PDA

View Full Version : Could Rose re-peat MVP?

six
09-17-2011, 12:38 AM
If you look at Rose's stats for the past three seasons, you would notice that he has been drastically improving in all categories each year. Even though it seems unlikely to me, do you think it could happen....again? Could Rose get another MVP, becoming the youngest player to posses two MVP trophy's. He is already the youngest MVP winner in NBA history at the age of 22. Why not another MVP trophy? Why cant it happen? Or can it?

Toxeryll
09-17-2011, 12:42 AM
no because he'll get injured by the start of the season

Raps18-19 Champ
09-17-2011, 12:43 AM
IMO, they probably won't win over 60 game again and his stats will decrease.

So no.

Greet
09-17-2011, 12:46 AM
Drastically improving in all categories.....

Have you even looked at his efficiency?

beasted86
09-17-2011, 12:47 AM
The media was on an immediate witch hunt following the LeBron decision, looking for someone to bestow all their praise on early. That led to Rose with a walk away MVP early in the season. I'm not saying he didn't deserve it, because he did, but there's no reason he should have had the award to lose from since February.

With that in mind, I find it hard to believe he repeats. I think the same exact thing will happen except with Durant. He will basically be proclaimed MVP from the midway point of the season (whenever it starts).

PinnacleFlash
09-17-2011, 12:51 AM
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

six
09-17-2011, 12:54 AM
Drastically improving in all categories.....

Have you even looked at his efficiency?

I've looked at his efficiency, his 3 point efficiency has improved a lot.

First Season:22%
Second Season:26%
Third Season: 33%

And he improved in almost everything else. PPG, Rebounds, Assists, Steals, Blocks, FT%, Defense. He improved in EVERYTHING but his FG%

Rose was actually a candidate for most improved player award, which he should of won in my un-biased opinion.

JasonJohnHorn
09-17-2011, 01:04 AM
It is possible. If his numbers improve and Chi-town finished first... he's got a legit chance. But it is also dependant on how other people peform. If OKC finishes near the top of the league, Durant could be getting a lot of love, and if the Clippers post near 60 wins, which is more possible than one might think, Griffen could easily be in the running. Wade and James and the expectations in Miami will make it hard for either of them to get ahead in the MVP voting, but stranger things have happened.

I'll give Rose a 1 in 10 shot of winning the award ;-)

Avenged
09-17-2011, 01:16 AM
It all depends on team success, so yes, he can repeat.

You also have to watch-out for a team no one was expecting to be really good make some noise. That's exactly how the Rose got his MVP in the 1st place by leading his team to exceed expectations.

MJ-BULLS
09-17-2011, 01:17 AM
What if his numbers slightly improve and the bulls end up taking the top spot in the east? Or for that matter, the best record in the nba again. Its possible.

Sactown
09-17-2011, 01:29 AM
I think there is a fairly good chance considering superstars are starting to pair up like girls to the bathroom! Competition is weak and might get weaker

TheRunKiller
09-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

can you give a reason besides nah? and your sig is gay

iggypop123
09-17-2011, 01:36 AM
the only reason rose won wasnt his play but his play in spite of injuries. the narrative was the best team, record wise with tons of injuries so lets pick the best player and give it to him. gonna be tough unless his guys get hurt again and they win 60 +, or the equivalent to that in a shortened season.

Chronz
09-17-2011, 01:47 AM
Ask the last guy to win the youngest MVP award

PinnacleFlash
09-17-2011, 02:12 AM

Because the expectations he would have to reach would be ridiculous.

He would have to do something in the lines of this.....

-65+ wins, best record in the league.....again
-25+ ppg, 8+ apg and he definitely would have to shoot over 47% for the season
-No other player steps up and plays as big as him.

Too many variables against him and winning back to back is even tougher. LeBron won his back to back because he had no competition.

YourTeamSucks
09-17-2011, 02:27 AM
^ok but u missed the most important thing in his sentence which was your sig is gay

PinnacleFlash
09-17-2011, 02:35 AM
^ok but u missed the most important thing in his sentence which was your sig is gay

deal with it........

