more fun since you can talk smack to all your friends and coworkers. But at the end of the day it's just another interleague series.

Back to topic: What's really inexcusable isn't the behaviour of the fans at the ballpark. But the media coverage was blown out of proportions.
They were at his house for weeks, you couldn't watch WGN without hearing about Bartman. If the media handled it differently, especially if FOX wouldn't have shown closeups for so long, this wouldn't be that big of a story and everybody would have been ready to move on.
But all this blowing the ball up, trying to locate him, trying to interview him and so on was just way over the top. It just shows how today's media can ruin somebody's life.

Diehdcubsfan2
09-27-2011, 10:49 PM
When the Cubs win the World series next year, Steve will be forgiven.

Tmo440
09-27-2011, 10:51 PM
None of this Steve Bartman crap would have happened if Alex Gonzalez would have gotten in front of that very easy 6 4 3 double play. That was the turning point in the game. Sure the Alou's play killed the energy in the stadium, but only if Gonzalez had made that very routine double play none of this would have happened. Even to this day, i've never put the blame on Bartmen it was Gonzalez's miscue that cost us the game.

RTL
09-27-2011, 10:55 PM
It just goes to show how stupid the majority of the people are in a stadium at any given time. It was a foul ball, nothing more. Prior could have come right back and struck him out, Alex Gonzalez could have gotten the double play, Baker could have come pulled Prior before the game got out of hand, etc. Everyone blamed the guy and everyone would have done the same damn thing he did. I wish I could find the stupid *******s that poured beer on him!! ****ing morons!!

mttwlsn16
09-27-2011, 10:59 PM
everyone around him reached for it too...he doesnt deserve all that blame

hoggin88
09-27-2011, 11:01 PM
It was way too easy to get caught in the heat of the moment. I was watching that game with my dad and I think we pretty much blocked out Gonzalez botching the dp we were still so blinded with anger against Bartman. Sure it was irrational but we weren't thinking clearly at the time. It wasn't until the next day probably that I really took a step back and put it in perspective. It's embarrassing that it even took me a full day, let alone years like some others.

RTL
09-27-2011, 11:02 PM
And it just how irresponsible could the media have been?? Giving out the man's name and place of work?? ****ing vultures!

fingerbang
09-27-2011, 11:03 PM
A team that isn't mentally tough enough to overcome fan interference isn't going to win the world series anyway. They completely **** their pants in that inning. Winners don't scapegoat their failures.

The Boztalian
09-27-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm asking myself the same question,same with Buckner.Has to be about that perceived curse.
The Phillies had a 77 year long drought and the White Sox an 88 year long drought and nobody said a word about them being "cursed".

Yes they did. All Philly teams were supposedly cursed after a building was built taller than the William Pen statue in the early 80s.

I can see you are a white sox fan, which is why im surprised you didnt know about the "black sox" supposed curse....with the whole thing about them throwing the WS for cash back in 1918 or whatever year it was

KingPosey
09-27-2011, 11:04 PM
What is ******** is Alou came and said 4YEARS LATER that he had no chance to catch that ball. Let that kid suffer for years before admitting the truth, and people still act like he is the reason the Cubs dint win. The Cubs didnt win because they werent going to win regardless.

The Boztalian
09-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Two things that stand out.

1. Douche next to Bartman reached for the ball as much as he did and then acted like he had nothing to do with it.

2. Bartman makes everyone forget about Alex Gonzalez.

1. A computerized replay, eliminating the crowd from the scene, shows that the ball was on track to fall directly into Alou's glove.

2. Yes, the Cubs imploded after that and can only blame themselves for things like the gonzalez error. But Luis Castillo hit a triple that started the rally, and that triple would not have happened had bartman not interfered. there would have been 2 outs in the inning, and the massive rally to follow probably would not have happened

The Boztalian
09-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Bottom line: the cubs screwed themselves, and couldnt overcome the interference. prior hit the wall and baker didnt realize it. But...had bartman not interfered...things very well may have been different.

