PDA

View Full Version : Rashad McCants will only return to the NBA if he can play with Kobe

Fresno
09-19-2011, 03:07 AM
McCants said he is not eagerly pursuing a second chance, and that his previous struggles were a byproduct of playing for two downtrodden teams with unstable coaching situations. McCants believes neither Minnesota nor Sacramento offered him an atmosphere in which to succeed.

“I never got a chance to show my true ability, period,’’ said McCants, who started just 39 games in four NBA seasons. “But it’s understandable when it looks like ‘he’s OK and he’s playing for two of the worst teams in the league.’

“The two worst teams in the league I played on in my whole career, and I was the bad guy because I was the only one who cared about winning. I had the attitude. I was the only one mad about losing every game by 30.’’

“The only way I would come back to the league is if I get to play with Kobe Bryant,’’ he said. “There’s nobody who thinks like me but Kobe Bryant. I just get criticized for what he used to get criticized for because I tried to establish myself the same way he did.

“I was just on a bad team.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2011/09/18/hint_of_good_vibrations_comes_out_of_labor_talks/?page=3

A lot of interesting quotes from him in this article.

From one standpoint I'd say hes delusional, but from another standpoint I've always liked his game and did feel he didnt get a fair shake in the NBA. Vilified for being a ballhog as a mere role player, but the only guy on a losing team who is willing to go out there and put a team on his back.

There is 0 doubt in my mind that McCants is good enough to be in a NBA rotation, not just an end of the bench player.

Lakers could use a backup SG with Brown gone.

asandhu23
09-19-2011, 03:17 AM
Maybe he knows Kobe will be handed another championship this year and he wants to be a part of it.

hgtiger32
09-19-2011, 03:51 AM
okay. so the best player from that NC team was felton?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-19-2011, 04:36 AM
Maybe he knows Kobe will be handed another championship this year and he wants to be a part of it.

:laugh2::rolleyes:

NihonJinDesu
09-19-2011, 05:38 AM
Not if Khloe Khardashian has anything to say about it lol

naps
09-19-2011, 06:13 AM
Is he in some hotel in Colorado now?

;)

3ballbomber
09-19-2011, 06:13 AM
what a strange thing to say.

Anilyzer
09-19-2011, 07:08 AM
He just uses Kobe as an example because it's a cliche.

Kobe is a fierce, determined competitor.

Bill Gates is rich.

Albert Einstein was smart.

Marilyn Monroe was sexy.

Naomi Campbell is a supermodel.

Picasso was an artist.

etc etc

topdog
09-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Didn't get a chance? How many times did I see McCants come off the bench for 30 minutes of jacking up shots, standing around to see them rattle out and be too small and disinterested to play decent defense? TOO MANY!

Now, watch McCants at shootaround and you'll see he's a good shooter when there's no defense, but that's it.

ManningToTyree
09-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Enjoy retirement!

PurpleJesus
09-19-2011, 10:11 AM
For McCants style of play, Minnesota and Sacramento were perfect for him...On teams like that, that needed talent, he could play multiple minutes (which he did in Minnesota, and could have if he deserved them in Sacramento)...I'm pretty sure he would accept on offer from any team if given the chance though, not just the Lakers. He had/has a lot of talent, but at the age of 27, he is quickly losing that "potential" tag.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Lol yeah since the entire league is awaiting the return of the Legendary Rashad McCants

Fresno
09-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Didn't get a chance? How many times did I see McCants come off the bench for 30 minutes of jacking up shots, standing around to see them rattle out and be too small and disinterested to play decent defense? TOO MANY!

Now, watch McCants at shootaround and you'll see he's a good shooter when there's no defense, but that's it.

That was basically his role. He also shot efficiently, outside of the start of his last season in Minnesots.

MrfadeawayJB
09-19-2011, 01:05 PM
I guess he can enjoy the D-league

Sadds The Gr8
09-19-2011, 01:09 PM
this.

