PDA

View Full Version : Shaq told Danny Ainge not to do the Perkins trade

Gators123
09-13-2011, 12:14 AM
http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/09/12/shaq-revives-scrutiny-of-celts-perkins-trade/

My mind was on winning the whole thing, and we had a chance to get the second spot (in the Eastern Conference), and we ended up getting the fourth spot. I even told (Boston General Manager) Danny Ainge not to do the Kendrick Perkins deal with Oklahoma City. I told them I might not be ready, and Iím definitely not coming back. Those guys did what theyíve got to do. I wasnít surprised; Iíve seen it before. They say all that blah, blah, but you know itís always going to be something different.

llemon
09-13-2011, 12:20 AM
What less would you expect from the Big Aristotle.

Who exactly bestowed that nickname on Shaq?

gwrighter
09-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Everyone & their mama knew that when they made that trade they were closing the window on that season.

Andrew32
09-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Shaqs wisdom is boundless

Bruno
09-13-2011, 01:20 AM
IMO the Boston inner circle didn't have faith that the team would be healthy enough to compete come playoffs. They made a financial move for the future and sacrificed a shot at the title (they've already gotten what they paid for). Sucks for the Boston fans but IMO that's what happened. They weren't going to over pay/get nothing for Perkins just to give this group one last chance.

hgtiger32
09-13-2011, 01:40 AM
I'd love to see Shaq as a GM. The players on his team would have a short leash. Would love to see him wheel and deal.

LTBaByyy
09-13-2011, 01:57 AM
Yeah it was dumb right when it was pulled but honestly the way Perkins played, The Celtics won that trade.

You will see when Doc said Jeff Green this year will be a BIG part of the team this year and from now on.

PERFECT 6th man for them. GOing out on a limb and saying he will be 6th man of the year next year.

beasted86
09-13-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm still waiting for him to go in a little deeper on the Celtics.

We already know he has talked bad about all his former teams/teammates from past years after leaving. Right now he's 5/6.

avon_barksdale
09-13-2011, 10:22 AM
Yeah it was dumb right when it was pulled but honestly the way Perkins played, The Celtics won that trade.

You will see when Doc said Jeff Green this year will be a BIG part of the team this year and from now on.

PERFECT 6th man for them. GOing out on a limb and saying he will be 6th man of the year next year.

yeah man he will be waaaaaaaaaaay better than big baby in that 6th man spot when green gets them d rotations down

LongWayFromHome
09-13-2011, 12:38 PM
What less would you expect from the Big Aristotle.

Who exactly bestowed that nickname on Shaq?

Shaq did.

I'm pretty sure Shaq has given himself all of his nicknames...kinda lame

bagwell368
09-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Everyone & their mama knew that when they made that trade they were closing the window on that season.

Why?

Perkins was injured, missed games for the Celts and Thunder, and played like garbage in the playoffs (in fact he was dominated in each Series). Why would having him on the Celts have mattered? Keep reading.

The Celts were cooked on the bench due to injuries at trade time - check the games played by most of the players they dealt in the same period. Green at the time he was dealt was 2nd in minutes played behind Durant. Kristic in his first 10 games with the Celts was excellent then got hurt not once but twice, only coming back to himself in the Heat Series at the end.

I promise you if the Celts had Perkins rather then Green and Kristic (Doc never was able to figure out how to use Green right, he always has problems with mid season additions - go check). they would have lost the Heat Series just the same.

p.s. after the deal, Ainge gave an interview and said that each Celtic player and coach was polled on the trade AND NOBODY complained. Now obviously Doc had second thoughts and Shaq may have, but either he or Ainge is a liar. My money is on Ainge's version.

smith&wesson
09-13-2011, 04:01 PM
perkins is over rated. jeff green is the better player. ainge made the right move.

bagwell368
09-13-2011, 04:04 PM
IMO the Boston inner circle didn't have faith that the team would be healthy enough to compete come playoffs. They made a financial move for the future and sacrificed a shot at the title (they've already gotten what they paid for). Sucks for the Boston fans but IMO that's what happened. They weren't going to over pay/get nothing for Perkins just to give this group one last chance.