KingPosey
09-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Gotta love Moises Alou reaction :rolleyes:, 8 years later "Oh yeah im sure I would have caught the ball had he not interfered." What an ahole.

really? I remember when Alou admitted he was never gonna catch that ball.

keymax
09-27-2011, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=RTL;19307874]It just goes to show how stupid the majority of the people are in a stadium at any given time. /QUOTE]
I disagree.
It just shows how much influence the environment has on any humin being.

Some other examples that show you how much influence other humans have on you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese
Or mass-suggestion. If somebody in a group says he heard/smelled/saw something that doesn't exist and someone says the same thing.More and more people will claim the same thing just to be a part of that group.
Or the Nazi-regime in Germany, and so on...

keymax
09-27-2011, 11:11 PM
Yes they did. All Philly teams were supposedly cursed after a building was built taller than the William Pen statue in the early 80s.

I can see you are a white sox fan, which is why im surprised you didnt know about the "black sox" supposed curse....with the whole thing about them throwing the WS for cash back in 1918 or whatever year it was

I didn't know about the Philly stuff, but I can't think of anybody who said the White Sox were "cursed", they just sucked.

mdlr52192
09-27-2011, 11:11 PM
As a Marlins fan, Alou would've caught the ball, it was going straight for the glove. Also, it wasn't a 30 for 30, just an ESPN film, they already had their 30 films

mdlr52192
09-27-2011, 11:13 PM

He did say that, but I think he said it to get some of the blame off Bartman, the guy who did the film traveled to the Dominican Republic and found Alou and asked, and Alou said that he would've caught it, he said he was looking at the ball and it was going into the glove until Bartman hit it, and if you watch the extensive video replays, the ball was going into the glove.

BigBlueCrew
09-27-2011, 11:13 PM

yeah I know. he did admit it to Jim Litke.

09-27-2011, 11:19 PM
1. A computerized replay, eliminating the crowd from the scene, shows that the ball was on track to fall directly into Alou's glove.

2. Yes, the Cubs imploded after that and can only blame themselves for things like the gonzalez error. But Luis Castillo hit a triple that started the rally, and that triple would not have happened had bartman not interfered. there would have been 2 outs in the inning, and the massive rally to follow probably would not have happened

My point was that the guy next to Bartman acted like he did nothing after the incident. I believe he may have even pointed Bartman out to security. Funny how he was going after the ball just as much as Bartman.

TheRazorboy
09-27-2011, 11:20 PM
I have it recorded, and I'm looking forward to watching it. Alex Gibney is a pretty brilliant documentarian.

mdlr52192
09-27-2011, 11:23 PM
The guy in the gray sweatshirt talks about how he went for it, but he missed it, and they talk about how he was close to being Bartman, and there was an article on ESPN talking about how he got abuse and **** at first because a lot of people remember the dude in the gray sweatshirt, but once Bartman's name came out and ****, people focused on Bartman. The only thing that pissed me off was that the guy said that once he saw Alou was going for it, he backed away, but from the footage it clearly shows that he never saw Alou until after Bartman hit the ball away. The other thing that got me was how people were offering thousands to Bartman and the guy who picked up the ball sold it for 100,000 while Bartman didn't take a dime.

gocubs2118
09-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Cubs fans don't even blame him anymore. It's the stupid media that keeps bringing it up.

rampagefan20
09-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Bartman in my opinion is a true fan. I heard from the media that he still loves his cubs even tho ALL of chicago turn there back on him. Using Bartman as a scapegoat is childish. There was still 5 outs to be made. Another game, 2007 NLCS vs the Dbacks. The Billy goats curse is so stupied. Its the fans fault, Cubs fault and the medias fault the cubs suck. If your going to let a freaking goat decide if u win a ws or not is sad. In thats case im going to put a curse on all of baseball and the dbacks will win every year. Call it the curse of the great Dbags. How about the Cubs get players that dont complely SUCK!!! This curse thing is all in there head. CUBS fans ruined Bartmans life not Bartman. Any cubs fan would have been sitting there would have went for the ball. ALL OF THEM

fin_frenzy_84
09-27-2011, 11:54 PM
If the cubs ever win the world series should they let bartman throw the opening day pitch? It would be respectful to let him do it and it is the right thing to do but there is still idiot fans out there.

rampagefan20
09-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Hell no they shouldnt. They should let him NOW. To say srry for ruining his life. It wouldnt mean anything to me if they let me AFTER they won.

