PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone reported what 8 teams turned a profit?

beasted86
09-13-2011, 11:53 AM
NBA Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver said 22 of the 30 teams are losing money, but has anyone reported which teams are turning a profit?

We can assume Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, Heat, Celtics, and Rockets are 6 teams that made a profit, but who are the other 2?

Shmontaine
09-13-2011, 11:56 AM
mavs & spurs??

beasted86
09-13-2011, 11:56 AM
I want to think Orlando Magic & LA Clippers are the other 2, but I really don't know.

Not sure Mavs can pay out $86M in player salaries alone and still turn a profit with how Mark Cuban is loud mouthing in those meetings.

chicago lulz
09-13-2011, 12:14 PM
I'd imagine Orlando being one. Maybe Oklahoma City as well? That whole "college town" mentality or whatever, they seem like they would pack the stadium.

Hellcrooner
09-13-2011, 12:15 PM
clippers.

surprising UH?

but true

asandhu23
09-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Warriors is one of them. The team sold for a record amount 450 million dollars for a reason.

Shmontaine
09-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Warriors is one of them. The team sold for a record amount 450 million dollars for a reason.

??? not sure if that matters man...

40% of that was debt... i don't think their operating income offset the interest on the debt...

i'd be willing to bet that the warriors definitely were one of the teams that turned a profit last year...

juno10
09-13-2011, 12:45 PM
raptors for sure were one of those teams.

juno10
09-13-2011, 12:54 PM
in terms of operating income:
1.knicks
2.bulls
3.rockets
4.lakers
5.pistons
6.raptors

asandhu23
09-13-2011, 01:01 PM
??? not sure if that matters man...

40% of that was debt... i don't think their operating income offset the interest on the debt...

i'd be willing to bet that the warriors definitely were one of the teams that turned a profit last year...

you can add die hard loyal fans. W's games are always packed.

yanks19791024
09-13-2011, 01:07 PM
IMO the number is prob like 2-3 teams that lost money, its all about GREED!!!!!!!!

Shmontaine
09-13-2011, 01:58 PM
you can add die hard loyal fans. W's games are always packed.

??? okay...

Sactown
09-13-2011, 03:30 PM
I know Golden State is one, ESPN was talking about it a few months ago

likemystylez
09-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Im pretty sure lacob said the warriors were profitable in an interview on KNBR... and you might say of course the owner would say that... but NOT in the wake of a lock out that is hinging on the owners claiming not to be profitable.

Cano4prez
09-13-2011, 06:05 PM
I know Golden State is one, ESPN was talking about it a few months ago

This the Warriors made more than the Heat and Bulls i'm pretty sure

likemystylez
09-13-2011, 06:53 PM

I dont know about the bulls, chicago and the chicago area is a huge market. Chicago is the 3rd biggest city in the country.... and that franchise has been (historically special) not that long ago. I would expect them to be a top 3 or 4 team in revenue.

Miami had a lot of hype this season, but I have no idea how they panned out.

beasted86
09-13-2011, 06:59 PM

I doubt that.

Cal827
09-13-2011, 07:27 PM
I just have a feeling that Orlando isn't one of the teams. They have spent a ton in salary for guys like Howard, Arenas, Hedon't, etc.. And on top of that, don't they now have a new state-of-the-art building? I'm going to guess they have to pay a lot of money to maintain that.

ESPN recently had an article on which teams would prefer revenue sharing. If this article is somewhat valid, then I think basically any team that doesn't want revenue sharing (minus teams like Dallas) probably either made money or lost the least amount of money. From the Article, The Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, Warriors are going to be clearly against. The OP also mentioned teams like Miami probably made a ton (they are 50-50 on it, but with the formation of the big 3, they are probably going to be one of the most profitable teams for the next half decade). The Nets and Clippers haven't realized their potential markets just yet (Winning team would help!), but the Clippers are in LA, and averaged about 94% attendance per home game last year, so I think they are one of the teams that made profit.

Celtics, Lakers, Knicks, Heat, Clippers, Bulls, and Houston. I think the 8th team on that list is a toss up between the Spurs, and the Raptors. Since the Raps are the only team here in Canada, they have some good TV deals, not , and the fans haven't really stopped going to the games just because of the teams performance (about 84% capacity per) in a building that isn't state-of-the-art anymore, and with owners that pinch pennies when the teams are bad (MLSE owns the Raptors+ Maple Leafs). The one issue is the team's salary last year (They had to pay Peja a decent amount of his $15 million contract to buy him out, as well as paying him from December-February after trading with New Orleans) The Spurs and Blazers pack their respective buildings, but they both have spent a decent amount of salary (also, the spurs have a fairly new stadium they play in).

