PDA

View Full Version : The Yankees, Red Sox, Rays Tango - What is right?

misterd
09-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Though it isn't certain yet, the Yankees are pretty much a lock for the post season and probably the division. That means there is a good chance that they will have clinched with a week or more left to go.

Meanwhile the Red Sox have just 2 games on Tampa, which means the WC is still open, though clearly the Sox have to be favored. The problem is that the Yankees will be playing the Rays for many of their final games, including their final series which will almost certainly be meaningless for the Yanks.

Now the Yankees will want to rest their regulars and prepare for the post season. But that will likely mean giving a half effort in games that have meaning, and may hand the Rays easier victories.

So my question is should the Yankees play the Rays games as if they matter to preserve the integrity of the race, or just worry about putting their own house in order regardless of what it means to Tampa and Boston?

"Ace"ves
09-20-2011, 04:50 PM
they should play hard until they clinch the division

at that point, they should prep for the postseason. If they think it would do the starters good to play against the Rays, then do it. If they think days off will help, do that.

but if the scrubs are in against the Rays and the yanks clinched, they shud still play hard

DodgerB24
09-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Play hard against the Sox, rest everyone else against the Rays. That's how I would want it as a Yanks fan. :teeth:

F*(&"Next Year"
09-20-2011, 04:56 PM
I personally think time off heading into October is a bad thing. Teams win in the playoffs when they have momentum going into October.

StayOnBoard
09-20-2011, 04:58 PM
I figure the yankees will play hard no matter what - and even if many guys are rested (A-Rod, Jeter, Teixeria), the backups will still play tough baseball.

The pitching will still be good too I think - so the Rays won't have anything handed to them. Also, who would you rather play right now if you're the Yankees? Boston or Tampa Bay? I'd have to say Tampa Bay, given Boston's horrid pitching staff and lack of play from their superstar players - Tampa is on a roll and red hot, I think it would be worse playing them at this point in time.

SportsGuru2110
09-21-2011, 07:43 AM
It's looking like the Yankees are going to win the division. I'm really hoping that the Sox, Rays, and Yankees beat up on each other as the Angels sneak up from behind and steal the WC.

theslick1
09-21-2011, 01:07 PM
I don't think Girardi will play a "B" lineup in any games that are meaningful to any of the three teams.

McJoe
09-21-2011, 01:34 PM
I personally think time off heading into October is a bad thing. Teams win in the playoffs when they have momentum going into October.

I agree. But I agree with the other side too. The Yanks SHOULD rest their regulars and SHOULDN'T use guys like Sabathia in that final series against the Rays if they have already clinched but in no way should they coast and just lose all 3 with a half effort. The first round of the playoffs is essentially a home and home 2 game series and a tie breaker. If you go into that cold and lose the first 2, you're ****ed.

If I were the Yankees, the only guy I'd make sure I rested was Sabathia and I probably wouldn't use Rivera either. I'd probably rest Granderson, A-Rod, Jeter, Tex, and Cano in one of the 3 games in the series but only 1 of them. You can't go into such a short series cold, no matter who you are...a hot team can do some major damage and a cold team can really **** the bed come the postseason.

Halopower31
09-21-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm just begging the Yankees can sweep the Red Sox this weekend so the Angels could get in front of the wild card. So when Texas has already clinched the division the final three games against them will be easier when we send Haren Santana Weaver out against Texas the last three games.

oak2455
09-21-2011, 01:53 PM
It's looking like the Yankees are going to win the division. I'm really hoping that the Sox, Rays, and Yankees beat up on each other as the Angels sneak up from behind and steal the WC.

where do u buy your drugs from????:D

SportsGuru2110
09-21-2011, 02:27 PM
where do u buy your drugs from????:D

I didn't say that's what was going to happen. I said that's what I hoped would happen.

Crucis
09-21-2011, 02:41 PM
I didn't say that's what was going to happen. I said that's what I hoped would happen.

I don't think that the Angels should write themselves off just yet. As bad as the Sox are playing, they could easily be passed by either the Rays or the Angels. And if the Angels get hot in this last week and the Rays don't, who knows?

Right now, it feels like the Sox are circling the drain. :(

fadedmario
09-21-2011, 02:46 PM
If I were the Yankees, I'd lay down against the Rays if it meant bouncing the Red Sox from the post-season. It may be dirty - but it could also be looked at as a form of strategy.

TheRuckus
09-21-2011, 05:10 PM
It's not the Yankees' responsibility to help another team make the postseason.

Once they clinch, they can do whatever the hell they want, whatever they think will best serve their chances at winning a championship. It's their right, they've earned the luxury.

Eat_At_Joe's
09-21-2011, 05:19 PM
It's not the Yankees' responsibility to help another team make the postseason.

Once they clinch, they can do whatever the hell they want, whatever they think will best serve their chances at winning a championship. It's their right, they've earned the luxury.

Why did you delete my message for? That was not insulting. Just because I said NY and TB suck is not an insult....come on, man.

09-21-2011, 05:27 PM
If I were the Yankees, I'd lay down against the Rays if it meant bouncing the Red Sox from the post-season. It may be dirty - but it could also be looked at as a form of strategy.

Even though the Sox are collapsing, I'd rather play the Rays. They have a mediocre offense and the second worst bullpen in all of MLB. The only advantage the Rays have is their starting rotation. Shields and Price are significantly better than Beckett and Lester. Niemann is better than any #3 on the Sox. His performance this season has been closer to Lester's than Lester's is to Shields. Niemann has become really good. The 4 and 5 starters are about equal. Hellickson has actually sucked according to SIERA and xFIP. He's equivalent to Lackey. Wade Davis and Wakefield are both egregious. The Red Sox are a better team. Their bullpen is better by an extremely wide margin, their offense is #1 compared to the Rays middle of the pack offense, and they seem to be pretty close to even on defense.

09-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Why did you delete my message for? That was not insulting. Just because I said NY and TB suck is not an insult....come on, man.

Uh, the Yankees are 44 games over .500. Saying they suck is like saying that Justin Verlander is worse than Brian Matusz.

TrueYankee
09-21-2011, 05:34 PM
As a Yankee fan I rather play the Rays instead of the sox in the post season, but both have their strengths and weaknesses so it doesnt matter.

In response on whether Yankees should be playing hard the rest of the way, dam straight they better. You want to go into the post season with alot of momentum and positive vibes. Frankly, all the Yankee starters have alot to prove besides CC and Nova. Its wide open who takes the #3 slot in the rotation.

As per the offense, yea sure its good to rest guys but not in consecutive days. You want everyone fresh and ready to go by game 1.

gotcabrera10
09-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Uh, the Yankees are 44 games over .500. Saying they suck is like saying that Justin Verlander is worse than Brian Matusz.

34 games over .500

09-21-2011, 07:42 PM
34 games over .500

Yup, pardon the typo. Last I checked, that's the second best record in MLB.

ne3xchamps
09-21-2011, 08:10 PM

agreed. They should play tough all the way through. Whoever wins the wildcard, should win fair and square.

misterd
09-21-2011, 10:01 PM

Except the Red Sox are so bad right now that I'd almost prefer facing them over the Rays.