No. An uninjured Krstic, and properly used Green, and Davis not going into a Dec->playoff meltdown of epic proportions (not seen/known at deal time) is a clearly stronger team then the Celts with an injured and semi useful Perkins.

Not to just you - but I get a kick when people that don't pay attention to the every day goings on in another city have opinions, and then try and sell them. No sale here.

Bruno
09-13-2011, 04:23 PM
No. An uninjured Krstic, and properly used Green, and Davis not going into a Dec->playoff meltdown of epic proportions (not seen/known at deal time) is a clearly stronger team then the Celts with an injured and semi useful Perkins.

Not to just you - but I get a kick when people that don't pay attention to the every day goings on in another city have opinions, and then try and sell them. No sale here.

And I get a kick when locals from given sports teams tell other fans that they have no right to formulate their own opinion on "their team".

If you're Danny Ainge, you're a damn fool for putting your playoff hopes on the shoulders O'neal and Krstic (unless the looming lockout, and massive extension that Perkins was about to get took over as priority, which I think it did). Had the starting five of Rondo-Allen-Pierce-KG-Perkins ever lost a playoff series where all five were healthy and in the starting lineup? No. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (unless your priorities shift). IMO you put far too much merit into the potential of an uninjured Krstic.

bagwell368
09-13-2011, 04:53 PM
And I get a kick when locals from given sports teams tell other fans that they have no right to formulate their own opinion on "their team".

If you're Danny Ainge, you're a damn fool for putting your playoff hopes on the shoulders O'neal and Krstic (unless the looming lockout, and massive extension that Perkins was about to get took over as priority, which I think it did). Had the starting five of Rondo-Allen-Pierce-KG-Perkins ever lost a playoff series where all five were healthy and in the starting lineup? No. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (unless your priorities shift). IMO you put far too much merit into the potential of an uninjured Krstic.

OK, sorry, after fighting tong wars last year on this topic I'm a bit trigger happy.

Perkins could not be resigned next year, it has nothing to do with money per se, but NBA rules said the Celts could only offer $22M for 4 years for '12, and Perkins ended up up with four for like $34.2M or something similar. So money played a role, but Perkins abysmal physical situation last year (and please name me how many 270+ lb NBA players have had his sort of knee issues, and been worth having 2-4 years later? - Both in terms of money AND product on the floor.

Also when the Celts traded him he wasn't playing, he went on to miss weeks of games for OKC, he was recovering from an ACL/MCL surgery from the prior June, and had injured his other knee and missed a bunch of games earlier in the season. He had little mobility on defense, and his rebounding was also down, and his blocks was way down.

So I can't see a healthy Krstic who did a ton for the Boston offense (shooting %, range, offensive rebounding, passing and dribbling - all well better then Perkins) when he first came, not being the rough equiv of Perkins value wise (actually better), Green is a big side bonus for a team drowned in injuries at or near the trade date - get ready for the list: (Daniels, Davis, Jermaine, Shaq, West, Erden, Von Wafer, Harangody, Nate) . Jermaine came back to play credibly in the playoffs, so the Krstic/O'Neal combo couldn't have been much worse then the Perkins/O'Neal team.

Rondo later did become injured -- so, so much for the big shot starting 5 (all besides Rondo notably down from the '08 Title group). KG had 5 good quarters in the entire Heat Series. Pierce played horribly down the stretch of the last two Heat games. Before he was hurt Rondo didn't play well either.

Perkins even in his prime '07-'08 form couldn't possibly lift all that on his back. You put way too much on a broken down Center with two bum knees carrying around 290 lbs that NEVER has played full starter minutes because of his excess weight (his whole career). He's a 24-29 min a game player. Not a 36-37 minute a game player. And his offensive has always been elemental - so weak at times that he wasn't even covered in playoff games, except to box out from time to time, or rip off his dribble to the basket. And oh yes, he's an meh offensive rebounder even when healthy, no better then Krstic last year for instance. This has been a big problem for the Celts for several years - in part due to Perkins inability/disinterest in doing it (and yes team philosophy)

P.S. Perkins PER last year was 9.6 and his WS/48 a .063 - he was even weaker on OKC then the Celts. Please explain how this guy is going to save the Celts? In the playoffs a 6.1 PER, .017 WS/48 (ouch), 4.5 PPG, 6.7 RPG - on .453/.576 shooting...