Jeffy25
09-28-2011, 01:40 AM
Recorded it and watched it tonight.

Glad they made that, Bartman always got such an unfair treatment from all of this

Jeffy25
09-28-2011, 01:41 AM

If Jeffrey Maier happened in Baltimore against the Yankees, it might even be worse.

But instead, that kid was hero.

Jeffy25
09-28-2011, 01:44 AM
The thing that saddens me the most, is that he wanted nothing more than to watch the Cubbies reach the world series, regardless if he really did interfere or not, he was ostracized for something he didn't even want to happen in the first place.

The documentary was great, the people sitting around him were interviewed, and all basically said they went after the ball too. It just reached Steve

VRP723
09-28-2011, 01:44 AM
I understand it's human nature, I understand other people were reaching for it, I understand Gonzalez botched a DP ball, but if this were the Dodgers, I'd never forgive him. So I get it Cubs fans.

gotoHcarolina52
09-28-2011, 01:47 AM
All the fans that harassed, threatened and bullied Bartman should be tarred, feathered and hung up to dry in the public square.

Tragedy
09-28-2011, 02:10 AM
When the Cubs Win it all. They might reach out to him.
Sort of like what the Sox did with Buckner. It'd be nice if he was able to throw out a first pitch the year after the World Series win and the crowd gave him a massive reaction.

Really a shame the way that people are too invested into sports sending death threats and such.

GoatMilk
09-28-2011, 02:16 AM
steve lyons was all over this doc lol

i felt bad for bartman
im sorry, but it was 1 play that im still not convinced alou catches
SS f'd up, pitching sucked, they still had a game 7

papipapsmanny
09-28-2011, 02:19 AM
lol blame the goat and a fan for sucking

at least the red sox curse back in the day made a little more sense..... cursed for trading one of the best players of all time to your rival by the baseball Gods.

Bartmann should not have been blamed for the cubs giving up 8 runs, just like buckner should not have been blamed for giving up the two runs before his play and losing game 7 later.

Diehdcubsfan2
09-28-2011, 02:21 AM
Curses are now a competition.

Jeffy25
09-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Should Diektenger be blamed any worse than Bartman?

There were still more outs to get and another game to finish the other team off to win.

As a Cards fan, while I hate thinking about the 85 series, I don't hate DD, I don't think you really can, it's not fair.

Freel for prez
09-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Your not cursed...you just have horribly sucked for 103 years...face the facts.

Diehdcubsfan2
09-28-2011, 02:25 AM
Yeah for the majority of those years thats true.

Jeffy25
09-28-2011, 02:26 AM
Started in the Merkle game :)

papipapsmanny
09-28-2011, 02:32 AM
+ the Cubs havent even been to a WS in what? 66 years

Chi StateOfMind
09-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Great documentary. I cant imagine what he went thru. Feel so sorry for him. And the media givin up his name, address, work is absolute bull. If he woulda been killed, my god, the media woulda blamed outraged cub fans.

GoatMilk
09-28-2011, 02:34 AM
i would love to see how he looks now

12evolution 9
09-28-2011, 02:41 AM
man ... what an ugly showing of human beings that night.... as a marlins fan then i was so happy and Bartman became my hero, but now ... man that guy did not deserve that ... how did he not get in a fight !!! oh and the MEDIA... i would have burned the persons house who leaked my info out in the news like that... bro that dude could have died...

but the story was too much worth it ... **** em man **** em

RTL
09-28-2011, 02:58 AM
I disagree.
It just shows how much influence the environment has on any humin being.

Some other examples that show you how much influence other humans have on you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese
Or mass-suggestion. If somebody in a group says he heard/smelled/saw something that doesn't exist and someone says the same thing.More and more people will claim the same thing just to be a part of that group.
Or the Nazi-regime in Germany, and so on...

I have no idea what point you are trying to make to counter my point.