Geargo Wallace
09-19-2011, 01:19 PM
So he wants to join the Lakers so he'll have no way of jacking up a million shots a game? Kobe is there for that.

GREATNESS ONE
09-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Maybe he knows Kobe will be winning another championship this year and he wants to be a part of it.

:nod:

Hawkeye15
09-19-2011, 02:03 PM
are you ****ing kidding me Rashad? You couldn't even break the rotation and get a lot of minutes on terrible teams, doesn't that tell you something?

I for one don't miss watching him come down, dribble around for 13 seconds, ignoring all his teammates, hitting a tough fall away after 5 previous misses, and then celebrating like he just hit the game winner in a game 7 while his man gets a wide open layup on the other end in a 30 point blowout.

Waste of talent. Pure definition.

thedfactor
09-19-2011, 03:07 PM
So many team didn't and don't want him. He acts as if it's in his control. Stop being a ***** and just take the opportunity given to you.

He has a great shot and some nice athletic ability but you need a good head on your shoulders as well to make the best out of any situation

8kobe24
09-19-2011, 04:48 PM
No thanks. He's had his chance. He can go play in china.

rhymeratic
09-19-2011, 05:00 PM
MY answer to Mr. Rashard McCants is this...

Two teams invested in you to be able to turn things around for them. YOU had the opportunity to grab life by the horns and make those teams YOUR team to run and be THE MAN.

You've proven to everyone that you didn't have enough ability to do so. On top of all of that you had a bad attitude from ALL THE RUMORS around the NBA. You're no different than Gerald Green in my opinion and deserved everything you got to date. That's the reason why you're not in the pro's...

You're an undersized SG who doesn't score enough to merit holding down a significant roster spot.

Had we erased your name from the quotes and put Vince Carter in front of it... I'd almost buy into it... but coming from YOU of all people... REALLY?!?!?!

There's a reason why Randy Foye still gets burn and you don't...

Sad but true in that Ray Felton best tarheel of late...

Marvin Williams = Serviceable
Sean May = Scrub
Ty Lawson = Decent with potential
Brandan Wright = Scrub
Ed Davis = Average
Wayne Ellington = Scrub
Tyler Hansbrough = Serviceable
Jawad Williams= Scrub
Danny Green = Scrub
David Noel = Scrub

Lots of scrubs coming out of UNC... to argue against such = FAIL

And I know for a fact pro-players be reading PSD so feel free to put Mr. McCants on to this thread and MY POST to let HIM know he needs to get it together!

Gram
09-19-2011, 11:05 PM
lol wow.

beasted86
09-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Larry Hughes minus the defense.

Doesn't know a bad shot from a terrible shot.

SeoulBeatz
09-19-2011, 11:34 PM

handed?

Kobe is the hardest working player in the NBA, he pisses me off as a person, but I always say that he's the closest thing to MJ.

He plays the game to perfection on both sides of the ball, I can't hate on players who are great through hard work.

Fresno
09-19-2011, 11:42 PM
MY answer to Mr. Rashard McCants is this...

Two teams invested in you to be able to turn things around for them. YOU had the opportunity to grab life by the horns and make those teams YOUR team to run and be THE MAN.

You've proven to everyone that you didn't have enough ability to do so. On top of all of that you had a bad attitude from ALL THE RUMORS around the NBA. You're no different than Gerald Green in my opinion and deserved everything you got to date. That's the reason why you're not in the pro's...

You're an undersized SG who doesn't score enough to merit holding down a significant roster spot.

Had we erased your name from the quotes and put Vince Carter in front of it... I'd almost buy into it... but coming from YOU of all people... REALLY?!?!?!

There's a reason why Randy Foye still gets burn and you don't...

Sad but true in that Ray Felton best tarheel of late...

