PDA

View Full Version : Greatest tragedy in sports history

kingsdelez24
09-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't know how many people have seen these. I know a lot of kings fans saw these videos.

I've noticed a lot of kobe and laker homers refrain from mentioning the 2002 WCF, so I've decided to post these videos on the forum.

Give some feedback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdOe4IxIvo0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlD7IZ-DyeI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpkyXOZEFHA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K7WRxuYs9w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDyBXNSPGMQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxTjOPImyts&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbxrAPO0iTg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVDiXVD2HoU&feature=related

KnicksorBust
09-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Len Bias.

knightstemplar
09-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Free Throw Attempts

Game 1: 22-17 LA (LA wins)
Game 2: 38-25 Sac (Sac win)
Game 3: 35-15 Sac (Sac win) (Largest discrepancy of the series)
Game 4: 27-26 LA (LA wins)
Game 5: 33-23 Sac (Sac win)
Game 6: 40-25 LA (LA wins)
Game 7: 33-30 LA (LA wins)

KnicksorBust
09-27-2011, 07:49 PM
I have seen those videos though and I recommend them for any real basketball fan. Take the time and watch the whole series.

knightstemplar
09-27-2011, 07:50 PM
its been 9 years since LA beat there ***, move on

iggypop123
09-27-2011, 08:34 PM
game 5 was fixed, but it was against LA. Game 6 was fixed against the kings. kings shot more ft's than the lakers that series with a prime shaq. its so interesting ft's gather everyones attention because it was precisely ft's that doomed the kings. they choked their fts in game 7.

lakers4sho
09-27-2011, 08:49 PM
greatest tragedy is if we don't get a season at all this year

THE GIPPER
09-27-2011, 09:03 PM
ive seen this series its actually pretty interesting

AntiG
09-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Len Bias.

him, Korey Stringer, Reggie Lewis.

Or actually... The Marshall football team.

Cal827
09-27-2011, 09:06 PM
This year in Hockey a whole Russian team were killed in a plane crash. Contained some former NHLers on the team too.

kingkenny01
09-27-2011, 09:09 PM
what cub fans did to steve bartman

Sactown
09-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Obviously the series was fixed lol... anyone who says anything else is high

knicksfan42
09-27-2011, 09:22 PM
I have seen those videos though and I recommend them for any real basketball fan. Take the time and watch the whole series.

I have watched every single one two years ago though it was painful to watch.

knightstemplar
09-27-2011, 09:22 PM

fixed for both sides

McPeak92
09-27-2011, 09:29 PM
not that you have a bias opinion or anything...

btw the sound effects in that video are annoying and suck.

knightstemplar
09-27-2011, 09:32 PM
not that you have a bias opinion or anything...

btw the sound effects in that video are annoying and suck.

lol, the videos cracked me up, all that dramtic, sad music

hgtiger32
09-27-2011, 09:42 PM
how is this a tragedy? :facepalm:

Bruno
09-27-2011, 09:47 PM

x2

:worthy: KoB

llemon
09-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Wendell Ladner, Maurice Stokes, Micheal Ray Richardson

Epic89
09-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Munich Olympics in '72

Shoeless Joe Jackson and Buck Weaver banned from MLB for life for Black Sox Scandal (Some accounts say Jackson wasn't involved at all, Weaver didn't take money but didn't sell out those who did).

llemon
09-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Munich Olympics in '72

Shoeless Joe Jackson and Buck Weaver banned from MLB for life for Black Sox Scandal (Some accounts say Jackson wasn't involved at all, Weaver didn't take money but didn't sell out those who did).

Ray Chapman

Anilyzer
09-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I don't know how many people have seen these. I know a lot of kings fans saw these videos.

I've noticed a lot of kobe and laker homers refrain from mentioning the 2002 WCF, so I've decided to post these videos on the forum.

Give some feedback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdOe4IxIvo0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlD7IZ-DyeI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpkyXOZEFHA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K7WRxuYs9w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDyBXNSPGMQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxTjOPImyts&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbxrAPO0iTg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVDiXVD2HoU&feature=related

oh jeez, this is such a worn out topic.

