PDA

View Full Version : Official Training Camp discussion thread

saintant182
09-16-2011, 02:26 PM
just thought id put some good tweeets on here coming out of the rangers first day at camp and obviously gives us all a chance to update as we see fit....(all taken from nyr official twitter)

thenyrangers New York Rangers
Time to get it on: first day of #NYR training camp starts in moments with conditioning tests!!! Summer is over!!
5 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Kudos to Dan Girardi, first #NYR to hit ice as first group will begin conditioning tests shortly #EagerToGetGoing
5 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Somehow Ruslan Fedotenko maintains a smile & bangs on glass in front of reporters after having done first six laps of conditioning sprints

Today's plan for first day of #NYR camp: four groups doing one-hour each conditioning tests, then a timed distance run tonight...
4 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Among those on ice right now in first group: Girardi, McDonagh, Callahan, Eminger, Rupp, Christensen, Avery, Boyle, Fedotenko, Staal

Marian Gaborik expected to be back today after attending memorial in Sloavkia for good friend Pavol Demitra

second group hits the ice at #NYR camp: Dubinsky, Stepan, Anisimov, Zuccarello, Erixon, McIlrath, Richards in this group

Mike Rupp in conditioning tests "It lived up to expectations!"
3 hours ago Favorite

Derek Stepan "My mindset is that I have to earn a spot on this team. Just look at our roster"
3 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

#CaptainCally "It is a hard test even when you know what to expect. It still doesn't get any easier"
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Brandon Prust "Cally is heart and soul of this team. He's our leader. The C is on the right shirt"

Wojtek Wolski says he "completely threw everything out the window and started over" with his off season training this summer

Brandon Dubinsky "We have a comfort level since they kept whole team together...excited today is finally here and we are on our way"
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Brad Richards "Torts coached teams are always in great shape...and we have had to prepare for this all summer or else, which is good"
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Torts says he wants Del Zotto to get the "swagger" back in his game "but the proper swagger"; believes MDZ "will have really good camp"
22 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Torts reports that Anisimov is heading for MRI on knee & that Sauer has tendinitis in his knee "it's a bit of a concern bc he missed a day"
21 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Marian Gaborik expected in from Slovakia this afternoon after attending services for Pavol Demitra; Torts says he will "get his testing in"
20 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Torts says he believes Wolski took end-of-year meeting "to heart" and realizes "it's time to wake up here" this season
19 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

this took far to long, next time i think i may just posty the link!!

saintant182
09-16-2011, 02:33 PM
http://****************.com/posts/800-testing-quotebook

J4KOP99
09-16-2011, 03:24 PM
This is great stuff. I was gonna say we should make a Training Camp thread.

--I can only imagine the absolute hell these guys are going through. Let's hope all of the conditioning will pay off.

nyanks79
09-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Anisimov didnt practice because something came back on his knee during the physical. MRI came back negative which is good news.

jetsfan89
09-16-2011, 04:03 PM
good thinking bro, this offseason took so long i forgot about a TC thread

saintant182
09-16-2011, 06:59 PM
some thoughts from the coach himself

http://****************.com/posts/804-video-torts-day-one

and a 'day 1 notebook' from jim cerny, who was watching the testing today.

http://****************.com/posts/803-camp-notebook-day-1

bsi
09-17-2011, 12:26 AM
I love that Wolski finally got the message, working with Gary Roberts and Barb Underhill is gonna do that guy a world of difference, skill was never the problem with him, it's all strength, conditioning and effort. If he was true to his workouts, which I'm sure Roberts would make sure he was, he could easily become our problem solver for the LW on the top line, and if he's stronger and faster, he could be our surprise player of this year IMO.

jetsfan89
09-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Training camp officially began shortly after 9:00 Friday morning when the first of four groups of players hit the ice to take part in John Tortorella's infamous first day of conditioning testing.

Torts immediately fired off the first zinger of the season by skating by the group of reporters watching rinkside and asked with a wry smile, "What are you guys doing here? Go home. Nothing happening 'til Sunday! Go home. Nothing to watch. No pucks until Sunday."

