PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant to loan NBA players money during lockout

Fresno
09-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Interesting.

http://i.imgur.com/PQHsy.jpg

We've heard several times over the past few months that many NBA players live paycheck to paycheck, a state of affairs that undermines the conception that they're all overpaid children. It's amazing how expenses can pile up for young men with tons of new responsibilities.

Depending on who you ask, this lockout may last many more months. If that happens, many of these paycheck-to-paycheck players may need some financial help. The good news is that several union members are prepared to lend a helping hand, including one of the league's titans. From Lance Pugmire's interview with Billy Hunter for the Los Angeles Times (via EOB):

What role will NBA superstars like Kobe Bryant and LeBron James play as this moves forward?

"They've been deeply involved in the meetings we've had. I know Kobe is intimately involved in interfacing with colleagues and sharing in a pool of revenue to help the others get through this. Kobe has volunteered to do that in the event others need, he and others are prepared to loan money if necessary."
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Kobe-Bryant-is-prepared-to-loan-players-money-du?urn=nba-wp8558

Kobe is going to start taxing these young NBA players. :laugh:

CostanzaNumba0
09-20-2011, 04:33 PM
i hope these loans are interest free, the dude doesnt need more money. I couldnt imagine the frustration for rookies right now though

Fresno
09-20-2011, 04:37 PM
i hope these loans are interest free, the dude doesnt need more money. I couldnt imagine the frustration for rookies right now though

He'll be taxing them on & off the court.

brb draining a fadeaway jumper in Derrick Williams face then saying "You owe me back $100K, boy"

Cubs Win
09-20-2011, 04:40 PM
He'll be taxing them on & off the court.

brb draining a fadeaway jumper in Derrick Williams face then saying "You owe me back $100K, boy"

:laugh:

smith&wesson
09-20-2011, 04:42 PM
baller in every sence of the word

GREATNESS ONE
09-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Nice. True Leadership shown by Kobe.

Fresno
09-20-2011, 04:45 PM
baller in every sence of the word

Truth.

I doubt any other NBA player can do this since they're still feeding the 20 members of their entourage.

Geargo Wallace
09-20-2011, 04:48 PM
He's like China.

mekedubs
09-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Yep!!! If you owe Kobe ANY money, you'd better pay him before you face him on the court or at least come to some kind of agreement!!!! Make payments, sell a car or SOMETHING! I'm just sayin'....

whitemamba33
09-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Does anyone else find it incredibly difficult to feel any kind of sympathy at all for these players that are living "pay check to paycheck"? Let's not pretend that those checks don't add up to several millions of dollars per year. Maybe they won't be able to heat their in-ground pool for a month? Or they'll have to sell one of their 10 cars?

silly.

jetsfan28
09-20-2011, 06:56 PM
Does anyone else find it incredibly difficult to feel any kind of sympathy at all for these players that are living "pay check to paycheck"? Let's not pretend that those checks don't add up to several millions of dollars per year. Maybe they won't be able to heat their in-ground pool for a month? Or they'll have to sell one of their 10 cars?

silly.

A player with only 3 years of service will have made as little as slightly over 2 million dollars. And it's not like a minimum salary guy like that can get another job, he needs to train constantly or he'll be passed by other players. And he needs to pay trainers, and pay for his health insurance during that time. So unless they dip into their retirement accounts, which everyone in any job is hesitant to do, they need some help.

Not everyone has 10 cars and makes several millions of dollars per year.

likemystylez
09-20-2011, 07:04 PM
kobe wtf... we want this lock out to end, dont give the players money to hold off more... somebody needs to give in and it will eventually be the players anyway... all hes doin is prolonging the lockout and hurting the fans

netsgiantsyanks
09-20-2011, 07:09 PM
there's always male stripping if the rookies need some quick money :shrug:

likemystylez
09-20-2011, 07:28 PM
there's always male stripping if the rookies need some quick money :shrug:

actually the rookies dont have a penny to their names. They havent actually been signed yet and dont have active contracts until the lockout is over

Andrew32
09-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Good for him although he is making what like 36 mill a year so anything he gives is like lint change to him.

Hawkeye15
09-20-2011, 07:38 PM

silly.

um, this. How can any of us feel bad for anyone but rookies?

gwrighter
09-20-2011, 07:48 PM
#revenue sharing.

