PDA

View Full Version : How would the Draft order work if we have no season?

futureman
09-23-2011, 01:57 PM
My guess is that they would freeze last years standings and have the same draft order outside of the lottery, also having another lottery. This is the most favorable scenario for myself being a jazzfan and all because they could potentially get 2 lottery picks again this year if GS doesn't move up from 11 where they were last year.

I think they may have a league wide draft lottery as well. You never know.

Gators123
09-23-2011, 02:00 PM
The NBA should have a beer pong tournament to determine the draft order. Its the only fair way.

king4day
09-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Things would have to change for sure. You can't have the Cavs getting Irving last year and ANOTHER top pick this year.

They would have to redo the lottery for sure but I think the league should do a league wide draft, but base who gets the most balls on who has bright futures.

You don't give Miami or LA the same chance to get the #1 pick as you would Charlotte or the Cavs.

GeekInThePink
09-23-2011, 02:20 PM
I think they should have another lottery for the non playoff teams with even chance for all, and a different lottery for the top 14.

juno10
09-23-2011, 02:24 PM
maybe something similar to what the nhl did and take account the last few seasons.

Shmontaine
09-23-2011, 02:24 PM
This was discussed this week.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653987

pebloemer
09-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Things would have to change for sure. You can't have the Cavs getting Irving last year and ANOTHER top pick this year.

They would have to redo the lottery for sure but I think the league should do a league wide draft, but base who gets the most balls on who has bright futures.

You don't give Miami or LA the same chance to get the #1 pick as you would Charlotte or the Cavs.

When the NHL did their draft after a season's lockout they took a few factor's based over the past 5 seasons to determine draft lottery odds. Factors were things like playoff appearances, record, etc. I could see the NBA doing something similar. Whatever they decide it is something they'd have to agree on in the new CBA - I can't see that will be a stumbling block though - just a detail.

Randy Marsh
09-23-2011, 03:29 PM
They should do some kind of ultimate lottery when every team has a chance to win the #1 pick. Teams like the Heat or Thunder would have low percentiles like 2% or lower while others like the Cavs or Jazz would have chances of like 10%. You could work out a perfect system this way.

kingkenny01
09-23-2011, 03:38 PM
2% for the heat sounds like more like .25%

king4day
09-23-2011, 04:16 PM
maybe something similar to what the nhl did and take account the last few seasons.

When the NHL did their draft after a season's lockout they took a few factor's based over the past 5 seasons to determine draft lottery odds. Factors were things like playoff appearances, record, etc. I could see the NBA doing something similar. Whatever they decide it is something they'd have to agree on in the new CBA - I can't see that will be a stumbling block though - just a detail.

Very interesting. I didn't even think about checking what the NHL did.

BullsCore
09-23-2011, 11:01 PM
It should go by teams who havent had a 1st round pick in the last 8 years unless they made the playoffs last season. Cleveland is obviously a bad team that didnt make the playoffs last season but has had two 1st round picks within the last 8 years they should have around the 14th pick. Teams like Minnesota, Sacramento, Detroit, Utah, Bobcats, Houston, Suns, NJ, and GS within the last 8 years nor made the playoffs this season.

Cleveland 14th pick, Washington 13th pick, Clippers 12th, Toronto 11th, Milwaukee 10th.

The draft helps bad teams.

16-30 pick should be in order of elimantion from the playoffs. Meaning Dallas gets the 30th pick and the first team elimanated get the 16th pick.

jimbobjarree
09-23-2011, 11:10 PM
haha whatever they do they'll make it so Minny and Sacramento wont get the top pick :laugh2:

BranWingss
09-23-2011, 11:13 PM
NHL's was perfect.

The loss of the 2004–05 season meant that there were no results on which to base the order of the 2005 entry draft. The league settled on a lottery system in which all teams had a weighted chance at the first pick, expected to be Sidney Crosby. The lottery was tilted so teams with fewer playoff appearances over the last three seasons and fewer number one overall picks over the last four seasons had a better chance of landing higher picks. The complete order was determined by the lottery, and the 2005 draft was conducted in a "snake" style, meaning in even rounds, the draft order was reversed. This system was an attempt to compromise between those who felt all teams should have had an equal chance at the first pick and those who felt only the weaker teams should have been in the running.

Wiki.

Matrix3132
09-23-2011, 11:22 PM

Whether there is a season or not the Cavs are going to have a high pick next year....

3mikee_
09-23-2011, 11:36 PM
The Cavs are going to get the 1st pick regardless..

Anilyzer
09-24-2011, 02:28 AM

No way. The owners want across the board equality for all teams and a hard cap?

Start by having an equal lottery for ALL teams, including the Lakers and the Heat.

Anyways, if there's no season the startup "Superstar Pay-Per-View 2 on 2 ultra HD" league will pick up the top 16 players in the draft, along with a few key free agents who are rich enough to void their NBA contracts, which will help the new, commercial free and BS free league, which uses tennis style refereeing and instant replay, make $400M in their first season with only six teams.