PDA

View Full Version : Rap & Basketball (Kobe = Kanye, Lebron = Lil Wayne, Wade = Drake)

kNickYankeejet
09-26-2011, 02:29 AM
Hey guys

I don't normally have much to post about but I came across this article recently and thought you would appreciate it.

The article compares rappers and rap groups to NBA superstars and teams.

It's a pretty good read if you're a fan of rap and basketball especially when it comes to the explanations for each rapper-player comparison.

http://www.keepitfr3sh.com/2011/08/fr3shly-baked-music-rap-basketball.html

C_Mund
09-26-2011, 03:00 AM
Brutal. This list only makes sense if the NBA is 6 years old and you listen to some of the worst hip hop
Common = FISHER???? I respect Fish but if that's how you consider Common's career then you have no buisiness writing about hip hop.

kNickYankeejet
09-26-2011, 03:14 AM
@C_Mund I think you completely missed the point.. The guy had a disclaimer that none of the "greats" would be included in the post and that the comparisons were based around the present day icons.. As much as you may hate it, YMCMB, Maybach Music and G.O.O.D. are the three most popular rap groups and are headlined by Wayne, Drake, Nicki Minaj, Rick Ross and Kanye West respectively

Now I agree with you on the Common thing but at this point in his career, the point dude made might be right. If G.O.O.D. Music are the Lakers, then the only player on the Lakers who even closely resembles Com is Derek Fisher

I think you totally missed the point bro

09-26-2011, 03:16 AM
hahahaha, ******* whoever made this list has NO IDEA about rap. hAHA. If you neww rap you'd know that lil wayne isn't the 'best rapper alive' (if he ever was), I agree with C_MUND, Common and Derek Fisher should never be in the same conversation. Common may not be a pop singer but his soul rapping style is amazing. Kid Cudi = Pau Gasol - Supremely talented but a bit emo... lol.... I .. this is just hilarious. I have a terrible feeling whoever wrote this list has nooooo idea about rap... I'm not having a go at you though kNickYankeejet... unless you wrote it

kNickYankeejet
09-26-2011, 03:34 AM
Lol no prob bro.. I just posted it because I thought it was funny.

I didn't think dude was saying Wayne is the best rapper alive. I actually think the Wayne-Lebron comparison was spot on. Both are considered to be the best but are severely overrated.

I don't know why but it seems to me that I'm the only one who understands what duke was trying to accomplish with this list. I take as him comparing rap crews to NBA teams. Like Miami's Big 3 is comparable to the Big 3 of YMCMB (who are easily rap's most popular crew)

The thing is the guys who were mentioned are the most popular rappers right now in the game and the guy did say only rappers of the moment would be mentioned

broncofangene
09-26-2011, 04:04 AM
most pointless thread ever created. You must be like 11 years old

Andrew32
09-26-2011, 04:10 AM
Ridiculous to compare Rappers to Ballers.

However I'd say...
Kobe = Wayne he consistently gets paired up with the best supporting Casts/Beats (YM) but his actual talent is a bit overrated and his songs (performances) can be hit or miss as the years go by.

Wade = Biggie or Nas
Short Career but Quality second to none.

Lebron = Jayz
Dude's talent in undeniable and his best performances are arguably behind him now, although he still makes more money then anyone else in the game.

Still this is a dumbass thread and it makes no sense to compare Ballers to Rappers XD.

GunFactor187
09-26-2011, 04:16 AM
In before David Stern closes this thread.

3ballbomber
09-26-2011, 05:43 AM
Drake = Dwyane Wade - Lowkey, both of these guys maybe the best player on each of the squads yet they are overshadowed by their more popular and enigmatic teammate. They are both supremely talented but oft-injured (Wade- back; Drake- ACL, MCL, PCL, DCL). Usually Drake and Wade are the ones who carry their teammates

UM........i'm sorry but you can't ever compare the skills Wade has on the court to Drake's abilities on the mic!!! EVERRR!!!!!!!!!