Needless to say, I stayed, as did the other reporters. And shortly therafter the first group---featuring Ryan Callahan, Marc Staal and Dan Girardi, among others---took part in six three-lap sprints.

"This is a sprint," Tortorella barked at each group. "That means sprint until the finish. If you don't do that, we will do more."

Veterans, rookies, and prospects alike made it through the rigorous testing, and Tortorella commended his team afterwards, saying, "I can see in this camp already---and in the prior camps---the guys have done their work."

Newcomer Mike Rupp (top photo), "I have played with guys who have experienced (these tests) and told me about it when I signed with New York, and it lived up to the expectations. It was difficult."

Most notable were three players who did not take part in the on-ice testing. Marian Gaborik was due to arrive later in the day from his native Slovakia where he attended a memorial for his good friend Pavol Demitra; Michael Sauer was sidelined due to tendinitis in his knee; and Artem Anisimov was advised to get an MRI on his knee following his morning physical.

Later in the afternoon the Rangers announced that Anisimov's MRI was negative, which was certainly good news. As for when Anisimov and Sauer will return to the ice, the team was not sure as of late afternoon.

Wolski's Wake-Up Call:

Wojtek Wolski (bottom photo) shared after his impressive performance during the second group's conditioning test that he completely overhauled his off-season workout regime and has heeded the Rangers' call to re-focus on his overall game.

"I kind of tossed everything in the garbage and started over," said Wolski, who notched six goals and 19 points in 37 games with the Rangers after being acquired last January from Phoenix. "The feeling I had from last year was very disappointed. It was something where I'd rather work hard all summer and be disciplined so that I don't have that feeling again. That prompted me to turn everything upside down."

Wolski worked with former NHL star Gary Roberts---who has grown a reputation for his brutally difficult off-season workouts with players like Steven Stamkos and Jeff Skinner---and noted skating instructor Barbara Underhill---who has helped many NHL players including the Blueshirts' own Brian Boyle. The 25 year-old highly-skilled wing also altered his mental approach to his craft.

"When I was 19, it was tons of pressure (to produce), now it's just expected and it's how it's supposed to be and where I am supposed to be, and if I'm not then I am not doing my job," explained Wolski, a two-time 20-goal scorer.

Wolski's words---and deeds---have not gone unnoticed by Tortorella, who explained on Friday that he had a very frank conversation with the Poland-born forward during last spring's exit meetings.

"We've been very honest with him, as far as the assessment of what we expect," Tortorella said of Wolski. "This is a young man who has bounced around some teams at a pretty young age. You never know when it clicks in mentally---as far as Wake Up Here, What's Going On? But I am not interested in a bunch of rhetoric. We want to see it on the ice consistently."

With Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik needing a left wing complement on the top line, Wolski and Tortorella are both aware that there is a great opportunity out there for Wolski if he is able to secure that spot and then live up to his high expectations.

"No matter his opportunity, we just hope he grabs it and makes it work," said Tortorella.

Source (http://****************.com/posts/803-camp-notebook-day-1)

saintant182
09-17-2011, 07:52 PM
DAY 2 CAMP NOTES

Acing The Tests:

The Rangers wrapped up their second day of training camp Saturday afternoon and, in the process, finished up the grueling conditioning testing which John Tortorella puts the team through every year.

As Michael Del Zotto said today, "Everyone is in such great shape. The guys know what's at stake this year, and they are ready for it. You can tell."

I'd say MDZ is on point with that assessment. While it is true some players were hunched over and/or grimacing at points during the testing, not a single player stood out by being unable to keep up with the others. It was impressive how even the young prospects held their own during the testing.

On the ice several players, in my opinion, stood out for their elite conditioning---among them Brandon Dubinsky, Ryan McDonagh, Dan Girardi, Sean Avery, and Wojtek Wolski.