A few months ago in the Lakers forum I took the time to frame capture the sequence where Kobe goes around Bibby and Bibby falls down--the supposed "crown jewel" of the King's fans tragedy of injustice in the 2002 Finals.

I posted the pictures into the forum, but they were removed by the mods because you're not allowed to post pics.

Anyhow... suffice it to say that Bibby is clearly right up on Kobe, basically holding on to him with his legs, arms and body. As Kobe moves his arm around Bibby to try to get by him (the offensive player IS allowed to move unimpeded after all) watch what Bibby's leg is doing. He is pushing his leg right into Kobe's lower body and he is also trying to pull Kobe down on top of him. Then when this blatant foul fails he tries a desperate and dramatic flop.

epic FAIL

fadedmario
09-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Kings were robbed

Anilyzer
09-27-2011, 10:13 PM
I mean just look at the starting position of Bibby and Kobe on that play. Just look at where Bibby is BEFORE the elbow.

Bibby is right up on Kobe with his arms under Kobe's arms, essentially around his body holding him.

Which is an automatic foul right there. If the refs were favoring the Lakers, or even just being vigilant and fair, they call a foul on Bibby before the play even starts.

Kobe's elbow hits Bibby as he is trying to move his body, which he is allowed to do.

WTF with the idea that Bibby can prevent Kobe from moving.

It's so funny how much the Kings fans have tried to investigate this (non) issue

basketfan4life
09-28-2011, 02:49 AM
Wanna talk about fixed series? what about boston-la 2008? if boston players would take of kobe's jersey they still wouldnt call the damn whistle...every single game...

Game 2 of the series was nothing like this sports has ever seen...that leon powe guy shoot more free throws than all lakers team, can you believe it? i know alot of you hate both Kobe and Lakers, and won't accept anything, but it is what it is, at the end of the day Kobe has won 5 rings with LA despite being the worst treated star by the referees since 2004(dwight and carmelo now rivals to kobe in this area), i'm happy with that...

Anilyzer
09-29-2011, 05:20 AM
Wanna talk about fixed series? what about boston-la 2008? if boston players would take of kobe's jersey they still wouldnt call the damn whistle...every single game...

Game 2 of the series was nothing like this sports has ever seen...that leon powe guy shoot more free throws than all lakers team, can you believe it? i know alot of you hate both Kobe and Lakers, and won't accept anything, but it is what it is, at the end of the day Kobe has won 5 rings with LA despite being the worst treated star by the referees since 2004(dwight and carmelo now rivals to kobe in this area), i'm happy with that...

True... the Leon Powe shooting more FTs than Kobe and everybody combined was ridiculous. Especially if you watched that game, you can see that there is a LOT of contact, on both sides of the ball, going on throughout the game.

To me, the worst scenario was when Detroit beat the Lakers in 4 or 5 games in the Finals in 2003. THAT series, the league clearly had a motive, because they were freaked out by the false rape allegations against Kobe and the PR disaster for the league that might entail.

Detroit, going into that series, was averaging less than 70 points a game in the playoffs, but it was almost like the refs just decided that they would level the playing field and keep Detroit in the games--giving them points on many of their possessions. There were a few sequences in that series when so many fouls were called, the Lakers didn't even get a chance to bring the ball into the frontcourt. Lots of the "turnovers" in that series were weird/inexplicable travelling or carrying calls. So it would be like: Detroit misses shot-- FTs. Fisher gets inbound pass--travelling call. Detroit gets loose ball foul--FTs. Fisher brings ball up--illegal screen or foul away from the ball called on Lakers. Detroit misses shot: more FTs.

And the Lakers are just looking at each other like "Don't we even get to take a SHOT in this game?" That was the worst I've seen I think.

pjstjkvc16
09-29-2011, 05:59 AM
its been 9 years since LA beat there ***, move on

You can't even spell correctly, and we're supposed to listen to you?

MR.TRIPDUB
09-29-2011, 06:22 AM
This topic is so worn out. I think the question now should be how would they have fared against the nets? I really believe the nets would have given them a battle and can very much beat them. Shaq is the sole reason they lost. Nets-kings finals would have been more interesting.