This is what I think though based on the numbers given and the alleged statement that 22 teams lost money. As someone said earlier, the owners are probably lying to us (or avoiding tax credits they always receive before they post numbers) and there are probably like 2 teams losing money lol :facepalm:

Sources:
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/31683/nba-owners-bargaining-positions
http://hoopshype.com/salaries.htm
http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/homePct

JasonJohnHorn
09-14-2011, 12:04 AM
The Raptors was one of the teams I remember.

Tony_Starks
09-14-2011, 01:15 AM
The players have disputed the whole 8 teams deal btw.... they say it was more like half and half by their calculations. I guess it depends who you believe.

But one thing that no one disputes is that they count the cost of purchasing a team as part of their "debt." So as these billionaires are paying back the loans for purchasing teams they include that, which the players are objecting to saying thats on them.

ramansingh3
09-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Although the Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, Celtics and Raptors are expected to be the biggest paying teams, all eyes turn to Lakers owner Jerry Buss, who -- in some proposals under consideration -- would be asked to share as much as $50 million next season alone. That puts him at the top of the list, followed by Knicks owner James Dolan, with no one else close.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=truehoop&id=31941

There's 5 teams. I'm assuming judging by this article.

asandhu23
09-20-2011, 01:07 AM
I doubt that.

Have you seen how loyal Warriors fans are?

here is a reminder...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slj6CMnR02o

the games are packed even with years of irrelevancy.

beasted86
09-20-2011, 01:21 AM
Have you seen how loyal Warriors fans are?

here is a reminder...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slj6CMnR02o

the games are packed even with years of irrelevancy.

I am a Warriors fan. They are my 2nd favorite team.

I have seen how packed their arena is... but I've also seen the Heat ticket prices on my debit card receipt when I purchase them, and I know the Warriors aren't charging the same. The Heat sold out every night in ticket sales, and got a lot more TV money than the Warriors for certain.

Gary Reasons
09-20-2011, 01:33 AM
nets

goldenstater
09-20-2011, 01:37 AM

I have seen how packed their arena is... but I've also seen the Heat ticket prices on my debit card receipt when I purchase them, and I know the Warriors aren't charging the same. The Heat sold out every night in ticket sales, and got a lot more TV money than the Warriors for certain.

im sure the Heat games are now more expensive but dont kid your self, W's tickets are out of control expensive, which blows my mind( probably just arena games in general)! unless you get one of those packages deals. true about the last part because of the big 3, but the media market in the bay area is larger than miami area. where you guys run away with it is in national coverage due to your relevancy. were not good and haven't been for a long time so that hurts us over here.

LakersMaster24
09-20-2011, 01:37 AM
The Clippers games are always packed, and now with the Griffin hype, I am sure they made a lot more money.

asandhu23
09-20-2011, 01:47 AM

Oh you have no idea, bro. W's former owner gave mediocre results for a shitload of money. He charged us as if W's were a championship contender every year. Sad thing is those prices never went down because our fans are so loyal and on the San Francisco peninsula, there are some seriously die hard fans in some of the highest earning neighborhoods in US ( think my town Hillsborough, Woodside, Atherton, Los Altos, Palo Alto , etc ).

TrueFan420
09-20-2011, 02:51 AM
id find the article if i had the time, maybe later, but the warriors owner was asked if they were profitable even after they had bought the team and he said, in so many words, that the warriors were not close to the red.

Hellcrooner
09-20-2011, 03:10 AM
teams complaining bout not filling the seats should try this ancient tactic practized by the hidden cult of the saulty goat of ram-pan-pim

LOWER THE PRICE OF THE TICKETS.