Marvin Williams = Serviceable
Sean May = Scrub
Ty Lawson = Decent with potential
Brandan Wright = Scrub
Ed Davis = Average
Wayne Ellington = Scrub
Tyler Hansbrough = Serviceable
Jawad Williams= Scrub
Danny Green = Scrub
David Noel = Scrub

Lots of scrubs coming out of UNC... to argue against such = FAIL

And I know for a fact pro-players be reading PSD so feel free to put Mr. McCants on to this thread and MY POST to let HIM know he needs to get it together!

Are you kidding me?

Please dont get me started on Duke over this past decade, compared to UNC, they are even worse.

MU and UW Fan
09-19-2011, 11:42 PM
I loved McCants at UNC and he had all the talent in the world. I thought he would end up being an undersized SG who would be the 6th or 7th man on a team that could provide a scoring spark off the bench and average anywhere between 10-12 ppg. Boy was I wrong.

Fresno
09-19-2011, 11:47 PM
I loved McCants at UNC and he had all the talent in the world. I thought he would end up being an undersized SG who would be the 6th or 7th man on a team that could provide a scoring spark off the bench and average anywhere between 10-12 ppg. Boy was I wrong.

Actually he did, and still can do that in the NBA. The problem, as pointed out by McCants himself is that his game is associated with a negative reputation for being selfish.

beasted86
09-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Are you kidding me?

Please dont get me started on Duke over this past decade, compared to UNC, they are even worse.

What?
They don't even compare. Here's the list of all players drafted in the past 10 years out of Duke: http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.cgi?college=duke

Kyrie Irving: Hasn't played
Nolan Smith: Hasn't played
Kyle Singler: Hasn't played

Gerald Henderson: Serviceable backup
Josh McRoberts: Serviceable backup
Shelden Williams: Serviceable backup
JJ Reddick: Solid rotation player
Daniel Ewing: Scrub
Chris Duhon: weaker 2nd or 3rd string PG
Luol Deng: Top 10 SF
Dahntay Jones: serviceable backup
Jay Williams: Injury bust
Mike Dunleavy Jr: Solid rotation player,
Carlos Boozer: Top 10 PF
Shane Battier: Solid rotation player
Corey Maggette: Solid rotation player

1 scrub in 10 years? whether 1st or 2nd round? I'd take that. All other players disregarding whether they were worth drafting too high or whatever else... Duke has produced NBA players who can survive past a rookie contract.

Fresno
09-20-2011, 12:20 AM
What?
They don't even compare. Here's the list of all players drafted in the past 10 years out of Duke: http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.cgi?college=duke

Kyrie Irving: Hasn't played
Nolan Smith: Hasn't played
Kyle Singler: Hasn't played

Gerald Henderson: Serviceable backup
Josh McRoberts: Serviceable backup
Shelden Williams: Serviceable backup
JJ Reddick: Solid rotation player
Daniel Ewing: Scrub
Chris Duhon: weaker 2nd or 3rd string PG
Luol Deng: Top 10 SF
Dahntay Jones: serviceable backup
Jay Williams: Injury bust
Mike Dunleavy Jr: Solid rotation player,
Carlos Boozer: Top 10 PF
Shane Battier: Solid rotation player
Corey Maggette: Solid rotation player

1 scrub in 10 years? whether 1st or 2nd round? I'd take that. All other players disregarding whether they were worth drafting too high or whatever else... Duke has produced NBA players who can survive past a rookie contract.

Wow you're really digging into the books if we have to go back 9 or 10 years just to prove a point about Duke basketball. I left myself open to a retort mentioning those exact players when I said last decade, instead of pointing out since their 2000-2001 National Championship.

Also Maggette btw played for Duke in the 90's.

So Duke hasnt produced 1 "good" NBA player since Luol Deng, a 1 & Done from the Class of 2003? Yet someone wants to bash UNC when they're actually getting their players to the NBA. 2 Top 10 Picks next season to go along with 3 other 1st Rd picks and they're poised for another championship.

