PDA

View Full Version : Mariano Rivera save #600, #601, #602.

09-14-2011, 12:48 AM
Mo picked up save #602 against the Twins to pass Hoffman as the all-time saves leader.

Jeffy25
09-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Got it on :)

09-14-2011, 12:58 AM
1 more to go.

09-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Nice way to end the game and get #600.

Jeffy25
09-14-2011, 01:00 AM
That was cool

DJakk
09-14-2011, 01:02 AM
I am excited for this and I am a Red Sox fan. I think that just shows what his legacy means to baseball.

More-Than-Most
09-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Hoffman and Rivera... Any chance we see anything similar to these 2 ever again... I mean when it comes to the amount of saves... I could be wrong but it seems hard for closers to stay consistently good for long periods of time.

dbroncos78087
09-14-2011, 01:10 AM
Hoffman and Rivera... Any chance we see anything similar to these 2 ever again... I mean when it comes to the amount of saves... I could be wrong but it seems hard for closers to stay consistently good for long periods of time.

Not only that, but if im not mistaken the rules make it harder to get a save. If they came in 5 years ago and the game was 11-1 they got credit for a save despite nothing being on the line. I believe the game has to be within reach for them to get credit now.

That isnt to take anything away from Rivera. I think he is a 1st ballot HOFer and if he doesnt get 100% of the vote it will be a true failure. This is coming from a Sox fan for the record.

Jeffy25
09-14-2011, 01:17 AM

I think it's very likely.
I know Kimbrel is very young, but he is obviously very dominant. And remember Mo and Hoffman didn't start getting saves until they were a bit older. At some point, a good pitcher will be given this opportunity at a young age and will be able to pitch as long as each of these guys.

Rivera would likely be an ace starter if they had made him a starter. But I just think being a closer is a lot easier, and that the save stat is over-rated. I think we'll see someone reach 700 saves in our lifetimes.

Pavelb1
09-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Not only that, but if im not mistaken the rules make it harder to get a save. If they came in 5 years ago and the game was 11-1 they got credit for a save despite nothing being on the line. I believe the game has to be within reach for them to get credit now.That isnt to take anything away from Rivera. I think he is a 1st ballot HOFer and if he doesnt get 100% of the vote it will be a true failure. This is coming from a Sox fan for the record.

No. The saves rule hasn't changed since 1975.

And he will not get 100% of the vote.

And Mariano did start his career as a starter. "mmm...not so good Al."

Jeffy25
09-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Not only that, but if im not mistaken the rules make it harder to get a save. If they came in 5 years ago and the game was 11-1 they got credit for a save despite nothing being on the line. I believe the game has to be within reach for them to get credit now.

That isnt to take anything away from Rivera. I think he is a 1st ballot HOFer and if he doesnt get 100% of the vote it will be a true failure. This is coming from a Sox fan for the record.

The stat itself and it's criteria hasn't changed since 1969.

3 runs or less and the final 3 outs. 2 runs or less and the final 2 outs, or 1 run and the final out.

Last three innings of a game, regardless of score (have to hold a lead) and then depending on base runners and situations, it can be computed.

But if Mo ever pitched just the 8th and 9th or just the 9th inning in a 11-1 game, he would never have landed a save.

(I think that is what you were saying)

More-Than-Most
09-14-2011, 01:22 AM
I know Kimbrel is very young, but he is obviously very dominant. And remember Mo and Hoffman didn't start getting saves until they were a bit older. At some point, a good pitcher will be given this opportunity at a young age and will be able to pitch as long as each of these guys.

Rivera would likely be an ace starter if they had made him a starter. But I just think being a closer is a lot easier, and that the save stat is over-rated. I think we'll see someone reach 700 saves in our lifetimes.

Mo might reach 700...Even someone like Kimbrel... He would have to put up 40 saves a season for 15 seasons... That is insane Lol... You also have to hope for the right team as well... One like the Yanks that can stay consistently good over a very long period of time.