MTar786
09-29-2011, 06:42 AM
many series were rigged. 2008 boston la was imo.. one of the games in the 2009 finals against orlando was rigged for orlando to win IMO and they still lost that very same game hahaha.. 2004 finals was rigged too imo.. im a lakers fan.. im sure many games were rigged for la to win too.. I just dont really care to acknowledge them.. for example the 2002 wcf.. game 6 was clearly rigged. im a fan of LA and i will admit it.. but i feel game 5 was rigged for sac town.. Besides, the kings choked at home in game 7.. missed double digit freethrows in the 4th and ot. The refs didnt give the series to LA or sactown.. they merely rigged the series to go to a game 7 and let things play out from there. Also the miami dallas series in 06 was rigged imo.. i also feel that the 2011 finals was not rigged so to speak... but favored slightly for dallas. i think the first 2 games the refs were favoring miami for iduno what reason and then they started to lean towards helping dallas.. weird i know.. but just my opinion.

ps. I dont blame kings fans for crying about this till today. I would also be upset if my team was rarely relevent in NBA history. This is no knock on sactown.. its just true. the last time you guys were relevent was in 02 pretty much. we could get over what happened in 04 and in 08 because we knew we'd be the best again very soon.. which we were in 09 and 10

note. I feel that in 04 the NBA was trying to show that team ball is better than superstar ball.. also a way to heat up the shaq and kobe drama as they knew shaq was looking for an extension and kobe was an unrestricted free agent (what better of a time to do all this?) end the lakers glory with a loss to a team orientated underdog just after the nba went through an era of quite the opposite with two mega stars dominating.. its the perfect story to tell imo. I think the nba sort of did the same thing to miami this year.. they used the heat to make a point that team ball is better than superstar ball. The real shame is that in Basketball thats not so much the case. superstar teams will win most of the time over team ball.

Andrew32
09-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Kings couldn't stop Shaq in 02 and he was actually hitting his FT's

Game 0ver.

The reffing may not have been great but I think it was fairly consistent over the course of the series and both the Kings and the Lakers had a fair shot at winning.

millerandco
09-29-2011, 08:15 AM
this video's need to be reedited badly goes for far tooooo long without that much evidence and just speculation from commentators. show actual game footage we can analyze

Baller1
09-29-2011, 12:27 PM
The Sonics moving is the biggest tragedy in sports history.

netsgiantsyanks
09-29-2011, 12:35 PM
travis outlaw

smith&wesson
09-29-2011, 01:23 PM
see to me this is a non issue. there was badd reffing in that series no doubt. BUT the reffing in the nba has been terrible for years. theres atleast one poorly called game in each play off season. in a 82 game season you see lots of games being called poorly.

its not just the kings. and it wasnt just in that series. bad reffing still exists today.

Hellcrooner
09-29-2011, 01:49 PM
i find highly disgusting that someone dubs that a Tradegy, when a month ago an ENTIRE PRO HOCKEY team DIED in an accident ( something that had happened before to Torino Fc , and Half Manchester Utd died in an accident too)

smith&wesson
09-29-2011, 02:02 PM
i find highly disgusting that someone dubs that a Tradegy, when a month ago an ENTIRE PRO HOCKEY team DIED in an accident ( something that had happened before to Torino Fc , and Half Manchester Utd died in an accident too)

i agree crooner.

Slimsim
09-29-2011, 02:04 PM
LA was the better team Maybe next time Sacramento Maybe

McPeak92
09-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Spygate>whinny kings fansgate

Raps18-19 Champ
09-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Kings losing is a bigger tragedy than athletes dying?

smith&wesson
09-29-2011, 04:33 PM

Give some feedback

the thing is with that kings team is that at the time they looked really good but having looked back at theyre careers now you can pretty much say that the teams best players really were over rated and didnt exactly prove to be "winners" over the course of theyre careers.

webber - injury prone
bibby - over rated at the time
divac- good centre but vs shaq ? cmon!
Peja stjakovic - injury prone
christie
hedo turkadoo - sophmore
gerald wallace -rookie

on paper the team looks solid but hedo and gerald wallace hardley even played being rookies and sophmores. the stars on that team were injury prone (webber & peja) theyre best interior presence was swallowed by shaq, divac never stood a chance. .christie was theyre best defender but he allowed rick fox to get in his head. . bibby was theyre only advantage considering he was better then any pg the lakers had at the time, but he couldnt be a difference maker over kobe and shaq.

it was actually a really good series and closer then ppl think. but lets face it when ever you got shaq in the line up and your best C's are divac and scott pollard your going to run in to foul trouble. shaq was extreamly hard to stop in his prime. alot of ppl seem to forget how dominating he was, you added kobe to that and its no suprize they won 3 ships together.

