PDA

View Full Version : Miami's Big 3 to Host Charity Game

Hawkize31
09-27-2011, 11:06 AM
link (http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7025982/miami-heat-lebron-james-dwyane-wade-chris-bosh-host-south-florida-all-star-classic)

Miami Heat fans won't have to wait until the NBA's owners and players settle their differences to get their next glimpse of the Big Three.

LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh will come together next week to host and play in "The South Florida All-Star Classic," according to sources close to the project.

The game will be held on Oct. 8 at 7 p.m. ET at Florida International University, where Hall of Famer Isiah Thomas is coach. All proceeds will go toward a charity supporting the educational community of South Florida.

A number of NBA players are slated to join the Miami trio on the court, including fellow Heat teammate Mario Chalmers, the Oklahoma City Thunder's Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, the New York Knicks' Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire, the New Orleans Hornets' Chris Paul, the Washington Wizards' John Wall, the Atlanta Hawks' Jamal Crawford, the Houston Rockets' Jonny Flynn, the Los Angeles Clippers' Eric Bledsoe, the Dallas Mavericks' Caron Butler, the Memphis Grizzlies' Rudy Gay, the Boston Celtics' Rajon Rondo, the Philadelphia 76ers' Lou Williams, the Golden State Warriors' Dorell Wright, and the Portland Trail Blazers' Wesley Matthews and free agent Eddy Curry.

Cleveland Cavaliers first-round picks Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson also are possible participants in the game.

The squads will be headlined by Brand Jordan players (Wade, Anthony, Paul) vs. Nike (James, Bosh, Durant). Comedian Kevin Hart, who has appeared in Brand Jordan commercials with Wade, is expected to coach the Jordan team, while Miami-based rap star Rick Ross is expected to coach the Nike club.

FIU's U.S. Century Bank Arena can hold 5,000 fans.

James has played in several "barnstorming" games over the past month of the NBA lockout, but this is the first time he's been a part of hosting one.

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.

Follow Chris Broussard on Twitter: @chris_broussard

This sounds like it would be fun to see. And its a nice gesture by the big three and the rest of the players/celebrities taking part. I hope its televised. I'm a little surprised its in such a small arena, you'd think they'd sell 5000 tickets pretty quick.

Greet
09-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Rumor is that they will only play 3 quarters though.

benzni
09-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Not a fan of the Big Three, but this is a pretty good idea

sixer04fan
09-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Loving these scrimmage charity games. I went to the Philly-Melo game on Sunday and it was a blast.

daleja424
09-27-2011, 11:24 AM
This is a pretty epic collection of talent... probably the most talent ever on an non Olympic or All-Star Weekend court.

oak2455
09-27-2011, 11:25 AM
I think its great when any athlete shares his time for charity causes ....great job:clap::clap::clap:

daleja424
09-27-2011, 11:25 AM
So many guys want to play in the game at FIU, I'm told, they're being turned away. Cut based on seniority &, of course, who friends are.
Brian Windhorst on Twitter

Hawkize31
09-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Brian Windhorst on Twitter

How awesome would it be if his teammates asked Bosh not to play?

asandhu23
09-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Big 3 = Big 3 quarters before LeBron chokes.

Hawkize31
09-27-2011, 11:31 AM

:facepalm:
Tell that to the Boston Celtics. And then tell it to the MVP-led Chicago Bulls.

daleja424
09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
This is getting so crazy. I am so pumped. I hope I can score tickets!

asandhu23
09-27-2011, 11:32 AM
:facepalm:
Tell that to the Boston Celtics. And then tell it to the MVP-led Chicago Bulls.

Yeah but the so called BEST PLAYER IN THE ****ING WORLD and the SECOND BEST PLAYER IN THE ****ING WORLD aren't on Bulls or Celtics.

Hawkize31
09-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Yeah but the so called BEST PLAYER IN THE ****ING WORLD and the SECOND BEST PLAYER IN THE ****ING WORLD aren't on Bulls or Celtics.

And? Basketball is a team game. The Mavericks were pretty clearly the better team, despite James being the best player on the floor.

asandhu23
09-27-2011, 11:39 AM
And? Basketball is a team game. The Mavericks were pretty clearly the better team, despite James being the best player on the floor.

Ok fine. I was just testing you and I was trying to make a joke in my earlier post.

Swashcuff
09-27-2011, 11:40 AM
I think it's great that fans can get to see that amount of talent all on the court at the same time for a good cause.

daleja424
09-27-2011, 11:41 AM

Im sorry but did you forget that Kobe and Durant didn't even make it to the Finals last year?

You guys rip on Lebron for not winning the Finals... but at least he freakin made it there!

kntresistheheat
09-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Im sorry but did you forget that Kobe and Durant didn't even make it to the Finals last year?

You guys rip on Lebron for not winning the Finals... but at least he freakin made it there!

Hey daleja, let me know if u find out about the tickets. I want to get my tickets now!!!