GunFactor187
09-20-2011, 07:51 PM
What Kobe SHOULD do is get involved with CBA negotiations.

jetsfan28
09-20-2011, 07:52 PM
um, this. How can any of us feel bad for anyone but rookies?

A player with only 3 years of service will have made as little as slightly over 2 million dollars. And it's not like a minimum salary guy like that can get another job, he needs to train constantly or he'll be passed by other players. And he needs to pay trainers, and pay for his health insurance during that time. So unless they dip into their retirement accounts, which everyone in any job is hesitant to do, they need some help.

This is how. Slightly over 2 million dollars, which is slightly over a million after taxes, for a guy who has played 3 years and hasn't been paying things like insurance that he now has to pay is not that much. Think about guys who need surgery, and either need to pay out of pocket or risk their careers by waiting and then missing time during the season until they're finally healthy.

Any borderline roster guy with less than 5 years of experience can be crushed by this.

Also, people should feel even less bad for the ridiculous owners like Sarver and Gilbert who are creating this problem. Guys who killed their teams with cheapness and stupidity, respectively.

whitemamba33
09-20-2011, 08:05 PM

Oh really? ONLY 2 million?

I guess that explains everything.

LOL.

Andrew32
09-20-2011, 08:11 PM
NBA players make too much money.

5 Mill a year should be the absolute most paid to any of them.

Yea very few people can play in the NBA but they all love basketball and getting paid 20+ mill a year to travel and play ur favorite sport is so... xP

whitemamba33
09-20-2011, 08:11 PM
This is how. Slightly over 2 million dollars, which is slightly over a million after taxes, for a guy who has played 3 years and hasn't been paying things like insurance that he now has to pay is not that much. Think about guys who need surgery, and either need to pay out of pocket or risk their careers by waiting and then missing time during the season until they're finally healthy.

Any borderline roster guy with less than 5 years of experience can be crushed by this.

Also, people should feel even less bad for the ridiculous owners like Sarver and Gilbert who are creating this problem. Guys who killed their teams with cheapness and stupidity, respectively.

There are MILLIONS of people that face the same problems you outlined...except they aren't making "slightly over 2 million dollars".

PS: I strongly recommend you check out the documentary "Sicko" if you are looking for people who need to pay out of pocket for surgery. I'd LOVE to ask one of them if they feel that they could "get by" on 2 million dollars.

I knew the numbers before you gave them to me...but your attempt to make 2+ million dollars sound like spare change couldn't fail harder.

Andrew32
09-20-2011, 08:13 PM
I know right.. I mean I am just jealous I cant play in the NBA but seriously the money these guys make is outrageous.

jetsfan28
09-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Oh really? ONLY 2 million?

I guess that explains everything.

LOL.

Yes, only 2 million. Taxes cut that down to maybe 1.4 million. An agent takes a good chunk of that out, maybe down to 1.2 million. If you live in a big market like New York, you probably want to live there (if not, you'll be renting hotels during training camp, which raises the price). And then if one of these guys needs surgery for something that happens during the season, the costs are ridiculously high. Living in New York City if you play for the Knicks on 400K a year average for 3 years after taxes, while supporting a family, living in a safe neighborhood with good schools for your kids, while paying for the rigors that occur with an NBA season and the training that needs to be done to stay in the league, and saving for retirement since if you're a rotational guy you'll be lucky to play into your 30's and aren't trained for much else is not easy.

Hell of a lot more difficult than it is for Dan Gilbert, who is worth approximately $900 million. And yes, compared to that, those NBA players have ONLY $2 million.

ManRam
09-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Give it to me, or charity...

I'm not gonna ever feel bad for these guys. Just go over seas and make a few million if you're really desperate.

Evolution23
09-20-2011, 08:21 PM
This sounds made up. Kobe wouldn't do that.

jetsfan28
09-20-2011, 08:24 PM
There are MILLIONS of people that face the same problems you outlined...except they aren't making "slightly over 2 million dollars".

PS: I strongly recommend you check out the documentary "Sicko" if you are looking for people who need to pay out of pocket for surgery. I'd LOVE to ask one of them if they feel that they could "get by" on 2 million dollars.

I knew the numbers before you gave them to me...but your attempt to make 2+ million dollars sound like spare change couldn't fail harder.

