PDA

View Full Version : One Question bout Nba being Global

Hellcrooner
09-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Many players have come from other countrys to the league, its been showcased and broadcasted in Half the world.
But, in terms of interest by fans, is it really cathing up?, is it really so popular?

It is leaps and bounds beyond soccer obviously, id argue that in the Whole American continent from Canada to argentina Baseball is too a more popular sport, i wouldnt count on it being more popular than Tennis or F1.

And then theres an indicate, check nba forum in psd, there are several thousend users.
How many non America/canada ones?

id say no more than 20 or 25 accounts.

So, has Stern really done such a good Job on teh globalitation of the sport?

Or is just circumstancial the low number of international posters in these boards?
Any other explanation?

jimbobjarree
09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
croonglish?

Robbw241
09-13-2011, 01:42 PM
So because PSD doesn't have a lot of international posters, Stern is doing a bad job? God I hate Stern but this is just ridiculous

jimbobjarree
09-13-2011, 01:48 PM
its all sterns fault my country prefers soccer to basketball

Ebbs
09-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Yea croon if you did some googling you could probably find some solid numbers. But your feeling based on a rough guess of psd users is hardly anything worth considering.

Robbw241
09-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Wrigs and SI should sue Stern so bad! Lets riot

Swashcuff
09-13-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm from Trinidad and Tobago and I am one of the more known posters on here. I think the NBA's global impact is just fine. I know MANY people from the Caribbean who have a comprehensive knowledge of the game.

In my part of the world the NBA is easily the most popular North American Sports league. EASILY. I don't credit that to Stern however more to Michael, Magic and Bird.

jimbobjarree
this is probably what the london riots were about

Swashcuff
its all sterns fault my country prefers soccer to basketball

and Cricket

jimbobjarree
09-13-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm from Trinidad and Tobago and I am one of the more known posters on here. I think the NBA's global impact is just fine. I know MANY people from the Caribbean who have a comprehensive knowledge of the game.

In my part of the world the NBA is easily the most popular North American Sports league. EASILY. I don't credit that to Stern however more to Michael, Magic and Bird.

you were born on 2 different islands? :speechless:

jimbobjarree
09-13-2011, 01:53 PM
and Cricket

number 1 in the world baby!

Swashcuff
09-13-2011, 01:55 PM
you were born on 2 different islands? :speechless:

Yup I came out in Trinidad but they cut my umbilical cord in Tobago. ;)

Swashcuff
09-13-2011, 01:55 PM
number 1 in the world baby!

:win:

Hellcrooner
09-13-2011, 02:02 PM

Mmm being an ex english colony makes sense that it would be more interested in cricket than in baseball ( not the case a few miles down).

But tell me , who is more popular in your place, Dwight Yorke or Allen iverson.

Swashcuff
09-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Mmm being an ex english colony makes sense that it would be more interested in cricket than in baseball ( not the case a few miles down).

But tell me , who is more popular in your place, Dwight Yorke or Allen iverson.

Yorke by a long shot, he's a native. Football (soccer) is also our most popular sport by a mile, even more so than cricket.

Hellcrooner
09-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Yea croon if you did some googling you could probably find some solid numbers. But your feeling based on a rough guess of psd users is hardly anything worth considering.

FInd me a good explanetion to the low number of I posters.

Ive seen boards bout soccer where people post from all over the world.

Its not only here, if you check ESPN chat wraps and comments the foreign presence its slight, whilst if you entern say tennis zone in espn there will be more people commenting ( obviously a lot of Spaniards, Serbians and Swiss but still)

making a similarity, if Nadal, Fed and Djoko pull a lot of people to comment on Espn tennis shouldnt psd be filled of SPAUniards, Dirktchlands and Argentmanuers and Tony the Frenchmens ( i understand censorship on the web can stop the Ming DInasty from posting).