Real heads know Drake couldn't hold a candle to any of the greats that have held the mic. Hell Mase made this guy along w/ other lazy-flow rappers who came after the dimpled pastor.

Common would actually be the best comparison for Wade. Com dropped a classic like 'Ressurection' automatically placing him w/ the greats while Wade has a Finals Mvp & Championship Ring placing him w/ the greats. Common since 'Electric Circus' sold out some what (though Ghetto Dreams w/ Nas is a banger and we may hear more of the same after his re-teaming w/ No I.D.) while Wade sold himself out by getting Lebron to Miami.

Drake? lol get the F outta here w/ that wack ish.

TheNumber37
09-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Kobe = jay-z. Lebron = lil wayne. Durant = lupe. Metta world peace= Ron Artest

ewmania
09-26-2011, 07:33 AM
hahaha lebron equals lil wayne, thats hilarious... ummm how abt this

grandmama = lil wayne

MackShock
09-26-2011, 07:49 AM
So your calling Dwyane Wade overhyped, overrated, and commercialized?

ChaseHamels
09-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Just...no. :facepalm:

sjoerdje
09-26-2011, 08:09 AM
:horse:

09-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Both are considered to be the best but are severely overrated.

True.

I have to say i used to like lil wayne alot, but then i grew up......:cool:

juno10
09-26-2011, 08:26 AM
UM........i'm sorry but you can't ever compare the skills Wade has on the court to Drake's abilities on the mic!!! EVERRR!!!!!!!!!

Real heads know Drake couldn't hold a candle to any of the greats that have held the mic. Hell Mase made this guy along w/ other lazy-flow rappers who came after the dimpled pastor.

Common would actually be the best comparison for Wade. Com dropped a classic like 'Ressurection' automatically placing him w/ the greats while Wade has a Finals Mvp & Championship Ring placing him w/ the greats. Common since 'Electric Circus' sold out some what (though Ghetto Dreams w/ Nas is a banger and we may hear more of the same after his re-teaming w/ No I.D.) while Wade sold himself out by getting Lebron to Miami.

Drake? lol get the F outta here w/ that wack ish.

hater.

juno10
09-26-2011, 08:28 AM
durant is wiz khalifa both kind of new in the game and both skinny and goofy looking.

allSUAVE
09-26-2011, 08:50 AM
I like this list alot LML

allSUAVE
09-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Melo = Eminem :eyebrow:
Rose = Lupe fiasco
Amare = Fabolous

MackShock
09-26-2011, 09:13 AM
who is this guy who normally has nothing to post about? hes got 4 posts total.

Hustlenomics
09-26-2011, 09:39 AM
so this is calling Wade garbage

ilstubirds
09-26-2011, 09:45 AM
...and Dirk = Eminem, the best.

Ill21
09-26-2011, 09:56 AM
I feel like this is the 10th different time a thread has been posted about this.

Heediot
09-26-2011, 12:27 PM

However I'd say...
Kobe = Wayne he consistently gets paired up with the best supporting Casts/Beats (YM) but his actual talent is a bit overrated and his songs (performances) can be hit or miss as the years go by.

Wade = Biggie or Nas

Lebron = Jayz
Dude's talent in undeniable and his best performances are arguably behind him now, although he still makes more money then anyone else in the game.

Still this is a dumbass thread and it makes no sense to compare Ballers to Rappers XD.

WTF? Nas ain't got no short career. Dude's been in the game over 17 years. Lebrons days are still ahead of him so this is another fail.

Andrew32
09-26-2011, 12:41 PM
I said "arguably" behind him in regards to Lebron but yea he obviously still has plenty of good years left barring injury.

NAS = Illmatic.

NYflightboy
09-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Melo = Jadakiss

NYflightboy
09-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Lebron = MC hammer

THE MTL
09-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Lil Wayne has yet to produce a classic album????? Tha Carter III is a classic! I love the comparisons though, however YMCMB actually wins ALOT of a things from Billboards, VMAs, Grammys, BET, etc.

six
09-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Tupac = Michael Jordan. Both are the best at what they do.