Sure there are. And most of those people get the benefit of the doubt when their bosses, who have $900 million, are trying to take money away from them to pay for their own stupidity. Athletes are the only people to whom we don't give this benefit.

whitemamba33
09-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Yes, only 2 million. Taxes cut that down to maybe 1.4 million. An agent takes a good chunk of that out, maybe down to 1.2 million. If you live in a big market like New York, you probably want to live there (if not, you'll be renting hotels during training camp, which raises the price). And then if one of these guys needs surgery for something that happens during the season, the costs are ridiculously high. Living in New York City if you play for the Knicks on 400K a year average for 3 years after taxes, while supporting a family, living in a safe neighborhood with good schools for your kids, while paying for the rigors that occur with an NBA season and the training that needs to be done to stay in the league, and saving for retirement since if you're a rotational guy you'll be lucky to play into your 30's and aren't trained for much else is not easy.

Hell of a lot more difficult than it is for Dan Gilbert, who is worth approximately $900 million. And yes, compared to that, those NBA players have ONLY $2 million.

Start at 50K instead of 2 million...I bet you'll get to zero faster that way.

kntresistheheat
09-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Its funny how much you guys hate lebron. Unless I am reading this wrong?? It says Kobe, lebron and several other players are involved. Back to the topic. I think it's BS, it's a way to add their names in the meetings.

What role will NBA superstars like Kobe Bryant and LeBron James play as this moves forward.

"They've been deeply involved in the meetings we've had. I know Kobe is intimately involved in interfacing with colleagues and sharing in a pool of revenue to help the others get through this. Kobe has volunteered to do that in the event others need, he and others are prepared to loan money if necessary."

kntresistheheat
09-20-2011, 08:31 PM
My iPhone is trippin, it put it in double qoute.

jetsfan28
09-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Start at 50K instead of 2 million...I bet you'll get to zero faster that way.

Start at 0 instead of 50K, I bet you'll get to zero faster that way (instantly, actually).

So I guess we shouldn't care about the 50K worker, either?

It's all relative. Sure, they make more than the guy who makes 50K. They also have a hell of a lot less than the owners who have hundreds of millions of dollars. They also have less job security than plenty of the 50K workers, a job that forces them to constantly relocate and to be away from home for much of the year, and medical costs during the lockout that the 50K worker doesn't have (even if they don't have health insurance, the 50K worker probably won't tear an ACL from rigorous activity).

whitemamba33
09-20-2011, 08:35 PM
actually the rookies dont have a penny to their names. They havent actually been signed yet and dont have active contracts until the lockout is over

That's what "jobs" are for.

jetsfan28
09-20-2011, 08:37 PM
That's what "jobs" are for.

And if they get other jobs, while others are constantly training to be in the NBA, they won't be long for the league.

Mishmin
09-20-2011, 08:48 PM
****, give me some money.

whitemamba33
09-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Start at 0 instead of 50K, I bet you'll get to zero faster that way (instantly, actually).

So I guess we shouldn't care about the 50K worker, either?

It's all relative. Sure, they make more than the guy who makes 50K. They also have a hell of a lot less than the owners who have hundreds of millions of dollars. They also have less job security than plenty of the 50K workers, a job that forces them to constantly relocate and to be away from home for much of the year, and medical costs during the lockout that the 50K worker doesn't have (even if they don't have health insurance, the 50K worker probably won't tear an ACL from rigorous activity).

I know you were trying to be sneaky with your "start at 0" comment, but with all the debt people wrack up, many would be very fortunate to start at zero. The reality is that many people start in the negatives and spend their lives reaching for 0.

In general, I'm going to care more about the people that make less. If you can't understand the rather HUGE gap between 50K and 400K...there is not much I can do for you.

Who cares if they have less than the owners. Guess what? They also have less than Bill Gates too! Bottom line: 400K a year is NOTHING to feel sorry for someone about. If you want, you can continue to list these players expenses including everything from prostitutes to toilet paper. But none of that will change the fact that 400K is WELL above the national average and certainly more than enough for someone to live off of.

Lot's of people have jobs that cause them to relocate frequently. Factories are being closed, business are going out of business...I'm not seeing a whole lot of job security there either. These people are facing the same problems and pressures with only a fraction of the yearly income to pay for it.

whitemamba33
09-20-2011, 08:50 PM
And if they get other jobs, while others are constantly training to be in the NBA, they won't be long for the league.