Off the ice, the players also took part in a timed two-mile run on Friday night. Erik Christensen and Scott Stajcer told me that Henrik Lundqvist, Ryan Bourque, Carl Hagelin, and Avery just absolutely crushed the field in the running test.

Good news on Saturday as all three players who could not take part in camp on Friday were back on the ice, in one way or the other, today.

Artem Anisimov: after missing Friday's testing in order to have an MRI on his sore left knee instead, Anisimov was cleared to skate Saturday after the MRI came back negative. Tortorella said, "I think he felt better mentally---and he was fine physically---to get the MRI and have it come back clear. It was certainly good news for us, and him."
Marian Gaborik: back at the MSG Training Center after his draining return to Slovakia to attend Pavol Demitra's memorial, Gaborik was on the ice taking part in conditioning tests this afternoon. "I watched him skate, and he looked fine," said Tortorella.
Michael Sauer: Sauer skated on his own with a stick and puck after everyone else finished their testing on Saturday. Torts is hopeful that Sauer will be able to take part in Sunday's scrimmage.
Now that the test are done, it's time for pucks. The Rangers will have a pair of scrimmages on Sunday, along with four other on-ice sessions---one per pre-determined group.

It's time for some hockey!

Del Zotto is "All Business":

Among the more intriguing battles in training camp will be the one for two of the seven spots on defense. Assuming that Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh, Michael Sauer, and Steve Eminger fill five of the seven spots (also assuming that Tortorella keeps seven defenesemen on the roster), that leaves youngsters Michael Del Zotto, Pavel Valentenko, and Tim Erixon fighting it out with veteran Brendan Bell for the other two spots.

Today Del Zotto discussed how he has put his absolute best foot forward in trying to secure a spot on the Rangers roster this season, after splitting his 2010-11 campaign between the Blueshirts and the Connecticut Whale.

"I'm all business, and I have learned from last year," explained Del Zotto, 21. "I won't make the same mistakes I made before. My head is on right. And I plan on bringing my swagger back, that's the biggest thing."

After registering 37 points as a 19 year-old rookie in 2009-10, Del Zotto notched only 11 in 47 games with the Rangers last year. Twice he was sent to the Whale---the first demotions of his professional career---and his season ended for good in March when he broke a finger.

"Going down at first was humbling, and it was pretty frustrating, as well, because I had never been in that position before" said Del Zotto, who recorded seven assists in 11 games with Connecticut. "But playing in the AHL was the best thing for me. Now the whole summer has been pretty motivating for me to show what I can do and that I belong here."

After recovering from surgeries to repair the broken finger and to repair a sports hernia injury, Del Zotto embarked on an intense conditioning program this summer that called for two or three workouts a day.

The 2008 first rounder also set out to make sure he corrected mistakes he made both on---and off---the ice last season, mistakes that were clearly pointed out to him by Tortorella.

"It was a huge summer for me," explained Del Zotto. "I never ever worked this hard before, but I was very self motivated, especially after how last season went. This year is a huge year for me, and I feel very confident."

Considering his offensive gifts from the back end, one can imagine an intriguing power play point pair of Del Zotto and Brad Richards on Broadway this season, should MDZ make the varsity.

It is something that Del Zotto has most definitely thought about, as well.

"That's one thing I really worked on this off-season, my shot," said Del Zotto. "We all know (Richards') ability to pass, so when you get open there is going to be a pass on your tape every time. I'll need to be ready to shoot with him out there."

Sunday is Del Zotto's first chance on ice to show Tortorella that 2011-12 is a new season and that he has learned from last year, and has put it behind him.

Let the competition begin!