Shmontaine
09-13-2011, 02:16 PM
http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/06/10/nba_woos_a_world_audience/?page=full

Efforts to court consumers abroad appear to be working. International sales make up 35 percent of the NBA’s overall merchandise business, and are expected to soar another 30 percent this year. More than half of NBA.com's traffic is from outside America — more than for any other sports league — and NBA.com/china is averaging 7.5 million page views during the finals, about one-third of all traffic to NBA.com.

And so the finals have become a global affair, with coverage broadcast live to more international stations, websites, and other channels than ever in 215 countries and territories and in 41 languages.

Croon, this took literally 30 seconds for me to find...

do you think that the fact that this site is and English speaking site may have more to do with few foreign posters??

Swashcuff
09-13-2011, 02:24 PM
FInd me a good explanetion to the low number of I posters.

Ive seen boards bout soccer where people post from all over the world.

Its not only here, if you check ESPN chat wraps and comments the foreign presence its slight, whilst if you entern say tennis zone in espn there will be more people commenting ( obviously a lot of Spaniards, Serbians and Swiss but still)

making a similarity, if Nadal, Fed and Djoko pull a lot of people to comment on Espn tennis shouldnt psd be filled of SPAUniards, Dirktchlands and Argentmanuers and Tony the Frenchmens ( i understand censorship on the web can stop the Ming DInasty from posting).

Soccer expands to every corner of the earth Croon. I understand your POV however.

I have a question are those boards American? Because while soccer is the sport with the most youth leagues in America it's not even top 3 in terms of popularity. It's not an American "thing", if that makes sense.

Hellcrooner
09-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Soccer expands to every corner of the earth Croon. I understand your POV however.

I have a question are those boards American? Because while soccer is the sport with the most youth leagues in America it's not even top 3 in terms of popularity. It's not an American "thing", if that makes sense.

No, but the idiom used is English, wich is the first i thought that could drag posters from Psd, but if theres enough english speakers worlwide for soccer forums there should be for nba too.

Asa matter of fact, i only know like 3 more people that like Nba among my friends and only 1 is really really in detail into it.

Wich is curious too since i played in the lower divisions of my team club ( who is often in the top league) and during the years i had like 40 or 50 different teamates, it woudl be logical they were into nba ( actually they were into it in the late 80s first 90s) but now they dont care.

NYKalltheway
09-13-2011, 05:50 PM
NBA is probably at its lowest point (4-5 year margin) since 1987 internationally. Unless a new Chinese legend comes on board. In Europe nobody talks about the NBA anymore, you don't see the Michael Jordan, Hameek Olajuwon, Shaq, Karl Malone etc commercials over here. People do not know who Lebron, Wade, Rose and Howard are (despite the effort to sell jerseys, people buy Rose jerseys just because they are BULLS, different mentality -> attachment to team not players etc). Kobe is still popular but he's declining and him not being in the finals makes the NBA fanbase diminsih. Nowitzki doesn't have a great following aside from German fans, could be a reason why sales are still high internationally, Germans are rich ;)

Any data on whose jerseys are sold more? And which team's products?

I've never seen any Milwaukee, Indiana, Portland, Clippers, Nets, New Orleans Hornets, Bobcats, Grizzlies etc merchandise in any European country I've been to (could have seen a few Gasol-Grizzlies jerseys if I'd been there)

And teams like Atlanta Hawks, Detroit Pistons, Houston Rockets are jerseys of Dominique Wilkins, Isiah Thomas, Hakeem Olajuwon etc

Only Chicago, Lakers, New York, Philadelphia, Miami, Orlando, Boston and Dallas(recent trend) sell merchandise in Europe overall. The rest are circumstantial. If people are still in love with their 80s and 90s teams, well, it doesn't make a difference with popularity of the NBA. Most NBA fans from the 80s and 90s have told their children about the great Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, Sixers, Bulls, Knicks, Pacers etc and they got caught up with it. My dad was obsessed with the Lakers back in the 70s and 80s, didn't care if I even liked the NBA. I might have gotten a Lakers shirt when I was a kid from him but it doesn't mean it's proof that the LEAGUE is popular.

Lakers, Celtics, Bulls and Knicks >>> NBA individually in the eyes of the average "international" fan.