Cal827
09-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Nice gesture by the all stars. I wish more people would look past the NBA in this thread and look at what they are actually doing right now.

justinnum1
09-27-2011, 12:18 PM

:facepalm: quit trolling

Cosmic_Canon
09-27-2011, 01:15 PM
:pity: @ People who constantly crack jokes about Lebron.
It's been 3 months since the Finals, it's corny as hell, let it go losers.

LayZbone
09-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Nice! I go to FIU. Need to find out how to attend this.

beasted86
09-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Sounds like fun, I'm going to see if I can attend this.

To the people with negative stuff to say, get lost.

SteBO
09-27-2011, 03:15 PM
This is legit! I'm without a doubt going to this!

Swashcuff
09-27-2011, 03:17 PM
This is legit! I'm without a doubt going to this!

I hate you guys :D. As soon as I'm on Vaca I'm taking my talents to South Beach :cool:

Stack_NJNets
09-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Awesome gesture by the big three.

SteBO
09-27-2011, 03:33 PM
I hate you guys :D. As soon as I'm on Vaca I'm taking my talents to South Beach :cool:
:nod: It's probably going to be annoying trying to get tickets, but it's worth it. It's been too long since I've been to a b-ball game, and this is a rare opportunity for me. I must take advantage it. So much star power on one basketball court is a sight to behold.

chicago lulz
09-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Wish they would air or stream some of these charity games.

Rivera
09-27-2011, 03:49 PM
i bet if a website streamed and charged for this they would make money

Jetsguy
09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
best part about the entire article was the throw in at the end of the players list.

and...Eddy Curry:laugh2:

Ebbs
09-27-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm loving that these guys are going out still playign the game and giving back.

justinnum1
09-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Wish they would air or stream some of these charity games.

they streamed the other one a few nights ago, and i would be surprised if this one wasn;t streamed.

Shmontaine
09-27-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm loving that these guys are going out still playign the game and giving back.

LOL @ giving back.. what exactly are these players giving??? absolutely nothing... they are playing a pickup game for few hours for free... probably going to raise a couple hundred thousand to a million dollars for charity... wow, amazing...

the collective salaries of the players on the floor is like 100+ million for last year... they aren't giving back anything...

it's going to be cool game, and i will try to watch, but please don't make it sound like these players are saints, and 'giving back'. maybe if they all paid and entrance fee that went towards charity, it would mean more to me, but as it stands, it's simply a pickup game...

daleja424
09-27-2011, 04:23 PM
LOL @ giving back.. what exactly are these players giving??? absolutely nothing... they are playing a pickup game for few hours for free... probably going to raise a couple hundred thousand to a million dollars for charity... wow, amazing...

the collective salaries of the players on the floor is like 100+ million for last year... they aren't giving back anything...

it's going to be cool game, and i will try to watch, but please don't make it sound like these players are saints, and 'giving back'. maybe if they all paid and entrance fee that went towards charity, it would mean more to me, but as it stands, it's simply a pickup game...

Are you kidding me with this?

They are donating time and it is making a ton of money for charity...

and most NBA guys give back all the time... come on man

daleja424
09-27-2011, 04:23 PM
I assure you that the average NBA player does 10 times the volunteer work that the average american does every year. Don't hate.

RZZZA
09-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Who is this 'Miami big 3' you speak of? I'm unaware of what you're referencing there. I've had my head buried in sand the past year.

Shmontaine
09-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Are you kidding me with this?

They are donating time and it is making a ton of money for charity...

and most NBA guys give back all the time... come on man

no i'm not kidding.. i think it's hilarious that this forum falls all over these players like girls at a teenie bopper concert...

I assure you that the average NBA player does 10 times the volunteer work that the average american does every year. Don't hate.

i would hope so, the 'average American' works 40+ hours a week to earn a living... meanwhile, these guys have more free time and money than 100% of 'average Americans'

JNA17
09-27-2011, 04:32 PM

That includes you, right?

Shmontaine
09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
http://www.ballerstatus.com/2010/10/19/the-nbas-charitable-program-nba-cares-celebrates-five-years/

Over the last five years, NBA Cares has given back $145 millions dollars in charitable donations, 1.4 million hours of community service, and helped to build over 525 playgrounds and community centers.

where's everyone saying "it's great to see the nba owners getting together and giving back"... hmmm, somehow there's a double standard, yet again...

J_M_B
09-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Daleja , any word when tickets go on sale?

PinnacleFlash
09-29-2011, 10:03 PM
It was probably Wade's idea to host the charity. LeBron just followed him like the front runner he is. Then again LeBron is the 2nd best player on the Heat behind Dwyane Wade so that is expected. Also, expect LeBron James to leave the game 12 minutes early.

WHODAT8o8
09-29-2011, 10:31 PM
:pity: @ People who constantly crack jokes about Lebron.
It's been 3 months since the Finals, it's corny as hell, let it go losers.

this i cant watch a damn video on youtube without seeing Lebron Traveled.

Sox72
09-29-2011, 10:52 PM

I see what you're saying. But keep in mind, they could also play that same pickup game in a private gym where no one is going to criticize them and they can just have fun. In addition, there are a lot of people that would be willing to pay them to play this game.

So, you bring up an interesting point, but really, it's a good thing that they're doing.