Jim Cerny-September 17, 2011

http://****************.com/posts/812-camp-notebook-day-2

saintant182
09-17-2011, 07:59 PM
richards after day 1

http://****************.com/posts/806-video-richards-interview

cally after day 1

http://****************.com/posts/805-video-cally-interview

dubi day 1

http://****************.com/posts/807-video-dubi-interview

saintant182
09-17-2011, 08:06 PM
DAY 2 TWEETS

#NYR defenseman Michael Sauer not taking part in his group's on-ice testing for 2nd straight day due to knee tendinitis
Favorite Retweet Reply

Michael Del Zotto reports that he was taking part in training sessions 2-3 times every day during summer to prepare for #NYR camp
Favorite Retweet Reply

henyrangers New York Rangers
#NYR Derek Stepan says he's still "competing for a spot" despite strong rookie season; read more from Stepan & comment: bit.ly/oZugEY
Favorite Retweet Reply

link.. http://****************.com/posts/808-nothing-for-granted

Third #NYR group takes to the ice for testing and good news is that Artem Anisimov is taking part after MRI on knee yesterday
Favorite Retweet Reply

#NYR Marian Gaborik is not on the ice for second straight day...he is listed in group that is on ice now
Favorite Retweet Reply

Marian Gaborik is back from Slovakia and despite jet lag will skate with final group today at #NYR camp
Favorite Retweet Reply

Gaborik says he gave speech at Pavol Demitra's memorial in Slovakia, and also skated three times "to get my mind off things"
Favorite Retweet Reply

enyrangers New York Rangers
Gaborik: "It's time to move on...I am looking forward to this (training camp & being with #NYR teammates)"
Favorite Retweet Reply

#NYR Artem Anisimov says left knee had been bothering him so doctor sent him for MRI for peace of mind "I wanted to do it"
Favorite Retweet Reply

Anisimov says he felt no pain during the skate today "I feel fine, no pain...I had some concern, but everything felt fine"
Favorite Retweet Reply

Anisimov on upcoming season: "I can talk forever what I can be. I just need to show it on the ice" says wants to improve on "everything"
Favorite Retweet Reply

#NYR d-man Michael Sauer heading out to ice to skate by himself after all the tests are complete today
Favorite Retweet Reply

Torts says he is hoping Sauer will feel good enough after skating on his own that he'll be able to "jump right in" to scrimmage tomorrow
Favorite Retweet Reply

Torts says he believes having the MRI and having it come back clean "was good mentally" for Anisimov; says Artie "felt fine" today
Favorite Retweet Reply

Torts on #NYR prospects: "We want to, & have to, infuse more youth into the lineup"; says it would be disappointment if no kids made team
Favorite Retweet Reply

#NYR Artem Anisimov relieved that his knee feels OK and MRI was negative, now ready to play; read more and comment: bit.ly/qFSYkr
Favorite Retweet Reply

TORTS VIDEO AT END OF DAY 2

http://****************.com/posts/811-video-torts-day-2

DEL ZOTTO VIDEO

http://****************.com/posts/813-video-mdz-interview

saintant182
09-17-2011, 08:10 PM
OH AND WOLSKI VIDEO

http://****************.com/posts/814-video-wolksi-interview

saintant182
09-18-2011, 09:31 AM
first scrimmage of #NYR training camp about to take place! #DropThePuck
Favorite Retweet Reply

Red vs. Green scrimmage today: Marty Biron in goal for Green, Chad Johnson & Jason Missiaen split time in goal for red
Favorite Retweet Reply

Red Team features Gaborik, Richards, Wolski, Del Zotto, & Eminger; Green Team: Staal, Girardi, Avery, Anisimov, Zuccarello, & Rupp
Favorite Retweet Reply

Wolski beats Biron off pretty passing from Richards and Gaborik at 11:28
Favorite Retweet Reply

Wolski beats Biron off pretty passing from Richards and Gaborik at 11:28
Favorite Retweet Reply

NYP_Brooksie Larry Brooks
Unspecified issue keeping Staal out of scrimmage. Is expected to skate later.
Favorite Retweet Reply

Gaborik scores to put Red up 2-0 at 15:36
Favorite Retweet Reply

After one period, Red Leads Green 2-0 on goals by Wolski and Gaborik
Favorite Retweet Reply

saintant182
09-18-2011, 10:16 AM
John Mitchell scores for green through JT Miller screen...2-1 Red
Favorite Retweet Reply

