PDA

View Full Version : NBA talks at stalemate, start of season imperiled

Punk
09-13-2011, 06:08 PM
NEW YORK -- Full committees of NBA owners and players met Tuesday with a hint of progress on the economic split but no signs of compromise on the hard salary cap owners are trying to impose.

After five hours -- most of it spent with each side symbolically huddled amongst themselves, apropos of their deeply entrenched bargaining stances -- National Basketball Players Association executive director Billy Hunter and president Derek Fisher warned that it appears the season will not start on time. Hunter said he has advised players that they "may have to sit out half the season before we get a deal."

"We can't come out of here thinking that training camps and preseason are going to start on time," Fisher said.

Commissioner David Stern did not share that dour outlook, saying emphatically that owners would not cancel training camps or preseason games at the Board of Governors meeting in Dallas Thursday. Appropriate to their diametrically opposed positions on changes to the cap system the owners have proposed, each side blamed the other for the breakdown in talks.

After three seemingly productive meetings among only the highest-level negotiators in recent weeks, Hunter said the players insisted that the full bargaining teams be brought in Tuesday to see if compromise could be achieved before each side holds a significant meeting Thursday, when the players will convene in Las Vegas. The players were "prepared to compromise somewhat" on their share of revenues, which they'd previously proposed reducing from 57 percent to 54.3 percent.

"The owners are not inclined at this stage to move off the position where they've anchored themselves," Hunter said, adding that players remain steadfast against accepting a system that distributes the money to players via a hard cap.

Stern and deputy commissioner Adam Silver told a diferent story, saying the players signaled their willingness to compromise on dollars only if the owners agreed in advance that the system -- with a soft cap, luxury tax, and various spending exceptions -- would remain largely intact. The owners huddled -- for about three of the 5 1-2 hour, Hunter said -- and emerged to reject the players' request. Neither side actually made a formal proposal Tuesday.

Stern called the players' opposition to a hard cap "an emotional attachment," while Hunter argued that it would depress player salaries -- a point that Silver vehemently disputed.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/31955878
Well...Atleast there is two more meetings. If that means anything at this point.

The better news is no talks about a canceled season, Instead we are hearing about missing the start.

Hellcrooner
09-13-2011, 06:13 PM
i say let em all get some haloperidol before next meeting.

DoMeFavors
09-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Thought they agreed not to talk to the media about what went on the in meeting, like I said this meeting could go really well or it could do bad where there are no future meetings. I wont stop watching NBA but I hope some do because it really gets me mad that this is happening.

CavsYanksDuke
09-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Getting so sick of reading these reports. One day they'll be crazy optimistic, then the next Stern is calling all the players jerks.

People with too much money.

Hellcrooner
09-13-2011, 06:28 PM
btw, why do they need a hard cap?

i mean, cant owners say, hey dudes lets make an under the table agreement to not overpay for players.....

oak2455
09-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Thought they agreed not to talk to the media about what went on the in meeting, like I said this meeting could go really well or it could do bad where there are no future meetings. I wont stop watching NBA but I hope some do because it really gets me mad that this is happening.

you know whats gonna happen.... if they do miss the season..the NBA will go back to square one.....popularity will go down... where it reached a all time high:facepalm:

Stuckey#3
09-13-2011, 06:49 PM
i say let em all get some haloperidol before next meeting.

Antipsychotics might be going a little too far... they should just invite Michael Beasley and Josh Howard.

NYman15
09-13-2011, 06:59 PM
I've been pessimistic from the start and today was definitely not a good day and to me it pretty much guarantees games will be misses. Unless, they can write up and agree to a new deal very soon, games will be miss as they sill need to have a free agency period as well as a training camp. I think its gonna end up a shortened season or maybe even no season at all.

likemystylez
09-13-2011, 07:04 PM
btw, why do they need a hard cap?

i mean, cant owners say, hey dudes lets make an under the table agreement to not overpay for players.....

LMAO... the owners who can spend money have no problem paying what it takes to win.

The owners who cant spend money are in an endless hole. THey dont have the fans to support them financially enough to bring in big name free agents (or even the players they currently have)... thus they dont have as good of a team, and thus they have some of their current fans becoming less interested and things continue to get worse and worse.

An under the table deal like that amongst the owners is unlikely. They answer is profit sharing... but the rich succesful owners dont want to financially help other teams compete with them. A lot of teams saved up for years to get good players and stuff.... they dont want to help the teams who signed repeated horrible contracts to players that arent helping them.

If you blame one side, its clearly the owners. owners have the option to turn down any contract, unfortunately sometimes the owners will have to choose between making money and having a good team. (owners dont think those options should be mutually exclusive though)

lurkinglionsfan
09-13-2011, 07:13 PM
LMAO... the owners who can spend money have no problem paying what it takes to win.

The owners who cant spend money are in an endless hole. THey dont have the fans to support them financially enough to bring in big name free agents (or even the players they currently have)... thus they dont have as good of a team, and thus they have some of their current fans becoming less interested and things continue to get worse and worse.

An under the table deal like that amongst the owners is unlikely. They answer is profit sharing... but the rich succesful owners dont want to financially help other teams compete with them. A lot of teams saved up for years to get good players and stuff.... they dont want to help the teams who signed repeated horrible contracts to players that arent helping them.

If you blame one side, its clearly the owners. owners have the option to turn down any contract, unfortunately sometimes the owners will have to choose between making money and having a good team. (owners dont think those options should be mutually exclusive though)

this is why small market teams ( memphis, utah and NO) want it and the larger market teams don't (LA,NY,dallas)

likemystylez
09-13-2011, 08:47 PM
There are posisble talks about decertification depending on what happened with the NLRB towards the end of the month.

I was wondering if anybody on here knew exactly what it meant for a union to de-certify, and what it could mean for this lock out.

From my understanding, de-certification by the players would basically being letting the owners decide the conditions of the new cba, and players would opt to join the league or not one by one as oppose to the owners negotiationg with the union.

Im picturing that it would be a situation similer to "The replacements" with keanno Reeves where players would "cross over" one by one when they agreed to the new labor rules.

Does anybody have a real definition of decertification?