Swashcuff
09-17-2011, 09:58 AM
To the OP do you realize that damn near every player shows drastic improvements by their first 3 seasons in the league? Rose isn't one of a kind in that regard.

GoPacers33
09-17-2011, 10:29 AM
maybe

SteBO
09-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Rose most certainly can win MVP again, but the Bulls would have to win 60+ games again and I'm not sure that will happen again. We'll see.....

killbumdeluxe13
09-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Because the expectations he would have to reach would be ridiculous.

He would have to do something in the lines of this.....

-65+ wins, best record in the league.....again
-25+ ppg, 8+ apg and he definitely would have to shoot over 47% for the season
-No other player steps up and plays as big as him.

Too many variables against him and winning back to back is even tougher. LeBron won his back to back because he had no competition.

i agree, het set the bar pretty high for himself last year. He is totally capable of averaging 25ppg and 8apg, and assuming hes worked on his shot he should be able to reach 47% fg. I just don't think Chicago is going to match last years success and finish with the top record in the league. 65 wins will be tough to reach for any team, Chicago included. Only way they reach 65 is if they stay healthy and are able to find a legit starting 2guard. In which case, Rose will probably see a decline in his scoring. Either way, he'll be in the conversation for MVP, but Durant seems like a logical pre season choice. He went almost unnoticed last year because of Westbrook's breakout season, but OKC is looking like they are ready to make a title run.

Super.
09-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Is it possible? Sure

Will he? Meh I doubt it

RZZZA
09-17-2011, 12:11 PM
I think one thing these young Bulls learned this season is to NOT go crazy and chase the best record in the league like they did last year, and tire themselves out for the playoffs.

beasted86
09-17-2011, 12:26 PM
I think one thing these young Bulls learned this season is to NOT go crazy and chase the best record in the league like they did last year, and tire themselves out for the playoffs.

Do you really think that's what happened?

Or is it possible Boozer was non-existant for most of the playoffs, along with Korver & Watson going ghost....all of those 3 guys weren't playing an excess of minutes.

I'll give you the pass on Rose & Noah, but those other 3 are inexcusable.

PhillyFaninLA
09-17-2011, 12:31 PM
I don't think he can do better and I don't think the Bulls will play as well. They where coached great and I think the Bulls will be back in the playoffs but I think they can be a better team and win less games. They make the right trade and solidify there scoring and still play tough defense they may be a more solid team but win a few less games. I also am not one who believes strongly in Rose, he had a great year and is a really good player but I don't think he is really a guy the will be in the MVP discussion year after year.

RZZZA
09-17-2011, 12:31 PM
I think that's what happened with our most important player. Combination of being tired from the regular season and being a deep playoff virgin.

effen5
09-17-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't think he can do better and I don't think the Bulls will play as well. They where coached great and I think the Bulls will be back in the playoffs but I think they can be a better team and win less games. They make the right trade and solidify there scoring and still play tough defense they may be a more solid team but win a few less games. I also am not one who believes strongly in Rose, he had a great year and is a really good player but I don't think he is really a guy the will be in the MVP discussion year after year.

You don't think he can do better? Why? He improves and has improved every aspect of his game since he came into the league. It wouldn't suprise me if hes working on a post up game right now.

Oh wait...nevermind

"(This summer I'm) just trying to be consistent, be sharp and work on my post-up game," Rose said.

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-bulls-talk/2011/08/bulls-notes-derrick-rose-confident-in-team-title-chances/

RZZZA
09-17-2011, 12:44 PM
why does Rose need a post game...?

that just confuses me

kjoke
09-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Meh.

effen5
09-17-2011, 12:46 PM
why does Rose need a post game...?

that just confuses me

Add an another arensal to his game. He can drive to the basket all he wants but eventually time will slow him down and a post game can help his game when he does slow down.

RZZZA
09-17-2011, 12:47 PM
there just seems to be a ton of other facets of his game he should work on improving before that. Seems kinda useless to me right now...

effen5
09-17-2011, 12:53 PM
there just seems to be a ton of other facets of his game he should work on improving before that. Seems kinda useless to me right now...

