PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

More-Than-Most
09-23-2011, 12:52 AM
The Yankees have a rare opportunity to really screw the Redsox... If they beat the sox and help the rays take the lead after this 3 game series they could strategically knock the Redsox out of the playoffs. They finish against the rays if I am not mistaken... If you were the Yanks and you had the opportunity to knock out a hated rival would you lose on purpose? If a team did what would your reactions be?

If I were the Yankees I would and I would do it with a big ****ing smile on my face... Please do not let this turn into a yankees/Redsox hate thread. If you cant see past the 2 teams just think about the overall situation and use team A and team B

Melo15
09-23-2011, 01:03 AM
The Yankees have earned the right to do whatever they feel is best for their team. It's not their fault the Red Sox decided to start playing like ****. If they feel they match up better with the Rays than the Red Sox then more power to them.

More-Than-Most
09-23-2011, 01:24 AM
Sorry.

Eh, by not playing my starters is the furthest I would go. By striking out on purpose or intentionally dropping balls...don't like that.

Its no big deal. I just don't want it to turn into a yanks/Sox hate Lol

More-Than-Most
09-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Lol Thanks DB... It sucks because I am really interested in peoples opinions on this but it will likely have to be closed because of the General hate for the 2 teams.

DodgerB24
09-23-2011, 01:32 AM
Lol Thanks DB... It sucks because I am really interested in peoples opinions on this but it will likely have to be closed because of the General hate for the 2 teams.

I understand. Silly me not reading the OP all the way through. :p

To further expand:

As a manager I would probably want to rest my starters anyway, so why not do it while hurting my largest rivals chances of making the playoffs? If I'm the Yankees, I send my best out against the Sox and rest them against the Rays for the final series (I think that's their final series).

That's just me though. :rolleyes:

GoatMilk
09-23-2011, 01:50 AM
i'd rather face red sox pitchers than rays pitchers if im the Yanks
Red Sox staff is in shambles right now.

this is wrong, i know, but i feel like they dont deserve to be in the playoffs because of that mess of a staff. stupid logic, but just an idea of how bad they are right now

Rays in the playoffs are scary

Pavelb1
09-23-2011, 01:53 AM
Has nothing to do with 'being a hated rival', pandering catchers aside. Melo summed it up perfectly. If they feel they match up better, go ahead. Girardi is already starting Garcia, Nova and Burnett against Lester, Wakefield, and (gnarf) Lackey. Sabathia won't see a start before the playoffs, but they could use him in relief if they were feeling like doing that.

Pavelb1
09-23-2011, 01:54 AM
i'd rather face red sox pitchers than rays pitchers if im the Yanks
Red Sox staff is in shambles right now.

this is wrong, i know, but i feel like they dont deserve to be in the playoffs because of that mess of a staff. stupid logic, but just an idea of how bad they are right now

Rays in the playoffs are scary

The logic would be that the Yanks just handled the Rays, and Boston has fared well with the Yanks, and have an explosive offense.

GoatMilk
09-23-2011, 02:05 AM
The logic would be that the Yanks just handled the Rays, and Boston has fared well with the Yanks, and have an explosive offense.

no, ME stupid logic.
stupid logic that because they have questionable pitching right now they dont deserve to get in the playoffs

not More-then-Most's question

wait, unless i misreading you lol

ahoda
09-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Why on earth would the Yankees want to see the Rays pitching staff in the post season? Makes 0 sense.

AIsixersFK
09-23-2011, 07:11 AM
Why would they wanna see Bostons? :shrug:

GrumpyOldMan
09-23-2011, 07:26 AM
I wouldn't slag on the Yankees for doing anything right now. They have earned the right to prepare for the postseason in anyway they see fit. If they want to play their AA team then so be it. I think it's more likely that they will rest a couple of starters each day and rest certain pitchers, but whatever they decide to do is okay by me.

Vandelay16
09-23-2011, 10:18 AM
You NEVER lose on purpose. You can however, play your B team.

Fred
09-23-2011, 03:16 PM
If the Yanks can gain an advantage in the playoffs, then go for it...but, screwing the Bosox isn't the advantage of which I am thinking...besides, unless the Angels get in as the WC, the Yanks will play the lesser of the Rangers and Tigers...if I were a Yankee fan, I would try to get the Rangers so as to avoid Verlander in a short series...

bottom line: rivalries exist, but that won't fuel this weekend's games...(IMO)

"Ace"ves
09-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Just rest the starters, play the backup guys... but the backup guys need to play hard. To just intentionally lose on the field is unacceptable. To put a weaker team on paper... that is okay

09-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Just rest the starters, play the backup guys... but the backup guys need to play hard. To just intentionally lose on the field is unacceptable. To put a weaker team on paper... that is okay

Pretty much this. If the Yankees want to rest their starters for the post season they should do it. Let the young guys play but they have to play hard. Do not lose on purpose.

More-Than-Most
09-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Why is losing on purpose unacceptable? Baseball is just as much strategy as it is Luck/Skill so if a move were to favor the playoff team in the long run why would it be so bad? The Goal is to win the world series and the playoffs are a crapshoot but a team like Boston not being there could help the Yanks chances and would also assure them that their hated rival would not win it this year no matter what happens. Its not against the rules is it? So why is it unacceptable?

"Ace"ves
09-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Why is losing on purpose unacceptable? Baseball is just as much strategy as it is Luck/Skill so if a move were to favor the playoff team in the long run why would it be so bad? The Goal is to win the world series and the playoffs are a crapshoot but a team like Boston not being there could help the Yanks chances and would also assure them that their hated rival would not win it this year no matter what happens. Its not against the rules is it? So why is it unacceptable?

u could, its just bush league.

i agree though, they could do it. but its like fighting dirty.... like kicking a guy in the nads to win

09-23-2011, 04:11 PM

Home field advantage is still up for grabs. Balance between resting starters and securing home field.

More-Than-Most
09-23-2011, 04:12 PM
u could, its just bush league.

i agree though, they could do it. but its like fighting dirty.... like kicking a guy in the nads to win

:laugh2:

That made me Lol

AI
09-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Yanks starters playing today, looks like regulars will play this series and rest vs the Rays.

infernoscurse
09-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Why on earth would the Yankees want to see the Rays pitching staff in the post season? Makes 0 sense.

rays have good pitching but weak offense , which bolds well vs the yankees question mark rotation, just look at the records against the teams who the yanks might face in post season

against boston we are 4 - 11

vs the rays 9 - 6

from those 6 losses we have:

one last night in which we put our minor leaguers to start the game

a game in which AJ burnett gave up 6 runs through 5

2 games we lost by 1 run during a timr we were going true injuries

id take the rays all mighty pitcvhing staff vs the redsox lineup any day