PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Re-Do The 2006 NBA Draft, Who Goes #1?

Fresno
09-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Based on overall depth this will probably be looked at as one of the worst NBA Drafts in history, although most hyped it to be that way in general.

The reason for this is because this was the first draft following the ban on HS players entering. Had HS players been able to enter, we'd probably have seen about 8 of them go in Round 1 including Oden & Durant going 1 & 2.

Knowing what we know now of their careers(6 years in), which guy would you take #1?

DoMeFavors
09-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Brandon Roy
Rajon Rondo
Lamarcus Aldrige
Rudy Gay

CB29
09-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Aldridge, Gay then Bargnani, Bargnani is sick on a good team... He's just had such a **** cast of supporters in toronto.

chicago lulz
09-16-2011, 03:27 PM
I'd take Brandon Roy number one, and his career can back it up
The whole knee thing this past season though...
LA, Gay, Rondo after that though.

Raps08-09 Champ
09-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Aldridge, Gay then Bargnani, Bargnani is sick on a good team... He's just had such a **** cast of supporters in toronto.

Thank you.

Bargnani just looks bad because he doesn't even play his position. I'd like to see Dirk play C and see if he's still the god some people think he is.

CB29
09-16-2011, 03:32 PM
I'd take Brandon Roy number one, and his career can back it up
The whole knee thing this past season though...
LA, Gay, Rondo after that though.

roy is likely done... if he's not then he's # 1 on my list.. otherwise not.. Aldridge too... I dunno whether his knees will hold. Rondo i will argue needed the big three so unless i'm drafting him to boston wit kg, pp, and ray i put him at #4.

CB29
09-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Thank you.

Bargnani just looks bad because he doesn't even play his position. I'd like to see Dirk play C and see if he's still the god some people think he is.

you're welcome. :D

GREATNESS ONE
09-16-2011, 03:45 PM
I'll take the Big man

smith&wesson
09-16-2011, 04:04 PM
aldridge
rondo
gay
bargnani

i wouldnt pick roy knowing what i know now. but id probably pick him 1st based on talent. its too bad his knees are done.

smith&wesson
09-16-2011, 04:08 PM
How come bargs is not even on the list ?

ryanrich83
09-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Aldridge all the way, still can't believe the Bulls got rid of him

The_Pharouh
09-16-2011, 05:24 PM
aldridge
rondo
gay
bargnani

i wouldnt pick roy knowing what i know now. but id probably pick him 1st based on talent. its too bad his knees are done.

this

valade16
09-16-2011, 05:47 PM
roy is likely done... if he's not then he's # 1 on my list.. otherwise not.. Aldridge too... I dunno whether his knees will hold. Rondo i will argue needed the big three so unless i'm drafting him to boston wit kg, pp, and ray i put him at #4.

Since when has Aldridge had anything wrong with his knees? :confused:

Fresno
09-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Since when has Aldridge had anything wrong with his knees? :confused:

Hes left several games due to injuring his knee. Hes never had anything major happen, but I'm guessing thats what the guy was talking about.

Anyways, I'd take Rondo #1.

Just assemble a team around him, people are acting as if The Big 3 is carrying Rondo when its the other way around now. Rondo runs the team and puts all of them in the position to score.

mightybosstone
09-16-2011, 06:29 PM
1. Aldridge
2. Rondo
3. Gay
4. Kyle Lowry
5. Paul Millsap
6. Bargnani
7. Roy (he would obviously be higher if not for injuries)
8. Tyrus Thomas
9. JJ Reddick
10. Thabo Sefolosha

You could also make a case for Randy Foye, Ronnie Brewer, Jordan Farmar, Shannon Brown and a few others, but this would be my top 10. Aldridge is clearly the No. 1 pick, and you could probably make a legit case for anyone from 2-6 as the second option. I don't think Roy makes a lot of sense because of the injury, but in the incredibly unlikely event that he rebounds from it and returns to the player he once was for an extended period of time, he could top this list.

valade16
09-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Hes left several games due to injuring his knee. Hes never had anything major happen, but I'm guessing thats what the guy was talking about.

Anyways, I'd take Rondo #1.

Just assemble a team around him, people are acting as if The Big 3 is carrying Rondo when its the other way around now. Rondo runs the team and puts all of them in the position to score.

I'm not getting frustrated at you, but what several games? The 1 he missed last year? The 3 the year before? the 1 the year before that? Or perhaps the 5 the year before that. That's 4 seasons and 10 games total missed...

Rudy Gay missed way more time than that just last year. I know everybody is entitled to their opinion, all I ask is he base it off something real. How can he be perhaps the most durable player we are discussing and yet he's the one the guy is afraid of holding up?!

As for who to pick, I will admit I am a homer here as a Blazer fan, but how can it not be Aldridge? Not only is he probably the best player being discussed, he's the best big man hands down.

I'll agree Rondo does a lot more for the Celtics than people realize. He basically choreographs their entire offense, without him, they fall apart. He'd probably be my #2, with Rudy #3, Bargnani #4 then Roy #5.

mightybosstone
09-16-2011, 06:50 PM
So, I was thinking about this draft and how much better Toronto might be if they had Aldridge instead of Bargnani right now, and I started looking at other Toronto draft picks over the years.