09-14-2011, 01:33 AM
Mo may have started to collect saves at an older age (27) however he is making up for that by still being dominant at 41. He will be 42 when his contract is up and if he is still pitching like this it would not be a surprise if the Yankees give him a 1-2 year contract until he 43-44. Mo could approach or reach 700 by the time he is done. It would take 40 saves per season for a little over 16 seasons to reach 650. Even if a young closer starts at 22 he would need to still be good until he is 38-39.

Jeffy25
09-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Mo might reach 700...Even someone like Kimbrel... He would have to put up 40 saves a season for 15 seasons... That is insane Lol... You also have to hope for the right team as well... One like the Yanks that can stay consistently good over a very long period of time.

And you have to stay healthy as well lol.

But I agree.

Joemoes
09-14-2011, 03:48 AM
The only guys who have a shot are Huston street(187) Paplebon(200or so) and Francisco Rodriguez(291). I think K-rod has best shot if he starts closing again he's only 29. Paplebon prolly gets to 500 and I don't think street makes it that far in career due to injuries.

It will be 15 years outside of those three before we see anything close. Which is kind of cool because these two guys formed this club. I mean we have seen a fair amount of milestones in past few years with homerun clubs and hits clubs. We have the potential to see 4 members of 3000 hit club in next two years with Damon Arod pudge and Omar.

Joemoes
09-14-2011, 03:50 AM
And I hope they bring posada in to catch for Mo on the record save. Posada defensive replacement heh.

Joemoes
09-14-2011, 04:07 AM

Mo was a failed starter he shined as a reliever most relievers are failed starters. So mo would not of been an ace starter.

09-14-2011, 04:20 AM
I actually like Mo, and congrats to him. He's certainly good at what he does. But I'm of the closers and saves are overrated school myself.

The old timers that would regularly pitch complete games were more impressive IMO. I can remember (just from memory) Harvey Haddix (Pirates) pitching a no-hitter thru nine, staying in the game, only to lose it in the 11th or 12th inning (or something like that).

ricomactaco
09-14-2011, 06:47 AM
As a Red Sox fan I'm in amazement of his ability to be so dominant at his age. No other reliever like him ever.

Pinstripe pride
09-14-2011, 08:46 AM
mariano rivera is good at baseball

NYYrdbest
09-14-2011, 08:50 AM
[QUOTE=Rivera would likely be an ace starter if they had made him a starter. But I just think being a closer is a lot easier, and that the save stat is over-rated. I think we'll see someone reach 700 saves in our lifetimes.[/QUOTE]

We are lucky to see this and for the record I don't think that we'll ever see someone reaching 700 saves, aside from Mariano himself. In fact, chances are that even 600 will be very tough. The only reliever that might get close will be Papelbone.

NYYrdbest
09-14-2011, 08:54 AM
I think that Mariano Riverahe is a 1st ballot HOFer and probably will be the first player to get 100% votes. There is no reason for any voter not to elect Mariano the very first time around. Think of this... great during regular seasons, but even better on post season!!!

homie564
09-14-2011, 09:07 AM
I always wanted Mo to be a Red Sox, and I hate myself for hme being arguably my favorite reliever of all time... even as a Red Sox fan. I believe Mo is the only reliever that will ever come close to 700 saves. though i believe he will end somewhere around 650-660 tops.

ManningToTyree
09-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Even if someone breaks Mo's record down the line I will still most likely view him as the greatest Closer of All-time

ManningToTyree
09-14-2011, 09:25 AM
I think that Mariano Riverahe is a 1st ballot HOFer and probably will be the first player to get 100% votes. There is no reason for any voter not to elect Mariano the very first time around. Think of this... great during regular seasons, but even better on post season!!!

There are plenty of other players that deserved a unanimous vote and didn't get it. If guys like Mays, Williams, and Aaron didn't get 100% neither will Mo or anyone else

DieHardColtsfan
09-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Hopefully 9/19 he breaks it, I am going :)

Pinstripe pride
09-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Hopefully 9/19 he breaks it, I am going :)

i doubt it. bet he gets it over the weekend

infernoscurse
09-14-2011, 10:37 AM
700 saves? i can easily see MO retire next year with 630 - 640 saves maybe less

hes the best closer of all time but I keep seeing the signs that hes so close to the end

nycericanguy
09-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Mo was a failed starter he shined as a reliever most relievers are failed starters. So mo would not of been an ace starter.