Yes...because all these players do with their free time is train.

:eyebrow:

fadedmario
09-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Yep!!! If you owe Kobe ANY money, you'd better pay him before you face him on the court or at least come to some kind of agreement!!!! Make payments, sell a car or SOMETHING! I'm just sayin'....

lol - Kobe's finished. Accept it. He'll get swept again next year.

IndiansFan337
09-20-2011, 09:03 PM
I hope they aren't just handshake loans, because we all know that many NBA players have had difficulties paying back their debts.

jetsfan28
09-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I know you were trying to be sneaky with your "start at 0" comment, but with all the debt people wrack up, many would be very fortunate to start at zero. The reality is that many people start in the negatives and spend their lives reaching for 0.

In general, I'm going to care more about the people that make less. If you can't understand the rather HUGE gap between 50K and 400K...there is not much I can do for you.

Who cares if they have less than the owners. Guess what? They also have less than Bill Gates too! Bottom line: 400K a year is NOTHING to feel sorry for someone about. If you want, you can continue to list these players expenses including everything from prostitutes to toilet paper. But none of that will change the fact that 400K is WELL above the national average and certainly more than enough for someone to live off of.

Lot's of people have jobs that cause them to relocate frequently. Factories are being closed, business are going out of business...I'm not seeing a whole lot of job security there either. These people are facing the same problems and pressures with only a fraction of the yearly income to pay for it.

No, I wasn't trying to be sneaky at all. There are people who can't get any jobs at all, yet we still tend to side with workers when CEO's are being idiots, even though they make more than jobless people. Saying there are people who make less than NBA players so we shouldn't care about the fact that they're being mistreated by owners is a horrible argument.

And that HUGE gap is reflected in the fact that those NBA players will be done around age 30 with no other experience to fall back on, and they also need to spend far, far more time away from home than the average worker. And again, you could say all the same things you're saying about the players about the owners, only to a much larger degree.

And no one's saying anything about feeling sorry for the players, but it is understandable that a lockout could cause some financial hardships for them. To not understand that is simply ignorant.

whitemamba33
09-20-2011, 09:24 PM
No, I wasn't trying to be sneaky at all. There are people who can't get any jobs at all, yet we still tend to side with workers when CEO's are being idiots, even though they make more than jobless people. Saying there are people who make less than NBA players so we shouldn't care about the fact that they're being mistreated by owners is a horrible argument.

And that HUGE gap is reflected in the fact that those NBA players will be done around age 30 with no other experience to fall back on, and they also need to spend far, far more time away from home than the average worker. And again, you could say all the same things you're saying about the players about the owners, only to a much larger degree.

And no one's saying anything about feeling sorry for the players, but it is understandable that a lockout could cause some financial hardships for them. To not understand that is simply ignorant.

WE side with the workers? I haven't commented ONCE on who's side i'm taking. My point was simple yet you continuously make it out to be more than it is. 400K = enough to live on. That's my point. That's it. That's all. Nothing more. Nothing less. End of story. If you feel they are still being screwed, go have that conversation with someone who cares, because I never have and i've done my best to make that very apparent. Hopefully this has made that clear for you.

Who cares? So their playing career is done when they are 30...get a job! In MOST cases, almost all these players get scholarships in the first place. They've gotten opportunities BEFORE they step onto an NBA floor that some people can only dream about. If they are too stuck up to get a job, I'm sorry, but I can't feel sorry for them. And I can't pretend to either.

I'm sorry..but 400K a year and the term "financial hardships" don't belong in the same sentence. Live in a reasonable sized house, buy and prepare your own food, &**& your wife instead of the prostitute you found on the street, drive a normal everyday car...there should be ZERO problems.

llemon
09-20-2011, 09:31 PM

A very well thought out and understanding post.

I only mention that because posts that fall into that category seem to more and rare, a fact that (to some of us) is soul-crushing and depressing.

I'll stop at that, so as to not risk the consequences.