2003: 4th, Chris Bosh (could have had Dwayne Wade)
2004: 8th, Rafael Araujo (could have had Andre Iguodala, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Kevin Martin, Jameer Nelson)
2005: 7th, Charlie Villanueva (could have had Andrew Bynum, Danny Granger, David Lee)
2006: 1st, Andrea Bargnani (could have had Aldridge, Rondo, Gay, etc.)
2008: 17th, took Roy Hibbert, traded him to Indiana for Jermaine O'Neal
2009: 9th, DeMar DeRozan
2010: 13th, Ed Davis

I realize hindsight is 20/20, but holy crap! From 2003-2006, the Raptors had picks in the top 8, with a ridiculous amount of talent on the board and ended up with Bosh, Araujo, Villanueva and Bargnani. With the exception of Bosh, I don't think you can make a case for any of the other players being a decent decision.

Araujo looks especially bad since I had to look him up to remember who he was. And how does Villanueva makes sense when he plays the same position as Bosh, who they drafted two years earlier. They actually had a really nice pick in 2008 with Hibbert in the middle of the round, but traded him for Jermaine freakin' O'Neal. DeRozan and Davis were decent picks.

Consider this for a second. While it impossible to hit on EVERY pick in drafts, Toronto could have a team today of:

PG: Rajon Rondo, Jameer Nelson or Kyle Lowry
SG: Dwayne Wade, Kevin Martin or Brandon Roy
SF: Andre Iguodala, Danny Granger or Rudy Gay
PF: Josh Smith, David Lee, Chris Bosh, Al Jefferson or Paul Millsap
C: Roy Hibbert or Andrew Bynum

How can one team be THAT terrible at evaluating talent? Toronto fans... how do you sleep at night?

GoPacers33
09-16-2011, 07:13 PM
LMA all day

Baller1
09-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Aldridge
Rondo
Gay

Shareeb_omac2
09-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Thank you.

During the Don Nelson era Dirk played everything from SF to Center...

OGMarkWahlberg
09-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Hard to say...if i could have known what I know now (Brandon Roy's injury) I would not take him whatsoever. With his injury taken into consideration I would go...

1. Lamarcus Aldridge
2. Rudy Gay
3. Rajon Rondo

Funny thing is I actually believe of all 3 of these players that Rajon Rando has had the best career so far. Aldridge and Gay have crazy potential though. I really like what I saw in Aldridge last season as he continues to improve his game. Gay has it all he just needs to figure out how to utilize his skills.

Silent
09-16-2011, 07:25 PM
L.A
Bargs
Rondo
Gay

gwrighter
09-16-2011, 07:40 PM
So, I was thinking about this draft and how much better Toronto might be if they had Aldridge instead of Bargnani right now, and I started looking at other Toronto draft picks over the years.

2004: 8th, Rafael Araujo (could have had Andre Iguodala, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Kevin Martin, Jameer Nelson)
2005: 7th, Charlie Villanueva (could have had Andrew Bynum, Danny Granger, David Lee)

I realize hindsight is 20/20, but holy crap! From 2003-2006, the Raptors had picks in the top 8, with a ridiculous amount of talent on the board and ended up with Bosh, Araujo, Villanueva and Bargnani. With the exception of Bosh, I don't think you can make a case for any of the other players being a decent decision.

Araujo looks especially bad since I had to look him up to remember who he was. And how does Villanueva makes sense when he plays the same position as Bosh, who they drafted two years earlier. They actually had a really nice pick in 2008 with Hibbert in the middle of the round, but traded him for Jermaine freakin' O'Neal. DeRozan and Davis were decent picks.

Consider this for a second. While it impossible to hit on EVERY pick in drafts, Toronto could have a team today of:

How can one team be THAT terrible at evaluating talent? Toronto fans... how do you sleep at night?

Besides the constant bashing we receive for being the only Canadian franchise, I sleep quite well. The future is what keeps me calm. lol

2003: we had Vince Carter so why draft Wade?
2004: terrible pick, i agree
2005: questionable, but he was a good player while on Toronto.
2006: We had chris bosh so Aldrich was pointless, Rondo was picked 18th and a steal so its not our fault, Roy had bad knees which was the reason why he fell in the first place. Gay, I think Bargnani is the better talent, but its very debatable.
2008: we were trying to compete at the time, didn't need a project of a C.
2009: good value pick
2010: good value pick

Lets not forget that we had terrible mgmt up until BC took the helm. Ever since the Bargs pick we've made some nice selections. 2006 draft, lets not forget the top 5 were Bargnani, Aldrige, Adam Morrison, Tyrus Thomas, & Sheldon Williams. Bargnani was the right pick at that time for us as a team.

3mikee_
09-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Tyrus thomas was overrated in this draft.

