PDA

View Full Version : For All You Stat-Heads

jomota
09-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Interesting article in advanced stats…

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/sabermetrics-moneyball-stat-geeks-are-ruining-sports-092211

Paulie6986
09-22-2011, 03:01 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/sabermetrics-moneyball-stat-geeks-are-ruining-sports-092211

Nice reporting jomo.

Yup, too bad too many have forgotten the gray areas and are looking at sport as strictly black and white

I agree mostly what Jason Whitlock wrote.

That's why it's great listening to Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez discussing the fundamental and mental side of the game rather than strictly talking about numbers only. The human element is just as, if not moreso the underlying or motivating factor that causes teams to either lose or win.

ritz
09-22-2011, 03:45 PM
The problem that I have are all of these writers that continue to act like advanced statistics and traditional stats are mutually exclusive. There's nothing wrong with using sabermetrics and traditional stats both.

An issue that I've run into time and time again are people that refuse to listen to an argument as to why a pitcher's W-L record isn't a good indicator of his true talent level or how a hitter with a lot of RBI isn't necessarily better than another hitter with a smaller amount of RBI. Those folks can be just as bad, if not worse than "stat heads". It goes both ways. Personally, I'll be over here enjoying baseball by watching it with my eyes and checking out some stats the next day.

Nymfan87
09-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Looks like the article was written by a very mature individual who had a complete understanding of the statistics he was bashing...oh wait.

OneTuzSea
09-22-2011, 04:02 PM
You know, what I agree! Thinking is scary.

BIG MAN HIT BALL. BALL GO FAR. GAME WE WIN.

There we go, much better. All us stupid nerds ruining a game. There's no room for thought in sports!

Milnertime
09-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Jason Whitlock is annoying.

If he likes the magic and mystery of baseball, he should take his fat *** to a game...maybe somewhere like Wrigley where you're not inundated with Jumbotrons flashing statistics at you...and sit in the bleachers (not the press box) and enjoy the fact that on any given day, any given player can do something amazing.

I just really don't understand why anyone would take time out of their life to criticize something they could easily ignore. If you don't like sabermetrics, don't read/learn about them. It's pretty simple.

Another thing; I'm surprised he didn't turn Sabermetrics into a race issue, too. Damn racist advanced metrics.

jetsfan89
09-22-2011, 06:40 PM
so the reason sabermetrics is ruining baseball is because its boring?

sounds like a guy who dropped out of middle school

OneTuzSea
09-22-2011, 07:09 PM
so the reason sabermetrics is ruining baseball is because its boring?

sounds like a guy who dropped out of middle school

And looks like a guy who ate middleschool.

ugafan
09-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Jason Whitlock is a ****ing idiot. I can't emphasize how stupid this article is. If you like traditional stats, that's fine. This is just stupid.

F*(&"Next Year"
09-22-2011, 07:52 PM
I don't understand why people can't enjoy sabermetrics for what they are. They're meant to make baseball more compelling. Arguing over a players value is more fun when you have more information. Sabermetrics arent the ONLY thing.

Jilly Bohnson
09-23-2011, 01:12 PM

If he likes the magic and mystery of baseball, he should take his fat *** to a game...maybe somewhere like Wrigley where you're not inundated with Jumbotrons flashing statistics at you...and sit in the bleachers (not the press box) and enjoy the fact that on any given day, any given player can do something amazing.

I just really don't understand why anyone would take time out of their life to criticize something they could easily ignore. If you don't like sabermetrics, don't read/learn about them. It's pretty simple.

Another thing; I'm surprised he didn't turn Sabermetrics into a race issue, too. Damn racist advanced metrics.

He and Jemele Hill will have a book out shortly on just that subject I'm sure.

mtf
09-26-2011, 07:52 AM

That was neither interesting or "in" advanced stats. It was just another airhead employee of the Fox corporation who is upset that greater minds than his are leaving him behind in discussions of a topic he wants to participate in.

Wake's Fastball
09-26-2011, 03:13 PM

Summed up perfectly. I think Whitlock may be one of the most idiotic sportswriters out there.

PatsSoxKnicks
09-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Jason Whitlock is a moron who is incapable of rational thought. Not everyone is a middle school drop out.

ZHAKIDD532
10-16-2011, 01:26 AM
I don't understand why people hate advanced stats so much. I love how he bashes guys like Billy Beane to start the article for "conspiring to remove much of the magic and mystery from baseball". Seriously, does he not remember who the 2002 A's were? They were one of the most exciting teams in the league. They set a ML record for wins in a row. How is that boring? They blew a double digit lead only to win the game on a walk homer. How is that boring?

misterd
10-16-2011, 02:54 AM
Only someone who doesn't understand statistics could think that people that do don't already know this. One of the basic understandings of statistical thinking is that, in small sample sizes, "anything can happen", which is why they are ignored when evaluating players.

TheRuckus
10-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Jason Whitlock is a complete waste of life.

koldjerky
10-17-2011, 03:57 PM
The article is bland. All he is saying is that he hates sabermetrics. That's it.

Well thank you, Jason.

ManRam
10-17-2011, 07:53 PM
As dumb as it sounds, when I saw Whitlock wrote it, I immediately closed the page. He's a buffoon who has even admitted that he writes things he doesn't fully believe just to get page hits. This is probably a case of just that.

bosox3431
10-18-2011, 08:40 PM
This is the best part

To talk the game, you now must understand OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging)