PDA

View Full Version : If there is no season does a year come off players contracts???

Ty Fast
09-24-2011, 03:22 AM
Would guys like Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, and Deron Williams become free agents or would they still have a year on their contracts? When the NHL had its year long lockout a year came off the players contracts. Do you think that would happen in the NBA?

UPRock
09-24-2011, 03:40 AM
Good question because I actually don't know.

Anilyzer
09-24-2011, 05:45 AM
Would guys like Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, and Deron Williams become free agents or would they still have a year on their contracts? When the NHL had its year long lockout a year came off the players contracts. Do you think that would happen in the NBA?

I am gonna say yes, although I don't know for sure. It would seem like the contracts would specify calendar years--for instance, a player doesn't just sign a five year deal and get five years of playing time, like college eligibility or something, and in the middle he could "redshirt" a year or something. The contract is more like "2009-2010 season, player gets $x; 2010-2011 season, player gets $x..." etc.

Which also explains the weirdness of how the players can be "under contract" but simultaneously locked out. In other words, the players are still locked-in to their contracts, except the owners can temporarily put a freeze on the execution of those contracts, in order to put pressure on the players to sign some kind of weird labor deal, which will in effect put rules on the owners themselves as to what players they can sign and how much they can bid on them.

Weird. All of the small-team "rebel" or "tea party" owners that are pushing this lockout have a very, very weird position if you ask me. The glamour teams are still the glamour teams, this is just another reason why. Seriously; are the Lakers supposed to throw extra cheddar to the Clippers now?

/rant

DetroitRipCity
09-24-2011, 06:35 AM
Assuming that the players are not getting paid if the season is lost i would say no

Heediot
09-24-2011, 08:05 AM
No. The contracts still remain. A lockout only prolongs one's existing contract.

king4day
09-24-2011, 08:53 AM
^^^ I think the above is accurate.
Remember they are looking to re-add the amnesty clause that removes a contract off the cap (and team).
If a year is already shaved off then this isn't as important.

I think the Suns would have dealt Nash too or that teams like the Wolves wouldn't have considered a Nash deal knowng that he may not even play for them.

blahblahyoutoo
09-24-2011, 10:27 AM
i would assume it's by calendar year, not duration, so they would become FA on whatever date the contract states.

doesn't make sense any other way.

theheatles
09-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Seriously; are the Lakers supposed to throw extra cheddar to the Clippers now?

/rant

the clippers are actually 1 of the most profitable teams in the league...the teams that are *****ing are the cavs, bobcats, bucks, twolves, nuggets and kings

likemystylez
09-24-2011, 11:14 AM
i would assume it's by calendar year, not duration, so they would become FA on whatever date the contract states.

doesn't make sense any other way.

Correct, The players would not get the full value of their contract if there was a lock out during one of the years. The players also absolutely have the right to go play in the european league during a lock out. This is something that would not be allowed if the players were under contract during normal conditions.

LOL and the money is not tacked on at the end or extending the contract... LOL other wise there wouldnt be any pressure on the players at all to get a deal done (if they knew they were gonna get the fgull amount of their contract anyways.

The amnesty clause (which hasnt been made official yet) would allow a team to get under the new cap... but it would also push more players into free agency. i wonder if a player is allowed to sign the player they just used their amnesty clause on. My guess would be NO... LOl it would be a bit awkward for both sides hehe.

fadedmario
09-24-2011, 11:36 AM
A year comes off the contract - they just don't get paid. I know this because a Detroit newspaper said if there is no season Richard Hamilton will have a year left on his contract.

mike_noodles
09-24-2011, 12:00 PM
I can tell you all that I am 100% certain that the calendar on contracts continues to roll whether or not there is a season. You take it to the bank.

Toxeryll
09-24-2011, 12:03 PM
yes. i am 100% sure

beasted86
09-24-2011, 12:14 PM
I can tell you all that I am 100% certain that the calendar on contracts continues to roll whether or not there is a season. You take it to the bank.

I'm pretty sure the Heat's writer said the same thing.

But aside from that, I am 100% certain that if there is no NBA season, the players will decertify, so their past contracts won't matter. You can take that to the bank too.

smood999
09-24-2011, 12:42 PM
yes a yr comes off the contract....i know this for a fact...so all those guys would be free agents along with the 2011 free agents....a yr comes off of everyones contracts....

Gators123
09-24-2011, 01:05 PM
A year comes off the contract - they just don't get paid. I know this because a Detroit newspaper said if there is no season Richard Hamilton will have a year left on his contract.

And all of a sudden every GM wants Rip and his $12M expiring contract! :laugh2:

beasted86
09-24-2011, 01:07 PM
And all of a sudden every GM wants Rip and his $12M expiring contract! :laugh2:

Just $4M out of the $12M is guaranteed, so maybe a team wants a salary dump. But it's doubtful anything happens other than the Pistons declining his option.

JasonJohnHorn
09-24-2011, 01:12 PM
If I remember right, when the last lock out (or strike) happened, because the owners took a bath on ticket sales, the players took a bath too. If you aren't playing, you aren't getting paid. The players only got paid a pro-rated percentage of their salary last time, I assume the same would happen this time. If you dont play, you dont get paid. And if there is nobody paying to see you not play, there is nobody to pay you.

The players lose out on their salary. I just read an article about Rashard Lewis and how much he stands to lose with a strike shorten season, or with no season at all. So yeah. They lose out on that money.

Gators123
09-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Just $4M out of the $12M is guaranteed, so maybe a team wants a salary dump. But it's doubtful anything happens other than the Pistons declining his option.

$9M is guaranteed.

NJ Raven
09-24-2011, 02:45 PM
One less season of Petro/Farmar/Outlaw is worth a lockout to me.

NBA_Starter
09-24-2011, 10:47 PM
I have wondered this myself

jrm2054
09-24-2011, 10:59 PM
so no actual answers

heyman321
09-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Well then with another year off their contracts I guess we better start the countdown of 2015 free agents again! Lebronathon again! Zing!