Fresno
09-20-2011, 12:25 AM
Since we're running to Basketball Reference, go check out StatSheet and see how many Duke players were McDonalds All Americans in the last 10 years only to be average players at Duke.

Now compare that to UNC's track record this decade.

UNC rarely bombs on recruits. Thats why they've brought 2 Titles to the Dean Center in the last 6 years and will bring the 3rd next season.

Oh wait, did you know how many Duke players under Coach K have won a NBA Championship? I'll let you take some time to let that one marinate.

beasted86
09-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Wow you're really digging into the books if we have to go back 9 or 10 years just to prove a point about Duke basketball. I left myself open to a retort mentioning those exact players when I said last decade, instead of pointing out since their 2000-2001 National Championship.

Also Maggette btw played for Duke in the 90's.

So Duke hasnt produced 1 "good" NBA player since Luol Deng, a 1 & Done from the Class of 2003? Yet someone wants to bash UNC when they're actually getting their players to the NBA. 2 Top 10 Picks next season to go along with 3 other 1st Rd picks and they're poised for another championship.

You're not making much sense to me. UNC is producing players who are out of the league in shorter time, or just plain lower tier players.

Pretty much all of the players I just mentioned are NBA players who will continue playing. Aside from that, you bash on Duke for producing 1 "good" player, but I wouldn't even call Felton that, and he's the best out the last decade.

Fresno
09-20-2011, 12:55 AM
You're not making much sense to me. UNC is producing players who are out of the league in shorter time, or just plain lower tier players.

Pretty much all of the players I just mentioned are NBA players who will continue playing. Aside from that, you bash on Duke for producing 1 "good" player, but I wouldn't even call Felton that, and he's the best out the last decade.

Because its irrelevant that Matt Doherty almost ran the program into the ground in the early 00's? North Carolina didnt get back on track until Roy Williams took over.

Its a stretch to say any of those Duke players you named are on a higher tier than the North Carolina players.

Shelden Williams a serviceable backup? Really? Dahntay Jones in 2011 not 2008? Really?

Most players draft stocks drop once they go to Duke. Whether its due to poor showcasing of talent or the fact that Coach K sticks to the old school method of trusting the upperclassmen. At UNC you can argue that for every player who has come here since Roy Williams took over got better and has been better prepped for the next level.

beasted86
09-20-2011, 01:12 AM
Because its irrelevant that Matt Doherty almost ran the program into the ground in the early 00's? North Carolina didnt get back on track until Roy Williams took over.

Its a stretch to say any of those Duke players you named are on a higher tier than the North Carolina players.

Shelden Williams a serviceable backup? Really? Dahntay Jones in 2011 not 2008? Really?

Most players draft stocks drop once they go to Duke. Whether its due to poor showcasing of talent or the fact that Coach K sticks to the old school method of trusting the upperclassmen. At UNC you can argue that for every player who has come here since Roy Williams took over got better and has been better prepped for the next level.
Still not making sense. Felton the best player out of UNC in the last 10 years wasn't even recruited by Roy Williams. He was there before him. So even since 2003, you are comparing what... Ty Lawson as the best UNC player to Luol Deng? Marvin Williams as 2nd best to JJ Reddick?

Dahntay Jones who you laugh at was a bench rotation player on the Pacers who made the playoffs this year. His playoff numbers were 8.7 PPG on 45% FG. I don't know about you, but I call that serviceable.

Players' draft stock from Duke is lowered somewhat because college basketball is a coach's game, not a players game like the NBA. Coach K is a great coach and non-NBA tier players can look good. That's why Jon Scheyer can lead the team in scoring on way to a championship and not get drafted. He just wasn't NBA material regardless of playing for Duke or UNC or any other team. Many of Coach K's recruits fit the same mold of fundamentally sound unathletic players.