RTL
09-28-2011, 03:03 AM
i would love to see how he looks now

I bet he's gained 40 lbs of muscle so people think twice about saying something! :)

It was so cool to see the Little League team he coached come out and say how great a baseball person he was and how much they learned from him. I bet he was a better, smarter fan than every moron chanting A-S-S-H-O-L-E, pouring beer on him and calling in morning radio shows blaming him.

keymax
09-28-2011, 03:24 AM
I have no idea what point you are trying to make to counter my point.

The point that Wrigley Field isn't or wasn't filled with idiots. It was a dynamic that could have happened anywhere else not necessarily in a ballpark.

RTL
09-28-2011, 03:31 AM
The point that Wrigley Field isn't or wasn't filled with idiots. It was a dynamic that could have happened anywhere else not necessarily in a ballpark.

And the majority of people are naive and stupid which goes to my point.

keymax
09-28-2011, 03:36 AM
edit: nvm

justndav
09-28-2011, 04:21 AM
I bleed Cubbie blue, been a fan of the team forever. The night the game was on and this happened I was initially fuming at how a fan could have interferred with an out. Especially as my Cubs were so close to getting into the World Series. But when you step back and look at things- yes a double play hit to Alex Gonzalez wasn't made, Prior was tiring fast and Baker didn't realize it, and other fans in the stands were trying to reach for the ball too. This was not Steve Bartman's fault. Plain and simple. I cried for days after the Cubs lost the series to the Marlins, was sad for weeks/months even. But point is the Cubs are to blame for losing those remaining games when they only needed to win one more after being up 3-1 on the Marlins.

I sincerely hope someday Steve can be invited back to Wrigley and all can be forgiven.

Also when you sit down in the area he was it can be difficult to see if there is a player on the field there trying to field a pop up/fly ball too the way the brick wall is structured down both lines- trust me I've sat in the seats down both lines....

Freel for prez
09-28-2011, 05:55 AM
I bleed Cubbie blue, been a fan of the team forever. The night the game was on and this happened I was initially fuming at how a fan could have interferred with an out. Especially as my Cubs were so close to getting into the World Series. But when you step back and look at things- yes a double play hit to Alex Gonzalez wasn't made, Prior was tiring fast and Baker didn't realize it, and other fans in the stands were trying to reach for the ball too. This was not Steve Bartman's fault. Plain and simple. I cried for days after the Cubs lost the series to the Marlins, was sad for weeks/months even. But point is the Cubs are to blame for losing those remaining games when they only needed to win one more after being up 3-1 on the Marlins.

I sincerely hope someday Steve can be invited back to Wrigley and all can be forgiven.

Also when you sit down in the area he was it can be difficult to see if there is a player on the field there trying to field a pop up/fly ball too the way the brick wall is structured down both lines- trust me I've sat in the seats down both lines....

You seriously cried for days over the cubs losing?! and you were sad for months!? HAHAHAHA wow, are all cubs fans like that? Man up.

Diehdcubsfan2
09-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Well your kind of a dick. It was a very difficult time for Cubs fans then. Most were in shambles. Thats a hard thing to shake.

ahoda
09-28-2011, 07:10 AM
Takes one to know one. It's sports. If people cried after that I would hate to see them after one of their parents died or their dog runs away.

koldjerky
09-28-2011, 07:17 AM
So something you invest your time in is something you aren't allowed to get emotional over? Crying over a game is no different than being angry which I'm sure any avid sports fan has. In the end it is just a game, but to say there aren't emotional ties to a favorite team and comparing crying over a game as the same as crying over a death than that's just asinine. You can shed tears for more than just one thing. God forbid someone shows emotion that doesn't involve throwing **** or yelling at the TV.

ahoda
09-28-2011, 07:44 AM
And in the end life goes on. It's a game.

masTOR_shake1
09-28-2011, 08:08 AM
yea he got a raw deal, such a shame. he was just acting in the moment trying to catch a foul ball as anyone of us would have done and he gets crucified for it, as if seeing his team lose the nlcs alone wasn't enough. the real scumbags are the sensationalistic journalists who dug deep to find out who he was and then release all of his information (name, place of residence, place of work etc), disgusting.