What makes you think he isn't working on all phases of his game?

First year: Inconsistent shooter but a fantastic finisher
Second year: Consistent shooter, fantastic finisher, inconsistent three point shooter
Third year: More consistent three point shooter, excellent shooter, almost unstoppable finisher.

He works on all of his game and more. Love the kid.

effen5
09-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Oh and the kid hasn't even maxed out to his abilities yet still won the MVP is unbeleivable to me.

smith&wesson
09-17-2011, 12:57 PM
he can ... who knows ? never say never though

RZZZA
09-17-2011, 01:11 PM

Second year: Consistent shooter, fantastic finisher, inconsistent three point shooter
Third year: More consistent three point shooter, excellent shooter, almost unstoppable finisher.

the most important thing, to me, is working on chemistry with teammates...especially boozer. I want to see Rose organize unofficial team practices sooner rather than later.

I guess that wont work too well with eurobasket going on right now though

JordansBulls
09-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Maybe if he leads the Bulls to like 67 wins or something.

YungDaSensai
09-17-2011, 01:46 PM
The media was on an immediate witch hunt following the LeBron decision, looking for someone to bestow all their praise on early. That led to Rose with a walk away MVP early in the season. I'm not saying he didn't deserve it, because he did, but there's no reason he should have had the award to lose from since February.

With that in mind, I find it hard to believe he repeats. I think the same exact thing will happen except with Durant. He will basically be proclaimed MVP from the midway point of the season (whenever it starts).

completely agree with you... Rose was deserving of the MVP award but everyone knows Dwight Howard should've won. As for this upcoming season, IMO idk i think its Howard's or Durant's to lose... Rose will finish in the top 5 in votes though.

bbcmillionaire
09-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Maybe if he leads the Bulls to like 67 wins or something.

Lol maybe with oj mayo we can reach 73?

Gators123
09-17-2011, 02:12 PM

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure his shot was better his 2nd year than it was last year.

Edit:

3-9 feet

2010- 57.5%
2011- 39.7%

10-15 feet

2010- 50%
2011- 42%

16-23 feet

2010- 44%
2011- 38%

http://hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Derrick%20Rose

RZZZA
09-17-2011, 02:34 PM
yes, but his role on the team changed drastically from year 2 to year 3.

Chill_Will_24
09-17-2011, 04:28 PM

Its only gay if you looked at it and you let it bother you.. which you obviously did

Tony_Starks
09-17-2011, 04:31 PM
He could but I think it will be a lot harder because they're not catching anybody by surprise now. Similar to when Chris Paul and NO had that one big year. The next year was a different story when teams started actually paying attention to them.

1-800-STFU
09-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Sure why not.

Geargo Wallace
09-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Nahhhhh he already had his flavour of the year award. This mistake can't be made again.

Chill_Will_24
09-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Dwight or Durant most likely

TheRunKiller
09-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Dwight or Durant most likely

Why not your boy Deron?

ManRam
09-17-2011, 08:00 PM
No...unless he gets much better and somehow becomes the actual best player in the NBA.

The Bulls are now at the top. They aren't coming from 8th seed in the East all the way to #1 again. That was a HUGE reason why he won it...the team surpassed everyone's expectations, and that basically can't happen again. There's no more good story there...or at least it's just not as much of a good story.

D Roses Bulls
09-17-2011, 10:20 PM
actually yes he can and has a very good chance to do it. When Nash won it in 2005, the suns won 62 games. The next season Nash won it, The suns won just 54 games. His points were up when he won his second MVP, but his assists were down. Nash won it because he was the reason why the suns were so good during the regular season. he made that team go like rose makes the bulls go. Even Lebron, when he won his season mvp, the cavs went from 66 to 61 wins. still a 5 point drop. I know they ha back to back 60 win seasons, but still, there was a drop in numbers. Plus the bulls could have another 60 win season with rose improving and if noah and boozer stay healthy cause remember, boozer and noah missed a combined like 40 something games together and they still won over 60 games. We'll see though.

knightstemplar
09-17-2011, 10:31 PM
If he does, the MVP award will become an even bigger joke

Birdmannn
09-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Best player on the team with most wins always has a good chance so totally possible for Rose to grab another.

