PDA

View Full Version : Derek Fisher writes a letter to the players

stawka
09-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Got this off another forum

To Each & Every Player,

After the latest round of meetings, I thought it would be best to update you personally as to where the leadership of the National Basketball Players Association stands, where the negotiations stand where we are headed and the reasons why.

Without a doubt, someone will be leaking this. I know it. The moment you read this you will know it. So, I say all with the fullest transparency.
I was elected as your President. By you. For you. I take great pride and am honored to serve the over 400 members of our association. I and our Executive Committee take this job and this role seriously and will not agree to an unfair deal on behalf of you and our players. Period.

I'm not looking out just for the marquee guy, I'm looking out for the guy that dreams of being a professional basketball player and gets a minimum deal. I'm not just trying to protect the guy on a team in a huge market. I'm protecting the player that is in a small market with incredibly loyal fans.

I've made it clear, I want to play. You have each made it clear, you want to play. The fans have been unwavering, they want their basketball. The thousand of employees that work in the arenas, the ticket offices, the concession stands, they want a season. We all want to go back to work.
The league and the team owners have locked us out. This was not our choice. Our employers decided to stop allowing us to do our jobs.
My job since July 1st is to find a solution. To find an outcome that protects each of you and your livelihoods and continues to allow us to play the game we love so much and the fans love supporting.

Since before the lockout began, I have spent hours upon hours, days, months, years, working on preparing you, the fans and the media about the possibilities. Now as the lockout has set in, reality of the situation is here.
The most recent meetings in New York were effective. What you have been told by your agents, representatives and the media is probably speculative and inaccurate.

What actually happened in those meetings was discussion, brainstorming and a sharing of options by both sides. The turning point this past Tuesday was not a disagreement between the players and the owners. It was actually a fundamental divide between the owners internally. They could not agree with each other on specific points of the deal and therefore it caused conflict within the league and its owners.

So it is our hope that today, Thursday, at the owners meeting in Dallas that they work out their differences, come up with a revenue sharing plan that will protect their teams and are then ready to come together and sign off on the agreement we as a smaller group deemed reasonable.

Decertification seems to be a hot button issue today in the media. So I'd like to address it. I've read yesterday's stories and find the position of these agents interesting. I have made myself available to each and every agent. But not once have I heard from them. If they are so concerned about the direction of the union, then why have they not contacted me? Each and every one of them mentioned has been in meetings with me. I've answered their questions, I've been told they support you, their players and our Players Association. So if there is a genuine concern, a suggestion, a question, call me. Email me. Text me. I'm working tirelessly each and every day on behalf of the over 400 players that they represent. Working for nothing but the best interests of THEIR guys. I don't make a commission, I don't make a salary for serving as President. I have NO ulterior motives. None.

It is because they have not come to me once that I question their motives.
I work every day on these negotiations. I work so that each player from Blake Griffin to Tyler Hansbrough, Pau Gasol to De'Andre Jordan, Dwight Howard to Jrue Holiday, Taj Gibson to Danny Granger, Steve Nash to Luke Babbit and every single player get a fair and reasonable deal. Not just for this year, not just for next year but for years to come. So that the league that WE the players largely helped build, continues to grow and thrive.

So to address the agents that have decided to say their piece yesterday, I don't mind. Perhaps they are trying to make news. Perhaps they just want to show you, their clients, they are working hard. But what would be appreciated by the 400+ players would be the support of our agents and constructive ideas, suggestions and solutions that are in our best interests. Not the push for a drastic move that leaves their players without a union, without pensions, without health care. We just aren't there.

I will remain committed to finding resolution to this because I know how important this is. I ask you to remain united with me and your over 400 allies, friends, brothers and colleagues. We are a powerful group if we remain united and focused on the task at hand.