Kyle N.
09-20-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm not saying he sucks or anything, but just because he hates losing doesn't mean he's really helping his team win. And McCants is better than Shelden Williams. Everybody is better than Shelden Williams.

cbreezy34
09-20-2011, 01:24 AM
Wait but Harrison Barnes was supposed to the next Kobe Bryant coming out of high school and was the number 1 rated high school player by every scouting service. Kyrie Irving on the other hand was the number 2 rated PG in some cases behind Branden Knight. Kyrie Irving was just the number 1 pick in the NBA draft while Harrison Barnes goes back to college. If Barnes did the same thing at Duke everyone would say Coach K hurt his progress since arriving to the college game.

cbreezy34
09-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Roy Williams is an inept coach and even managed to make Harrison Barnes look average for the first half of the season. Roy Williams has no system.

lakerboy
09-20-2011, 12:30 PM
That is so messed up, he is Khloe's ex and all hell with break lose in LA if he comes.

rhymeratic
09-20-2011, 03:32 PM
That's how lame this dude McCants is... his own thread has turned into UNC vs Duke and he's a NON-FACTOR in the argument. LOL

greg_ory_2005
09-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Sean Mayne is the only one that can make this sucka look good. Kobe can't help him.

LosDoyers1
09-21-2011, 01:10 AM
That is so messed up, he is Khloe's ex and all hell with break lose in LA if he comes.

That's a very good point. I side with this argument.

LakersMaster24
09-21-2011, 03:32 AM
No way him and Lamar will share the same locker room.

"Oh, Hey Lamar...so I've been banging your wife before you"

Fresno
12-06-2011, 07:57 PM
He got his chance.

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/12/rashad-mccants-works-out-at-lakers-facility.html

RevisIsland
12-06-2011, 08:11 PM
I really could not possibly care less about this.

Hawkeye15
12-06-2011, 08:14 PM
would love it if he signed there. Have fun watching him hit a pull up 18 footer, after missing his previous 3 shots, and then be so busy pounding his chest, his man gets a layup on the other end.

Go away McCants. You are a waste of talent.

TylerSL
12-06-2011, 09:56 PM
who is Rashad McCants?

lakersrock
12-06-2011, 10:15 PM
If he'd sign for the bare minimum, bring him on. We need someone to backup Kobe.

ManRam
12-06-2011, 10:18 PM
LOL. Even Rashad McCants is making demands in regards to where and where he won't play. Oh NBA...

phoenix_bladen
12-06-2011, 10:21 PM
who the hell is he?

KB-Pau-DH2012
12-06-2011, 10:24 PM
I guess he can be a body the Lakers can use during training camp. At least that way, he can be given the opportunity to make the roster as the 14th or 15th man. But not expecting much from him tbh.

ManRam
12-06-2011, 10:26 PM
I remember when I thought McCants was gonna be a star. Loved him, Felton and May at UNC. Amazing how huge of busts May and McCants were...

Wade>You
12-06-2011, 11:00 PM
lol @ Rashad McCants only because the thread title makes it seem like team's are coveting him and no one can have him. After reading his quotes, he's gonna have a hard time landing a job on the Lakers, unless they're genuinely interested.

futureman
12-07-2011, 12:04 AM
So all of the sudden this bum thinks he's too good for the NBA? What a joke and what a bust.

TylerSL
12-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Seriously, who is Rashad McCants? Why is this news?

OA SLAY
12-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Enjoy retirement!

funny as hell! Hes got a point but this guys straight doookie.

jrm2054
12-07-2011, 12:51 AM
what makes him think he can say i want to play with Kobe he has no leverage

Corey
12-07-2011, 12:58 AM
I'd give him a camp invite :shrug:

AI4MVP
12-07-2011, 01:10 AM
kinda creepy...

PurpleJesus
12-07-2011, 01:25 AM
so much talent...so dammed arrogant and useless.

Maybe he is showing some maturity by saying he will play as a backup for the Lakers though? I could see him becoming come back player of the year, if he stops celebrating every jumper he makes.