Dale Weise sprung on breakaway by Wolski beats Biron....3-1 Red
Favorite Retweet Reply

John Mitchell off a Sean Avery feed scores again for Green
Favorite Retweet Reply

Gaborik scores again assisted by Wolski
Favorite Retweet Reply

Red Team defeats Green Team 4-2 in first scrimmage of #NYR training camp: Gaborik and Mitchell each score twice, Wolski four points
Favorite Retweet Reply

YEA WOLSKI!!!! :)

jetsfan89
09-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Torts still looking to "infuse" more youth into the lineup. Will be disappointed if no young player makes it, won't "force feed it."

Andrew Gross

saintant182
09-18-2011, 07:36 PM
DAY 3

Red Team features Gaborik, Richards, Wolski, Del Zotto, & Eminger; Green Team: Staal, Girardi, Avery, Anisimov, Zuccarello, & Rupp
Favorite Retweet Reply

Unspecified issue keeping Staal out of scrimmage. Is expected to skate later.
Favorite Retweet Reply

After one period, Red Leads Green 2-0 on goals by Wolski and Gaborik
Favorite Retweet Reply

Gaborik scores again assisted by Wolski
Favorite Retweet Reply

Red Team defeats Green Team 4-2 in first scrimmage of #NYR training camp: Gaborik and Mitchell each score twice, Wolski four points
Favorite Retweet Reply

NEWS: Marc Staal being held out of scrimmages because of lingering issues as result of crushing hit from brother Eric in Carolina last 2/22
Favorite Retweet Reply

Marc is cleared for contact but Rangers are being cautious after post-concussion-like symptoms developed over summer, Post has learned
Favorite Retweet Reply

Staal not expected to play in any of three North American exhibition games....Tortorella will address issue later this afternoon...
Favorite Retweet Reply

White Team features: Boyle, Fedotenko, Prust, Erixon Blue Team features: Dubinsky, Stepan, Callahan, McDonagh, Christensen
Favorite Retweet Reply

Second #NYR scrimmage about to start: Lundqvist in goal for White Team, Stajcer and Talbot for Blue Team

after one period: White Leads Blue 2-0...Lundqvist sharp in goal for Team White...Boyle and Fedotenko score the goals
Favorite Retweet Reply

Brian Boyle's second goal makes it 3-0 White...

Kris Newbury deflection...4-0 White

Stepan buried rebound of Brendan Bell shot with Hank down...4-1

Ryan McDonagh wicked one-timer with 6.5 seconds to go closes out scoring as White Beats Blue 4-2
Favorite Retweet Reply

Brandon Prust will also not skate in #NYR afternoon scrimmage

Does not look like Michael Sauer will take part in the afternoon scrimmage

Torts says #NYR are "being cautious" by holding Marc Staal out of scrimmages after he experienced headaches this summer
Favorite Retweet Reply

yrangers New York Rangers
Torts says that Staal "skated hard today and yesterday....I saw him b4 he left and he is feeling good...just want to be smart about this"
Favorite Retweet Reply

yrangers New York Rangers
And Torts says Brandon Prust will not play in pre-season until Europe following off-season shoulder surgery...no contact for 2 more weeks
Favorite Retweet Reply

saintant182
09-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Highlights of day 3 scrimmages... great watch too

http://****************.com/posts/819-first-scrimmage-highlights

a few things stood out to me while watching those vids..

avery looks extreemly quick,sharp, and hungry.

rupp looks physical, we knew this

eminger is also getting in amongst it early

del zotto looked far more assured and made some great passes including some that wer the simple passes and not allways the quarterback pass he used to look for to no avail at times.

zucc's also looked sharp and creative and agile on his skates (he also knocks someone over early in the highlights and say sorry lol... nice guy)

also, heres the link to the blueshirts united day 3 blog

http://****************.com/posts/818-sunday-scrimmages

jetsfan89
09-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Brad Richards said he aggravated what has been in the past, a sometimes cranky groin, in the second period of yesterday’s scrimmage and neither he nor John Tortorella want to push it at this point in training camp. However, Richards is not alarmed by the issue and while he doesn’t know whether he’ll be able to skate tomorrow, he said he hopes to. He’s also not sure about dressing for Friday’s exhibition game against the Devils at Newark, though Tortorella said he hoped to get Richards into that game.