I'd still go Bargnani easily. LOL jk, probably go LMA. Only reason Raps didn't pick him was because his game was too similar to Bosh's at the time and it just didn't make sense. But little did we no instead of drafting LMA we just drafted a even softer version of CB4 in Bargnani.

heyman321
09-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Rondo number one easily. When he's on, he's probably the top 3 PG in the NBA. Obama must have broken his spirits down in the 2nd half of last season.

juno10
09-16-2011, 08:00 PM

he's apart of that **** supporters, he's a big reason why we're ****, take him off the team im confident we'll become better and much funner too watch.

Sadds The Gr8
09-16-2011, 08:02 PM
he's apart of that **** supporters, he's a big reason why we're ****

agreed.

DwayneMVPwade
09-16-2011, 08:14 PM
1.Aldridge
2.Gay
3.Rondo

LosDoyers1
09-16-2011, 08:25 PM
I have a hard time putting Bargnani in the top-5 of this draft. I wouldn't want a 7-footer who just scores (which is pretty much all he does).

Before anybody rebuttals with a response about Dirk, at least Nowitzki showed he can carry a team. Bargnani is not even comparable to Dirk, either.

ragee
09-16-2011, 09:14 PM
I voted wrong... My real choice is LA... Roy would be my pick if we exclude injuries... Without meniscus in his knees, I don't think he could continue to play as good as he is supposed to be...

Cal827
09-16-2011, 09:31 PM

WHY? What did Raptor fans do to you to deserve having this thrown in our faces again? I thought the Therapy for coping this was helping, but I was wrong :cry:

lol yeah, it is quite frustrating looking back at all of the screw ups by our Gms. Especially the two directly after drafting Bosh (I mean I don't consider drafting Bosh that huge of a fail since he was a very good player and Wade was just something else (I believe he was projected 7th or 8th overall in that draft, but he exploded (I mean, you could also look at Denver/Detroit for messing up too on that one). In 2004, I'm pretty sure Araujo was expected to be an late first or early second round pick... I was waiting to hear Iggy to play alongside the other high flyer in Carter, but instead we drafted an instabust. In 2005, I remember Steven A. Smith basically saying the same thing you did (about Bosh/Charlie V playing the same position), but some Raptor fans took that as a shot against Toronto the city for some reason. Bynum probably would have been The worst was the 16th pick (was from the Carter deal), knowing that we just missed Danny Granger and picked Joey Graham instead :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

As for this draft, I would have picked Lemarcus Aldridge. I think the main reason that BC drafted Bargs instead was because Bosh had more of an interior game back then, so he probably thought that LMA and Bosh's games were somewhat repetitive.

jimbobjarree
09-16-2011, 09:50 PM
I'd take LMA, but since they had had Bosh I'd go Rondo.

NYman15
09-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Talent wise I'd have Roy number 1. So talent wise I'd go
Roy
LA
Gay
Rondo

Knowing what we know now,
LA
Gay
Rondo
Roy

Fnom11
09-17-2011, 08:44 AM
They all play different positions.....So whatever my team needed. Rondo is probably the best player out of the 4 though. He's also the best defensive PG in the league.

likemystylez
09-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Talent wise I'd have Roy number 1. So talent wise I'd go
Roy
LA
Gay
Rondo

Knowing what we know now,
LA
Gay
Rondo
Roy

interesting that you would still take roy in the top five even knowing he had a chance to be out of the league within 5 or 6 yrs

futureman
09-17-2011, 01:39 PM
1. Aldridge
2. Gay
3. Rondo
4. Roy
5. Millsap
6. Bargiani
7. Lowry
8. Reddick
9. Sefolosha
10.Brewer
11.Thomas
12.S.Brown
13. Powe
14.S.Rodriguez

This is where the talent drops off, so this is as far as I will go.

JasonJohnHorn
09-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Knowing about how the knee has turned out, I'd have to pass on Brandon Roy, even though I believe he is the most talented player to come out of the draft. Rondo, I'm not sure he would have developed into the player he is in a different situation, so LMA is my pick. Picking up a good front court player that can rebound and score... that is something every team could use.

beasted86
09-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Thank you.

I don't get this line of logic...

Is Bargnani supposed to be better on offense or defense as a PF?

Just as many advantages you list for Bargnani playing the PF, I can list the same for him at C. I think we need to just drop the excuses and acknowledge Bargnani is a good scorer, but a poor defender & rebounder, no matter if he plays SF, PF, or C.

beasted86
09-17-2011, 03:07 PM
As for the poll, I'm going with Rudy Gay. He's been exactly what you expected from day one. Many agree LMA has underachieved until just last season.

Avenged
09-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Gay, Aldridge, Rondo in that order.

Ill21
09-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Rondo.

OC Knights #11
09-17-2011, 03:32 PM
True point guards are the hardest position to fill, therefore i'll go with Rondo, and then followed by Roy.

BranWingss
09-17-2011, 03:39 PM
1. LMA
2. Rondo
3. Gay
4. Millsap
5. Roy
6. Bargnani

TrueFan420
09-17-2011, 04:02 PM
aldridge
rondo
gay
bargnani

this