Diehdcubsfan2
09-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Takes one to know one. It's sports. If people cried after that I would hate to see them after one of their parents died or their dog runs away.

Yeah I am a dick. But that doesn't really make your point now does it. And by the way, what a stupid *** argument you just made.

ahoda
09-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Yeah I am a dick. But that doesn't really make your point now does it. And by the way, what a stupid *** argument you just made.

Oh boo hoo. The Cubs lost. Oh whoa as me. Time to cry for life doesn't go on.

ManningToTyree
09-28-2011, 09:07 AM
I think everyone feels for the guy. I blame Alou for how he is treated to this day. Yelling and screaming like a child. It would have been an amazing catch.

pjstjkvc16
09-28-2011, 09:56 AM
I agree with the above that this is mostly a result of how Aloud reacted. If you think about it though, nothing he did was against the rules. He didn't go into the field of play. I know it's easy for us people to sit here and think, "Yes, in a situation like that where a player has a chance to catch the ball, don't interfere and get out of the way." But the chances of that actually happening are small for a given fan and so when the fan is actually faced with it, they don't think. Of all the fans that were dogging him at the game or on the internet, I'd bet my life that at least half of them probably would have done the same thing. Ticks me off hearing a girl in one of the videos call him "a ****ing idiot". I mean, how can you berate the guy like that. He looked harmless and so scared. I'd never join in on what people were doing if I saw someone as helpless as him.

mdlr52192
09-28-2011, 10:30 AM
You know who the Cubs fans should go after? Bernie Mac for saying, "Root root root for the CHAMPS!" in the 7th inning stretch...oh wait...

F*(&"Next Year"
09-28-2011, 10:57 AM
You seriously cried for days over the cubs losing?! and you were sad for months!? HAHAHAHA wow, are all cubs fans like that? Man up.

I cried when the sox won in 2004. Legitimately cried. Was one of the best moments in my life.

When my team loses in huge spots (2000 Superbowl) I don't cry but I get upset and usually very angry.

There is nothing wrong with getting emotional about sports. There are those ESPN commercials that say "It's not crazy. It's sports." and they are so true. I've watched thousands and thousands of hours of sports games in person or otherwise. Why should I not get emotional?

F*(&"Next Year"
09-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Also, I have nothing but respect for Steve Bartman. He is a true fan, and I could never imagine going through what he has gone through.
Directly from Wiki

Trying to maintain a low profile, Bartman declined interviews, endorsement deals, and requests for public appearances, and his family changed their phone number to avoid harassing phone calls.[10] He requested that any gifts sent to him by Florida Marlins fans be donated to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.[11] In July 2008, Bartman was offered $25,000 to autograph a picture of himself at National Sports Collectors Convention in Rosemont, Illinois, but he refused the offer.[12] He declined to appear as a VIP at Wrigley Field. In 2011, 8 years after the incident, he declined to appear in an ESPN documentary, and he declined a six figure offer to appear in a Super Bowl commercial.[13]
Thats a pretty stand up guy to refuse offers that he would capitalize on from making a mistake.

benzni
09-28-2011, 11:10 AM

Just means he is a true sports fan. Your just too cool sir:clap:

gotoHcarolina52
09-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Also, I have nothing but respect for Steve Bartman. He is a true fan, and I could never imagine going through what he has gone through.
Directly from Wiki

Thats a pretty stand up guy to refuse offers that he would capitalize on from making a mistake.

I think he declined all that because he's still scared shitless and doesn't want the public to recognize him. To this day, we still don't have a clear image of what he looks like. And I think he'd rather keep it that way.

F*(&"Next Year"
09-28-2011, 11:17 AM
I think he declined all that because he's still scared shitless and doesn't want the public to recognize him. To this day, we still don't have a clear image of what he looks like. And I think he'd rather keep it that way.

25k for an autograph? Hes not getting his picture out there that way. He donated everything marlins fans sent him to charity?