SundaeBest
09-29-2011, 04:47 PM
bahahahaha! Kings fanst still crying over their 5 minutes of fame that happened YEARS ago... Move on, Lakers fans have

colinskik
09-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Good grief this is dumb.

b0nk
09-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Vlade was in on the fix, and he's a former laker
he tapped the ball to Horry on purpose at the end of game 4 ;)

llemon
09-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Still going with Wendell Ladner. The NBA was deprived of one of the most entertaning players that ever lived. I kid you not.

Read up on him, if any of you care about pro-basketball history.

NBA also missed out on seeing one of the greatest players in their prime when they banned Connie Hawkins. Julius before Julius.

And let's not forget Maurice Stokes

LakersMaster24
09-29-2011, 05:41 PM
You King's fans need to stop crying about something that happened almost ten years ago. I agree that the calls were pretty biased at times, but come on, move on...stop living in the past.

PS: The Russian hockey team tragedy is definetly one of the saddest things in sports.

bbcmillionaire
09-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Kings couldn't stop Shaq in 02 and he was actually hitting his FT's

Game 0ver.

The reffing may not have been great but I think it was fairly consistent over the course of the series and both the Kings and the Lakers had a fair shot at winning.

bahahahaha! Kings fanst still crying over their 5 minutes of fame that happened YEARS ago... Move on, Lakers fans have

Lol ok lets just say the role happened to reverse, sac-town really havent had anything to cheer about lately, switch positions with thd lakers and lets see if laker fans have something to complain about

llemon
09-29-2011, 05:52 PM
My God, is the Kings thing still going on?

Relax, Nets would have beat the Kings in the Finals, and all this would be moot, except to Laker fans who couldn't claim as much supremacy as they do now.

And Net fans, who I would assume at this point would be a much happier group.

And if Nets had won 2002 Finals, they would have gotten more respect from the lowlife refs that worked the 2003 Finals, and Nets might have won two Titles in a row.

Isn't imagination a wonderful thing?

mightybosstone
09-29-2011, 05:53 PM

While some of it was a bit repetitive and I think we've all heard or can recall most of this, I did take the time to watch it today and to see some of those plays and the context of them replayed is really disturbing. I'm still not completely sure that I buy into Stern being a crook or the whole "Patrick Ewing to Knicks" conspiracy, but there's no denying that Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals was fixed.

It really makes you question the validity of everything we know about professional sports, and it's such a hard topic to deal with for those of us who take sports seriously...

Pfeifer
09-29-2011, 06:05 PM
I dont think games are fixed but there are definately people who try to alter the outcome of the game even if it for the spread. Basketball and soccer are the two I would think have the most fixing. As for the greatest tragedy I would say the Russian hockey team this year was pretty tragic and as a canucks fan Luc Bourdon passing away was devistating.

Infamous916
09-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Small market team with the potential to reach a dynasty. What did David Stern think of this? He sent Tim Donaghy on the job.

Ahh thanks Dave :up:

whitemamba33
09-29-2011, 07:20 PM
The REAL sports tragedy?

It's that Sacramento hasn't and never will achieve as much success in sports as the time they "almost" beat the Lakers in the WCF.

llemon
09-29-2011, 07:53 PM
The REAL sports tragedy?

It's that Sacramento hasn't and never will achieve as much success in sports as the time they "almost" beat the Lakers in the WCF.

Just as big a tragedy for the Nets

Raps18-19 Champ
09-29-2011, 08:35 PM

To be fair, Lakers fans have it easier to move on. They got the better end of the deal. :shrug:

Anilyzer
09-29-2011, 08:38 PM
The refs didnt give the series to LA or sactown.. they merely rigged the series to go to a game 7 and let things play out from there.

