PDA

View Full Version : signs of david kahn being fired in the future ??

smith&wesson
09-14-2011, 11:28 AM
I found this interesting. why would they hire Adelman if they know he doesnt like khan ?? aparently he will be doing his communicating through the team owner and by passing the gm david khan. The timberwolves knowing this hired him any ways ? does that mean david khan is not apart of the future plans in minni ?

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/new-timberwolves-coach-rick-adelman-reportedly-is-no-fan-of-president-david-kahn-560946.html

Sadds The Gr8
09-14-2011, 11:33 AM
they should fire him. the guy's terrible.

smith&wesson
09-14-2011, 11:38 AM

ya, kahns gotta go mang. i think this might be an indication that his days are numbered. cant have a gm and head coach who arent on the same page

sep11ie
09-14-2011, 11:50 AM
^That's how Adleman was the last 2 years with Morey.

smith&wesson
09-14-2011, 12:10 PM
^That's how Adleman was the last 2 years with Morey.

and that resulted in one of them leaving right.

PurpleJesus
09-14-2011, 01:11 PM
the article is based on speculation...dont listen to anything wojanorski writes.

PurpleJesus
09-14-2011, 01:19 PM

sep11ie
09-14-2011, 01:21 PM
and that resulted in one of them leaving right.

I know. Just saying, Rick likes to have his way and his type of players, so I agree that Kahn will be gone.

Chronz
09-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Adelman wants power over roster moves, Im pretty sure he doesnt like most GM's he works for but apparently hes disliked him for a long time before the hire, this is consistent with what Ive heard about Kahns reputation around the league.

Chronz
09-14-2011, 01:56 PM
I know. Just saying, Rick likes to have his way and his type of players, so I agree that Kahn will be gone.
He and Morey never saw eye to eye but he had respect for his genius, from what I heard he gave Adelman alot of wiggle room and took his insight seriously. Its why they surrounded him with some of his former players, guys he wanted.

Hawkeye15
09-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Adelman wants power over roster moves, Im pretty sure he doesnt like most GM's he works for but apparently hes disliked him for a long time before the hire, this is consistent with what Ive heard about Kahns reputation around the league.

yes, I believe this goes back to when Kahn was a beat reporter for the Blazers in the 90's. Or something to that degree. And let's be honest, when Kahn talks, its almost as if he has that, "I am a ton smarter than you" arrogant vibe always kicking.

Adelman has really never gotten along with GM's, he does indeed want control of his rosters, etc. But I think giving him 5 years, with Kahn only having 1 year left, is an obvious sign on who Taylor respects more. And I am fine with that.

sep11ie
09-14-2011, 02:22 PM
He and Morey never saw eye to eye but he had respect for his genius, from what I heard he gave Adelman alot of wiggle room and took his insight seriously. Its why they surrounded him with some of his former players, guys he wanted.

He did surround him with former Adleman types(Brad Miller and Bobby Jackson, but he also gave him the Thabeets and TWill's which Rick pretty much refused to play even in a lost season. He also publicly questioned Morey's moves.

mightybosstone
09-14-2011, 03:01 PM
You know what the sad thing is? Kahn has made some truly atrocious moves over the years, but if Ricky Rubio pans out, Derrick Williams is any good and Minnesota even sniffs .500 next season, he'll come off looking like a genius.

Edit: Looking at that 2009 NBA draft, I don't know how Minnesota fans get through their lives not thinking about it 24/7. With three picks in the first round, they drafted Rubio (who clearly had no desire to play in Minnesota at the time), Flynn (who they traded for Brad freakin' Miller) and Ty Lawson (who they traded that day for a conditional future pick). They could have drafted Steph Curry and DeRozan and kept Lawson and they would have a slew of talented young players around Love right now.

I've seen some bad drafts, but that might go down as the poorest handling of a first round I've ever seen. A child could have done a better job with those picks than Kahn did.

Hawkeye15
09-14-2011, 03:09 PM
You know what the sad thing is? Kahn has made some truly atrocious moves over the years, but if Ricky Rubio pans out, Derrick Williams is any good and Minnesota even sniffs .500 next season, he'll come off looking like a genius.