The price of average nba ticket is INMORAL, only the ****ing elite of the city can go watch games.

sargon21
09-20-2011, 09:34 AM
^ not really, you can get standing room for like 10-20 bucks

goldenstater
09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
^ not really, you can get standing room for like 10-20 bucks

not really at a Warriors game, ive never bought a 10 dollar ticket there. maybe if its a monday night against the TWolves( no offense to the TWolves). ive bouht Lakers and Clippers tickets at the Staple Center for cheaper than what ive bought W's tickets for. now thats *** backwards if you ask me. i saw the Lakers/Nuggets( a few years back mind you) for 15 bucks. i paid 45 bucks to sit at the top of the arena in Oakland for the nuggets game there and have also paid 75. i just dont get it. my guess is that they can only fit 20 grand i the arenas so they need to jack up the prices to compensate for there lack of seats that arenas have compared to football and baseball. hell i paid 6 bucks o sit in at&t for a Giants game and they won the freakin WS! im curious to know how much tickets range around the league that the rest of you guys pay( all fans chime in please). i honestly feel the W's tickets cost more than most which blows my mind but dont really have that much of a gauge since i have only been to LA ,MSG, and Oaklands.

likemystylez
09-20-2011, 12:22 PM
not really at a Warriors game, ive never bought a 10 dollar ticket there. maybe if its a monday night against the TWolves( no offense to the TWolves). ive bouht Lakers and Clippers tickets at the Staple Center for cheaper than what ive bought W's tickets for. now thats *** backwards if you ask me. i saw the Lakers/Nuggets( a few years back mind you) for 15 bucks. i paid 45 bucks to sit at the top of the arena in Oakland for the nuggets game there and have also paid 75. i just dont get it. my guess is that they can only fit 20 grand i the arenas so they need to jack up the prices to compensate for there lack of seats that arenas have compared to football and baseball. hell i paid 6 bucks o sit in at&t for a Giants game and they won the freakin WS! im curious to know how much tickets range around the league that the rest of you guys pay( all fans chime in please). i honestly feel the W's tickets cost more than most which blows my mind but dont really have that much of a gauge since i have only been to LA ,MSG, and Oaklands.

the revenue is like 25-30% based on attendance and money made at the arena. Most of the money is made via tv deals and marketing partnerships. I think the warriors were profitable- seeing as lacob has gone on record saying they are making money, but it has very little to do with ticketprices in the nosebleed section.

Rivera
09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
teams complaining bout not filling the seats should try this ancient tactic practized by the hidden cult of the saulty goat of ram-pan-pim

LOWER THE PRICE OF THE TICKETS.

The price of average nba ticket is INMORAL, only the ****ing elite of the city can go watch games.

couldnt disagree with you more croom

an nba finals ticket for lakers celtics cost as much as a regular season football game between the pats and bills...pats and bills actually cost more

fadedmario
09-20-2011, 12:27 PM
couldnt disagree with you more croom

an nba finals ticket for lakers celtics cost as much as a regular season football game between the pats and bills...pats and bills actually cost more

The NBA plays 4-5 times more games than the NFL.

lakerboy
09-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Holy crap the Pistons actually earned money??

lakerboy
09-20-2011, 12:29 PM
The Clippers games are always packed, and now with the Griffin hype, I am sure they made a lot more money.

Clipper games are NOT packed. I went to a Clipper game vs the Spurs this year and the place was like 3/4 empty.

beasted86
09-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Oh you have no idea, bro. W's former owner gave mediocre results for a shitload of money. He charged us as if W's were a championship contender every year. Sad thing is those prices never went down because our fans are so loyal and on the San Francisco peninsula, there are some seriously die hard fans in some of the highest earning neighborhoods in US ( think my town Hillsborough, Woodside, Atherton, Los Altos, Palo Alto , etc ).

A little over a year ago Heat tickets were $15 for the top of the nose bleeds before the big 3. Now that same ticket, the very lowest ticket you can find... is $45 for the same 30th row of Section 400.

The only reason I'm able to afford to go to games is my brother works for Carnival. Without the discount lower level starts at $120 each from behind the basket.

fadedmario
09-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Holy crap the Pistons actually earned money??

The Pistons are one of the only NBA teams that own their own arena and operate without debt. That's why.

LakersMaster24
09-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Clipper games are NOT packed. I went to a Clipper game vs the Spurs this year and the place was like 3/4 empty.

That's weird, hmm. Everytime I go to a Clippers game its pretty full. People go to Clippers games because the tickets are cheaper than the Lakers games so everyone just goes there for their "dosage" of ball.

likemystylez
09-20-2011, 10:17 PM
That's weird, hmm. Everytime I go to a Clippers game its pretty full. People go to Clippers games because the tickets are cheaper than the Lakers games so everyone just goes there for their "dosage" of ball.

LOL-dont people go to games because they are fans of one of the teams (usually the home team). LOL your saying people go to a clippers game because they would rather go to a laker game but the seats are too expensive or sold out?

LOl do the fans even cheer for the clippers or are they just there "getting their fix"