Ainge made the right move if everyone was healthy (minus Shaq), or what happened happened. Either way, he was right.

Testaverde16
09-13-2011, 05:01 PM
shaq just wants us to think that he is a genius... who cares

THE MTL
09-13-2011, 05:05 PM
It was the right move. Celtics were (still are) way too old. And everyone knew this past season was pretty much their last chance at another championship. Shaq should have been ready to go for the playoffs, he had off majority of the season. but things just go wrong i suppose.

gwrighter
09-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Why?

Perkins was injured, missed games for the Celts and Thunder, and played like garbage in the playoffs (in fact he was dominated in each Series). Why would having him on the Celts have mattered? Keep reading.

The Celts were cooked on the bench due to injuries at trade time - check the games played by most of the players they dealt in the same period. Green at the time he was dealt was 2nd in minutes played behind Durant. Kristic in his first 10 games with the Celts was excellent then got hurt not once but twice, only coming back to himself in the Heat Series at the end.

I promise you if the Celts had Perkins rather then Green and Kristic (Doc never was able to figure out how to use Green right, he always has problems with mid season additions - go check). they would have lost the Heat Series just the same.

p.s. after the deal, Ainge gave an interview and said that each Celtic player and coach was polled on the trade AND NOBODY complained. Now obviously Doc had second thoughts and Shaq may have, but either he or Ainge is a liar. My money is on Ainge's version.

Thinned out the C spot on the roster. Kristic isn't an intimidating C, Perkins was. Also a loss in chemistry, getting guys up to speed on defensive rotations. There was no clear cut starting C on the roster anymore.

bagwell368
09-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Thinned out the C spot on the roster. Kristic isn't an intimidating C, Perkins was. Also a loss in chemistry, getting guys up to speed on defensive rotations. There was no clear cut starting C on the roster anymore.

So a Center that played poorly all year long (and worse in the playoffs) is going to save the Celts against the Heat?

Perkins - no lift - few blocks, little lateral movement - means his D was meh
KG - played 5 good quarters in the Heat Series
PP - was brutal down the stretch of the last two games
RA - did his thing
RR - wasn't very good before he got hurt, whoa after

To these broken down aging 4 guys, an injured Perkins will make the difference? That's a fairly tale I'll never buy. Who plays Greens minutes? VonWafer?

Doc Rivers has never blended mid season additions into existing teams, last year was no exception. Rondo's immaturity and emotional instability let the deal get to him an extraordinary degree. So much so, that I do not believe Rondo can be a main part of any title team in Boston. If the right deal comes along - pull the plug.

Jermaine played pretty well in the playoffs, and Krstic got hurt twice after the deal, wave a wand and make him healthy and that the end of that complaint.

Go ahead and look up how Krstic did between 2/26 and 3/13, those first 8 games after the deal were in my opinion the high water mark for the Celts that year, and Krstic. Pts 13.5 Reb 8.75 - that's better then any 8 game segment of Perkins year, and MORE then enough to replace Perkins, never mind the addition of Green. In Game 7 against the Heat in 15 minutes Krstic had 8 points, 2 blocks, and 2 rebounds - when his injury cleared up to allow him to play - and Doc allowed him to play.

In the matching Game 7 against Memphis the immortal Perkins chipped in 4 points, 3 rebounds, 4 fouls, 2 blocks in 31 minutes. In 17 total playoff games Perkins had double digit rebounds twice (11,13), and had more then 7 points once (11). He had 77 points and 57 fouls.

iggypop123
09-14-2011, 01:55 AM
danny couldnt call mchale for a favor. okc wasnt stupid to give harden.

llemon
09-17-2011, 03:25 PM
In Game 7 against the Heat in 15 minutes Krstic had 8 points, 2 blocks, and 2 rebounds - when his injury cleared up to allow him to play - and Doc allowed him to play.

Don't believe there was a game 7 vs. the Heat.

Corey
09-17-2011, 04:02 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651898