PDA

View Full Version : Crazy solution to the Cardinals-Pujols saga?

rkelly7
09-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Ok, so try to keep an open mind on this one...

But what if, the Cardinals decide to let Pujols walk, and then go sign Prince Fielder? Now before any trolls start scolding me for even comparing the two, hear me out.

Obviously, Pujols is the better player, but Fielder is only 27 years old and Pujols is 3-4 years older, with reports saying he could be even older than that. Pujols could be 35 or 36 for all we know.

Fielder is younger and cheaper, and IMO is a lower risk than signing Pujols long term.

Now I know Fielder is not on the same level of Pujols, but he is still one of the biggest threats in MLB and would make the sting of losing Pujols hurt a little less.

I would personally rather have a 27 y.o. 1B that is a tier lower than an elite 1B who is at least 32.

Just a thought...

Jeffy25
09-18-2011, 03:41 PM
A few things to answer

1. Pujols is the fan favorite, he is our generations Stan Musial in St. Louis. Prince has no appeal to the fans, if Pujols walks, Berkman will be playing first base next season
2. The Cardinals haven't signed an external player for even a two year deal since Reggie Sanders in the 03-04 off-season, and that was exactly a 2 year deal. They don't sign guys to longer than one year deals until that player has been a member of the organization already.
3. The Cardinals overall are against massive contracts that extend over many years. Holliday was an exception, but a welcomed exception. Pujols would be another, they wouldn't be willing to make that exception for another player
4. Fielder isn't going to get paid that much less than Pujols anyway.
5. I am willing to bet that in four years from now Pujols is still better than Fielder. If he ages anything like his father, he isn't likely to be very productive half a decade from now. If Pujols can decline at the typical hall of fame caliber player rate (Griffey, Aaron, Mays, Killebrew, Schmidt, etc) around age 35 before his production starts to really drop, he is likely to remain the superior player throughout that time period.

Basically, the Cardinals are only willing to spend this kind of money, or even come close to it because it's Pujols, our hometown hall of famer. They wouldn't be willing to make that sort of commitment to an external player, and honestly, it would be really stupid to do so.

Even as a Cardinals fan, I'm not dead set on the idea of locking up Pujols, because he certainly isn't going to be worth his contract in full over the course of the deal. I'm calling this extension the Pujols tax. That we have made so much money on his success thus far that we are willing to overpay him today.

Not only is this not going to happen, but I sure as hell wouldn't want it to happen.

sexicano31
09-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Pujols for Ryan Howard and 2 specs. Done and done

idrinkpepsi
09-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Pujols for Ryan Howard and 2 specs. Done and done

And take on that horrible contract? The Cardinals aren't idiots

sexicano31
09-18-2011, 04:51 PM
True. Probably should have jumped in before the Jays traded Wells to LA. Angels would have LOVED Howard I bet

Toxeryll
09-18-2011, 04:58 PM
True. Probably should have jumped in before the Jays traded Wells to LA. Angels would have LOVED Howard I bet

AngeLOLs

es0terik
09-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Re-sign Pujols so we can take Berkman as our DH.

Fred
09-18-2011, 05:02 PM
since this is a crazyass thread, how about StL can't sign Pujols, and he signs as a FA to play 3B for the Phillies, of course pushing their payroll close to $200M (yankee-like)....do it ruben, do it....Polanco is the super-sub and spells SS, 3B and 2B throughout the season...

sexicano31
09-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Pujols needs TJ before playing anyplace but 1b

hgtiger32
09-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Have you seen Fielder try to throw a baseball and field a ground ball? Not a good sight to see

Fred
09-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Pujols needs TJ before playing anyplace but 1b

haha.....agreed, or DH....I was joking.....

Bombtista
09-18-2011, 05:30 PM
If youre going to throw money at Fielder to get him signed why not just do that to Pujols who is the better player?

Pujols will get more money in all likelihood but if your going to overpay you should get the better player too.

mtf
09-18-2011, 05:33 PM
What's this craziness about speculating that Pujols is older than he claims he is. When did that start?

StayOnBoard
09-18-2011, 05:45 PM
If youre going to throw money at Fielder to get him signed why not just do that to Pujols who is the better player?

Pujols will get more money in all likelihood but if your going to overpay you should get the better player too.

I agree

GoatMilk
09-18-2011, 06:37 PM
i think the brewers are going to sign Pena if Pujols or Prince goes to the Cubs

"Ace"ves
09-18-2011, 07:40 PM
this is a crazy solution :)

TrueYankee
09-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Pujols is a legend, fan favorite, first ballot Hall of Famer, a class act, and just a great person to have in the club house. Those characteristics alone is what appeals teams to Pujols, not just his game.

In the end, I think Pujols either re-signs with Cardinals or plays elsewhere in the NL. Dont really see him signing in the AL somewhere.

revsolly
09-18-2011, 10:24 PM
What's this craziness about speculating that Pujols is older than he claims he is. When did that start?

There has been some speculation about that for years. it started several years ago, when some Hispanic players were found to be older than thought. I don't subscribe to it, but that is what it is about.

todu82
09-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Pujols is staying in St.Louis. They'll find a way to get a deal done.

ShockerArt
09-19-2011, 12:43 PM
5. I am willing to bet that in four years from now Pujols is still better than Fielder. If he ages anything like his father, he isn't likely to be very productive half a decade from now. If Pujols can decline at the typical hall of fame caliber player rate (Griffey, Aaron, Mays, Killebrew, Schmidt, etc) around age 35 before his production starts to really drop, he is likely to remain the superior player throughout that time period.

I was thinking this too

Zaunnie
09-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Both are going to the Yankees to make the best mother****ing team ever.