Lupe Fiasco = Shaq. Both are Muslim

Kanye West = Derrick Rose. Both from Chicago

Common = Dwayne Wade. Both from Chicago

Eminem = Dirk. Both made it very far in a black mans game. Rap and Basketball.

Delrayhc
09-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Hard for me to read this article without throwing up especially when sitting right next to me is Enta da Stage on wax.

Delrayhc
09-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Lil Wayne has yet to produce a classic album????? Tha Carter III is a classic! I love the comparisons though, however YMCMB actually wins ALOT of a things from Billboards, VMAs, Grammys, BET, etc.

Mainstream popularity doesnt equal classic album

avon_barksdale
09-26-2011, 01:45 PM

For real? carter 2 and carter 1 both waaaaaaaayyy betta. Those be when wayne was aight. hell even dedication and drought blew away carter 3

you must be white, 16 yrs old, a chick or all

Delrayhc
09-26-2011, 01:53 PM
For real? carter 2 and carter 1 both waaaaaaaayyy betta. Those be when wayne was aight. hell even dedication and drought blew away carter 3

you must be white, 16 yrs old, a chick or all

You must be white , 16 or a chick too thinking Wayne is any good at all

MackShock
09-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Phil Jackson = Dr. Dre

avon_barksdale
09-26-2011, 03:35 PM
You must be white , 16 or a chick too thinking Wayne is any good at all

he aight back when he aint wear skinny jeans. far from classic material

Evolution23
09-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Melo = Nas
Lebron= Vanilla Ice

Durant = Drake

The new talent that every body likes.

...and Dirk = Eminem, the best.

Why cause they are both white?

MJ = 2Pac, Biggie, Big Pun

Gators123
09-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Melo = Nas
Lebron= Vanilla Ice

Durant = Drake

The new talent that every body likes.

Why cause they are both white?

MJ = 2Pac, Biggie, Big Pun

lol So your calling MJ overrated?

Evolution23
09-26-2011, 04:16 PM
lol So your calling MJ overrated?

:facepalm:

tshwhhh
09-26-2011, 04:41 PM
this is the dumbest thread i have seen to this day!!! wait i got one kobe= santa claus, wade= easter bunny, lebron=toothferry

Confusious
09-26-2011, 04:52 PM
The real question is, who's Basketball Jones?

broncofangene
09-26-2011, 04:58 PM
I guess if you aren't playing an instrument your considered hip hop. DRAKE is NOT HIP HOP. He's R&B at best with that sissy love music. Ya'll probably think tpain is hip hop too.

PrettyBoyJ
09-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Lmao @ Chris Bosh is nick minaj "Barbie" lol

numba1CHANGsta
09-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Kobe=Tupac
Lebron=Bieber

nuff said.

naps
09-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Lebron = Jayz

:facepalm::facepalm:

LeBron is just entering his prime. WOW!

Nyc4You
09-26-2011, 05:27 PM
lmao jay z is deron Williams considering hes trying to get people to hop on the nets dicks

HouRealCoach
09-26-2011, 05:39 PM

However I'd say...

Wade = Biggie or Nas

Lebron = Jayz

:horse:

Nas aint have no short career...

Tupac = Michael Jordan. Both are the best at what they do.

Lupe Fiasco = Shaq. Both are Muslim

Kanye West = Derrick Rose. Both from Chicago

Common = Dwayne Wade. Both from Chicago

Eminem = Dirk. Both made it very far in a black mans game. Rap and Basketball.

Eminem took the throne with his debut album... Dirk didnt win a championship until he had about 15 strands of gray hair

mdm692
09-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Rick ross - shaq

Fabolous - melo

Jadakiss - stat

FR3SH
09-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Hey,

I'm the guy responsible for the article. I recently saw traffic being driven to my site from this forum and had to check out. The feedback has been mixed to say the most. I know some people who vehemently disagree with my comparisons but it was opinion editorial piece. It was simply a way for me to combine two of my favorite subjects into a post for my blog.

