PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard Will Not Win DPOY This Year

JasonJohnHorn
09-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Dwight Howard has been a beast defensively, and will continue to be a dominant force on the defensive end, but traditionally voters have tended to vote for the league leaders in either steals or blocks (not that they are right in doing so), while also being guilty of one thing above all others: Getting tired of voting for the same guy. Its why Jordan didn't have 10 MVP awards. Its why Nash only has 3 (yes, Nash deserved a third one). Its why Mutumbo didnt win it every year, and a big part of the reason as to why LBJ didnt win the MVP award this past season.

Voters get tired of voting for the same players over and over, and with some of the young shot blockers out there (McGee, Bogut, and Ibaka) putting up better numbers (or at least as good) than Dwight (which doesn't make them better defenders), I cant see voters giving Dwight another DPOY award this season.

Perhaps an MVP award though ;-)

Not saying it is right or wrong, just saying it won't happen.

Swashcuff
09-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Check out Serge Iblocka's performance against France. That's Dwight biggest competition IMO.

LosDoyers1
09-21-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure who else would challenge Dwight. I don't even think Ibaka is close. If the player is truly dominant at his position defensively (which Dwight is), I see no reason why he can't just win the award until somebody else proves otherwise.

naps
09-21-2011, 01:11 AM
LeBron James can turn out to be Dwight's strongest opponent on for the DPOY next year.

tredigs
09-21-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm not sure who else would challenge Dwight. I don't even think Ibaka is close. If the player is truly dominant at his position defensively (which Dwight is), I see no reason why he can't just win the award until somebody else proves otherwise.

Agreed that this past season Ibaka wasn't even close, but it definitely bears mentioning that he's a guy who has shown the drive to consistently improve his game over off-seasons (offensively and defensively), and at the age of twenty-freakin'-one he DOES already hold the NBA record for most blocks in a playoff game (rattled off 9 against the Nuggets, and I think averaged 4-5 throughout the playoffs).

He's going to be an absolute beast. Another reason that I'm jealous of OKC fans.

John Walls Era
09-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Mcgee will get it. Or at least come close.

knightstemplar
09-21-2011, 01:18 AM
LeBron James can turn out to be Dwight's strongest opponent on for the DPOY next year.

notsureifsrs

Chill_Will_24
09-21-2011, 01:35 AM
If Dwight doesnt win MVP he will get DPOY.. but if he gets it i can definitely see Lebron getting it. He is an elite defender.

TheRunKiller
09-21-2011, 02:31 AM

just give lebron MVP DPOY Finals MVP Coach of the Year MIP, everything i think he can do it.

Bruno
09-21-2011, 02:38 AM
I expect him to win again next season. He's not a lock to win it another five years in a row though.

naps
09-21-2011, 03:02 AM
just give lebron MVP DPOY Finals MVP Coach of the Year MIP, everything i think he can do it.

Why are you crying here? LeBron is a legit candidate for DPOY. He was 2nd in DPOY voting in 2009. He took it on another level last year. I won't be surprised if he improves even more next year. Didn't he shut down your best player to 9.8% 4th quarter shooting in last year's ECF? Stop being jealous.

LakersMaster24
09-21-2011, 03:25 AM
The difference between Dwight, and other defensive bigs like Ibaka and McGee, is the fact that Dwight is a good one on one defender too. Ibaka and McGee are more like "Help defenders" that swat away shot attempts by other players who are guarded by another person. Do you guys get what I mean? Ibaka for example, is not that good of a defender one on one. He is a great shot blocker, but not the type to shut down the opposing big. Dwight has the ability to do that.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-21-2011, 04:05 AM
Mcgee will get it. Or at least come close.

mggee is a great shotblocker, but an average defender.

MagicBucsSox
09-21-2011, 06:34 AM
The difference between Dwight, and other defensive bigs like Ibaka and McGee, is the fact that Dwight is a good one on one defender too. Ibaka and McGee are more like "Help defenders" that swat away shot attempts by other players who are guarded by another person. Do you guys get what I mean? Ibaka for example, is not that good of a defender one on one. He is a great shot blocker, but not the type to shut down the opposing big. Dwight has the ability to do that.

This

Greet
09-21-2011, 08:17 AM
This isn't the M"V"P award. Usually the most deserving wins DPOY.

gwrighter
09-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Seeing as there are many good Pg's in the game...I think that if there imerges a PG stopper he might be able to snatch it away from Dwight.

tredigs
09-21-2011, 08:57 AM

Agree completely, but also 21 with elite athleticism and still learning how to defend. That's why I see the possibility there.

justinnum1
09-21-2011, 09:09 AM
If dwight does not win it, lebron will

ewmania
09-21-2011, 09:19 AM
the yes option isn't really balanced out with the No option

even though I don't believe it will be set for the next 5 seasons, I do believe he has one more year in his belt

because nobody is really on his level of defense in the NBA, the closest guys I would say is either Lebron or it could be Josh Smith if given his proper position or different system. and Maybe Iggy if another system

Swashcuff
09-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Actually though Dwight is good he isn't the best maybe more like fringe top 5 in that regard. I see no reason why a guy like Serge can't improve just like Dwight has in that aspect of his game and become one of the premiere individual defenders in the league.

Dwight biggest asset IMO is his ability to rule the paint and hold his territory. This is the reason why that despite not having any real quality defensive players to support him the Magic was still a top defensive team in the league over the past 3 years and top 6 every season after Dwight's rookie year. That IMO is the biggest difference between Dwight and every other defensive player in the league not named Kevin Garnett. He is the true definition of a defensive anchor in today's NBA.

sep11ie
09-21-2011, 10:10 AM
I think your threads you start are terrible.

Avenged
09-21-2011, 10:28 AM
"Its why Nash only has 3 (yes, Nash deserved a third one)"

:speechless:

THE GIPPER
09-21-2011, 10:39 AM
I think the reason dwight didnt lead the league in blocks is because opposing teams think twice before attempting any layups while playing the magic. If a player sees dwight between him and the rim, its unlikely they will shoot it.

kingkenny01
09-21-2011, 10:40 AM
andrew bogut this year has it

Chronz
09-21-2011, 03:07 PM
mggee is a great shotblocker, but an average defender.

Thats exactly how Dwight started off

Mile High Champ
09-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Check out Serge Iblocka's performance against France. That's Dwight biggest competition IMO.

Ibaka is an awful defender but a good help defender. He has no chance of ever winning the award.

smith&wesson
09-21-2011, 03:32 PM
theres alot of players that can block shots and offer great help D like tyson chandler, ibaka, mcgee, etc..

but no one changes the game defensivley like dwight howard. not in this era.
last one i could think of was mutombo or prime ben wallace.

Swashcuff
09-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Ibaka is an awful defender but a good help defender. He has no chance of ever winning the award.

What do you think of Marcus Camby?

I think you're not giving him any credit. He's only 2 years into the league and has a work ethic as good as you can ask of any player in the league. He's not awful individually by any means he may not be the very best but what was Dwight when he came into the league?