I urge every single one of you to call me, text me, email me with anything. An idea, a suggestion, a concern, a question. I represent you. I work for you.
So to each player, each fan, each agent, each media member who ends up reading this...I stand behind this message. It comes from me, a 15 year veteran of basketball, the game I dreamt of playing as a kid, the game I love so much. I'm a teammate, I'm a father, I'm a son, I'm a husband, I'm a brother, but right now, the role I must work so hard to honor is the one as PA President. And I ask each of you to stand with me, stand by me and urge the league and the owners to come together and allow the game of basketball to continue to grow and thrive. We're ready.

Sincerely,
Derek

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/09/15/derek.fisher.letter/index.html#ixzz1Y3nWMIO8

heyman321
09-15-2011, 08:33 PM
This is in the lockout thread already.

Ovratd1up
09-15-2011, 09:03 PM
I <4 Fisher

I don't care about watching basketball as much as I care for Luke Babbit. Hang in there Luke.

Geargo Wallace
09-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Derek is a great dude.

Crackadalic
09-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Big Market owners vs Small market owners. Interesting....

Kevj77
09-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Owners and players initially found reason for optimism during Tuesday's meetings. Commissioner David Stern and Peter Holt, the head of the owners' executive committee, felt that the players' proposal to take 52 or 53 percent of basketball-related income, compared to 57 under the previous agreement, was basically fair, sources said.

Owners were seriously considering coming off of their demand for a salary freeze and would allow players' future earnings to be tied into the league's revenue growth, a critical point for players. The owners also were willing to allow the players to maintain their current salaries, without rollbacks, sources said.

But when the owners left the players to meet among themselves for around three hours, Cleveland's Dan Gilbert and Phoenix's Robert Sarver expressed their dissatisfaction with many of the points, sources said. The sources said that the Knicks' James Dolan and the Lakers' Jerry Buss were visibly annoyed by the hardline demands of Gilbert and Sarver.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/6973675/nba-lockout-derek-fisher-los-angeles-lakers-emails-players-says-owners-rift

It's not looking good right now. If the owners can't even agree on what they want how can they negotiate with the players. To me it seems like the biggest obstacle to getting a deal done could be a group of hardline owners.

JNA17
09-15-2011, 09:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/6973675/nba-lockout-derek-fisher-los-angeles-lakers-emails-players-says-owners-rift

It's not looking good right now. If the owners can't even agree on what they want how can they negotiate with the players. To me it seems like the biggest obstacle to getting a deal done could be a group of hardline owners.

What's interesting about this to me is that it seems like it's more so of big market owners vs small market owners rather than owners vs players.

Kevj77
09-15-2011, 10:02 PM
What's interesting about this to me is that it seems like it's more so of big market owners vs small market owners rather than owners vs players.I agree it makes me wonder how many owners are in the middle of this argument. It seems like there are some hardline owners that want a hardcap without player salaries being tied to the growth of revenue and some rich owners that might not want to share their profits or give up a competitive advantage.

kntresistheheat
09-15-2011, 10:42 PM
I hate ****ing Dan Gilbert!!! It's to sabotage Lebron!! Lol!

JNA17
09-15-2011, 10:49 PM
I hate ****ing Dan Gilbert!!! It's to sabotage Lebron!! Lol!

Damn it Dan!....I would be doing the same thing...

Did I say that out loud? :p

Bishnoff
09-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Big Market owners vs Small market owners. Interesting....

I understand the small market owners. 9 different organisations have been champions in the last 30 seasons. All are either big or medium market organisations. Things must change otherwise small market teams will never have a chance at winning a ring.

likemystylez
09-15-2011, 11:04 PM
so i dont know what to make of this. I suppose its good that a lot of the owners are on the same page with the players and this deal could be made if it werent for a couple owners. I just dont know what is going to have to happen... revenue sharing plans?

