PDA

View Full Version : Do Training Camp & Preseason Games mean anything?

Fresno
09-23-2011, 11:40 PM
I mean, if they're all canceled for the sake of a NBA season. Does it really matter? I dont think so.

What is it that is going on in training camp that is important to affecting a NBA team over the course of 82 games? These guys learn throughout the course of the season how to adjust to their teammates, it just doesnt happen in 2 weeks of training camp.

Pre-season games are pointless anyways since they really are a waste of time. Nothing that happens in these games has any effect on a team in the regular season unless a player gets hurt. We dont need to see a half assed pre-season game between the Lakers & Hawks to realize Kobe is still Kobe.

asandhu23
09-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Yes they do. You get a preseason demo of what the team can do. its good for shaking off the rust.

Sactown
09-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Yeah training camp gets players back to shape ( as much as you can in 2 weeks) preventing injury

likemystylez
09-24-2011, 01:27 AM
Fresno... You seem to think that they traded training camp for the regular season. Its not like the cancelling of training camp guarentees that we will have a full regular season.

Pre season and training camp games do mean something... THEY WOULD MEAN THAT THE LOCK OUT IS OVER!!!!!!... WHICH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ON THIS BOARD RIGHT NOW.

likemystylez
09-24-2011, 01:28 AM
also- you are aware that there literally has been no off season at all. Rookies havent even been signed yet. There are over 100 free agents that need to be signed. There are about 20 teams that currently dont even have enough players under contract to hold a real practice.

DenButsu
09-24-2011, 01:56 AM
They matter a LOT to the teams, and somewhat less to the fans.

For the teams it's their chance to coordinate their new talent, work out lineups and rotations, get a sense of which players have good chemistry together, put together their playbook and map out their plan/vision for the season, establish camaraderie among the players and staff, get the players' fitness and conditioning up to snuff... It's a critically important process.

For the fans, we get media day at the beginning of training camp, lots of press and interviews, first looks at rookies, new signings and new players from trades. And in the preseason games we also get a chance to see some players get time on the floor who we hope will get a chance because we think they have potential, but in actuality will probably only see garbage time during the regular season. And overall we start to get a sense of the team's identity and some things we can expect in the upcoming season. For the casual fans none of this stuff matters very much, but for the more avid fans it means a lot.

Really, really bummed right about now, knowing this is the time when I'd usually be getting psyched for preseason games to start soon after the (always too long) offseason. :sigh:

gwrighter
09-24-2011, 02:37 AM
The star players don't care about training camps. lower lvl guys do because it's their chance to prove they can compete on the big stage. but no one really cares about those guys as they are replaceable. Bosh & Hedo skipped training camp & breezed through the preseason back in 2010.

Skipping the pre-season is like skipping your first week of college classes. Doesn't really matter towards the content of the year, but you might be behind with the administrative stuff.

DenButsu
09-24-2011, 02:46 AM
The star players don't care about training camps. lower lvl guys do because it's their chance to prove they can compete on the big stage. but no one really cares about those guys as they are replaceable. Bosh & Hedo skipped training camp & breezed through the preseason back in 2010.

Skipping the pre-season is like skipping your first week of college classes. Doesn't really matter towards the content of the year, but you might be behind with the administrative stuff.

I disagree. Or at least, I'd say the star players who really care about their teams care about training camp and the preseason, because as stars and veterans, it's their responsibility to bring the younger players into the fold and school them in the team's system and the NBA game. It's the first venue for team captains, for example, to demonstrate their leadership.

gwrighter
09-24-2011, 02:53 AM
I disagree. Or at least, I'd say the star players who really care about their teams care about training camp and the preseason, because as stars and veterans, it's their responsibility to bring the younger players into the fold and school them in the team's system and the NBA game. It's the first venue for team captains, for example, to demonstrate their leadership.

I agree that it is a positive & provides an advantage to do that, but it is not a necessity. Most veterans are bored & go through the motions. It's mostly a time for lower tier guys to get some burn & prove they belong in the league. Pretty much like a long try-out for the Joey Dorsey's of the league.

lakers4sho
09-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Just ask Shaq.

BranWingss
09-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Of course it matters. This is where the coaches look and find chemstry. The pre-season really gets them ready for the regular season. Matters big time for rookies as well, and new players trying to crack minutes and such. Like it or not, this is a pretty big loss. I really don't think we're going to see an NBA season until at least January with a shorten season.

Fresno
09-24-2011, 02:33 PM
I agree that it is a positive & provides an advantage to do that, but it is not a necessity. Most veterans are bored & go through the motions. It's mostly a time for lower tier guys to get some burn & prove they belong in the league. Pretty much like a long try-out for the Joey Dorsey's of the league.

Those lower tier guys missed their opportunity when the Summer League was canceled. The strange thing is that I havent seen any of the undrafted Free Agents running in these mock "Summer league" games across the country. It would go a great way for a lot of them to get their name out there, but either they aren't invited or they're pursuing a contract in Europe.

Fresno
09-24-2011, 02:38 PM
also- you are aware that there literally has been no off season at all. Rookies havent even been signed yet. There are over 100 free agents that need to be signed. There are about 20 teams that currently dont even have enough players under contract to hold a real practice.

They can get that done in little over 1 week.

The 7 days needed to match an Offer Sheet really is the only important factor.

Most NBA teams should have an idea of who they want to bring in by now, there are only so few players out there who are Free Agents following last season. Most of the undrafted guys/NBDL level players signed in Europe to collect a check, so it kinda trims the talent pool.

gwrighter
09-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Those lower tier guys missed their opportunity when the Summer League was canceled. The strange thing is that I havent seen any of the undrafted Free Agents running in these mock "Summer league" games across the country. It would go a great way for a lot of them to get their name out there, but either they aren't invited or they're pursuing a contract in Europe.

yup, it's mostly the guys with guaranteed contracts & most likely a mixture of all of the things you stated. middle-top tier can afford to risk their bodies during the summer, where as other guys are most likely in europe or other leagues pursuing contracts & taking things a little more seriously.

Fresno
09-24-2011, 02:46 PM
yup, it's mostly the guys with guaranteed contracts & most likely a mixture of all of the things you stated. They can afford to risk their bodies during the summer, where as other guys are most likely in europe or other leagues pursuing contracts & taking things a little more seriously.

Yeah its been kind of funny seing Ater Majok playing in every exhibition game he can get in. I know he got drafted, but hes doing his best to make an impression for the NBA guys who dont think much of him anyways.

I've been keeping track of all of the overseas signings and really a lot of guys are putting job security over their dream of playing in the NBA. When you pull up a list of all of the available Free Agents following the NBA season, they all might find a team thanks to a lack of job competition from younger guys.

Even Brian Scalabrine found a team in Europe.