MauryPovich
09-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Curse of Billy Penn= phils

ccugrad1
09-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Cubs fans can get on Steve Bartman all they want, but they still had a Game 7 even with losing Game 6 and guess what, they couldn't get it done. The Cubs and their fans were and still are looking for a scapegoat for the fact that they got beaten by the Marlins.

fadedmario
09-28-2011, 11:42 AM
I watched this film as well. What a crazy story. The man can't be too bad of a person considering he's turned down hundreds of thousands of dollars to make appearances. Hopefully the Cubs win it someday so he can be let off the hook.

85BearsDefense
09-28-2011, 11:50 AM
In no way shape or form did that one play lose the Cubs that series but it played a huge part in what followed...

eibbor
09-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Any real Cubs fan doesn't blame Bartman for what happened in that series. Even if he COULD have caught it... Let's be honest, catch or no catch we played like chit the rest of the way.

"Everywhere I play, even now, people still yell, 'Bartman! Bartman!' I feel really bad for the kid," Alou told Associated Press columnist Jim Litke.

"You know what the funny thing is?" he added a moment later. "I wouldn't have caught it, anyway."

~ Moises Alou

justinnum1
09-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Cubs were up 3-1 in the 2003 NLCS after four games. Then they lost Game 5 4-0. After the Bartman incident in Game 6, the Marlins scored 8 runs in the eighth inning alone. The Cubs still had another chance to win the series in Game 7, played in Wrigley. They lost 9-6.

The Marlins went on to defeat a 101-win Yankees team in six games, even though the Yanks held home field advantage.

Looking at the two rosters a second time, it becomes clear that, Bartman or no Bartman, the better team won.

this

DJYankee
09-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Like another fan posted in the first page. The Gonzalez play and the fact they had a game 7 the next day. Shouldn't blame Bartman. Then again we have the Jeffrey Maier incident which a lot of people would say started our dynasty run...

wiggy13
09-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Being a Cubs fan my whole life, watching that last night was pretty tough. But it was kind of an eye opener. It definitely feels like people have almost completely forgotten everything happened after the "Bartman" situation. I was never one to criticize him, and I truly felt bad for the guy. But even I almost forgot about everything that happened after, the hits, the errors, etc. It was sad to see Cubby nation tear down one of our own that night. And I like how someone pointed out the fact that they still could have won. Everyone also forgets about that, there is no reason they couldn't have won game 7 at home, especially with one of their aces on the mound..

ILMindState
09-28-2011, 12:57 PM
I used to work in the same company as him. If you sent the guy an email or IM you would get fired.

mdlr52192
09-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Also there's the fact that prior to that they could've clinched it in Game 5.

Soxsnation4life
09-28-2011, 01:03 PM
The Cubs blew a 3-1 lead. All Bartman did was mess up one stinking in the 8th inning. The Marlins ended up scoring like 8 runs that inning and the Cubs STILL had a chance to win game 7 and couldn't. Bartman is nothing but a scapegoat and had little to no effect on the out come of the series. PERIOD

fishfan79
09-28-2011, 02:23 PM

this

shizzle09
09-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Cowardly move by cubs fans at that game. Chanting ******* over and over because their team freaking failed miserably. Reminds me of Buckner when they all blamed him for not stopping the ball that would have kept the game tied when Stanley threw the wild pitch allowing the mets to tie the game. It's a joke. I can understand the frustrations of the fans but the level this was taken to is sad. Feel really bad for the kid. I couldnt imagine having that feeling he did after he realized he had an impact on a huge game for his cubs. You know he's a die hard baseball fan when you listen to the radio while at a game live. Jus saying. It's over and Bartman should be forgiven even before the cubs win a world series. it wasnt his fault they gave up 8 runs after that.

theheatles
09-28-2011, 07:17 PM
i thought the a-hole chants were kind of funny but the ppl yelling out death threats and throwing beer and other objects at him crosses the line

Wade>You
09-28-2011, 09:25 PM
There's a lot of people that give Chicago a bad name. I feel sorry for Bartman since the fans blamed and threatened him and pretty much ruined his life.

MetsFanatic19
09-28-2011, 09:37 PM
to think he (and everyone else) gets one life on this planet, and his was spoiled by trying to catch a ball.