Can't really say that definitively. The yankees tend to have a real short leash for young pitchers, see Ian Kennedy. Mo got all of 10 starts before he was moved to the pen. His stuff was filthy when he first came up, he just didn't have command as a starter.

As far as anyone reaching 600, well there have been some pretty dominant closers, but they all seem to flame out after a few years. They have a short shelf life. MO at 42 is still elite, he's not just out there hanging on. Thats what separates him.

es0terik
09-14-2011, 11:31 AM
so there will not be three threads on Rivera when he reaches #600, ties Hoffman with #601, and passes Hoffman with #602.
Exactly why I made the 599 thread, but okay.

09-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Exactly why I made the 599 thread, but okay.

Your thread is more about if Mo will be the first player elected unanimously into the hall of fame. Pretty much the only thing being discussed in that thread. If you wanted to make a thread on the lead up to 602 and the eventual record stick to the topic and do not throw in additional topics.

Joemoes
09-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Can't really say that definitively. The yankees tend to have a real short leash for young pitchers, see Ian Kennedy. Mo got all of 10 starts before he was moved to the pen. His stuff was filthy when he first came up, he just didn't have command as a starter.

As far as anyone reaching 600, well there have been some pretty dominant closers, but they all seem to flame out after a few years. They have a short shelf life. MO at 42 is still elite, he's not just out there hanging on. Thats what separates him.

Ty he didn't have the command to be an ace. An ace has all aspects command control speed extra pitches.

Jeffy25
09-14-2011, 02:29 PM

Mo was also a different pitcher in 95 and was no where near his peak level yet.

You can't say he would have failed based on like 10 starts.

I will bet anything, if they had stretched him out, he would have been a very dominant starter.

"Ace"ves
09-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Mo was also a different pitcher in 95 and was no where near his peak level yet.

You can't say he would have failed based on like 10 starts.

I will bet anything, if they had stretched him out, he would have been a very dominant starter.

True you can't say he failed based on 10 starts

But you can't say he would've been a dominant starter if they stretched him out

Jeffy25
09-14-2011, 04:03 PM
True you can't say he failed based on 10 starts

But you can't say he would've been a dominant starter if they stretched him out

This is a fact.

The what would of happened and the what if game are so speculative that it's hard to place truth to them.

But I feel confident that Mo would have been an above average starter if stretched out. He was too dominant in the role he had, and it's not like people started hitting Mo the more they have seen him. He is just a truly dominant pitcher.

Now could he handle 6 plus innings or not is a completely different discussion.

knicks=love
09-14-2011, 04:04 PM
No. The saves rule hasn't changed since 1975.

And he will not get 100% of the vote.

And Mariano did start his career as a starter. "mmm...not so good Al."

which drug are you on? :shrug:

nycericanguy
09-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Ty he didn't have the command to be an ace. An ace has all aspects command control speed extra pitches.

:confused:

MO has better command than arguably any pitcher in history.

my point was he was never given a long enough look as a starter, not that he could not be an ace.

I mean even greg maddux was pretty wild when he first came up, he had no command, he walked a ton of batters per 9 inning his first few seasons.

"Ace"ves
09-14-2011, 05:35 PM
This is a fact.

The what would of happened and the what if game are so speculative that it's hard to place truth to them.

But I feel confident that Mo would have been an above average starter if stretched out. He was too dominant in the role he had, and it's not like people started hitting Mo the more they have seen him. He is just a truly dominant pitcher.

Now could he handle 6 plus innings or not is a completely different discussion.

What's fact?

To say Mo failed because his inconsistency when starting is subjective. No one knows what would've happened if he remained.

May have failed, may have succeeded.

Ever consider seeing Mo more than once in the same game would be helpful? Seeing him once every 2 months might be difficult, see 4-7 pitches in an at bat, then 2 months later you see another 4-7. As opposed to you seeing him 3 times in a GAME. And talking with 8 other batters who saw him.