RZZZA
09-17-2011, 11:08 PM
If he does, the MVP award will become an even bigger joke

who deserved it more than D.Rose?

Birdmannn
09-17-2011, 11:20 PM

Could argue Dwight did

RZZZA
09-17-2011, 11:23 PM
They don't give MVP awards to players on crap teams, sorry. They weren't even the best team in their own division.

knightstemplar
09-18-2011, 12:10 AM

Dirk

Birdmannn
09-18-2011, 12:21 AM
Dirk

Dirk won the MVP he deserved.
He wasn't the best player during the regular seaon.

ewmania
09-18-2011, 12:45 AM
of course, rose is young

but i think if we have a season this year, it will go to howard who i thought deserved it last season

knightstemplar
09-18-2011, 01:02 AM
Dirk won the MVP he deserved.
He wasn't the best player during the regular seaon.

D-Rose wasn't even top 5 in the regular season or playoffs

RZZZA
09-18-2011, 01:06 AM
D.Rose was the best player on the best team, and the man most responsible for that teams success. He also beat up on the Magic and the Heat and the entire West with regularity.

naps
09-18-2011, 03:56 AM
D.Rose was the best player on the best team, and the man most responsible for that teams success. He also beat up on the Magic and the Heat and the entire West with regularity.

Chicago's stellar defense was most responsible for their regular season success. Rose had nothing to do with that D. Rose on the other hand was the main catalyst offensively. But stop acting he was the most responsible person for their success. It was a team work, and if you have to point out to a single man (even though it's not fair) that has to be Tim Thibodeau, he made them the hands down best defensive team in the league; which contributed most toward their success.

LakersIn5
09-18-2011, 06:46 AM
nah upsets dont happen for 2 staight seasons

Andrew32
09-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Kid has a great work ethic so I wont say its impossible but he would have to make a significant improvement in his production/impact and lead his team to atleast 60+ wins again.

natelpete
09-18-2011, 07:22 AM
I doubt Rose will repeat this year. I'll go with Durant or Lebron

Paris Bulls
09-18-2011, 09:20 AM
do his teams wins have to improve really and does his stats really have to improve? i ask this because there were repeat mvp earners whose individual and team stats were around the same as the year b4

Rocketsfan85
09-18-2011, 10:31 AM
No he won't repeat. To me D-Rose won't get any better to me this is as good as he's gonna be. The only thing I see him improving is being a better pg all around later in his career.

Ovratd1up
09-18-2011, 02:06 PM
No he won't repeat. To me D-Rose won't get any better to me this is as good as he's gonna be. The only thing I see him improving is being a better pg all around later in his career.

If you watched him more you'd know better... he's always improving. He's only been in the NBA for three years, and is just getting used to being a superstar.

Chronz
09-18-2011, 03:40 PM
If you watched him more you'd know better... he's always improving. He's only been in the NBA for three years, and is just getting used to being a superstar.
People were saying the same things about Vince Carter once.

PinnacleFlash
09-18-2011, 03:42 PM
People were saying the same things about Vince Carter once.

Weak comparison.......really weak.

Chronz
09-18-2011, 03:46 PM
do his teams wins have to improve really and does his stats really have to improve? i ask this because there were repeat mvp earners whose individual and team stats were around the same as the year b4

The Bulls being the surprise that they were played a huge role in his MVP campaign, without the improvement individually there will be little to promote him again unless the team wins even more games. The players you speak of were most likely the best in the game or on equal footing as them.

Chronz
09-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Weak comparison.......really weak.