Edit: Looking at that 2009 NBA draft, I don't know how Minnesota fans get through their lives not thinking about it 24/7. With three picks in the first round, they drafted Rubio (who clearly had no desire to play in Minnesota at the time), Flynn (who they traded for Brad freakin' Miller) and Ty Lawson (who they traded that day for a conditional future pick). They could have drafted Steph Curry and DeRozan and kept Lawson and they would have a slew of talented young players around Love right now.

I've seen some bad drafts, but that might go down as the poorest handling of a first round I've ever seen. A child could have done a better job with those picks than Kahn did.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/12/give-david-kahn-credit-he-hit-a-home-run-this-summer/

concerning the 2009 draft, um, be a Wolves fan for eternity. We are terrible at drafting nearly all of the time.

ChiSox219
09-15-2011, 03:04 PM
I can't wait to watch the T'Wolves next year and I don't think Khan deserves all the criticism he regularly receives.

mightybosstone
09-15-2011, 03:23 PM
I can't wait to watch the T'Wolves next year and I don't think Khan deserves all the criticism he regularly receives.

Are you related to the guy or something? If not, you must be his only fan...

Hawkeye15
09-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Are you related to the guy or something? If not, you must be his only fan...

Kahn absolutely gets criticized way too much. Pull up the roster/payroll/prospects when he took over. Pull it up now.

He has made some mistakes, but he has also turned a financially hamstrung team with minimal talent, minimal picks, and minimal future into a young roster with a lot of talent, financial flexibility, and has signed the best available coach on the market this summer.

The dude is an arrogant sounding person, who just doesn't seem likeable. But he has been a better GM than the media will actually admit to.

smith&wesson
09-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Kahn absolutely gets criticized way too much. Pull up the roster/payroll/prospects when he took over. Pull it up now.

He has made some mistakes, but he has also turned a financially hamstrung team with minimal talent, minimal picks, and minimal future into a young roster with a lot of talent, financial flexibility, and has signed the best available coach on the market this summer.

The dude is an arrogant sounding person, who just doesn't seem likeable. But he has been a better GM than the media will actually admit to.

his trades have been better then his drafting .. hope williams and beasly can pan out together at the 3-4.
also did he hire rick or did the owners >? i cant possibly see why he would hire someone who dislikes him and would probably want to see him out of a job.

cwilson21
09-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Woj hates Kahn and the Kahn/Adelman relationship is way overblown. Read this:

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingdwight?Rick-Adelman-makes-Minnesota-matter-agai=1&blockID=563337&feedID=8351

and this:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-phoney-feud-in-minnesota/

Kahn haters are always gonna be Kahn haters

smith&wesson
09-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Woj hates Kahn and the Kahn/Adelman relationship is way overblown. Read this:

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingdwight?Rick-Adelman-makes-Minnesota-matter-agai=1&blockID=563337&feedID=8351

and this:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-phoney-feud-in-minnesota/

Kahn haters are always gonna be Kahn haters

I dont really hate khan. i actually like the core group of players he has assembled. love, williams, beasly, rubio. . . one of the teams to watch for next season because they have some good young talent.

Hellcrooner
09-15-2011, 04:10 PM
why the hate for the wolves?

smith&wesson
09-15-2011, 04:15 PM
why the hate for the wolves?

whos hating on the wolves ?

Hellcrooner
09-15-2011, 04:24 PM
whos hating on the wolves ?

tons of posters, and tons of media.

mightybosstone
09-15-2011, 04:41 PM

I'm not saying the guy is the worst GM in the league (I'll give that to his Airness), but I think that with all the top picks he has had, he has amassed kind of a disappointing core of players. The 09 draft is inexcusable and Ricky Rubio is still a huge question mark, in my books. Also, I'm still not sure I get the Derrick Williams pick. Unless they plan to move Beasley, why draft Williams?