Bruno
09-20-2011, 09:40 PM
For me it's less about feeling sorry for anyone and more matter if the system works, and if it structurally fair to both sides. Like any good compromise I hope both sides walk away slightly disappointed and that we get a 2012 season.

sep11ie
09-20-2011, 09:57 PM
If I can afford a personal trainer and health insurance at my salary I know ANYBODY whom is not a complete ****ing moron can do it on 470,000 bucks a year. Don't give me that crap. I have a savings account, a truck, a bike, and a 1200 dollar a month rent by myself. C'mon now. Give 400,000+ a year and see how I'm doing 25 years.

jetsfan28
09-20-2011, 10:01 PM
If I can afford a personal trainer and health insurance at my salary I know ANYBODY whom is not a complete ****ing moron can do it on 470,000 bucks a year. Don't give me that crap. I have a savings account, a truck, a bike, and a 1200 dollar a month rent by myself. C'mon now. Give 400,000+ a year and see how I'm doing 25 years.

That's great. It's also completely irrelevant since these guys are locked out and are making 0 dollars now and for the foreseeable future, which is what this thread is about. Some of them have 0-3 years of that salary and nothing more for the foreseeable future. And the 25 years in general is laughable, since most of these guys see the end of their career, after which they really haven't been trained for anything else, in 10 years or less.

And the idea that your health insurance (many of these guys have significant prior injuries that won't be favorable to their rates, and, again, need insurance for their whole family) and a trainer for you (I doubt you're training to be an NBA caliber athlete) are the same as they are for these players.

bmd1101
09-20-2011, 10:26 PM

silly.

I think its hard to feel sympathy for you on how easily you are swayed by obvious owners propaganda.

MrfadeawayJB
09-20-2011, 10:45 PM
I dont think this is a real good idea. Kobe might not get his money back lol.

NBA_Starter
09-20-2011, 10:47 PM
What a Great guy

whitemamba33
09-21-2011, 01:09 AM
I think its hard to feel sympathy for you on how easily you are swayed by obvious owners propaganda.

Let's not make so many ASSumptions.

I haven't discussed the actual issues of the lockout AT ALL. Not once. Why? Because I don't even follow them. I have zero interest in them. Check my posting history.

I don't know what the players are saying, and I don't know what the owners are saying. And I didn't come to this thread to discuss any of that. Nothing I have said has reflected the owners. I'm not saying the players should get more or less money. I'm just saying they get enough money to live a reasonable lifestyle. If you had put a second of thought into your post before typing it out, you would have understood that. If you can't live off 400K a year..than that is something to discuss. But I never intended to discuss the lockout issues.

whitemamba33
09-21-2011, 01:13 AM
That's great. It's also completely irrelevant since these guys are locked out and are making 0 dollars now and for the foreseeable future, which is what this thread is about. Some of them have 0-3 years of that salary and nothing more for the foreseeable future. And the 25 years in general is laughable, since most of these guys see the end of their career, after which they really haven't been trained for anything else, in 10 years or less.

And the idea that your health insurance (many of these guys have significant prior injuries that won't be favorable to their rates, and, again, need insurance for their whole family) and a trainer for you (I doubt you're training to be an NBA caliber athlete) are the same as they are for these players.

lol ok you win...

I now feel sympathy for all 1-3 year players that live in New York, have an agent, have a family, need to train all day and every day just to keep up to everyone else, AND have recently torn their ACL's and require surgery.

Everyone else: different story.

likemystylez
09-21-2011, 09:54 AM
I dont think this is a real good idea. Kobe might not get his money back lol.

i dont think this is a good idea, because it could prolong the lock out. LOL lending money to a group of guys that just made on average 5 million last year. This is ridiculous, with so many real people struggling out of work this year... who make average salaries of 35-100 grand a year. I'm not one to sit and complain that players make too much money because I honestly do feel that if someone is willing to pay them, then they should make as much as legally possible. They are earning it honestly, and they are making billionaires richer every year.

Having said that- I dont have a problem with how much they make... but having articles about loans for these guys struggling to make it after they stop getting their 200,000.00 bi weekly pay checks. Its just a little bit inconsiderate, and will not put a lot of the public on the players side. LOL- Why not just open a soup kitchen for the guy that has made 12 million in the last 3 yrs?....or have a food/ clothing drive.

ShakeN'Bake
09-21-2011, 10:05 AM

haha I know you were serious but saying as little as then 2 million cracked me up.

likemystylez
09-21-2011, 10:18 AM
haha I know you were serious but saying as little as then 2 million cracked me up.

LOL serious. Cant find a way to support yourself for a few extra months on the 2 million youve made last couple years?

There are people who make"as little as slightly over 2 million" over the span of decades while supporting a family... and they wouldnt need to borrow money immediately after they stopped getting paid.