“I went out to the practice (yesterday after the scrimmage) but it didn’t seem smart to go through that knowing there was conditioning (skating) at the end,” Richards said. “I don’t know for sure (if he’ll be able to play Friday). Everything felt better today than it did yesterday. I didn’t know coming into this morning whether I’d skate or not. It was a little more prudent not to. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll skate if everything keeps going. If it’s not quite right, I’m not going to push it right now.”

Richards noted that he’s had a few surgeries in that area and “at this time of the year, it’s always a little bit of a battle to stay on top of it. But it’s nothing alarming, that’s for sure. It’s just a tough time of the year with a groin that acts up once in a while. I haven’t had this camp (with Tortorella) in a few years so the groin probably woke up a little bit.”

“It’s nothing really bad, just precautionary so we kept him off,” Tortorella added. “I think he’ll be able to skate tomorrow. Him and Rammer (trainer Jim Ramsey) talked to me after the scrimmage. I’m the one who told him to get off. He said he felt it. I’m not interested this early in camp, with the amount of work we have to do, to make that into an aggravation. I’d really like to get him into that next game.”

As for other updates:

- Marc Staal “seems fine” after skating today. Asked about the Rangers not discussing/disclosing the concussion after Staal was hit on Feb. 22 and missed three games, Tortorella said, “You guys (in the media) didn’t ask so I didn’t give you the information. He had a knee injury that was the main concern of ours at the time so I’m not going to give you every piece of information. I think I’m pretty good to you guys.”

- Chad Kolarik tried to skate after having his knee buckle yesterday during a scrimmage. However, he quickly left the ice after finding he could not extend his knee. The 25-year-old forward played reasonably well on the fourth line in four games last season as an injury replacement, notching an assist. His past performance will be part of this year’s evaluation. “He did some things for us last year,” Tortorella said. “You can’t take anything away or against what they’ve done prior. You have to keep it in your memory how they’ve played. But it’s also, ‘Are they improving?’” And Kolarik is not getting a chance to show that if he can’t skate.

- Tortorella repeated he wants to bring 30-32 players to Europe for the four preseason games. He specified six lines, 10 defensemen (five D pairs) and three goalies.

- Tortorella stressed that for tonight’s game “there’s a lot of players in there that really need to show some things to really move along.” Asked specifically if that included veterans Sean Avery and Erik Christensen, Tortorella said very definitely.

- Wojtek Wolski, too, needs to show Tortorella he can play with consistency as he battle for a spot on the top line with Richards and Marian Gaborik. “He’s had a good camp so far but now we’re playing against the other colors,” Tortorella said. “With Wools, it’s always consistency. I must have said that word in the short time I’ve known him 500 times, in all facets of the game.”

Source (http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/brad_richards_not_alarmed_by_sore_groin/)

jetsfan89
09-25-2011, 11:44 AM
NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Forwards on ice now for #NYR: Wolski-Richards-Gaborik, Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan, Rupp-Stepan-Zuccarello, Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust

NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Defensemen on ice for #NYR: Girardi, Staal, Del Zotto, Eminger, McDonagh, Sauer... Lundqvist and Stajcer also on.

You'd have to think those are the lines Torts will go to war with for the season. Rupp with Stepan and Zuc is an interesting mix and I actually like it. Gives that line a physical component.

Also glad Staal is back on the ice.

BranWingss
09-25-2011, 02:22 PM
No Avery or Christensen. ^^ I really think Avery should be playing every night with, or without an injury in the line-up.

jetsfan89
09-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Avery isn't better than anybody in that lineup. He's a spare forward for us.

nyanks79
10-01-2011, 01:32 PM
The Rangers have trimmed their preseason roster to 25 players and will go into Sunday's game against HC Slovan Bratislava with 14 forwards, eight defensemen and three goaltenders.