I will admit that the Beasley trade was one of the more underrated deals of the past few years, and if Rubio pans out, that team has a chance to be pretty good. But looking at all the picks they've had since he's been GM, I feel like they could have gotten MUCH more impressive talent around Love. Hell, they had two chances at Steph Curry and missed twice!

And this last draft didn't make a lot of sense to me either. They made a ton of deals and were way too quick to give up on Jonny Flynn for Brad freakin' Miller's contract and a future first rounder (which will likely be a mid-round pick).

smith&wesson
09-15-2011, 04:44 PM
tons of posters, and tons of media.

i dont recall seeing alot of posters hate on the twolves. the media loves to rip on khan.. MAYBE the hate is directed at khan but not the timberwolves team.

Hawkeye15
09-15-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm not saying the guy is the worst GM in the league (I'll give that to his Airness), but I think that with all the top picks he has had, he has amassed kind of a disappointing core of players. The 09 draft is inexcusable and Ricky Rubio is still a huge question mark, in my books. Also, I'm still not sure I get the Derrick Williams pick. Unless they plan to move Beasley, why draft Williams?

I will admit that the Beasley trade was one of the more underrated deals of the past few years, and if Rubio pans out, that team has a chance to be pretty good. But looking at all the picks they've had since he's been GM, I feel like they could have gotten MUCH more impressive talent around Love. Hell, they had two chances at Steph Curry and missed twice!

And this last draft didn't make a lot of sense to me either. They made a ton of deals and were way too quick to give up on Jonny Flynn for Brad freakin' Miller's contract and a future first rounder (which will likely be a mid-round pick).

You draft Williams because he was clearly the best player available, and a 17 win team doesn't draft for need.

Kahn's drafts haven't gone very well, never understood the Flynn pick. His trades have basically been all wins for him, outside the Jefferson trade, which was basically a dump so Love could assume the role as the PF of the Wolves and to dump Jefferson's salary.

Randolph for Brewer. Foye/Miller for Rubio. Nothing for Beasley. Shelving off any average player over the age of 25 and any big deal for younger talent and flexibility.

Trust me, I don't think he is a great GM by any means. But the media just crucifies this guy.

A summer of landing Rubio, drafting possibly the best player in the draft in Williams, and signing Adelman is a great summer, period.

TomTerrific
09-15-2011, 04:56 PM
I'd love to see him gone... Cannot stand the guy one bit.

As a Timberwolves fan i'm very excited to see this team play... I'm tired of being frustrated everytime I sit down to watch a game. God I miss the KG days...

mightybosstone
09-15-2011, 05:17 PM
You draft Williams because he was clearly the best player available, and a 17 win team doesn't draft for need.

Maybe it's just because I don't have a lot of faith in Williams at the NBA level, but I would have gone with Kanter or Valanciunas over him. Good centers are impossibly hard to come by and Darko isn't going to wake up one day and suddenly become a great center.

I do think the Wolves are a team to watch next season, though. And they could be really good if Williams and Rubio become decent NBA players.

Hawkeye15
09-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Maybe it's just because I don't have a lot of faith in Williams at the NBA level, but I would have gone with Kanter or Valanciunas over him. Good centers are impossibly hard to come by and Darko isn't going to wake up one day and suddenly become a great center.

I do think the Wolves are a team to watch next season, though. And they could be really good if Williams and Rubio become decent NBA players.

Well, Williams was regarded as easily the 2nd best talent, if not the best. And whether its right or wrong, they have asked Randolph to bulk up so he can play some center. I would also imagine that is addressed in FA, when they sign Chuck Hayes haha.

I am going to the games when they come to Houston dude, with a t-shirt that says, "Puppy Time!"

Hawkeye15
09-15-2011, 05:59 PM
and in all reality, even though Kahn was dead honest that he thought this was a 3 year project before we saw results, when a GM takes over for a team winning 24 games or so, and they get worse, that GM will get crapped on. And there is nothing wrong with that. If the Wolves come out and win 35 games next year and are a very competitive team, Kahn will get his due, so I try and not take it personal at all, because I would probably be hard on an arrogant sounding GM from another team if there were no results in the win column, and they sat their best player to begin the season...

mightybosstone
09-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Well, Williams was regarded as easily the 2nd best talent, if not the best. And whether its right or wrong, they have asked Randolph to bulk up so he can play some center. I would also imagine that is addressed in FA, when they sign Chuck Hayes haha.