This

TheRazorboy
09-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Len Bias.

I feel bad for him and his family but at the end of the day he did it to himself. I submit Hank Gathers.

Anilyzer
09-29-2011, 08:47 PM
the thing is with that kings team is that at the time they looked really good but having looked back at theyre careers now you can pretty much say that the teams best players really were over rated and didnt exactly prove to be "winners" over the course of theyre careers.

webber - injury prone
bibby - over rated at the time
divac- good centre but vs shaq ? cmon!
Peja stjakovic - injury prone
christie
hedo turkadoo - sophmore
gerald wallace -rookie

on paper the team looks solid but hedo and gerald wallace hardley even played being rookies and sophmores. the stars on that team were injury prone (webber & peja) theyre best interior presence was swallowed by shaq, divac never stood a chance. .christie was theyre best defender but he allowed rick fox to get in his head. . bibby was theyre only advantage considering he was better then any pg the lakers had at the time, but he couldnt be a difference maker over kobe and shaq.

it was actually a really good series and closer then ppl think. but lets face it when ever you got shaq in the line up and your best C's are divac and scott pollard your going to run in to foul trouble. shaq was extreamly hard to stop in his prime. alot of ppl seem to forget how dominating he was, you added kobe to that and its no suprize they won 3 ships together.

Yes! Exactly. And Sacramento was even trying out the Adelman "Hack-a-Shaq" strategy at times.

Then 10 years later they're saying they got ripped off on free throws or something.

And let's not forget, that Sacramento team practically INVENTED flopping. Vlade was so stupid and infuriating on his flops, such a ridiculous ham-actor with his angry whining butt-face... *arrrgghhh*

That's what I really remember about the Sacramento Kings of that era, is all the flopping and whining and pleading. They literally invented trying to act and flop as an actual basketball strategy. Even Webber started doing it.

LA_Raiders
09-29-2011, 10:29 PM
The Greatest Sore Losers in Sports...

John Walls Era
09-29-2011, 10:42 PM
what cub fans did to steve bartman

This.

Same with what Bartman did to Cubs fans though so it evens out.

MTar786
09-29-2011, 11:37 PM
The Greatest Sore Losers in Sports...

this X 2000... and 2 :)

RevisIsland
09-30-2011, 12:16 AM
I never noticed that 35-15 game 3 discrepancy, very interesting.

3RDASYSTEM
09-30-2011, 12:41 AM
ANILYZER not only were the KINGS better talentwise on paper they were pretty much better on court before that lucky half court shot WALKER made they had run off 11-12strait qtrs winning and they were up by like 24pts at one time in game 4,so thats pure domination if you ask me ,especially since LA was 2xdefending champs, refs put vice grip on'em,its hard to beat SHAQ/KOBE plus STERN/REFS,thats way too much even for a stacked squad like KINGS, and tho WEBBER/PEJA are prone to injury and trust me i know cuz WEBBER played wit that #3killer, they were all healthy enough during that span,it wasnt til yr or so later he was done with those micro and PEJA was more injury effected in NO than Sactown in my book

but they didnt get it done and thats the bottomline rather or not LA had they big brothers STERN/REFS lurking making sure it all goes down to ...but it is by far the greatest non death tragedy in sports, but im sure all the old old timers would say sox scandal or something back in that time..its been going on forever in all sports, bball i feel is easier to manipulate

The flop thing is a wash,yea Vlade was 'KING' at it but you cant deny 'FISH' and 'FOX' as perennial floppers and hell even 'HORRY' was 'pushing' off on Webber and flailing to the ground like Diesel ran him over, but hey anything goes in Hollywood,he was auditioning,they all were for that matter

Antipod
09-30-2011, 01:05 AM
The recent crush of an airplane that killed an entire Russian hockey team, now that is a tragedy, not this ! smh ...

BranWingss
09-30-2011, 08:53 PM
KHL crash this month. That's without a doubt the biggest tragedy in the last 10 or so years. There was a big plane crash in the 70's, and the 80's too.