That's what makes the fact so profound

ManningToTyree
09-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Yes he could. He won't but he could

mkdo
09-19-2011, 01:55 AM
the only reason rose won wasnt his play but his play in spite of injuries. the narrative was the best team, record wise with tons of injuries so lets pick the best player and give it to him. gonna be tough unless his guys get hurt again and they win 60 +, or the equivalent to that in a shortened season.

right on target here.

chicago had the best record because of the defense.
wouldn't anyone agree with me if i say that rose had it easy because his job was to score and everybody else on that team covered for him on the defensive end? when you team is that good defensively it affords you to be a little inefficient too.

imagine melo or durant(bye pierce) or amare(you suck kg) going to the celtics.

mkdo
09-19-2011, 02:02 AM
I doubt Rose will repeat this year. I'll go with Durant or Lebron

durant is overrated. i say westbrook first before him.

just a list of players better than durant

dwight
wade
lebron
nowitzki
paul
melo
kobe
d-will
stat
rose
gay?(a little bias here)

but let's see. team success counts right? so if they get the best record read the first line.

mkdo
09-19-2011, 02:07 AM

yeah right. now improvement is overrated too.

ask yourself this. who wins the mvp when player A consistently averages 26pts 12 rebs 2blks and player B who improved from 23pts to 25pts, 8 to 11 rebs and say identical team record?

SportsFanatic10
09-19-2011, 02:33 AM
the way the mvp works he could definately win it in a repeat. he probably wouldn't deserve it once again though but thats how that award seems to work.

Baller1
09-19-2011, 03:13 AM
Of course he "could"... I think Dwight finally gets his though. Whenever the next season is.

Bruno
09-19-2011, 03:18 AM
That's what makes the fact so profound

:laugh2:

JNA17
09-19-2011, 09:50 AM
It's weird that if let's say Rose managed to repeat as MVP, he still won't be considered better or as good as Chris Paul and Deron Williams while neither holds a single MVP...and Rose holds 1 or 2.

juno10
09-19-2011, 10:19 AM
It's weird that if let's say Rose managed to repeat as MVP, he still won't be considered better or as good as Chris Paul and Deron Williams while neither holds a single MVP...and Rose holds 1 or 2.

mvp doesn't really mean anything its just a media award given to who ever the media is in love with, cp3's 2008 season was historical for a pg but the media was to enamored with kobe's return to relevance. and rose is probably better than deron.

Avenged
09-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Well if he wins 2, then he has a legitimate argument. I do have Rose ahead of Deron now, but not Chris Paul. You have to keep in mind the teams Rose and Chris Paul have though.

synister281
09-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Not this year, maybe again in a couple of years... but next year (whenever it happens) there is just too much competitions for the MVP

Shmontaine
09-19-2011, 01:04 PM

Who says he isn't considered to be better or as good as CP3 and Deron.. PSD??? who cares about PSD?? nobody that matters...

Chronz
09-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Who say he isn't considered to be better or as good as CP3 and Deron.. PSD??? who cares about PSD?? nobody that matters...

So who's opinion matters?

Cool007
09-19-2011, 01:39 PM
People don't realize but Rose still has a lot to improve. He actually regressed last year in the mid-range shooting (after having a stellar shooting from that range the previous year) mainly coz he focused too much on his 3pt shooting in the previous offseason.

He still needs to go to the line more and improve his efficiency more.

IMO, if Rose improves his offensive efficiency and improves his mid-range to what it was in his 2nd year as well as stays consistent with his 3pt shooting (while not taking way too many), I think he can win MVP again next year.

I don't see a drastic improvements in his stats but I do see it this way:

25+ppg 4.3rpg 8.5apg (if both Boozer and Noah are healthy for most part) but with 47%fg 85%ft 37% 3pt and 57%TS%, 50% eFG%

If Bulls repeat 60-wins and Bulls are again #1 in the East or close, I think Rose can repeat as an MVP.

Not easy but it's very much possible.

Shmontaine
09-19-2011, 01:51 PM
So who's opinion matters?

it's pretty clear that posters on PSD will not give Drose credit, deserved or not... maybe because of some proclaimed anti-hype movement or whatever... and some posters on psd will never put drose ahead of cp3 and dwill, no matter the accomplishments... but to say 'even if drose wins another mvp he probably still won't be regarded as better than cp3 or dwill' is asinine... and exactly why posters here don't matter, and they matter less after comments like that

JayHunter
09-20-2011, 01:17 AM
Truth Be Told, No One Gave Him A Chance This Year