Pierzynski4Prez
09-21-2011, 10:28 AM

I've made roughly (insert medium-income salary) over the last 3 years of service, and if I were to lose my job, I still wouldn't need to borrow money from others. I would still be able to provide my family with health insurance without dipping into my 401k. Granted after about 6 months I would start to get nervous.

Just saying, when you are defending someone for being broke, in your 1st sentence don't talk about how they made 2 million over the last 3 years. I know they don't get 2 million, but I didn't get a full (insert medium-income salary) over the last 3 years either and I get by.

likemystylez
09-21-2011, 10:55 AM
I've made roughly (insert medium-income salary) over the last 3 years of service, and if I were to lose my job, I still wouldn't need to borrow money from others. I would still be able to provide my family with health insurance without dipping into my 401k. Granted after about 6 months I would start to get nervous.

Just saying, when you are defending someone for being broke, in your 1st sentence don't talk about how they made 2 million over the last 3 years. I know they don't get 2 million, but I didn't get a full (insert medium-income salary) over the last 3 years either and I get by.

LOL and to top it off, it doesnt appear as though the players are in this horrible situation where they are suffering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZYyeNEytB4

Yeah- it looks like these guys are in the middle of a crisis.

shep33
09-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Kobe Bryant's new nickname: The Godfather or else Teddy KGB

Shmontaine
09-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Worst move Kobe/LB could EVER DO.... also, LOL thread...

Funny how people chastise the owners for not being able to manage their money and causing this lockout, yet when it's the players, who are millionaires - Every one of them, who can't manage their money and need a handout, they somehow deserve a pass... okay.... why don't the players 'take care of their own house'??

if i'm not wrong, the owners aren't getting paid either during this lockout, so who's going to pay their high bills... 400 million minus taxes is really closer to 200 million, add to it their expensive life insurance and cost of living, that can go pretty quick....

:rolleyes:

with my addition to this ridiculous thread being said, Kobe & LB & co are just going to go 'broke' that much faster when these players don't repay the money.... i mean, how could they?? they're living paycheck to paycheck as it is, so how can they afford an loan repayment plan??? Just a dumb move IMO...

koLohe2133
09-21-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm really surprised other companies are stepping up.

If I was Nike, or reebok, or adidas(I forgot who owns who) I'd be having clinics or exhibitions or at least shooting mad commercials with all the down time the players have. Not too mention coke, Gatorade, pepsi, slim jims, uggs, etc.

Shoot, if I was like cal worthington of worthington ford I'd get all kinds of players in my commercials.

Seriously, should players have budgeted better? Yes. Is it the right move by Kobe, Lebron, and others (I hope for Joe johnson's conscience he is pitching in too...) to help out their fellow union members? Of course.

To me, it comes down to this: when you sign someone to a contract, you are taking a risk....many risks actually. Will he get hurt in his first game and end his career? Will he be accused of rape/assault/shooting/insert serious crime here and miss time due to that? Will he underperform? Anybody who sides with the owners, I hope your bosses start cutting your salary and see how you like it.

Is Rasheed lewis supposed to turn down $80 million? And say Ahhh shucks I'm only worth $50? Would you?

This is the owners mess. The players show up and gave the NBA one of it's greatest seasons EVER. they did their job.

Shmontaine
09-21-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm really surprised other companies are stepping up.

If I was Nike, or reebok, or adidas(I forgot who owns who) I'd be having clinics or exhibitions or at least shooting mad commercials with all the down time the players have. Not too mention coke, Gatorade, pepsi, slim jims, uggs, etc.

the owners are billionaires, and companies aren't going to go against them... plain and simple... why do think espn and other networks aren't televising the rec games??

Shoot, if I was like cal worthington of worthington ford I'd get all kinds of players in my commercials.

Seriously, should players have budgeted better? Yes. Is it the right move by Kobe, Lebron, and others (I hope for Joe johnson's conscience he is pitching in too...) to help out their fellow union members? Of course.

To me, it comes down to this: when you sign someone to a contract, you are taking a risk....many risks actually. Will he get hurt in his first game and end his career? Will he be accused of rape/assault/shooting/insert serious crime here and miss time due to that? Will he underperform? Anybody who sides with the owners, I hope your bosses start cutting your salary and see how you like it.