Just don't assume that's a fact. Neither his success or failure is a fact

Jeffy25
09-14-2011, 06:07 PM
What's fact?

To say Mo failed because his inconsistency when starting is subjective. No one knows what would've happened if he remained.

May have failed, may have succeeded.

Ever consider seeing Mo more than once in the same game would be helpful? Seeing him once every 2 months might be difficult, see 4-7 pitches in an at bat, then 2 months later you see another 4-7. As opposed to you seeing him 3 times in a GAME. And talking with 8 other batters who saw him.

Just don't assume that's a fact. Neither his success or failure is a fact

I'm not assuming anything is a fact, I was saying your last post was a fact lol.

What he would have done we don't know. Eck was made into a closer because he was dominant for three innings, and then started to implode in the 4th. Maybe Mo would have had the same issue, we have no way of knowing.

Joemoes
09-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Best case scenario I believe mo would have been a 5 inning 8 strike out guy.

MetsFanatic19
09-14-2011, 06:37 PM
congrats to him. a great career definitly deserves the saves record

"Ace"ves
09-14-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm not assuming anything is a fact, I was saying your last post was a fact lol.

What he would have done we don't know. Eck was made into a closer because he was dominant for three innings, and then started to implode in the 4th. Maybe Mo would have had the same issue, we have no way of knowing.

oh my bad Jeffy!

agreed :)

jd25213
09-15-2011, 01:46 AM
Yankees lost 2-1 in the 12th tonight, so Mo never pitched.

Tragedy
09-15-2011, 02:07 AM
I remember reading an article about how at least one of the voters for Hall of Fame REFUSES to ever vote anyone from this era in because of the question of steroids. So, no ones getting 100%. If Ripken didn't, no one will.

DodgerB24
09-15-2011, 02:31 AM

Reality.

Pinstripe pride
09-15-2011, 09:21 AM

while he's the greatest closer ever, voters aren't really enamoured wiotht he whole clsoer concept. so its highly likely he won't get 100% of the vote

billybuck
09-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Mariano Rivera's dominance can't really be measured in the save statistic. He is a prolific pitcher.
I would venture to say that he is up there with Greg Maddux, Pedro Martinez, and possibly Randy Johnson as one of the best pitchers of the past thirty years, starter or reliever. It's funny, I remember seeing Rivera and Jeter playing in Greensboro years ago. I'm not a fan of Jeter's, but Rivera is lights out great! Hoffman, Lee Smith, Fransisco Rodriguez, et al couldn't hold a candle to Mariano.

Yanks All Day
09-17-2011, 10:38 AM
What's so impressive to me is that he essentially has done it with one pitch. Hitters know what's coming, they just can't hit it.

F*(&"Next Year"
09-17-2011, 10:51 AM
What's so impressive to me is that he essentially has done it with one pitch. Hitters know what's coming, they just can't hit it.

That cutter must give so many player's nightmares.

billybuck
09-17-2011, 11:06 AM
What's he got, like a 2.22 ERA for his entire career? incredible.

oak2455
09-17-2011, 11:13 AM
That cutter must give so many player's nightmares.

was it the all star game few years ago... a group of players were watching him how he throws his cutter ....it was like a clinic...pretty funny

nyyfan4life
09-17-2011, 04:15 PM
He tied Hoff today..

Jeffy25
09-17-2011, 04:38 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19315607

Jeffy25
09-17-2011, 04:39 PM
was it the all star game few years ago... a group of players were watching him how he throws his cutter ....it was like a clinic...pretty funny

Yeah K-Rod was trying so hard to learn it perfectly. I remember that.

09-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Witnessed #601 live today. I have chance to see #602 tomorrow.

Crucis
09-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Mariano Rivera's dominance can't really be measured in the save statistic. He is a prolific pitcher.
I would venture to say that he is up there with Greg Maddux, Pedro Martinez, and possibly Randy Johnson as one of the best pitchers of the past thirty years, starter or reliever. It's funny, I remember seeing Rivera and Jeter playing in Greensboro years ago. I'm not a fan of Jeter's, but Rivera is lights out great! Hoffman, Lee Smith, Fransisco Rodriguez, et al couldn't hold a candle to Mariano.