I understand some people who feel offended that their favorites were left off of the list but I direct you to the final sentence in the 2nd paragraph where I prefaced the list with the disclaimer that Jay-Z, Nas, Biggie, Pac, Eminem or any of the other greats would NOT be included. The post was meant to compare today's present day popular acts in rap to today's present day popular basketball players. This was simple the first edition of what I would hope to be a series. Notice there were no Blake Griffins, Kevin Durants or Derrick Roses just like there weren't any Michael Jordans, Larry Birds or Magic Johnsons.

I tried to focus on the three most popular rap groups today and their headliners. When I did this post, it was honestly in jest. I understand some people disagreed with my views but remember we all have different opinions. I don't expect everyone to see things how I do but at least try to look at it from my POV. For instance, I'm not trying to say Common IS Derek Fisher but rather in the scheme of things where G.O.O.D. Music are the Lakers, if Kanye is Kobe then Common is Derek Fisher, who some consider a superior leader to the more supremely talent Kobe.

I appreciate whoever posted the link to my blog and I hope everyone else checked out some of my other stuff. Hopefully everyone goes back and reads the article again but this time with everything I said in mind and with any bias they may have against the artist or rapper removed. As much as I may not be a fan of Lil Wayne, he is rap's most popular artist which makes him similar to Lebron.

3RDASYSTEM
09-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Iverson is the 2pac

Both the most naturally talented by far and both got exiled for not conforming

Gators123
09-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Iverson is the 2pac

Both the most naturally talented by far and both got exiled for not conforming

No, Iverson = lil b.

Hustlenomics
09-26-2011, 08:14 PM
damn you guys don't know rap

NYKNYGNYY
09-26-2011, 08:18 PM
delonte west= uncle murda

the link wouldnt open for me

coryd238
09-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Ewww, **** young money.

Evolution23
09-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Kevin Durant = Will Smith

netsgiantsyanks
09-26-2011, 09:06 PM
omg omg omg, whats wrong with this guy?

Mishmin
09-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Cole World

netsgiantsyanks
09-26-2011, 09:47 PM
cole world

Netslunatic76
09-27-2011, 06:32 PM
I guess if you aren't playing an instrument your considered hip hop. DRAKE is NOT HIP HOP. He's R&B at best with that sissy love music. Ya'll probably think tpain is hip hop too.

Yeah, cause Drake is the only rapper to make songs for the ladies right? Even the "hardest" rappers have made lovey type songs. Drake will never be confused for a lyricist or a gangsta, but his music is easy to listen to/rap along with(don't expect mind blowing metaphors or punchlines) and he has a wide demographic which why even when people like you hate on him, he is still successful. The same goes for T-Pain.

Some of you dudes are stuck in the 90s. Lol. I don't listen to most of the people on that list, but I feel sorry for ya'll that think the only people that are acceptable to listen to are Tupac, Biggie, or Nas. Open up your minds.

Edit: Cole World.

JWO35
09-27-2011, 06:55 PM
J. Cole = N/A

Stunner
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
J.Cole!!!!!!!!!!!

Stunner
09-27-2011, 07:31 PM
J .Cole > Drake

Stunner
09-27-2011, 07:32 PM
The Carter 2 > The Carter 3 > The Carter 4

Ray_R
09-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Derrick Rose= Elzhi = Orgasmic

JWO35
09-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Derrick Rose = Rosie O'Donald at a bisexual bridal shower

FR3SH
09-27-2011, 08:37 PM
I noticed a lot of people mentioning rappers I've considered for Part 2. Here's the possible baller-rapper comparisons for the next edition:

J. Cole - Blake Griffin (Both were #1 picks who had some setbacks [Took both guys awhile before they made their OFFICIAL debuts] before finally making an impact)

Kendrick Lamar- Derrick Rose (Both quietly put together superb seasons [MVP Season/Classic Album - Section 80])

Wiz Khalifa - Kevin Durant (Talented but both can be considered slightly overrated.. Affinity for tattoos and skinny frames)

Game - Ron Artest/Metta World Peace (Bipolar)