Is Rasheed lewis supposed to turn down $80 million? And say Ahhh shucks I'm only worth $50? Would you?

This is the owners mess. The players show up and gave the NBA one of it's greatest seasons EVER. they did their job.

OIC, so the players 'should've budgeted better', but it's 'the owners mess'... got it, double standards... Why don't you say the owners 'should've budgeted better' and 'of course' the system should be reworked???

Are you saying Rashard Lewis did his job, and earned his pay?? the dude took PED's and since he's been caught, he's been pretty terrible with respect to his max deal he signed the year after his PED usage... is that 'doing your job'???

koLohe2133
09-21-2011, 01:15 PM
If someone offered me above what I'm worth I'm not turning it down.

And I'm not saying they should go against the NBA....I'm saying now is a prime opportunity for these companies to take advantage
Of their spokesmen's ample amount of free time.

This is the owners mess. Don't be mad at the players because you gave eddy curry $50 million dollars.

Last I checked America was a capitalistic country.

If fans of the horrible raptors said oh you know what? I wanna go to your games sooo much I'm gonna pay you $100 for this $30 seat, do you think the owners wouldnt take it?

Punk
09-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Like a boss.

justinnum1
09-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Rookies agents will loan them money

Shmontaine
09-21-2011, 02:28 PM
wow, so much to disagree with...

If someone offered me above what I'm worth I'm not turning it down.

that doesn't mean your doing your job, and it doesn't mean that it's a solid business model that can be profitable... which is to whole idea of the new CBA...

And I'm not saying they should go against the NBA....I'm saying now is a prime opportunity for these companies to take advantage
Of their spokesmen's ample amount of free time.

by giving players an option that allows them to not go back to the NBA asap, is going against the nba owners... sorry if you don't see that...

This is the owners mess. Don't be mad at the players because you gave eddy curry $50 million dollars.

who's mad at the players??? not me... the owners messed up to THE BENEFIT OF THE PLAYERS!! don't you get that?? the players have had it extremely good for too long, and the owners are trying to rein in the out of control pay scales...

If you're suggesting the teams collude with each other to set prices for all players so that no team overpays, that's illegal. how would YOU fix the overpaying problem in the nba without reworking the CBA??

Last I checked America was a capitalistic country.

If fans of the horrible raptors said oh you know what? I wanna go to your games sooo much I'm gonna pay you $100 for this $30 seat, do you think the owners wouldnt take it?

the raptors made money last year, so i would pick a different team for your example, but anyways... your example is flawed on many levels..

first, the owners set prices at the beginning of the year and they can't raise them based on demand... ever hear of this this called stubhub??... $30 seats go for $100+ all the time...

second, this isn't a single seat to a single game... these are fully guaranteed yearly salaries, not based on results or even on participation... for owners to be forced to overpay medium talent just to keep them from 'contending' teams and maintain some sort of relevancy is the problem...

third, you talk of capitalism... the owners OWN THE TEAM... They're privately owned (minus NOLA) and if they want to restructure their own company, it's their right...

sep11ie
09-21-2011, 02:29 PM

I can tell you side with the players. You are really stretching on all of your points. No **** I'm not training to be a NBA player, most of these guys you are talking about don't have their own families yet either. How can you tell me they haven't been trained for anything else either. That's what college is for, right? If they didn't learn economics and money management then that's nobody else's fault but themselves.

JJ_JKidd
09-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Interesting.

http://i.imgur.com/PQHsy.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Kobe-Bryant-is-prepared-to-loan-players-money-du?urn=nba-wp8558

Kobe is going to start taxing these young NBA players. :laugh:

I hope that the money loaned will be used for productive purposes

likemystylez
09-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Im hoping that this was more of a publicity move by Kobe Bryant for the owners to see and take note of. Kobe is one of the wealthiest players in the league and he is also a face that basically all fans know. If him and other big name players go on record saying that they are going to look out for the lesser income players....

maybe just maybe some of the owners will start to think .... OK if these guys are gonna be supported by Kobe and lebron, and whoever else joins the cause they can probably go another 4 or 5 months..... Being a big market team... i dont want to wait this thing out if its gonna be all season, lets figure this thing out asap.

Im not saying its going to work, but in a war where the players have almost no leverage... its a valid effort. Im not sure there is any other point in making it public knowledge who is lending money out and whatnot.