PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Lewis: “willing to sacrifice my salary to get a fair deal.”

Punk
09-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Rashard Lewis says he's not to blame for his huge contract but he's willing to sacrifice it for the lockout to end.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/willing-to-sacrifice-wizards-rashard-lewis-says-hes-not-to-blame-for-huge-contract/2011/09/21/gIQAmLn8lK_story.html

:clap:

I hope more stars making large money can do this like Joe Johnson.

John Walls Era
09-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Good now some teams might want him

Shmontaine
09-22-2011, 01:53 PM
good article...

again though, nobody is 'blaming' lewis for taking the contract... but the contract is still the problem... his actions are admirable, and IMO an admission to the fact that the players have gotten a great deal over the last 5 -10 years or so...

Hawkeye15
09-22-2011, 02:00 PM
He isn't personally to blame, but deals like his are a huge cause of the lockout. Owners and GMs need to be saved from themelves honestly.

sep11ie
09-22-2011, 02:12 PM
They should just do free agency like the NBA Sim league... Have all teams send their offers in to Marv, he types them into FBB, then see who it decides who signs where and for what.

GREATNESS ONE
09-22-2011, 02:21 PM
wow impressive, Especially when you take into consideration he'll never get a contract close to that price tag.

Ezio
09-22-2011, 02:24 PM
He isn't personally to blame, but deals like his are a huge cause of the lockout. Owners and GMs need to be saved from themelves honestly.

Yup. You see all those numbers and you sign, don't question it and don't worry about the future.

Shmontaine
09-22-2011, 02:28 PM
wow impressive, Especially when you take into consideration he'll never get a contract close to that price tag.

there's also a chance he doesn't get the money from this contract anyway, as the lockout continues, the less he gets... maybe he's hoping to get the season to start on time and get 8 mill for the year... almost like a half a season, which was projected, but others get their full paycheck... like i said earlier, it's admirable, but also a glimpse into how the players value themselves... wonder if GA would be willing to do the same, i would think not..

king4day
09-22-2011, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't if I were him. Take the money the Magic wanted to spend on him and move on. Unless everyone was willing to restructure, there's no reason he should.

Shmontaine
09-22-2011, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't if I were him. Take the money the Magic wanted to spend on him and move on. Unless everyone was willing to restructure, there's no reason he should.

this is exactly why we have the lockout... the mentality that you have is what the owners believe most of the players have... no sense of duty or earning the money offered... way to go...

OGMarkWahlberg
09-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Shmontaine you are going to tell me if your making over 20 million a year you would offer to give up well over 50% (10 million a year) of your contract? ....... I sure as hell wouldn't the owners are to blame for giving these players the contracts they need to live up to their mistakes and stop *****ing that they make too much money when they initialy agreed to pay them that

Shmontaine
09-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Shmontaine you are going to tell me if your making over 20 million a year you would offer to give up well over 50% (10 million a year) of your contract? ....... I sure as hell wouldn't the owners are to blame for giving these players the contracts they need to live up to their mistakes and stop *****ing that they make too much money when they initialy agreed to pay them that

Making?? Earning?? or being given??? there's quite a difference.... you don't see kobe saying these things -- he earns the money he is paid far more than RL...

You could argue that Rashard Lewis is living up to his end of the bargain, which was to be a max player.. and since he clearly isn't, he's willing to give back the max money... there are people in this world who don't want a 'handout', and want to earn their income...

If i was being paid 20Mil a year and my job production/performance dropped significantly, i would be fired or my pay would be reduced, simple as that...

OGMarkWahlberg
09-22-2011, 03:21 PM
this is exactly why we have the lockout... the mentality that you have is what the owners believe most of the players have... no sense of duty or earning the money offered... way to go...

Making?? Earning?? or being given??? there's quite a difference.... you don't see kobe saying these things -- he earns the money he is paid far more than RL...

You could argue that Rashard Lewis is living up to his end of the bargain, which was to be a max player.. and since he clearly isn't, he's willing to give back the max money... there are people in this world who don't want a 'handout', and want to earn their income...

If i was being paid 20Mil a year and my job production/performance dropped significantly, i would be fired or my pay would be reduced, simple as that...

I understand what your saying about the significant drop of production and yes if it was you and me we would be fired without a doubt. However NBA players don't get fired thanks to the guraunteed money. He signed his contract and he has every right to finish it out, the owner is at fault here not him. I commend him for making the gesture to reconstruct his contract but if he does he is an absolute idiot. I can't see anyone paying him more than the MLE, thats over a 15 million dollars pay cut a year. The owners f*cked up here and they have to live with it .. the contracts that some guys get are just mind boggling

b_russ
09-22-2011, 03:22 PM

I agree. I hope the new CBA coinisides with that reasoning.

smith&wesson
09-22-2011, 03:31 PM
i admire what he is trying to do. but its not right. when he got his contract he was a really good player. that money was promiced to him and it decided where he would go to play next. why the hell should he give up money promiced to him ?

the owners created this problem. they have to solve it. if im an employee to a company and the company over pays me is it up to me to try and fix the company by giving up half my wage ? i dont think so.

Shmontaine
09-22-2011, 03:36 PM
I understand what your saying about the significant drop of production and yes if it was you and me we would be fired without a doubt. However NBA players don't get fired thanks to the guraunteed money. He signed his contract and he has every right to finish it out, the owner is at fault here not him. I commend him for making the gesture to reconstruct his contract but if he does he is an absolute idiot. I can't see anyone paying him more than the MLE, thats over a 15 million dollars pay cut a year. The owners f*cked up here and they have to live with it .. the contracts that some guys get are just mind boggling

nobody is denying that the owners shouldn't have given out the contracts... but, they are the OWNERS.. they collectively OWN THE GAME... if they choose to close the doors (lockout), albeit temporarily, that's their choice... it's their business... it's not like the owners are using scabs here, they are simply closing the nba doors... if the owners want to end guaranteed contracts, implement a hard cap, etc.; how else do you do it, other than a lockout??