The Rangers assigned forwards Ryan Bourque, Carl Hagelin, John Mitchell, Kris Newbury and Dale Weise to the Connecticut Whale of the AHL, along with defensemen Tim Erixon and Blake Parlett. Defenseman Dylan McIlrath will return to juniors with the Moose Jaw Warriors of the WHL.

The next step will be to cut down to 24 players by Wednesday, and John Tortorella said in a conference call from Gothenburg, Sweden on Saturday that Erik Christensen and Sean Avery are vying for that final spot.

"As far as the forwards are concerned, we'd like to just carry 13," Tortorella said. "We're still not sure who that 13th forward is. It's obviously Erik (Christensen) and Sean (Avery) battling for that spot."

Looks like MDZ and MZA are pretty much on the team.

Redfish
10-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Looks like MDZ and MZA are pretty much on the team.

With the addition of Rupp to compliment the physical contributions made by Boyle, Prust, and Fedetenko in the bottom six, it seems Tortorella decided early on the team needed more skill/creativity from these units and 3rd line RW was MZA's position to lose. Kudos to MZA for not taking anything for granted, improving his game where needed, and securing his role on the 3rd line. MZA made the decision an easy one, in retrospect.

bsi
10-01-2011, 01:59 PM
I really think it's Avery's spot to lose now....Christensen is better in a top two line role, he's not really a defensive wizard.

Redfish
10-01-2011, 09:45 PM
I really think it's Avery's spot to lose now....Christensen is better in a top two line role, he's not really a defensive wizard.

It does seem like Avery's spot to lose but, to me, it's not an easy decision either way, when their cap hits are factored into the equation. One thing this pre-season has proved already is you can never have enough defenseman. An extra $1mm of cap space gained by retaining Christenson over Avery could very well be needed and come in handy as the season progresses.

nyanks79
10-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Plus Christiensen has a much greater shot to get claimed IMO. I dont know if that will factor in to the decision that much since I dont know if they will mind losing him that much but it could. Though I do think it will go to Avery. Better suited to play wing. Better skater and could fit in better with a 3rd or 4th line and even someone better suited to try on the first line if WW dosent work out great.

nyanks79
10-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Brooks is reporting that Avery will be the guy to go. Im pretty surprised. Wont know officially until 12 I think.

jetsfan89
10-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Vancouver has claimed Dale Weise off waivers

Steve Zipay

dashripdot
10-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Steve Zipay

Clearly not for his fighting prowess.

Redfish
10-04-2011, 11:22 PM
It is interesting that a Stanley Cup finalist has a need and role for Weise in their lineup, but we don't in ours. We may have one of the top 3rd and 4th lines, as a unit, in the league.

Also, a Vancouver rep was quoted as saying they were watching Weise for some time and have tried to acquire him for the past year....really? I guess we rolled the dice thinking he could make the team this year; otherwise, it would have been nice to get something in return for Weise from Vancouver.

bsi
10-06-2011, 10:29 PM
It is interesting that a Stanley Cup finalist has a need and role for Weise in their lineup, but we don't in ours. We may have one of the top 3rd and 4th lines, as a unit, in the league.

Also, a Vancouver rep was quoted as saying they were watching Weise for some time and have tried to acquire him for the past year....really? I guess we rolled the dice thinking he could make the team this year; otherwise, it would have been nice to get something in return for Weise from Vancouver.

Apparently there were a couple deals that fell through that included Weise last year, but I just don't understand what changed that we sent him down and then decided to call him back up, if Vancouver was looking to trade for him you know they're gonna claim him, but maybe that was the point, Torts recently said he felt Weise deserved to play in the NHL whether it was for NY or some other team, so maybe this was a move they made for him like they did for a few others that were on the bubble for a few years in New York.