America **** yeah!

Randy Marsh
09-19-2011, 07:31 PM
I would much rather have Fielder on my team after this season and at this point in their careers.

"Ace"ves
09-19-2011, 08:47 PM
I would much rather have Fielder on my team after this season and at this point in their careers.

because of the $$ right??

I mean, if Boston didn't have a great 1B in Gonzalez, then Pujols over Fielder. I can see how defense becomes less relevant when your 1B is occupied.

Randy Marsh
09-19-2011, 09:04 PM
because of the $$ right??

I mean, if Boston didn't have a great 1B in Gonzalez, then Pujols over Fielder. I can see how defense becomes less relevant when your 1B is occupied.

What are you talking about? Never once did I mention that I was talking about the Red Sox. I think that Fielder would be the better choice for ANY (key word) team since he would be a lot cheaper, is younger, and has proved to be just as good a hitter. His defense is his only weekness.

sexicano31
09-19-2011, 09:19 PM
What are you talking about? Never once did I mention that I was talking about the Red Sox. I think that Fielder would be the better choice for ANY (key word) team since he would be a lot cheaper, is younger, and has proved to be just as good a hitter. His defense is his only weekness.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Ace"ves
09-19-2011, 09:47 PM

based off your avatar, im guessing your team is the Red Sox

you didn't say any before, that's why i assumed your team meant Red Sox.

His weakness is defense, but Pujols is the better overall hitter than Fielder. Now if you are talking contract wise, 10-year deal for Fielder makes more sense than 10-year deal for Pujols (for money and years)

Bos_Sports4Life
09-20-2011, 01:57 AM
As a sox fan id rather have fielder since the sox have a gg 1b already and fielder is more of a dh anyways..

But dh'ing will be done by ortiz or youk..Since, if youk stayes at 3rd his career wont last much longer, hes taking a beating..

But I think pujols will stay in stl regardless, unless a team like the cubs give him something absolutely crazy

benzni
09-20-2011, 08:06 AM

But what if, the Cardinals decide to let Pujols walk, and then go sign Prince Fielder? Now before any trolls start scolding me for even comparing the two, hear me out.

Obviously, Pujols is the better player, but Fielder is only 27 years old and Pujols is 3-4 years older, with reports saying he could be even older than that. Pujols could be 35 or 36 for all we know.

Fielder is younger and cheaper, and IMO is a lower risk than signing Pujols long term.

Now I know Fielder is not on the same level of Pujols, but he is still one of the biggest threats in MLB and would make the sting of losing Pujols hurt a little less.

I would personally rather have a 27 y.o. 1B that is a tier lower than an elite 1B who is at least 32.

Just a thought...

Don't start a topic if you don't know the facts :cool:

bagwell368
09-20-2011, 09:03 AM

Just a thought...

The performance history on sluggers that weigh over 250 lbs is woeful when they get into their 30's.

The fact that Fielder is a violent thug that recently mused about how he wouldn't be in Milw anymore after this year should tell you all you need to know about the difference in quality between the two. If Pulojs walks, PF isn't a viable replacement for him in almost any dimension.

bagwell368
09-20-2011, 09:07 AM

He isn't near Pujols as a player (offensively or defensively).

The history on fat sluggers staying close to prime numbers is grim.

PF is a jerk.

Neither is going to Boston, we need pitching.

thefeckcampaign
09-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Don't start a topic if you don't know the facts :cool:Come on, that's a bit rough. He is simply stating rumors that we all have heard about players from the Dominican. Whether true or not, Dominican players lying about their age has too much history that you would have to be naive to think that it may not be possible.

Don of NY23
09-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Pujols wont go go to Boston cause he wont look good with a beard or dreads.

Bos_Sports4Life
09-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Neither is going to Boston, we need pitching.

Do you think Bos will give another starter a fat contract?

None of the options seem too appealing either...CJ Wilson/CC i believe are the 2 front of the line guys, and cc would be walking away from 4 yrs/90+ mill

Allthough with a healthy beckett,lester,clay they should be able too get by with some solid back end guys

Gibbs
09-20-2011, 02:09 PM
as a NYY fan I'd love to trade Tex for him but AP is going to FA :S tex is still very good probably would dominate the NL

thenetslegend
09-20-2011, 02:42 PM
i mentioned this in another thread...if pujols leaves then they will throw $$$$ at fielder

rkelly7
09-20-2011, 03:11 PM
The performance history on sluggers that weigh over 250 lbs is woeful when they get into their 30's.

The fact that Fielder is a violent thug that recently mused about how he wouldn't be in Milw anymore after this year should tell you all you need to know about the difference in quality between the two. If Pulojs walks, PF isn't a viable replacement for him in almost any dimension.

So a 37 year old Lance Berkman is? After he just had his "post career" career year?

Jeffy25
09-20-2011, 04:08 PM
36 year old Berkman ;) Turns 36 next Feb.

As for replacing Pujols, Berkman compared to Fielder

Pujols - .389 wOBA, 151 wRC+, .299/.369/.548
Fielder - .399 wOBA, 156 wRC+, .296/.409/.550
Berkman - .405 wOBA, 161 wRC+, .299/.412/.558

I don't think there is any question that Berkman can supply a similar replacement value of Pujols when compared to Fielder. Sure he is older, but it's not like this is an outlier season for Berkman, he has a ton of seasons like this under his belt, and while the likelihood of repeating his 2011 is less than it is for Fielder, he is going to cost a crap ton less.

That said, apparently the Cardinals and Berkman aren't as close as we thought on an extension for 2012

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_22ef1b63-d67e-5d32-a9a8-71947ab5596f.html