I really dont know why dan gilbert is so mad... I mean he got a lot of bennefits the 7 yrs before this one. he had tons of players trying to go to his team. he found out a way to get an all star level player in antawn jamison without giving up anybody. he got to watch a 17 win team be in the nba finals 3 or 4 yrs later. Granted they didnt win a ring, but being a top 5 team in the league for 5 or 6 straight years isnt exactly the worse situation to be in is it??

likemystylez
09-15-2011, 11:06 PM
I understand the small market owners. 9 different organisations have been champions in the last 30 seasons. All are either big or medium market organisations. Things must change otherwise small market teams will never have a chance at winning a ring.

well the cbas have all been focused on any team being able to retain their stars... so when a team has a great core, they can grow together (Ie chicago with jordan pippen etc.)

NY is prob the biggest market out there, and they havent won a ring in the last 30 yrs. they have had some great teams and great seasons... but no rings

DoMeFavors
09-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Maybe dan wants yet another top 3 pick in this years draft and another year of his obbsession with LeBron. What a class act....

Kevj77
09-15-2011, 11:29 PM
I understand the small market owners. 9 different organisations have been champions in the last 30 seasons. All are either big or medium market organisations. Things must change otherwise small market teams will never have a chance at winning a ring.I don't really see the fact that only 9 teams have won championships in the last 30 years as a small market vs. big market problem.

The 80s were dominated by two teams the Celtics and Lakers, but players salaries didn't explode until the 90s, players like Magic and Bird only made about 3 million a year.

Look at the trade by Red Auerbach that brought Parish and McHale to Boston from Golden State for the top pick in the 1980 draft that was a brilliant move. Just like how Jerry West cleared cap space to try signing Shaq then traded his starting center Divac for a high school kid named Kobe before Shaq had even signed. That was a high risk high reward move if Kobe hadn't developed and Shaq resigned with ORL it would have destroyed the Lakers. Those aren't examples of unfair advantages for large markets teams that is the advantage of having two of the most brilliant GMs in NBA history.

In the 90s several small to medium size markets had championship caliber teams. Phoenix, Seattle, Utah and Portland all could have won championships. The reason they didn't was Michael Jordan you know the GOAT. In the last decade the Spurs a medium market won 4 championships and Miami won a title as well.

Sadds The Gr8
09-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Fisher is too greezy

Punk
09-15-2011, 11:32 PM
If I remember correctly, they would have to impose a vote between the owners on the deal. So, Gilbert and Sarver are being cockblocking *******s.

I understand, the deal isn't done but I will operate under the assumption there will be a season because I do not see anyone else in that article besides TWO hard headed people that are responsible for their teams issues.

Gilbert failed by not pulling a Dolan and getting Amare to Cleveland when the deal was on the table. Sarver failed by not re-signing Amare and trying to believe he was so broken down player.

It's pathetic we are suffering right now due to their own poor decisions as an organization. We all know Suns do not want to play the 2011-12 season because they will be simply a lottery team. Cleveland tanked from day one, not because of losing LeBron but because they signed a bunch of scrubs last season. Now, they get back some nice talent they want to screw around and be bitter towards players over LeBron. It's sad.

This hold up won't last for long. Stern will eventually come down on those two idiots if there is a season being missed and money being lost. NBA went out with a bang, opening with match ups like Heat/Knicks, Thunder/Lakers, Lakers/Warriors are something I highly doubt Stern and the league will allow if there is some common ground, compromise on the table and those idiots are the only ones upset about it.

likemystylez
09-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Fisher is too greezy

what does that even mean>??

likemystylez
09-15-2011, 11:45 PM
was actually an amazingly calculated brilliant move by derek Fisher IMO... atleast I think it will be. It really turns all the attention of the media and the fans to the team owners. I am assuming that there is a lot od truth to what he is saying. It's important to note that fisher didnt name any names... the suns and cavs owners are rumors from a different source.

But this move does kind of put the ball in the owners court (no pun intended), assuming there is truth to this. If there is not truth, basically big market owners like dolan and buss will have to come out and verbally say they want a hardcap.... which would be beyong shocking to me. They may not come out and throw dan gilbert infront of the bus... but I dont think they would come out and back him up if it was just him creating this problem.

Im worried that there are more like 7 or 8 teams crying about this, and maybe dan gilbert is just the loudest.