I agree, though I hesitate to compare him to dominant starting pitchers. I'd rather put him in the pantheon of great closers.

Regardless, he's a class act. I remember back in 2005 when the Sox had the Yanks at Fenway for opening day, and the WS banner raising and so on... When the Yanks players were being introduced, all of them were getting the traditional boos that all Yankees players get for wearing the enemy laundry... except for Mariano. He got a huge cheer ... because he was the one responsible for allowing the runs that allowed the Sox to tied games 4 and 5! And he was classy enough to accept the mocking cheers with complete grace and a smile and a wave to the crowd. And he and Jeter (?) were chuckling about it as the announcer moved on to the next players to be named. Very classy.

09-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I agree, though I hesitate to compare him to dominant starting pitchers. I'd rather put him in the pantheon of great closers.

Regardless, he's a class act. I remember back in 2005 when the Sox had the Yanks at Fenway for opening day, and the WS banner raising and so on... When the Yanks players were being introduced, all of them were getting the traditional boos that all Yankees players get for wearing the enemy laundry... except for Mariano. He got a huge cheer ... because he was the one responsible for allowing the runs that allowed the Sox to tied games 4 and 5! And he was classy enough to accept the mocking cheers with complete grace and a smile and a wave to the crowd. And he and Jeter (?) were chuckling about it as the announcer moved on to the next players to be named. Very classy.

I remember hearing that of all the players that have entered the green monster and written their names the operators in there said Mo was the nicest player they have ever met (including Red Sox players).

MooseWithFleas
09-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Best closer of all time. Enter Sandman. 1 more Mo!

nycericanguy
09-17-2011, 07:23 PM
16 years, and he's been so good that you can remember the blown saves easily.

game 4 against Alomar and CLE - 1997
2001- luiz gonzalez broken bat bloop, game 7 WS
2004 - games 4 & 5 against BOS

one of the most dominant postseason pitchers ever.

No Fun League
09-17-2011, 08:13 PM
while he's the greatest closer ever, voters aren't really enamoured wiotht he whole clsoer concept. so its highly likely he won't get 100% of the vote

He won't get 100% cause of where he has played his whole career. Yes they look at that. He's been on a good team most of his career. I know it's not his fault but thats what they will look at. They will question, well if he was on another team would he even be close to 600 saves. But what's the difference he's going in the HOF.

Crucis
09-17-2011, 10:41 PM
While he's the greatest closer ever, voters aren't really enamoured with the whole closer concept. So its highly likely he won't get 100% of the vote

Well, if you're talking about the first time on the HOF ballot, no one has ever been a unanimous first timer. (Heck, I don't know if there's ever been a unanimous entrant into the HOF.) And frankly, I don't think that Mariano's going to get a second HOF vote cuz he'll get in on the first ballot, unanimous or not.

As for this entire wouldn't vote for the guy cuz the some HOF voters aren't thrilled with the entire closer concept, well, eff'em. The closer may be an iffy idea in some people's eyes, and that's fine. But that's not a legit reason to vote against a closer for the HOF to me. Mariano filled the bullpen role that his managers asked of him, and he's done it so well that many consider him the best ever at it. That's HOF worthy. Beyond that, some people think that the HOF should really be only for the most dominant players of their era. I'd say that Mariano more than qualifies by that standard as well. No one would ever say that Mariano only deserves to go into the Hall of "Very Good". No, 5 years after he retires, the HOF will be putting up his plaque in Cooperstown. They won't be having to question what he he should wear, or does he really deserve to be there. Everyone will know that he is a ball player that truly deserves to be enshrined with the other greats of the game.

