PDA

View Full Version : Should Officials Attend Press Conferences?

JasonJohnHorn
09-25-2011, 06:46 PM
I see a skit on SNL one time where John Goodman was a NFL official doinga press conference after a game, and though it was laden with obvious jokes about having your head up in a certain orifice whilst making a certain call, it seems that it might be interesting to hear what an official has to say about a game, and how they might respond to what players, coaches, and members of the media might have said about them.

Would anybody else want to hear an official's angle on a game in the post game press conference?

gwrighter
09-25-2011, 07:21 PM
For sure, I would love to hear them explain some calls that they made.

Tmath
09-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Yes, Joey Crawford will get raped.

lakers4sho
09-25-2011, 09:12 PM
NBA would not allow it.

JermanJaysFan
09-25-2011, 09:17 PM
I put yes because I would find it interesting (and thats the way you phrased the option) but I think it is a terrible idea and will/should never happen.

Cal827
09-25-2011, 09:20 PM
I would say yes, but there would be a likelyhood that a ref either reacts like Derek Anderson if he's questioned on something or some commentator would rip into them right then.

LakersMaster24
09-25-2011, 10:17 PM
They would need a ambulance and a paramedics team during every interview next to Dick Bavetta...

likemystylez
09-25-2011, 10:55 PM
YES- I think it would encourage the refs to make the right call, and make sure they knew a foul happened before calling it and not just assuming.

Ive always been able to accept a ref missing a call because he didnt see it. (If he didnt see a foul), or couldnt tell if it was a goaltend or a block..... but when a ref calls a foul that never happened..... that has irritated me. LOL if you are just guessing what happened... you might as well just let the players call their own fouls.

Another thing id like to see. I think it would be good for the league to evaluate technical fouls. Re-look at the technical fouls, especially the ones where the player was pleading with a ref over a call he did not agree with.

If the league finds that the player was in the right, and the ref made an error in the original call AND in giving the player a technical because he didnt agree with a bad call..... Then that technical does not count against the players Technicals/ suspension tally.

In addition to that, I think refs should have statistics that are available to the league and even the fans. A ref should be punished after X amount of eroneous technical fouls.

ON the other hand- if the player is complaining about a call.... and it turns out that the player clearly did foul the person, or clearly did hit the ball out of bounds... it should count as an additional technical on the players tally and an additional fine.

likemystylez
09-25-2011, 10:56 PM
having said all that, since stern uses the refs to fix games... i doubt this rule ever gets passed LOL... or even considered

JNA17
09-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Yes, yes, AND YES! Not only would I love to hear how they make the constantly bad calls they do but the fact that it would be a lot more interesting then player post conferences.

Cal827
09-25-2011, 11:38 PM
having said all that, since stern uses the refs to fix games... i doubt this rule ever gets passed LOL... or even considered

Reporter: Joey Crawford, can you explain your thoughts before you called Melo for the Charge after making contact with Kobe with 4 seconds left and the Knicks down 1, although it appeared that Kobe was late in his help defense?

Crawford: Well I just saw Melo run World peace into a screen and I saw that he was going to get a close range shot. I also saw Kobe break off Fields to take Melo. I just had to make sure that the game ended the right way.

Reporter: What do you mean by that?

Crawford: um, um, um..... STERRNN!

3mikee_
09-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Yes, they should. No, this will never happen.

They will get shredded to bits if they had post game pressers. We will never see a post game presser with a ref go: "that was a great call at the end of the game! Explain your thinking there" ... it's always going to be negative with refs. At least that's what I think.

gwrighter
09-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Yes, they should. No, this will never happen.

They will get shredded to bits if they had post game pressers. We will never see a post game presser with a ref go: "that was a great call at the end of the game! Explain your thinking there" ... it's always going to be negative with refs. At least that's what I think.

& you make a good point. it would always be negative. If the questions were phrased as "What did you think of this call." "what was your opinion on the Dwight's flagrant foul." I think that would be cool to see. Cuz maybe they could shed some light the way a ref sees the game.

He could answer like "well Dwight & Bynum have been going at it all game, I told them to quit it & dwight smacked him upside the head while he was going for an open layup, so i called a flagrant." It would be another perspective that we as fans don't get to see at all.