Do the big market owners want a season bad enough to share revenue (more) than they already do. Is Dolan willing to waste a season now that he finally has a decent team to avoid sharing money with the bucks?

BTW- before the lockout officially started, the owners proposed something called a flex cap, does anybody know exactly how that would have worked. It was rejected pretty hard by the players.

PurpleJesus
09-16-2011, 01:43 AM
sounds like the letter was intended more for the fans than the players.

Sadds The Gr8
09-16-2011, 01:52 AM
what does that even mean>??

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=greezy

the first one.

likemystylez
09-16-2011, 09:23 AM
sounds like the letter was intended more for the fans than the players.

which is why it was nothing short of genious by derek fisher and whatever lawyers suggested it to him. He can't be punished for it, as the letter was addressing the nba players.....I dont know how much truth is behind it, but it was probably the only way for the players to have a real shot at gaining any leverage what so ever in this negotiation which was appearing to be a death march by the players.

The longer the owners sit on the hardcap demand, the more it looks like there was truth to derek fishers story (which I believe there is). The only way out would be for jerry buss to come out and say he wants a hardcap and he is completely on the same page as dan gilbert. That wont happen for a few reasons. 1) Its not true... LOL, 2) it would hurt the publicity of buss and turn his huge fan base against him, 3) The owners arent suppose to go to the media or discuss their stance on the lock out. and 4) There is no way its true!!

todu82
09-16-2011, 12:30 PM
If a deal is as close as Fisher is saying I hope that those who are preventing it get their act together. By acting in this manner those guys are only making themselves look bad.

DoMeFavors
09-16-2011, 12:47 PM
If I remember correctly, they would have to impose a vote between the owners on the deal. So, Gilbert and Sarver are being cockblocking *******s.

I understand, the deal isn't done but I will operate under the assumption there will be a season because I do not see anyone else in that article besides TWO hard headed people that are responsible for their teams issues.

Gilbert failed by not pulling a Dolan and getting Amare to Cleveland when the deal was on the table. Sarver failed by not re-signing Amare and trying to believe he was so broken down player.

It's pathetic we are suffering right now due to their own poor decisions as an organization. We all know Suns do not want to play the 2011-12 season because they will be simply a lottery team. Cleveland tanked from day one, not because of losing LeBron but because they signed a bunch of scrubs last season. Now, they get back some nice talent they want to screw around and be bitter towards players over LeBron. It's sad.

This hold up won't last for long. Stern will eventually come down on those two idiots if there is a season being missed and money being lost. NBA went out with a bang, opening with match ups like Heat/Knicks, Thunder/Lakers, Lakers/Warriors are something I highly doubt Stern and the league will allow if there is some common ground, compromise on the table and those idiots are the only ones upset about it.

Couldn't agree more, its pretty pathetic it seems like some of these people who CHOOSE to be involved in the NBA dont want it to start. Do us a favor and get out of the business!

ink
09-16-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't buy it. Neither side has credibility in this issue. I don't think either side can possibly spin this into a "noble" cause.

Big deal, the owners want a hard cap. Other leagues have one and are doing fine. I'm not pro-owners but that's the racket they're in: if the players want to get up the cash to buy a franchise and take the financial risk, they are welcome to the profits too. That's the way business OF ALL KINDS works, the only difference here is the level of greed because of the dollars involved.

sep11ie
09-16-2011, 02:03 PM
I bet he had to read it for them too.

likemystylez
09-16-2011, 10:16 PM
If a deal is as close as Fisher is saying I hope that those who are preventing it get their act together. By acting in this manner those guys are only making themselves look bad.

for what it is worth, stern said for the first time that all issues are negotiable according to the owners and he spcifically mentioned the hardcap stance. Saying the hardcap is negotiable is clearly a shift from their previous stance. The media didnt emphasize that point enough, but Im SURE the players heard it... and my guess is that the big market owners pulled some rank.... and might be working on some type of revenue plan internally with the hopes of not losing a season when there is by most accounts a very reasonable deal on the table for both sides.