Shmontaine
09-22-2011, 03:41 PM
i admire what he is trying to do. but its not right. when he got his contract he was a really good player. that money was promiced to him and it decided where he would go to play next. why the hell should he give up money promiced to him ?

the owners created this problem. they have to solve it. if im an employee to a company and the company over pays me is it up to me to try and fix the company by giving up half my wage ? i dont think so.

I believe the owners are solving it... by locking out the players until they get a business model that they can agree upon... remember, the owners own the game...

based on your last sentence, it seems like you would rather have your company go bankrupt while you make out like a bandit... it's called killing the goose that lays the golden eggs/ or crop sustainability.... whatever model you like best...

OGMarkWahlberg
09-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Shmontaine I understand your points and where your coming from, guess we just have different views on this one. I respect your opinion though :)

NYY 26 to 7
09-22-2011, 03:59 PM

Not if you had a contract. You would have negotiated large large buyout or a golden parachute if you were at that high of a level. Gaurenteed contacts do not incentivize people to work harder and if the team believed he was worth it - which is crazy because even at the time no one thought he was worth that. I am a bit partial to the owners but no one should be excused of their awful decisions. Some people run bad organizations, it happens.

Shmontaine
09-22-2011, 03:59 PM
i personally don't really care how many millions everyone involved makes, i just want bball...

Shmontaine
09-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Not if you had a contract. You would have negotiated large large buyout or a golden parachute if you were at that high of a level.

how highly are execs who've used 'golden parachutes' been looked upon... their company tanks and they make millions... they're viewed as thieves...

Gaurenteed contacts do not incentivize people to work harder and if the team believed he was worth it - which is crazy because even at the time no one thought he was worth that. I am a bit partial to the owners but no one should be excused of their awful decisions.

how do get rid of guaranteed contracts, then?? you can't phase them out, what about the guys like JJ who just signed a ridiculous max deal for the next 5 years?? should better players get non guarantees going forward while 'honoring' JJ's contract?? you have to get rid of them for everyone at the same time IMO...

Some people run bad organizations, it happens.

yeah, but the owners have the right to restructure their own organization, don't they?? they do own the organization after all...

c0rbz
09-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Cool

Bruno
09-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Good for Rashard Lewis. The dude has already made 118 million dollars from NBA contracts (before taxes, excluding endorsements), sounds like he's taken good care of his money, and wants to play ball. Nice.

macc
09-22-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm sorry but I do't buy the owners side of things. It's them to offered the contract. If they can't pay it it's on them. There's def risk in signing people to guarenteed contracts. If you don't believe a player is worth the risk then don't offer the contract, or offer a shorter contract.

Bottom line is there is risk in being an owner but let's not feel bad for them because if the risk pays off then they are making billions, if it doesn't then some teams are in the bind they are in right now.

I understand theres competition, esp when people are bidding for a player, but an owner should know his limits, if you go to an auction and start bidding on something, in the back of your mind you know when enough is enough.

Rashard Lewis is one of the poster boys but at least he was averaging 23 ppg when he signed that contract, granted noone really thought he was worth it but at least he was playing at a high level.

Then you have players who are making 10+ million per year because they are 7 ft tall. Those are even crazier contracts to me because even your most fair weather fan knows they are not worth it.

Now if you want to argue guarenteed contracts vs non guarenteed contracts then that's a different issue, but players like Rashard shouldn't have to give back money that was promised to them, first off by Orlando when they offered it to him and then by Washington when they traded for him and took on his contract.

TheNumber37
09-22-2011, 05:53 PM
I'd like to see lewis on the clippers, I think i'd thrive there, less pressure, more fun with blake.

Tony_Starks
09-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Bank of America made poor investments, their stock wen't down, and as a result is laying off 30,000 people to "restructure and cut cost." Does this theme sound familiar? The only difference is that despite the owners poor investments the NBA stock is actually up.

Moral of the owners story: "If we screw up, YOU (players and fans) have to pay for it! Who do you think we are billionaires or something?"

Cosmic_Canon
09-22-2011, 09:10 PM

Because incorporating "Joe Schmo" logic for economics, makes sense.
What next, you're going to say "he should be honored to play in the NBA", and "I'd play in the NBA for free"? :rolleyes:

Bottom line is, it's probably a shrewd move by Rashard. It makes the players look good, and puts more pressure on the owners. If he's willing to sacrifice his salary, he's trying to get the season to start, therefore he gets paid since there are games.
Good move for Rashard and the players.

naps
09-22-2011, 09:37 PM
The owners are the ones who should get all the blames. No one should blame Arenas, Lewis, or Joe Johnson. I mean they were offered the big money and they took it up. Who wouldn't?

da ThRONe
09-22-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm indifferent about this. It's a personal matter if Lewis is ok with chopping his salary it's on him. There's no right or wrong. If any player said they would refuse to have their salary altered I have no problem with that either.

gwrighter
09-22-2011, 11:40 PM
lol says the guy that benefitted from the terrible system.

likemystylez
09-23-2011, 02:30 AM
lol says the guy that benefitted from the terrible system.

seriously, if he sacraficed his salry from the start... we prob wouldnt be in this mess

MJ-BULLS
09-23-2011, 02:47 AM
Good for Rashard. Nice to see him do this. If only more players could do the same.