TrueYankee
09-17-2011, 11:46 PM
I wonder if he ever ages? When he got #600 he threw a pitch at 94mph. That was his 4SFB at the age of 41. He throws his cutter consistently at 91-92 mph. Just an unbelievable 16 years from a class act. Congrats to him, hope he breaks the record at home though

Knoblauch's Arm
09-18-2011, 02:54 AM
He won't get 100% cause of where he has played his whole career. Yes they look at that. He's been on a good team most of his career. I know it's not his fault but thats what they will look at. They will question, well if he was on another team would he even be close to 600 saves. But what's the difference he's going in the HOF.

I don't think he'll get 100% either, but playing for the Yankees isn't a good reason. They've had stud hitters for years and Mo actually loses out on save opportunities when the hitters are on a roll. Can't save games the Yanks win 10-5 etc.

"Ace"ves
09-18-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't think he'll get 100% either, but playing for the Yankees isn't a good reason. They've had stud hitters for years and Mo actually loses out on save opportunities when the hitters are on a roll. Can't save games the Yanks win 10-5 etc.

love your name

Johann
09-19-2011, 04:31 PM
:clap:

Passes Hoffman for #1 on the all-time saves list.

Johann
09-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Lol, there has to be a record breaking thread!!!

metsfaninSTL
09-19-2011, 04:34 PM
no surprise

09-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Lol, there has to be a record breaking thread!!!

That is what this thread is for. #602 for Mo.

Havoc Wreaker
09-19-2011, 04:37 PM
:clap: Not agree at all at how closers are used these days, but it's a great accomplishment and he's been dominant for so long. To be this good at age 42 :clap:

Way to Go Mo

Strike89
09-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Congrats to Mo. Great accomplishment.

Johann
09-19-2011, 04:58 PM
:clap: Not agree at all at how closers are used these days, but it's a great accomplishment and he's been dominant for so long. To be this good at age 42 :clap:

Way to Go Mo

and his 42nd save.

VenezuelanMet
09-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Congrats to Mo. Best 1 inning pitcher ever.

09-19-2011, 05:02 PM
and his 42nd save.

43rd save and he is 41.

Johann
09-19-2011, 05:15 PM
43rd save and he is 41.

lol. I should really catch up on my yankees stats :rolleyes:

CostanzaNumba0
09-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Goat

colinskik
09-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Remember all of those 2 inning saves he used to get? Doesn't appear that you do.

TrueYankee
09-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Rivera congrats and you can honestly keep pitching until your 60 for all we know. Every year you pitch the same, consistenly, effectively, and dominately. Once again, congrats to one of the best Yankees to play the game. Hall of Fame is in your future.

Jeffy25
09-19-2011, 05:40 PM
What makes me laugh, is remembering all the times people used to think that Rivera lied about his age, and that he was older than he was.

Where are those posters now?

Cause if he was lying, then dude is hella old today.

nysportsfan02
09-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Ironic coming from a Mets fan ,when their team has no closer now and had none before they signed KRod.

If anyone knows how important a closer is, it would be Mets fans.

J4KOP99
09-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Plays the game the way it is meant to be played.

Yanks All Day
09-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Remember in August when he blew 2 saves, had a sore triceps muscle, and was done?

1.98 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, 43 Saves, 5 BS, 57 K, 7 BB, 3 HR in 59.0 IP at 41 years old is incredible. Congrats to Mo on the saves record, and here's hoping he pitches for as long as possible. True class act. Couldn't happen to a better person.

MooseWithFleas
09-19-2011, 08:23 PM
G.O.A.T. Congrats Mo!

Tragedy
09-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Congrats to Mo. The greatest Closer in the history of the game before breaking the record. This only helps cement it for those that had any doubt. He's had an unbelievable career thanks to ONE pitch - He's so god damn good and it's been fun watching him all these years from afar.

MetsFanatic19
09-19-2011, 08:45 PM
congrats to mo. if only he coulda done it on the other side of town

DieHardColtsfan
09-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Wooooo

I was at the game today. I witnessed history!

Immoknight
09-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Couldn't happen to a better person than Mariano Rivera. Congratulation on 602, thank you for everything you have done for the Yankees. Continue doing it for as long as you want, because I can tell Mariano Rivera is the kind of player that will stop when he can't contribute in a meaningful way.