I am going to the games when they come to Houston dude, with a t-shirt that says, "Puppy Time!"

:laugh: I'm just hoping that the Rockets trade Luis Scola for young guys and draft picks and sign a legit center in free agency. I REALLY want Chuck Hayes back, but I don't want him back at center. I want him as the first big off the bench behind Patterson and a legit 7-footer. Hayes is so underrated as a defender, it's ridiculous.

beasted86
09-15-2011, 07:32 PM
the article is based on speculation...dont listen to anything wojanorski writes.

x100000

Hawkeye15
09-29-2011, 08:28 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7032367/rick-adelman-minnesota-timberwolves-embracing-challenge-building-winner

Adelman has known Kahn for more than 20 years, dating to the days when Adelman coached the Blazers and Kahn was a sports writer for The Oregonian. Shortly after he was hired two weeks ago, there were reports alleging that Adelman was taking the job in spite of Kahn and that the coach disliked the executive.

But both denied those reports on Wednesday and said they looked forward to forging a close, collaborative working relationship.

"I wouldn't be here if that was the case," Adelman said. "I don't know where that came from. People talk all the time. We've known each other for 25 years. I started talking to him a week after I got back from Houston. We had a lot of discussion. I don't know where that came from, but why would I want to come to a place and work with somebody that I didn't like?"

Kahn said any reports of a bad relationship were "pure fiction."

"It's always been easy for me, I've known Rick for 25 years, to talk basketball with him," Kahn said. "At the same time, we're not friends in the sense of we don't socialize. We don't hang out together. We didn't back then and that's not the relationship I think we'll have here.

"But on basketball matters, it's always been easy to talk to him just as it will continue to be easy to talk to him about our team."

hate to bump an old thread, but can we be done with this?

Foye
09-29-2011, 08:35 AM
That pretty much confirms what we already knew. Woj just tried hard to make a story while having no facts or proof for that at all.

Terrible writer.

Hawkeye15
09-29-2011, 11:01 AM
That pretty much confirms what we already knew. Woj just tried hard to make a story while having no facts or proof for that at all.

Terrible writer.

as much as it pains me to admit this, Woj is a good writer, and many of his leads end up legit. He just has a few teams and players (Wolves and LeBron being examples), that he takes any and every opportunity to crap on.

topdog
09-29-2011, 11:37 AM
I think it's funny that people say they think Kahn is stupid and should be gone but then talk about how they're excited to see the team play. Kahn built that team.

For Minny fans, he's been a breath of fresh air (when he's been on the telephones and not the radio) after years of terrible moves by McHale. And I always hear people who don't like him talking about the '09 draft when the the reality was that it was widely considered a very "weak" draft and sort of a crapshoot. He managed to come out even in my book by trading spare parts for Rubio and getting a pick in the next draft while ill-fatedly selecting Flynn and passing on a couple guys who turned out to be very credible pgs.

smith&wesson
09-29-2011, 12:19 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7032367/rick-adelman-minnesota-timberwolves-embracing-challenge-building-winner

hate to bump an old thread, but can we be done with this?

ya i saw this on tv the other day ... seems like theyre relationship is fine. close thread if need be, we got our answer.

Sly Guy
09-29-2011, 12:24 PM

they should, but that cat's got 9 lives.

CeeDub15
09-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah, idk why Kahn gets all the hate. He has made a few mistakes in the draft, alot of teams have though, but he has been pretty good in trades. He has also formed this team that alot of people are excited about and got Adelman to come here. Obviously the talent was prolly got him here, but Kahn did a great job with letting him have his space and thinking about it, doesnt sound like Adelman would have come if it wasnt for how Kahn handled it.